• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

The hide bbq team is bad,

It's nation wide.
I competed in kcbs for a long time, and I have friends all over the country who were interested in bbq competition and wanted to try it out...so, I sent them shirts and they had banners made with my team name. I gave them crash courses in bbq over the phone and almost won the season points one year! Lol

some of them did really well and are top rated competitors now

Bench

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Add these to the Apple cider vinegar.

E

IMG_20200710_135226776.jpg

Add these to the Apple cider vinegar.

E

View attachment 7371158
When I was a kid, I was stomping around in dad's garden and ran up on a couple rows of these. Didn't ask (self-correcting mistake) and assumed they were little bell peppers. Grabbed one and bit it in half. Spent the next hour or so spraying creek water in my mouth from the irrigation pump. Years later, I found out he watched the whole thing unfold and never said a word. Looking back, its hilarious. Shit was not funny at the time. Had to get tough in my camp hahaha

When I was a kid, I was stomping around in dad's garden and ran up on a couple rows of these. Didn't ask (self-correcting mistake) and assumed they were little bell peppers. Grabbed one and bit it in half. Spent the next hour or so spraying creek water in my mouth from the irrigation pump. Years later, I found out he watched the whole thing unfold and never said a word. Looking back, its hilarious. Shit was not funny at the time. Had to get tough in my camp hahaha
That sounds like how my father would do it except he might have busted out laughing at the sight.

Ok, here’s my butt... took about 10 hours at 260-270 with cherry wood.
before:
1594433707583.jpeg

after:
1594433732591.jpeg

and pulled with a piece showing the smoke ring.
1594439719385.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
That's pretty high temp. I usually run around 230.
I ain't complaining. Just saying that you should send me an invite to sample.
Looks friggin good.
I’ve done lower like you’re saying but I’ve found it just takes a little longer. Pork butts are really forgiving if you screw them up but with a good thermometer setup (and a propane smoker lol) it’s pretty hard to screw it up. I just rub it down (usually let it set in the fridge overnight, but didn’t have the time this time) and throw it into the smoker and don’t open the door again until it’s time to take it out. So long as the meat is good I’m all for doing it any way that works!

mans the invite comes with a “must help move” clause... just sayin! 😉

I move boxes and furniture. Everything else gets left.
Am I invited?
I’ve done lower like you’re saying but I’ve found it just takes a little longer. Pork butts are really forgiving if you screw them up but with a good thermometer setup (and a propane smoker lol) it’s pretty hard to screw it up. I just rub it down (usually let it set in the fridge overnight, but didn’t have the time this time) and throw it into the smoker and don’t open the door again until it’s time to take it out. So long as the meat is good I’m all for doing it any way that works!

mans the invite comes with a “must help move” clause... just sayin! 😉

• Haha
Reactions: JBPilot
That's pretty high temp. I usually run around 230.

Run hot and fast... 350-375...

Foil the meat when it hits 160 internal...

Pork shoulder/butt's done in 4-5 hours. Whole packer briskets done in 5-6 hours...

Once you run hot and fast, its hard to go back to low and slow...

Run hot and fast... 350-375...

Foil the meat when it hits 160 internal...

Pork shoulder/butt's done in 4-5 hours. Whole packer briskets done in 5-6 hours...

Once you run hot and fast, its hard to go back to low and slow...

@rjacobs

Sir, I understand "get shit done", but slow cooking meat is an excuse to drink, have buddies over and visit with family you don't like. 😁

E

EDIT: I spelled some shit wrong.

1594512088525.png

My dinner was home-made Madras curry with extra heat (Habanero)... and Busenhalter-6 can't handle spice... I made her sauteed lobster tail on garlic butter naan. With cranberry chutney, cream cheese and raspberry Tabasco.

It apparently came out good.

Right now I am on an endorphin high from the curry... life is good!

Sirhr

PS. Oh and we Yankees can do Southern BBQ just fine thank-you-very much. Just ordered a pig for Aug. 1. Ummmmmm, Eastern Carolina vinegar BBQ!!!!

They are pretty good. My home grown peppers are much hotter than the ones you get at the store and pack a good punch.

Reactions: Nik H
Sir, I understand "get shit done", but slow cooking meat is an excuse to drink, have buddies over and visit with family you don't like. 😁

Yea I dont miss starting the fire at 11pm in order to have meat on by midnight in order to have dinner ready by 6pm... Ill start the fire at 9am, have meat on by 10am, its done by 4pm, in the cooler to rest until dinner at 6pm...

Still plenty of time to do whatever with friends and family...

On another note, a high % of the "competition BBQ" that everybody is trying to copy at home, is all cooked hot and fast.

Yea I dont miss starting the fire at 11pm in order to have meat on by midnight in order to have dinner ready by 6pm... Ill start the fire at 9am, have meat on by 10am, its done by 4pm, in the cooler to rest until dinner at 6pm...

Still plenty of time to do whatever with friends and family...

On another note, a high % of the "competition BBQ" that everybody is trying to copy at home, is all cooked hot and fast.

Low and slow is easier for those of us who don't know what we are doing. I don't know what I'm doing. High and fast would create a new opportunity to ruin food.😁

We broiled flounder last night (no pic). Everglades seasoning, lemon. Hush puppies, slaw, fries. Came out okay.

E

10/10... Did you use actual Udon type noodles for that?
biggrin.gif
No, this was at my only noodle stop here in town. Ramen. But they make it spicy and that side pork is to lust after! I’ll look up the name of the bowl....... Tonkotsu, White shoyu broth, pork belly, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, bok choy, scallion, soft egg and make it spicy!

Low and slow is easier for those of us who don't know what we are doing. I don't know what I'm doing. High and fast would create a new opportunity to ruin food.😁

Surprisingly easy. You HAVE to have a remote thermometer though. And unlike low and slow, from everything I know, foiling is mandatory.

run the smoker at 350-375... it will use a lot of fuel doing this method. I prefer to use charcoal as my main source and then use wood chunks for the smoke. I would guess a 3:1 or 4:1 charcoal:wood chunk ratio. I toss a handful of unlit charcoal in every once in a while. Not a lot cause you will smother the fire, but every ~20-30 minutes ill toss 4-6 pieces in.

At 160 foil the meat.

At 190-195-200 take the meat out, wrap in 2 bath towels and dump in the cooler for 1 hour minimum and up to 4 hours. This step is also mandatory from what I know.

I had been cooking hot and fast for a few years when I lived in Texas the first time. Moved back to Missouri and had a big party(cooked 3 briskets and 3 pork shoulders). I got a buddy who is a fine dining chef... kept telling me it wasn't going to be good, tender, flavorful, etc... When it was time to slice I said "grab a brisket out of the cooler and slice it for me"... He was utterly SHOCKED at the end product... Same with the pork shoulders(I shred them).

I am much more about the final product than how I got there...

Reactions: SCRAM2013
Thanks for the information. That final temperature is pork only I would guess.

E

nah. brisket I usually pull off at 195. some say 200-205 is the perfect temp, but the rest in the cooler will get it all good. 190 is my minimum for briskets.

Im about there with pork also. 190-195-200.... im not to concerned. Pork can tolerate a little more heat as its a bit fattier than brisket. Plus I usually pull pork vs. slicing so you want to cook to a little higher temp anyway.

I do around 200 for the first couple hrs. Not too heavy on the smoke and plenty of air movement. Allows the meat to take the smoke better while not giving a bitter smoke flavor. After that I'll ease the heat up to around 225 to 240.

This is a pork butt. I'll pull at 195. Yes, I'm playing with plastic army men.

IMG_1489.JPG

@bogeybrown where you at? Been a while since we've seen a hunk of meat cooked over open wood coals, like God intended.

Can't forget about your internet deplorable buddies!

WTF! Skirt steak? Thought I thawed two beef filets. Turned out to be two skirt steaks. WTH do you do with a skirt steak?