• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "Official Shortage Thread"......

The vaccine mandate has exacerbated the shortage of truck drivers and made wait times at border crossings even longer. Eighty percent of trade between the US and Canada is transited by truck. America exports about 90% of Canada's fruits and vegetables during the winter season. As shipments decline because only about half of US truck drivers are vaccinated, grocery stores report shortages.

"We're seeing shortages," said Gary Sands, senior vice president of the Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers. "We're hearing from members they're going into some stores where there's no oranges or bananas.

Stopped by a nearby small town grocery store and was shocked in the meat cooler, which is about 20' long. About half empty with boneless, skinless chicken breast at 2.99 / # and pork roasts (which looked like shit) for $3.59 / #. Beef section was pretty well picked over, what was there wasn't worth buying unless you wanted to trim and make stew. Folks in the city might not have more in stock items but there are more choices. But there was a crap ton of Bar S hot dogs.

Stopped by a nearby small town grocery store and was shocked in the meat cooler, which is about 20' long. About half empty with boneless, skinless chicken breast at 2.99 / # and pork roasts (which looked like shit) for $3.59 / #. Beef section was pretty well picked over, what was there wasn't worth buying unless you wanted to trim and make stew. Folks in the city might not have more in stock items but there are more choices. But there was a crap ton of Bar S hot dogs.
I'm right with you. I was looking at those $4 avocados. One small one don't make much dip. Making me think about those Russians back in 1921 gettin' by on frozen potatoes.

747fb19ef914261d.jpg

Make sure you do your part people.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
Local drug store still doesn't have my size so partying has been cut back big time without them.
download (94).jpeg
download (94).jpeg
download (94).jpeg

Reactions: Codiekfx400
In the short run, the transnational globalists will attempt to use such events to assert increasingly totalitarian control of people, movement, goods, and more. It won’t take long for those attempts to exacerbate the chaos, the shortages, the conflict, and the disease. The tighter their attempted control, the greater and deeper the damage they will cause.

Reactions: devildog93
I have a place to raise a couple of piglets. Suggestions on a breed ? Even a piglet is expensive in my area.

I have a place to raise a couple of piglets. Suggestions on a breed ? Even a piglet is expensive in my area.

What are the input costs? This is the first big question. Do you have an economical access of food and water for it?

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
What are the input costs? This is the first big question. Do you have an economical access of food and water for it?
Great questions:
Fence post and hog wire are bought and paid for.
Infinite supply of water.
Food has some options, the easiest being to buy hog food. I have some acreage that could be planted in food as a long term plan.
Slaughtering is another consideration (transporting, commercial slaughtering versus slaughtering here on the homestead).
Some local's have a program where you buy the hogs from them, buy the feed from them and offer some options in the slaughtering / packaging. I have not delved into cost.
I'm not wanting to grow commercially, only for consumption by my family.

Link is an example of local availability and cost:

Can't go wrong with Hampshire and yorkshire.
I have one of each.
So far, my feed bill stands at $328, but I still have over 700# of feed.
I had three pigs, and I lost one a couple weeks ago. She never put on weight well, even though the other two were twice her size.
If you have one that isn't keeping up with the others in meat production, cull it sooner rather than later. A bad hog will ruin your feed bill.

Don't be tempted to feed them " soaked corn". My neighbor, who has pigs from same litter as mine, has stunted hogs. He hasn't wormed them either.
Its not free meat.
Feed them table scraps, but make sure you cook potato peels before you feed them to the hogs. I'd recook any table scraps.
I'm feeding mine warm mash in cold weather. Its making a difference. Get at least two, they'll grow faster.
Give them straw or hay to bed in, it keeps them occupied and happy it would seem.

1641509490315.jpg

6683.jpeg

Pics are from 4 weeks ago. Theyll go probably 110-120 now, and the little one is gone.
I obtained these pigs first week of November.

1st week.
1636139833502.jpg

Can't go wrong with Hampshire and yorkshire.
I have one of each.
So far, my feed bill stands at $328, but I still have over 700# of feed.
I had three pigs, and I lost one a couple weeks ago. She never put on weight well, even though the other two were twice her size.
If you have one that isn't keeping up with the others in meat production, cull it sooner rather than later. A bad hog will ruin your feed bill.

Don't be tempted to feed them " soaked corn". My neighbor, who has pigs from same litter as mine, has stunted hogs. He hasn't wormed them either.
Its not free meat.
Feed them table scraps, but make sure you cook potato peels before you feed them to the hogs. I'd recook any table scraps.
I'm feeding mine warm mash in cold weather. Its making a difference. Get at least two, they'll grow faster.
Give them straw or hay to bed in, it keeps them occupied and happy it would seem.

View attachment 7798173
View attachment 7798174

Pics are from 4 weeks ago. Theyll go probably 110-120 now, and the little one is gone.
I obtained these pigs first week of November.

1st week.
View attachment 7798177
Thanks for the info. I'm seein' those palmetto's in the back ground and no snow drifts. I'm in a cold climate so shelter will be something I have to figure in. But, if I raise them during the warm weather, shelter may not be as big of an issue.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Navy beans....fucking, sit on a shelf for ever, Navy beans.

Its been a cold winter for us pussies in Maryland and I like to make soup in the winter. Went to Honey Baked and got a ham bone with lots of meat and all the rest to make bean soup and.....no Navy beans to be found anywhere near me.

I did find Great Northern beans which work just fine but there were only a few bags of that to be found in the two stores I went to.

WTF....beans?

Navy beans....fucking, sit on a shelf for ever, Navy beans.

Its been a cold winter for us pussies in Maryland and I like to make soup in the winter. Went to Honey Baked and got a ham bone with lots of meat and all the rest to make bean soup and.....no Navy beans to be found anywhere near me.

I did find Great Northern beans which work just fine but there were only a few bags of that to be found in the two stores I went to.

WTF....beans?

Yes, a shortage of beans..... But, where they are playing the American people is there seems to always be an alternative item on a nearby shelf 'that will work"..... Food Club brand instead of Campbell's, Safeway brand instead of Pillsbury, etc. Went down the cookie isle. For ever there were 6 bays of cookeis. They were getting thin on my last visit. Now there are 4 bays of cookies, all stocked full.... Just not the variety and the cheaper brands are there and the expensive one's have disappeared. Things are changing slowly. Take note.

Reactions: Baron23
Jan 31 (Reuters) - The Biden administration will raise the royalty rate that drilling companies must pay on oil and gas leases it plans to sell in the first quarter of this year, according to a posting on the U.S. Bureau of Land Management web site.

I can't make this shit up. Digging the hole deeper.

• Wow
Reactions: Bender and NoDopes
Thanks for the info. I'm seein' those palmetto's in the back ground and no snow drifts. I'm in a cold climate so shelter will be something I have to figure in. But, if I raise them during the warm weather, shelter may not be as big of an issue.

Hogs don't sweat, you'll have another issue. You'll need to keep them cool. Shelter isn't necessarily an issue in warm weather, although I think it keeps them happy. Happy, clean hogs grow fast.
A misting sprayer is what I'll use in warmer weather to keep them cool.

This is the first time I've actually raised my own hogs. All my family has been long time hog farmers though.

Haven't made up my mind on killing, scalding and dressing yet. I doubt I'm able anymore. I've done it, but I'm too many decades beyond that young man I'm afraid.

"We're going to continue to see supply chain disruption and we will continue to see periods of inflation, at least for the next several months, as the industry continues to recalibrate," FMI's Baker said.

Reactions: NoDopes
I stopped into a chain of stores that carries guns and ammo. Their distributor told them plan on less hunting ammo this year, there will be even less available in 2022 than there was last year.

If you don't reload. Stock up now, or start reloading.

Yes, components are expensive and hard to come by, but if you need to hunt to put food on the table, plan accordingly.

In Montana they have a saying: if your gonna build a fence, build it horse high, bull strong and pig tight…… you learn the meaning of that last one…..

Force majeure on glysophate:

A major supplier of an ingredient in glyphosate — an herbicide that’s widely used by corn, soy, cotton and other farmers around the world — shut down production due to mechanical failures, and repairs could take three months. Bayer AG, the maker of Roundup, whose active ingredient is glyphosate, declared a force majeure on Feb. 11, meaning it may not be able to meet its sales agreements.

The trend to use up "cheaper" oil, diesel and gasoline rather than restocking and processing more expensive oil is growing more prevalent. The aging refineries in America are a weak link in the fuel supply chain. America can't simply ramp up refinery output. America will become more dependent on refined petroleum products from other countries.

The "Ripple Effect", worldwide with current events and unrest.
Food price inflation is at its highest level in a decade. Successive years of poor growing conditions across several key commodities, coupled with strong demand, have pulled down agricultural product inventories worldwide to their tightest levels in years and driven prices higher. As many nations’ economies continue to recover from COVID-19, and issues ranging from labor shortages to intense drought emerge, the current period of high prices could be with us well into 2022 and beyond.

I was the OP of this thread 9 months ago. Just an old, retired / disabled welder on a fixed income. No degrees in Economics, Finance or Business. Although, I have lived through, what the Government calls, three recessions. I'm starting to think the highly educated professor's and world leaders chose to go down the path of denial. For the most part, they remain in denial. This is a Worldwide issue.

Reactions: lariat and NoDopes
"Any further increase in food price levels and volatility in international markets could threaten food security and nutrition at a global scale, especially among the most vulnerable living in environments of low food security," they said in a statement

I have been telling you guys for over a year that what we are using right now is the inventory. We the world are consuming faster than we can replenish. Price inflation is going to get very high for important goods and food is at the top of the list. Famine is coming to parts of this world.

I have been telling you guys for over a year that what we are using right now is the inventory. We the world are consuming faster than we can replenish. Price inflation is going to get very high for important goods and food is at the top of the list. Famine is coming to parts of this world.

So when is the average consumer going to feel the pain and take notice? I figure I am somewhere in the middle as a dual income family of 2 with very little overhead. If we can't make it there are going to be a lot of people in line behind us that are the same way, but I figure we will likely be the bellweather level. Smack dab in the middle of normieville. 5 dollar gas and another 20% on goods will probably do it. We would be circling the wagons at that point.

40% increase on used cars has most definitely changed my buying habits. Increase cost of meats has slowed my intake. It is even noticeable at the fast food restaurants. 20% price increases seems to be fairly constant in my area year to year. How much more before people slow down their eating out and the fast food starts failing and businesses close? That would start the domino effect for sure. If most people went back to eating at home the supply chain wouldn't be able to keep up. This is going to be a mess.

So when is the average consumer going to feel the pain and take notice? I figure I am somewhere in the middle as a dual income family of 2 with very little overhead. If we can't make it there are going to be a lot of people in line behind us that are the same way, but I figure we will likely be the bellweather level. Smack dab in the middle of normieville. 5 dollar gas and another 20% on goods will probably do it. We would be circling the wagons at that point.

40% increase on used cars has most definitely changed my buying habits. Increase cost of meats has slowed my intake. It is even noticeable at the fast food restaurants. 20% price increases seems to be fairly constant in my area year to year. How much more before people slow down their eating out and the fast food starts failing and businesses close? That would start the domino effect for sure. If most people went back to eating at home the supply chain wouldn't be able to keep up. This is going to be a mess.
Your thoughts appear to be the norm for the guy's here on the Hide. My guess is that most of us will weather the storm in normieville. My advice to a few close friends wanting to do some summer household improvements has been "proceed on a cash in hand basis". Don't run up a credit card debt to spruce up the outside of your place. Some listen, most don't.

People will tighten up, financially, when those through the back door expenses increase. The one's they don't focus on like property tax increases (even renter's pay this), utility bills, buying a set of tires, medical insurance premium increases (larger co-pays), vehicle registration, increasing cost of recreation (play toys, park entry fees, hotel tax increases), cut back's on the little perks at your job, increase in traffic ticket's (cops / quotas returning), filing fees, loan origination fees, etc...... When people finally say "Where did my money go?'... Then they are forced to cut back.

Being I'm one of the "Poor's", I circled my wagons a year ago. It is working out for me.

Your thoughts appear to be the norm for the guy's here on the Hide. My guess is that most of us will weather the storm in normieville. My advice to a few close friends wanting to do some summer household improvements has been "proceed on a cash in hand basis". Don't run up a credit card debt to spruce up the outside of your place. Some listen, most don't.

People will tighten up, financially, when those through the back door expenses increase. The one's they don't focus on like property tax increases (even renter's pay this), utility bills, buying a set of tires, medical insurance premium increases (larger co-pays), vehicle registration, increasing cost of recreation (play toys, park entry fees, hotel tax increases), cut back's on the little perks at your job, increase in traffic ticket's (cops / quotas returning), filing fees, loan origination fees, etc...... When people finally say "Where did my money go?'... Then they are forced to cut back.

Being I'm one of the "Poor's", I circled my wagons a year ago. It is working out for me.
Just think, it all started with your thoughts on chicken feed, lol.

Remain calm, stay in your seat:

July 16, 2021

By David Shepardson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg is looking at ways to address supply chain disruptions – from clogged ports to addressing the shortage of truck drivers.

President Joe Biden issued an executive order in February on supply chain issues.

In June, the White House unveiled a Supply Chain Disruptions Task Force led by Buttigieg and the secretaries of Commerce and Agriculture “to provide a whole-of-government response to address near-term supply chain challenges … (and) to diagnose problems and surface solutions—large and small, public or private—that could help alleviate bottlenecks and supply constraints.”

On Thursday, Buttigieg held a virtual roundtable on congestion at the Los Angeles and Long Beach ports that included the Federal Maritime Commission chair, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and other senior U.S. officials to look at ways of reducing congestion at ports.

“For our economy to fully recover, we now need our vital supply chains to operate smoothly and without avoidable congestion,” Buttigieg said.

Approximately 40% of all containerized freight flowing through the United States arrives or departs through Los Angeles and Long Beach ports.

"Right now, “Chinese state-owned enterprises hold ownership stakes in terminals at five U.S. ports,” according to a U.S. Naval War College investigation. China's Offshore Shipping Company, or Cosco, for instance, has a 40 percent joint venture stake in Los Angeles' West Basin Container Terminal.Nov 26, 2021"
"In April 2019, COSCO Shipping-owned Orient Overseas (International) Limited announced that it would sell their Long Beach Container Terminal business to a consortium led by Macquarie Infrastructure Partners for $1.78 billion.
Value of cargo: $56.7 billion (CY 2010)
Annual container volume: 8.1 million twenty-foot containers."
Last entry I noted: "The Green Flag incentive program was set up to encourage ships to slow down in order to improve air quality. The Green Flag program provides approximately $2 million a year in discounts for vessel operators who slow their ships to 12 knots (22 km/h) or less within 20 miles (32 km) of the harbor. According to the port, the Green Flag program reduced air pollution by 600 tons in 2007 and was expected to do better in 2008."
They've been slowing down traffic since 2007, and paying the ships to do so.
Sources: Wikipedia and NBC news (neither of whom I trust an inch, anyway).

I am finding less and less reporting by US News Agencies on shortages. Foreign news appears to be carrying more info and keeping their countries abreast of the situation.

Canadian Pacific covers much of the U.S. Midwest and is a large shipper of potash and fertilizer for agriculture. It also carries grain from the U.S. to its northern neighbor for domestic use and exports. The railroad serves the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri and other states, according to a map on its investor website. CP also operates in New England and upstate New York, spokesman Patrick Waldron said.

I am finding less and less reporting by US News Agencies on shortages. Foreign news appears to be carrying more info and keeping their countries abreast of the situation.

Canadian Pacific covers much of the U.S. Midwest and is a large shipper of potash and fertilizer for agriculture. It also carries grain from the U.S. to its northern neighbor for domestic use and exports. The railroad serves the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri and other states, according to a map on its investor website. CP also operates in New England and upstate New York, spokesman Patrick Waldron said.

It’s an election year, and a year that we are being told we need to sacrifice in all aspects. They won’t talk about it to remind people if they can prevent it.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but if you haven't noticed the WTB ads in the PX. Everyone is looking for 7 SAUM and 6.5 PRC brass. When it comes up for sale, it's gone immediately.

Talking with people in the firearms industry, they say the availability of certain items like specific caliber brass, and general hunting ammo are going to be even more harder to get as the year progresses. The manufacturers have concentrated their production to common calibers in high demand i.e. 9mm, 223, 5.56, etc.

Reactions: NoDopes
I wasn't sure where to post this, but if you haven't noticed the WTB ads in the PX. Everyone is looking for 7 SAUM and 6.5 PRC brass. When it comes up for sale, it's gone immediately.

Talking with people in the firearms industry, they say the availability of certain items like specific caliber brass, and general hunting ammo are going to be even more harder to get as the year progresses. The manufacturers have concentrated their production to common calibers in high demand i.e. 9mm, 223, 5.56, etc.
You posted in the right place... The commodity "copper" is trading at historically high prices. No one is forecasting any dip in prices for the remainder of the year. I never considered .300WM an odd caliber but after the close of hunting season those too are harder to find and the price is also at a historic high. No relief in sight... As I have posted in other topics, it is worldwide.

LVIV, Ukraine (Reuters) – Ukraine’s spring crop sowing area may more than halve this year from 2021 levels to some 7 million hectares, its Agriculture Minister Roman Leshchenko said on Tuesday, versus 15 million hectares expected before the Russian invasion.

We believe we are at the onset of a global famine of historic proportions. In a staggering defiance of logic, many US politicians are still attacking the lifeblood of our own energy production infrastructure, looking to score political points against “the other team,” blaming price-taking producers of global commodities for gouging, threatening producers of energy with windfall profits taxes, resisting calls to remove bureaucratic hurdles to new production, and refusing to open an introductory physics textbook to help guide them through the suite of policy choices that require true leadership to get right. They remain stuck in an endless loop of platitudes, blamestorming, corruption, and ignorance.