• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The OFFICIAL 'Wuhan' Coronavirus outbreak information and tracking thread. NARRATIVE CHANGE. "Endemic, just like the cold". Cuomo regrets lockdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly hope I'm under ground b/f it pops.....100% there is no avoiding a debt instrument implosion of some kind it will happen. The prophets of doom have been saying this ever since we decoupled from gold......none have been right b/c no one knows what the actual trip wire will be. But just like a broken clock at some point it will hit 1 o'clock and they will be right. Life is a gamble, investing is a gamble, but people who abstain from planning on income for the future outside daily employment are taking the biggest risk of all IMO.
We will disagree as to many of us, money is truly worthless.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Its a Ponzi scheme that actually pays out and does enhance the economy through investment in business capital for the everyman.

Historically it has been solid.

You have to have your hand on the throttle.

Im a little concerned that interest rates have made it "the only" non hard asset investment.

Im looking at 10 years or so before retirement.

Id like to be transitioning to more secure investments with less return but at least greater than the rate of inflation - CDs and Bonds used to be that investment - shit even savings accts used to work for you - but that seems to be gone.

When I wamy house 2006-2007 my ING account was getting about 5% - that was a good enough rate with a big load of building cash in the bank that monthly interest allowed for upgrading some of interior fixtures.

That's gone and I don't know what it will take to get it back.

QE and "too big too fail" only make it worse.

Having 22 trillion become 21 trillion would be a step in the right direction.

Repsectfully.

The handful that own more wealth than all the worlds people combined don’t need our money to loan out for business growth.

Sure it can pay out for some, but those are scraps compared to the big haul when the debts are all called. When that happens, many of those scraps lost to lure in “investors” are collected on the backside.

Repsectfully.

The handful that own more wealth than all the worlds people combined don’t need our money to loan out for business growth.

Sure it can pay out for some, but those are scraps compared to the big haul when the debts are all called. When that happens, many of those scraps lost to lure in “investors” are collected on the backside.

Your speaking of some music stops scenario.

Sure never in my life have I been more concerned about ensuring Im near a chair but if that happens only Army Jerry type investments and the skills @Gunfighter14e2 promotes will matter.

I listen to the radio all day at work.

mikey bloomberg is running adds about coronavirus blaming Trump. Not surprised, only that it took this long.

Anyone else heard this add?

Reactions: TACC
Wait a second....so my 401 is "guaranteed"?
Folks that think having ones and zeros in a computer somewhere, will provide their future security, don't understand Fiat money. Sure, it might provide for you, but when the bubble pops, I hope you like the taste of Bond paper.

401Ks nor any investment are guaranteed.

Don't know how many paid attention in 2008 when Nancy Pelosi talked about nationalizing them as the pain experienced by the govt fucking with the economy seriously hurt those depending on those 401ks - we are too stupid to manage our own money so Nancy thinks the govt that just crashed the economy and was about to embark on building ten trillion in debt could do better.

In a total collapse none of it will matter.

Either being the Warlord or signing on with the Warlord is the best you can hope for.

Reactions: TACC
Wait a second....so my 401 is "guaranteed"?
Folks that think having ones and zeros in a computer somewhere, will provide their future security, don't understand Fiat money. Sure, it might provide for you, but when the bubble pops, I hope you like the taste of Bond paper.

Well, if it gets to the point of complete and total collapse money will basically be worthless anyways - so "at this point, what difference does it make"? Your gold or tangibles (unless you are talking bullets) will not save you here either.

The sheer resulting chaos (and it will be grotesque) will be all thats left.

In this state would you be worried about making a house or car payment? I wouldnt. Everyone will be preoccupied with scraping just to survive and preying off the "weak". The enforcement system will be completely overwhelmed.

And in my case, its "country folk can survive" time.

Reactions: nikonNUT
View attachment 7260089

What the hell kind of math did they use to get to 60 in the US? I don't get to 60 even including the hosers to the north. :D
The "60 cases" includes the people they brought back from cruise ships and are keeping in quarantine. There were some 15 homegrown cases here, plus three people repatriated from China and the 42 off the cruise ship. And of those 60 combined cases, I understand that 6 people have recovered and so far nobody's died.

Well, if it gets to the point of complete and total collapse money will basically be worthless anyways - so "at this point, what difference does it make"? Your gold or tangibles (unless you are talking bullets) will not save you here either.

That's the mistake many people make in thinking about precious metals or the like.
Gold and Silver only have value because humans assign them value and since humans do, like many other things you can trade them easily.

In true desperate times, including times of governments turning against the people, gold and silver may be of little use.

What Gold and silver offer, is a way to save some wealth in the good times and hide it away during the bad times so that when the good times come again you are a bit better off than the rest.

If you study the past 5000 years+ of history, the bad times, even truly catastrophic civilization ending stuff doesn't last forever. Eventually the survivors group together into towns or villages and start the whole society thing over one way or another and eventually trade and commerce restart.

Modern folks don't understand that entire "modern" civilizations for their day have collapsed practically into dust over and over.

What does recovered really mean?

""Even if death doesn’t occur, some patients survive with permanent lung damage. ""

Too early I suppose to understand what percentage "some" is.

Just like the flu.

Right.

Reactions: ewoaf
That's the mistake many people make in thinking about precious metals or the like.
Gold and Silver only have value because humans assign them value and since humans do, like many other things you can trade them easily.

In true desperate times, including times of governments turning against the people, gold and silver may be of little use.

What Gold and silver offer, is a way to save some wealth in the good times and hide it away during the bad times so that when the good times come again you are a bit better off than the rest.

If you study the past 5000 years+ of history, the bad times, even truly catastrophic civilization ending stuff doesn't last forever. Eventually the survivors group together into towns or villages and start the whole society thing over one way or another and eventually trade and commerce restart.

Modern folks don't understand that entire "modern" civilizations for their day have collapsed practically into dust over and over.

Agree, and IMO, civilizations go back way further than is presently known and have been torn down and rebuilt for a very long time.

Yeah, maybe a bit better off than the rest when things recover.

But that assumes humans will even put a value on it. Not to mention, will you even be alive to cash it in? Perhaps hand it down to whatever offspring you have that survive.

I have a theory that a small number of people could collude and start a panic buy. Not that that's what's happening, just something I've thought about and may test one day.

i wonder how many thousands of dissidents the chinese have grabbed or killed so far under the guise of virus control.

and doesn't Iran have a big problem with dissidents too? hmmm.
lots of deaths already in iran, but hong kong is OK?

But that assumes humans will even put a value on it. Not to mention, will you even be alive to cash it in? Perhaps hand it down to whatever offspring you have that survive.

Nothing is guaranteed, BUT past history is a pretty good indicator of what may happen.

For the past 6000 years, in good times, humans have always placed at least some value on Gold and Silver as well as rare stones and such.

Things do change, back say 3000 years ago iron bars were a good investment, today they are scrap, but in a post civilization world that is rebuilding, odd things may become valuable for a time. It wasn't that long ago that part of the farm taxes in many countries had to be paid in basically processed animal poop to help the rulers make black powder.

Your gold or tangibles (unless you are talking bullets) will not save you here either.
Gold is worthless for anything, except electrical contacts or space travel. People who think gold or silver will save them, don't have a clue. Other "Tangibles" depending on what they are an if you know how to use, repair them is a different horse. The one tangible most will miss quickly is potable water an food. Without those "Tangibles", be it seeds/dirt/skillset, the one trick pony's will be nothing but a memory very quickly. Even those who stock seeds, if they are not heritage seeds, will not be good but for one growing season. The ability to live off the land will be King if it all goes to shit,...

What does recovered really mean?

""Even if death doesn’t occur, some patients survive with permanent lung damage. ""

Too early I suppose to understand what percentage "some" is.

Just like the flu.

Right.
Take all this with a grain of salt, because we don't have a lot of solid data about any aspect of this virus. The numbers we are mostly hearing are that maybe 20% of COVID-19 patients are requiring critical care, which can mean varying things but at least probably implies high flow oxygen. Some reports are that half of those (so about 10% of all patients) are requiring intubation and mechanical ventilation. I would say that some people do recover fully from other viral illnesses requiring mechanical ventilation, but most who get to that point will be significantly weakened and require quite a while to get their function back. Some fraction of those are going to have permanent damage, and how bad this is depends on the person and the virus. There will be people who recover from the ventilator or ECMO who can barely walk around the block and require oxygen for the rest of their lives, but that's probably only going to be a small percentage of the total.

Like I said, we really don't know much yet about how severe this will be. Take this and all other reports with a grain of salt.

s97yjr.png

Are we still all panicking about something that spreads/infects/kills way less people than the flu does?

Reactions: gro
Are we still all panicking about something that spreads/infects/kills way less people than the flu does?

Normalcy bias can be a bitch.

I'm trying to stay in the middle til more info is available.

But let me know if you've ever heard of the flu breaking out and killing 5 people on the same cruise ship. Surely there have been people on cruise ships carrying the flu in the past.

Reactions: OldSalty

the "flu" death rate is approx .2%
current wuhan is 3.4%

that is approx the same % contraction to death rate as the Spanish flu in 1918-19.

not building a bunker but if those numbers hold true with in developed countries (Europe, US), its not just a normal cold we are looking at.

the "flu" death rate is approx .2%
current wuhan is 3.4%

that is approx the same % contraction to death rate as the Spanish flu in 1918-19.

not building a bunker but if those numbers hold true with in developed countries (Europe, US), its not just a normal cold we are looking at.

Please. A person has to be really dence if you can't understand why the mortality ratio is so high in shithole China. The same for thinking that number will carry over to the US.

Please. A person has to be really dence if you can't understand why the mortality ratio is so high in shithole China. The same for thinking that number will carry over to the US.
Every other country is seeing a 2% mortality rate. And China has a pretty advanced healthcare system with ICUs just like us. Their system broke down because of the number of infected, which could happen here too. Not that it will but we are not immune.

I listened to a guy on the radio yesterday from the CDC who says that we can expect a death rate from covid 19 to be 2% here in the US or in most developed nations. In Africa? Holy shit....

Anyway, we should expect to lose 2 out of every 100 people who get covid 19 and this is a lot more deadly than the flu. No sense panicking but we have basically wasted weeks now (2 months) thinking it is not gonna go pandemic. And maybe it won't but the CDC says it's more than likely. This ain't the fucking flu.

VooDoo

It's a numbers game. If 20% of the people infected need hospitalization, and the infection rate is 50%, that would be 160 million people. Let's say only a conservative 10 millions are infected at same time; 20% of these are 2 millions. Do we have the capacity to treat 2 million people at same time? No. Without access to a bed and full care, that will raise the death rate a lot. How much? Anyone's guess. 5%? 10%? In China, most of the people actually died at home.

I listened to a guy on the radio yesterday from the CDC who says that we can expect a death rate from covid 19 to be 2% here in the US or in most developed nations. In Africa? Holy shit....

Anyway, we should expect to lose 2 out of every 100 people who get covid 19 and this is a lot more deadly than the flu. No sense panicking but we have basically wasted weeks now (2 months) thinking it is not gonna go pandemic. And maybe it won't but the CDC says it's more than likely. This ain't the fucking flu.

VooDoo

Just curious, who is the "we"?

Wouldnt the CDC be the "we"?

The same "we" that say it is more than likely to have "severe impacts" to life in the US are the same "we" who would be responsible to mitigate?

Oh, wait, someone cut off the CDCs pandemic funding. Forgot about that.

Just curious, who is the "we"?

Wouldnt the CDC be the "we"?

The same "we" that say it is more than likely to have "severe impacts" to life in the US are the same "we" who would be responsible to mitigate?

Oh, wait, someone cut off the CDCs pandemic funding. Forgot about that.
good try , but no dice

• Haha
Reactions: OldSalty
On the opposite end of the spectrum there is at least one winner of the golden ticket!

From the same article.. His treatment under isolation required, "A rotating staff of 20 nurses, three doctors and personnel from every corner of the hospital kept the patient as comfortable as possible. "

^^ That is not going to be sustainable

Reactions: phlegethon
No tangible increase in wealth??? At it's most basic level trillions of dollars have been paid in dividends in that time period funding millions of Americans retirements with monthly income streams.

The federal government running deficits of a trillion dollars each year is mostly responsible for any growth we think may have occurred. Now, normally we'd come up with the counterargument that deficit spending is financed by Treasury bonds, and the money used to purchase those T-bills would have come out of the general economy. But with the Federal Reserve increasing its balance sheet by $3.6 trillion (and that's the public number), we basically created that wealth out of thin air, passed it on to the richest people, and stuck someone with the bill in the future. Meanwhile, we all get to experience inflation.

Cali is reporting 2 new cases not tied to international travel or repatriation. So they are trying to find the source.

Allegedly there is a 50% drop of freighters with Chinese goods being imported via Cali ports. IDK about this one, possible I guess...

I listen to the radio all day at work.

mikey bloomberg is running adds about coronavirus blaming Trump. Not surprised, only that it took this long.

Anyone else heard this add?

Yes heard the new one today for the first time, apparently he is the 9/11 hero and natural disaster savior. I have to swallow my own vomit every time I hear his ad's come on the radio.

Been called a lot of things over the years but dense...that’s a new one. ?

Believe me I hope I’m wrong, my son is going through immunosuppressive treatment.

ALoha and Mahalo

To be fair, that is literally, by all metrics, the busiest Costco in the entire United States (I believe some in East Asia has taken the "busiest in the world" title). It's right outside of downtown Honolulu and it's mobbed all day, every day.

Do share...
I pass a gas station with 4 pumps. There’s four vehicles at the pumps and one or two lined up waiting. There’s normally somewhere between 0 and 1 vehicle there. First thing I do is look at my fuel gauge. Next I turn on the radio. I start wondering how much fuel I have at home.
how many people would it take hitting the grocery stores buying all the water to cause a panic? In a small city, not many imho. If it did cause a panic buy, it would spread to surrounding areas.

The federal government running deficits of a trillion dollars each year is mostly responsible for any growth we think may have occurred. Now, normally we'd come up with the counterargument that deficit spending is financed by Treasury bonds, and the money used to purchase those T-bills would have come out of the general economy. But with the Federal Reserve increasing its balance sheet by $3.6 trillion (and that's the public number), we basically created that wealth out of thin air, passed it on to the richest people, and stuck someone with the bill in the future. Meanwhile, we all get to experience inflation.
100% true the FR creates money out of thin air and when it implodes at some point it will be Biblical. That doesn't mean one cannot profit from it and it's not necessary to be a 1%er to do it. The single most valuable book I was ever given for this topic was 'The Millionaire Next Door'. It showed me one need not make a fortune every year to accumulate some coin which is important b/c I've never been in a high tax bracket or made a fortune at any given point in my life. Mantras from book are always live below your means no matter what income level. Delayed gratification for 30-40 years of things one might want, but doesn't need alleviates the need to 'be rich' to get there. One can get an opportunity to accumulate wealth with multiples less income by letting DRIPs work and consistently being in the move. Gotta take the first step and the earlier in life the better....getting on the train late means one has to a hit a lot of HR and even a few grand slams. My focus has been hitting a lot of singles over a long period of time.

And it may come to a screeching sudden halt and go to Armageddon in my lifetime and that is indeed a risk, but I also have other modalities I've put in place for that too. To put all ones eggs in one basket is not wise...hedging the risk of implosion is part of that including job and life skills which I hope will never be put into action out of a need to survive a Monday.

1582978981577.png

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
All the faces mask are sold out at the local stores here, we are renovating the basement and couldn't find any anywhere. The virus is a lot more deadly to older people. People in their seventies have an 8% chance of dying, and people in their 80 have close to a 15% chance of dying. If this gets out of hand a lot of old people might be dead before the election.

_111074816_death_ratio-nc.png

Last edited:
ALoha and Mahalo

I absolutely loathe Costco. My wife talked me into going there once and you literally feel like a lab rat in a maze designed to enamor you and cause you to buy a bunch of crap you don’t need. Everyone is walking around like zombies entranced by the unnecessarily large bundles of granola bars and Tylenol. The workers walking around like nazis asking for your papers to prove you are allowed to be part of the madness gives it an Orwellian creepiness. It’s like a theater designed to show exactly what is wrong with America. We need stuff, lots of it, and we want it cheap. We love our freedom and independence, but we will trade it in a heartbeat for a 75 lb bucket of trail mix at 50% cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.