• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

ok, nothing "homemade" but a tip for folks that want something different and easy to try that i can recommend
these curry "bricks" come in mild medium and hot (i like medium, which is not very hot).
you can typically find this at krogers or ralphs. in the asian food section.
you can cook some some vegetables with or without meat, and once cooked you add the curry bricks and simmer for 5 minutes until it gets thick.
you can server over rice or whatever you want.
if you have ever had japanese katsu curry (breaded pork or chicken cutlet with curry) this is similar to that.

003012581-1

Katsu_Curry_0858sq-500x500.jpg

ok, nothing "homemade" but a tip for folks that want something different and easy to try that i can recommend
these curry "bricks" come in mild medium and hot (i like medium, which is not very hot).
you can typically find this at krogers or ralphs. in the asian food section.
you can cook some some vegetables with or without meat, and once cooked you add the curry bricks and simmer for 5 minutes until it gets thick.
you can server over rice or whatever you want.
if you have ever had japanese katsu curry (breaded pork or chicken cutlet with curry) this is similar to that.

003012581-1

Katsu_Curry_0858sq-500x500.jpg

one of my favorites! I use the Vermont curry (has a slight hint of apple for sweetness).Brown some stew meat, carrots, onions, taters, and boil some rice. Quick and delicious. I’ve also put this in pie crust and froze it for curry pot pies.

Reactions: theLBC
When I was young and dumb, we would go hunting and had a large pot of "camp chili" .

Rule was any mannor of critter was ok to add to the pot once fur was removed. The running pot was replenished as was necessary with meat, spices, onions chili powder ect.

Results will vary. It was a tradition.

I prefer my wifes 1/2 hour chili or my actual bowl of red if I have all the peppers and time.

Poors Pfake Pho

Had a handfull of leftover steak shreds from philly cheesesteak sandwiches. Added butter, green onions and soy sauce.

A 5 minute meal if you have steak scraps. I use the spicy version.

20210118_124840.jpg

20210118_130622.jpg

Add a medium fried egg and some cheese to that and it’s a meal fit for a king
I get the egg, used in a lot of Asian cooking. If I had planned ahead it would have been nice.

To make it even better next time I will use broth instead of water.
For 5 minutes of work it was pretty cool.

I do not get the cheese reference, I have not seen it used much in Asian food ?

Any ideas for some leftover smoked brisket ? Trying to think of something cool to do.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I get the egg, used in a lot of Asian cooking. If I had planned ahead it would have been nice.

To make it even better next time I will use broth instead of water.
For 5 minutes of work it was pretty cool.

I do not get the cheese reference, I have not seen it used much in Asian food ?

Any ideas for some leftover smoked brisket ? Trying to think of something cool to do.
Cheese is probably just a Korean version that most of the little Korean kitchens on base cook up for the GIs. It sure was good though. The broth would make it way better flavor wise!

As for the leftover brisket, make some shredded bbq, shredded brisket stew or soup, pot stickers, steamed dumplings, or maybe some twist on tacos or burritos. You might even get a decent egg roll out of it?

Ok.... so need help from one of you Galloping Gour-mets...

How the hell do I get breading to stick to Jalapeno poppers? Damn things must be coated with teflon.

Thinking I need to scotch-brite them before battering?

Cheers,

SIrhr

Tonite's were still awesome. But if I could get the breading to stick better, they would be even more better. This time stuffed with Gouda, extra sharp cheddar and smoked bacon, with a little Sour Cream to make the cheeses all blend together. Oh and this time, they were hot! I mean hot! Most of them we get up here are so mild as to be barely worth the trouble. Hit the hot jackpot this time.

• Haha
Reactions: 1J04 and Snuby642
batter?
just egg should stick, then panko or bread crumbs.

batter?
just egg should stick, then panko or bread crumbs.
That’s what I tried... egg doesn’t stick and the Pablo came off in sheets in the deep fryer.

The best ones actually came when I made corn muffin mix a little soupy and dip them in the corn muffin mix. Then instead of deep frying it I put those in the toaster oven. That was wicked good. But the bread crumb ones, the bread crumbs all fall off in the deep fryer. It’s like the egg doesn’t want to stick to the shiny outer skin of the jalapeño. Oh well keep trying. Cheers

That’s what I tried... egg doesn’t stick and the Pablo came off in sheets in the deep fryer.

The best ones actually came when I made corn muffin mix a little soupy and dip them in the corn muffin mix. Then instead of deep frying it I put those in the toaster oven. That was wicked good. But the bread crumb ones, the bread crumbs all fall off in the deep fryer. It’s like the egg doesn’t want to stick to the shiny outer skin of the jalapeño. Oh well keep trying. Cheers
try milk and flour first and let it dry. this might stick better and then give the rest something to stick to.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic

How the hell do I get breading to stick to Jalapeno poppers? Damn things must be coated with teflon.

Cheers,

SIrhr

Tonite's were still awesome. But if I could get the breading to stick better, they would be even more better. This time stuffed with Gouda, extra sharp cheddar and smoked bacon, with a little Sour Cream to make the cheeses all blend together. Oh and this time, they were hot! I mean hot! Most of them we get up here are so mild as to be barely worth the trouble. Hit the hot jackpot this time.
Try roasting them first to get the skin not so slickery (not a real word).

If that doesn’t work, 3m makes a great product, just not sure how it tastes?

Reactions: Snuby642
Toss them whole on the grill or grill basket flip them around often till they brown / black blister.

Quickly toss them in a (paper) sack and seal it up.
Let them cool.

They can now be peeled under running water easily, if a little skin stays it's not a problem. Seeds come out of a slit easily.

This improves flavor and the flour or cornstarch will stick then your egg / breading or batter.

Nothing sticks to the shiny skin well.

Chicken Enchiladas in The House (because the weather sucks!):

Break out the cast iron yo! Chicken in Adobo sauce on the "grill". Cast iron on the stove as the weather sucks!

Chicken.jpg
Chicken II.jpg

Chop that shit into shreds. Wrap them in Burrito shells stuffed with chicken, cheese, black beans, green chilis, fire roasted corn, and enchilada red sauce. (All canned tonight, sorry!)

Bake till done with Enchilada red sauce on top, and cheese.... (375 or so) for 30 mins....

And there you have in the House/Canned chicken enchiladas. It'll do in a pinch! My Commie kids like the Black Olives on top... Meh. Not what I wanted, but what works for tonight!

20210205_180615.jpg

Well I reckon I may not be able to compete with some of that genuine hillbilly fare...or frisco dyke plate...but here it goes...diced monterey jack and colbly cheese, and mushrooms mixed into ground beef (grass fed :rolleyes:, so they say, but I've seen cartoons of cows smoking cigarettes until a car drives by and then they act like cows doing cow stuff..:cautious:..who knows..) then topped with bacon, jalapeno poppers and a slice of cheese. Toasted bun because that's how it's done up here in the north. Ya'll remember the north? Kicked ass back in the mid 1860's....anywho...roasted spuds with salt, pepper, olive oil, skins on because that's how a real service rifle slut eats potatoes. Hey...Al gore...did I spell that right?? Washed down with a japanese whisky courtesy of my daughter from this past Christmas. 5 shots of that booze and I'm still thirsty...:unsure:....

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

Well I reckon I may not be able to compete with some of that genuine hillbilly fare...or frisco dyke plate...but here it goes...diced monterey jack and colbly cheese, and mushrooms mixed into ground beef (grass fed :rolleyes:, so they say, but I've seen cartoons of cows smoking cigarettes until a car drives by and then they act like cows doing cow stuff..:cautious:..who knows..) then topped with bacon, jalapeno poppers and a slice of cheese. Toasted bun because that's how it's done up here in the north. Ya'll remember the north? Kicked ass back in the mid 1860's....anywho...roasted spuds with salt, pepper, olive oil, skins on because that's how a real service rifle slut eats potatoes. Hey...Al gore...did I spell that right?? Washed down with a japanese whisky courtesy of my daughter from this past Christmas. 5 shots of that booze and I'm still thirsty...:unsure:....

View attachment 7548750
View attachment 7548751
Grass fed cow you say?
6B014048-571A-4C19-BB5C-25BDEB4E6155.jpeg

Haven't posted up in my Nom Nom Nom thread for a while, so I started this last night. We'll see how it goes. I'll finish it off regarding the smoke on the Traeger. I wish I would have had bone in meat, but no. So I used what I had, boneless, skinless Breasts. Cut them in half and scored them accordingly.

Pics of the disaster when I'm done tonight. Oh, of course I tried the yogurt n spices as I was adding everything. The finished product was AMAZING. Not for the faint of heart. I love spicy Indian food.

Cheers,

SIrhr

Add a touch of water to your egg and mix it well. Roll your popper in the flour, hit the egg wash, then the panko, then hit the egg again and then the panko one more time. You should be good.

And the rest of you STOP drying out your boneless, skinless chicken Breasts. And don't tell me they weren't dry either. ;)

Add a touch of water to your egg and mix it well. Roll your popper in the flour, hit the egg wash, then the panko, then hit the egg again and then the panko one more time. You should be good.

And the rest of you STOP drying out your boneless, skinless chicken Breasts. And don't tell me they weren't dry either. ;)
Boneless/skinless chicken breast. Place in ziplock and beat with smooth side of meat mallet just enough to even the thickness across the whole breast. Cook with high heat. Cooks evenly while also adding surface area for sauce, char, anything other than bland chicken breast. Don't you beat your meat?

• Haha
Reactions: tomcatmv and 1J04
Boneless/skinless chicken breast. Place in ziplock and beat with smooth side of meat mallet just enough to even the thickness across the whole breast. Cook with high heat. Cooks evenly while also adding surface area for sauce, char, anything other than bland chicken breast. Don't you beat your meat?

Yes. Or just use the edge of a saucer or plate. Same same but always even it out. 💪

Oh good lord yes Hic! Nice grab! Beautiful!

Well round two of beef stew. Something kept telling me it would taste better in the crockpot, so I had to try. Perfect weather for it as it is STILL raining here. It should be ready by dinner time
935BFB8A-2B39-44AC-B619-C84391865214.jpeg

Texas winter storm project.
A pork butt (shoulder blade roast).

Season and cook on 220 f till internal hits 200 f .

Texmex it, carnitas and tamales.
Never made my own tamales.

Will see how this goes.

Smoked beef ribs and country style ribs today for supper. This is the remnants of a bunch of damn good canivore food.
PXL_20210213_232046518.jpg

PXL_20210213_232038708.jpg

Now these get to stay overnight in the smoker.
PXL_20210213_214139435.jpg

It's gonna be hard to sleep!!

• Love
I'm done with the cold my pork but is going in the oven tonight to warm the house, mexican style seasonings.

Did a easy meal tonight.

20210213_173922.jpg

Porkchops, onions and mushroom gravy side of mashed potatoes with a tiny bit of garlic.

Spice pork chop, toss in pan add sliced onions. Sear then turn on low with mushroom soup. 1 hour done and fork tender really didn't need a knife.

20210213_184109.jpg

Simple things.