• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Did a couple pork tenderloins tonight. Wasn’t much leftovers tonight. 😝
9449A9D7-721F-4ECC-8BCD-85C096691752.jpeg
B27C89AC-A6FB-4F81-85BA-FE4A24E8E37A.jpeg
1605C491-D91A-45E3-9F75-3EAC9CE68DC9.jpeg

Nice looking butt's sir.

My butt getting the oven overnite treatment to help heat the house since last I checked was 10 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

Sure that doesn't astound a lot of folks but I live in North Central Texas and it's a once a decade event.

A couple of days ago we cooked a pork butt, mexican spices / no smoke.

Street tacos first nite, awesome we had all the fixings.

Second nite homade tomales with a sauce made from pan juices from the pork seperated from the fat and infused with the red chilli peppers. You could drink it and was awsome.

So third nite was experimental.
Mexican flatbread / Texmex pizza.

20210217_194808.jpg

What we had since grocery stores were shut.

20210217_210211.jpg

20210217_211515.jpg
20210217_214723.jpg

Good looking Q.

I end up with the poors sale stuff.
The stuff the chain grocers cull out.

We usually get the large ones that are rejected for being too large for commercial use (inconsistant size and cook time) and or ugly with a cut or big fat chunk.

I get out my Dexter and cut excess fat and that grey discolored line down one side and call it good.

It's not a cookoff presentation trim but none of my friends or family care. The trimmings are deducted from the package weight and I figure one hour per pound @225-235 f plus a minimum 2 hours resting.

I wrap tight, (not cover) when they start to sweat and that varies with weight thickness and actual avarage temperature held on the stick burner.

I like to start early and can always slow cooking time or increase holding time till serving.

One of these days I'll splurge on a premium grade cut, never have.

Now that we have heat, running water and electricity think I will thaw out a brisket and get after it.

You made me hungry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1J04 and BigTex
I don't do the SRF briskets often but they are something special. I tend to shoot for 275 degrees but a range of 250 to 300 is acceptable on my stick burner. I wrap in butcher paper at 170* internal then start probing at 190*. They usually finish somewhere between 195*and 205*. This one was 18lb and took right at 12hrs, then took a 3hr nap in a cooler.

I still need to get some of that pink butcher paper and try it.

It's funny the different temperatures and processes people use to get a good brisket.

Old school East Texas way was 180-200 f for 22-24 hours and absolute blastfamy if questioned.
They didn't wrap nothing and not a thermometer in site. Lol

I stopped making substandard brisket as soon as I started wrapping and using a thermometer.

I think the main reason I want to try the butcher paper is to get a little better smoke ring.

I think the East Texas guys got away with size difference because they shoved them so slow.

Reactions: 1J04 and BigTex
Nice sliders.

Has anyone ever tried using shrimp instead? Or would that be a sacrilege ?

Share your basic recipe and I'll try with some shrimp and see.

This was 4 tails about 6oz each.
3 tablespoon of mayonnaise. (Real mayo. Not that sandwich dressing shit)
Chives about 1 tablespoon (give or take) chopped.
A teaspoon of parsley
A teaspoon of dill
A teaspoon of lemon juice
A dash of fresh ground black pepper
Mix and chill in the fridge.
Cook the lobster tails. About a minute per OZ in boiling water. They will curl up when done. Put it ice bath immediately to stop the cooking.
Remove meat, clean mud vein out and chop into cubes. ( Because I used the small rolls. I chopped into small pieces)
Combine the mayo mix and lobster. I use probably about half of the mayo. Add more or less to your taste liking.
The rolls are the split top dinner rolls. I trim some of the sides to butter and toast in a buttered skillet. Use a serated knife to trim.
Slice them down the center and fill.
^^^^^^probably more than you wanted to know. But just in case.

The mayonnaise mixture will taste like it's strong but the flavor profile changes when the lobster is added and in the buttered rolls.
Nice sliders.

Has anyone ever tried using shrimp instead? Or would that be a sacrilege ?

Share your basic recipe and I'll try with some shrimp and see.

Last edited:
I forgot to note that not all of the mayo mix is used when combining the lobster. I probably only use about half. You can add more or less depending on your liking.
I'm going shopping that sounds good.

62 years old and never had a lobster roll.

Last time my wife drug home some small lobster I made lobster and cheesy grits. It was a treat.

Reactions: Snuby642
Pepper Bacon wrapped Pork Loins and Bacon wrapped Filet Mignon last night. Meat is from the Willamette Valley Meat Company. It was INCREDIBLE! And I mean INCREDIBLE!

Let it sit for hours to room temperature. Then a bit of Traeger Spice, fresh ground black pepper, touch of Sea Salt. Both sides. Cranked the Traeger to High with the griddle on it. Just a tpuch of Avocado Oil just before cooking. Four and a half minutes per side, and Whammo!

Melt in your mouth. PERFECT flavor. Melt in your mouth and juicy as hell!

It was so damn good, and we were so impressed with the meat, wife just got back a bit ago from buying the Store out!🤭🥰

IMG_20210226_163616.jpg

IMG_20210226_163619.jpg

20210226_200451.jpg

20210226_215249.jpg

20210226_215245.jpg

20210226_215218.jpg

20210227_110833.jpg

I was browsing the at the store earlier.
View attachment 7568494
The woman had to drag me away from this cooler. Something stooopid about already having four in the freezer and a dozen pounds already smoked a vac packed.
I guess I have an addiction.

I hear you. Not a bad addiction, at all!

BTW Stud, those Lobster Rolls have me salivating! Big Time! So gonna do it. I'm craving Seafood anyhow. 💪

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
It had been a long time since I had a lobster roll. When I saw the tails at the market I started drooling. I searched for the buns and couldn't find any until I saw the buttered top split. Boom!! Those are the berries. Trimmed up the sides and smothered in butter and off to the buttered skillet for toasting.
I hear you. Not a bad addiction, at all!

BTW Stud, those Lobster Rolls have me salivating! Big Time! So gonna do it. I'm craving Seafood anyhow. 💪

• Love
Reactions: 1J04 and lash
I was browsing the at the store earlier.
View attachment 7568494
The woman had to drag me away from this cooler. Something stooopid about already having four in the freezer and a dozen pounds already smoked a vac packed.
I guess I have an addiction.

The local store had them for .99 a pound a few weeks ago. The wife brought a couple of them home, I told her she needed to go back and get a couple more, so I now have 4 in the freezer as well.........

It's been raining for two days and the weatherman say's we have two days to go. I figured I'd keep the smoker rolling and get it vac packed.
The local store had them for .99 a pound a few weeks ago. The wife brought a couple of them home, I told her she needed to go back and get a couple more, so I now have 4 in the freezer as well.........
4 in the freezer is way better than 6 in the store 😁

I use those exact same claws.
we have a good BBQ specialty shop here. Went in to look. Lots of options. Only 1 said Made in USA and they were the most affordable on the rack.
I dont own any deep fryer gloves so havent tried that.

I am gonna do a butt smoking marathon here shortly, for the same reasons
Nothing like warming up a vac pac of good smoked pork on camping trip.....

I also do a carnitas style one in the slow cooker and take that camping in a vac pac as well. MMMM

I tried pork butt swiching from smoked to not.
BBQ has to be smoked and Mexican food is best not smoked for a lot of recipes.

Imho

Reactions: lash
When there's room in the smoker I'll throw in a couple chubs of bologna. I'll buy a five pound roll and cut it into one pound chubs. Peel the wrap and smoke for a couple hours with the butts/ribs/chicken. My kids will steal that shit from my freezer.

Reactions: Snuby642 and lash
Perfect analogy.
"Wrap that shit"
wrap that shit in bacon and cover it with cheese. Pretty soon you forget the fact there anything healthy in the middle at all
Whatever health positive I miss from not eating it. I'll get from a vitamin.

I have a rule. Try everything and if you don't like it try it another way. Still don't like it. Move on.
Plus that stuff makes me feel like I'm eating that Veggie Tales character.

• Haha
Reactions: roostercogburn98
When there's room in the smoker I'll throw in a couple chubs of bologna. I'll buy a five pound roll and cut it into one pound chubs. Peel the wrap and smoke for a couple hours with the butts/ribs/chicken. My kids will steal that shit from my freezer.
I slice mine hamburger pattie size.
Basically eat them like a hamburger.

As soon as I can walk I'm firing up the smoker.

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
One thing I see missing from here is the process on how you fine people prepare and cook your meat. Don’t be afraid to share your recipes!

One thing I see missing from here is the process on how you fine people prepare and cook your meat. Don’t be afraid to share your recipes!
Have you seen some of the steak on here. It still goes moo when it’s cut. Probably eaten right out of the fridge

Reactions: powdahound76
First time doing beef ribs and bone marrow. Right now ribs are wrapped and slowly coming up to temp.
The bone marrow mixed with the roasted garlic was amazing. Made some crusty French bread for dipping.
E85A87DB-79EE-443E-8002-9373A6B105C2.jpeg
DDA19A20-0548-4A56-9B6E-60385A8F69EA.jpeg

When it comes to smoking I think simple is better. Salt, pepper and garlic powder are mostly what I use.
This right here! Salt pepper and garlic powder are my go to.
I will play around a bit with rubs like it did with the ribs. I did salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder and believe it or not coffee. It goes great with beef.
If you start over complicating the rubs and seasons it Can mask the flavor of a quality product. Just my 2 cents.