• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The OFFICIAL 'Wuhan' Coronavirus outbreak information and tracking thread. NARRATIVE CHANGE. "Endemic, just like the cold". Cuomo regrets lockdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quarantine, was derived from the Italian words quaranta giorni which mean 40 days.

Chinese are building a separate unit to treat those with the Corona Virus. I have 2 friends here in the US that went to ER's with severe upper respiratory issues. They were told they had the "Bad Flu", given some Tamiflu and shown the door. Could it be that hospitals don't want their ventilation systems contaminated?

Hobo

Im watching reruns of "The Walking Dead"

Ordered a combat tomahawk and crossbow this morning.

Anyone else find it warm in here? I've had this inability to catch my breath all morning..........

Last edited:
I never really realized how debilitating several days of fever can be. I thankfully drank a ton of water mixed with Gatorade. My wife was very concerned about pneumonia as it is a likely consequence. She listened to my lungs a couple of times a day over this process and said you are clear. Although this gut thing is not pleasant.

So continuing the saga...

Late yesterday afternoon, I received a call from the doctors office asking me to go back today which is actually a good thing since I felt no better this morning. Before I left, my wife gave me the once over and told me to tell the doctor to focus on on my left lung as she kept hearing something strange. It was faint and was not audible on her last exam.

When I went, the Doctor I saw the other day was not the one that saw me today. Turns out the first one was a nurse practitioner versus an MD. This woman, the MD today, actually took some nasal cultures and then gave me a through exam and a chest X-Ray. Turns out that the nurse practitioner got it wrong. I didn't have the flu as the cultures came back negative. Turns out my wife, a student, was correct and I have bacterial pneumonia in my lower left lung. The MD today gave me some aggressive antibiotics and said I should be fine in a few days.

I asked her what prompted them to ask me back ad she said that when they saw I was in SF for several days and also saw no evidence of a culture being ordered, that it broke protocol so they wanted to be sure

Part of me is happy that I am finally getting some help and part of me is pretty pissed at how a person gets a NP license and not know how to listen to a person's lungs. My wife gets her BSN in May and knows more than this person did.

I too deal with Nurse Practitioner's............ I deal with them like I deal with some of my GPS's..... As long as they keep me on the right track, we are good to go. When they lead me off down the "obviously" wrong path. I stop dealing with them. NP's are just part of the system now days.

Glad you are now on the right track. Praying for your speedy recovery.

Hobo

So continuing the saga...

Late yesterday afternoon, I received a call from the doctors office asking me to go back today which is actually a good thing since I felt no better this morning. Before I left, my wife gave me the once over and told me to tell the doctor to focus on on my left lung as she kept hearing something strange. It was faint and was not audible on her last exam.

When I went, the Doctor I saw the other day was not the one that saw me today. Turns out the first one was a nurse practitioner versus an MD. This woman, the MD today, actually took some nasal cultures and then gave me a through exam and a chest X-Ray. Turns out that the nurse practitioner got it wrong. I didn't have the flu as the cultures came back negative. Turns out my wife, a student, was correct and I have bacterial pneumonia in my lower left lung. The MD today gave me some aggressive antibiotics and said I should be fine in a few days.

I asked her what prompted them to ask me back ad she said that when they saw I was in SF for several days and also saw no evidence of a culture being ordered, that it broke protocol so they wanted to be sure

Part of me is happy that I am finally getting some help and part of me is pretty pissed at how a person gets a NP license and not know how to listen to a person's lungs. My wife gets her BSN in May and knows more than this person did.
nurse practitioners are next best thing to witch doctors. My sister is one. No chance I am going to see one.

The problem is that you don't get to necessarily choose. I think there are good and bad. My wife wants to become an NP after she gets some actual nursing experience. Based on what I saw, it comes down to how thorough an exam do you perform. The way this MD today listened to my lungs was the same way my wife did and more elaborate than the NP did

Reactions: phlegethon
The problem is that you don't get to necessarily choose. I think there are good and bad. My wife wants to become an NP after she gets some actual nursing experience. Based on what I saw, it comes down to how thorough an exam do you perform. The way this MD today listened to my lungs was the same way my wife did and more elaborate than the NP did
There are great nurse practitioners and shitty doctors. Definitely doctors have more education, but I wouldn’t paint everyone with the same brush.

There were 8 so county school systems closed in Tennessee today for sickness. The country I live in is closed Monday and Tuesday of next week. More closures than I have seen before.
Is this precautionary or due to confirmed cases?

If California shut everything down because a Chinese kid started coughing, they would be building a wall around the state by now.

There are great nurse practitioners and shitty doctors. Definitely doctors have more education, but I wouldn’t paint everyone with the same brush.

^this.

my GF is a DVM. she makes most human dr.’s look stupid. on of the most intelligent people i’ve met. she is disgusted with the health care around where we live; most the people in the industry dont know 1/4 of what she does. i think the good ones are over worked and pushed too hard. i heard that when obamacare was enacted, many said “fuck this” and retired.

be happy you have someone who knows their bananas in your life. it could save your ass someday.

^this.

my GF is a DVM. she makes most human dr.’s look stupid.

I used to know a DVM and from what they said it was a bit more work to learn than working on people.
Something about they started off working on dead human bodies first, then went to animals.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I usually know more about my health than my doctor when I go in. It's not training, I just know how to research.

When you are dealing with a general practitioner, they often don't go deep enough because they have to be so wide.

I never accept a diagnosis unless I come to the same conclusion in my research.

Luckily I'm not a hypochondriac, I'm not looking for something to be wrong, I usually have really inconvenient symptoms before I try to figure out what is wrong.

I am not. I have no doubt that my wife will make a great nurse and a great nurse practitioner. My only point, if you read what I wrote, is that I was shocked at how my 1st exam which concluded that I had the flu was poorly done when compared to the exam I had today.

I would think a chest X-Ray would be a common test for a 58 year old male with noise in their lungs. I would think that a nasal culture that can conclusively rule that you have the flu or not would be done. Neither were done by the NP.

The moral of the story is to never take anything for granted. I go to the Doctor when I need to. I expect that they approach their job the same way that I approach mine....professionally. Maybe that is expecting too much

As far as I know what is going on here in Tennessee is the flu. I think a lot of closures are precautionary however the criteria to close is a 30% absentee rate.

Yep, his wife just signed his $1 mil bail today.

He lives the next town over - Lexington, yes that Lexington - of all places.

I wish Captain Parkers ghost would come and torture his soul.

Harvard employee though, should we surprised he is a communist traitor to his country.

These types should be made an example of...confiscate his assets....hang him (after a trial) and send the two spies back in body bags to Xi himself

Reactions: pmclaine
I am not. I have no doubt that my wife will make a great nurse and a great nurse practitioner. My only point, if you read what I wrote, is that I was shocked at how my 1st exam which concluded that I had the flu was poorly done when compared to the exam I had today.

I would think a chest X-Ray would be a common test for a 58 year old male with noise in their lungs. I would think that a nasal culture that can conclusively rule that you have the flu or not would be done. Neither were done by the NP.

The moral of the story is to never take anything for granted. I go to the Doctor when I need to. I expect that they approach their job the same way that I approach mine....professionally. Maybe that is expecting too much
Yes. You have to be skeptical but not too skeptical, I guess. Medical professionals of all types make mistakes and so it’s good when patients ask questions and try to understand what’s going on. But on the other hand, most people with the flu (and RSV, metapneumovirus, etc even coronavirus) will feel miserable for a while and get better without much treatment.

I will say that some forms of the flu swab are not so useful and can have an accuracy approaching 50%, so there’s not always a reason to get one.

Kid got sent to the principles office today......

He asked one of his classmates of Asian heritage if he had Coronavirus.

How can I continue to rail against my schools bullshit nanny policies if my kids keep disagreeing with their classmates desired genders and they do shit like this?

:(

Kid got sent to the principles office today......

He asked one of his classmates of Asian heritage if he had Coronavirus.

How can I continue to rail against my schools bullshit nanny policies if my kids keep disagreeing with their classmates desired genders and they do shit like this?

:(
Tell them he learned it on CNN.

R

Reactions: QuickNDirty
Its all fun and games till someone adds AIDS to it-

So basically after intense denials, the truth is starting to leak out that the Chinese are hard at work on Bio weapons for their eventual showdown with the USA and one "got loose".... "somehow"...

Next we come to find out the official number of cases an deaths in China is drastically understated.

People don't seem to understand that the Chinese are NOT our friends or even "Nice" people and they have been planning for a showdown with us for some time & continue to work hard towards it.

Make no mistake about it, the Chinese want very much to be the next global super power to challenge the USA for dominance of the planet. We are helping them achieve that goal every day as we pour our money and technology into their country so our Corporate overlords can have bigger bonuses.

Yes. You have to be skeptical but not too skeptical, I guess. Medical professionals of all types make mistakes and so it’s good when patients ask questions and try to understand what’s going on. But on the other hand, most people with the flu (and RSV, metapneumovirus, etc even coronavirus) will feel miserable for a while and get better without much treatment.

I will say that some forms of the flu swab are not so useful and can have an accuracy approaching 50%, so there’s not always a reason to get one.

I'll take your word for it...everyone makes mistakes. Since I am not trained, I don't understand what the protocol is supposed to be for establishing a diagnosis or what differentiates a good examination from a bad one. All I can tell you is the first one was superficial when compared to what my wife did which was pretty identical to what the MD did. The MD added the X-Ray which gave the proof

Don't want to beat a dead horse...just want this thing to go away

Last edited:
So basically after intense denials, the truth is starting to leak out that the Chinese are hard at work on Bio weapons for their eventual showdown with the USA and one "got loose".... "somehow"...

Next we come to find out the official number of cases an deaths in China is drastically understated.

People don't seem to understand that the Chinese are NOT our friends or even "Nice" people and they have been planning for a showdown with us for some time & continue to work hard towards it.

Make no mistake about it, the Chinese want very much to be the next global super power to challenge the USA for dominance of the planet. We are helping them achieve that goal every day as we pour our money and technology into their country so our Corporate overlords can have bigger bonuses.

My understanding is this virus enters through the ACE2 receptor, which Asian men have a disproportionately high number of compared to most other humans. Its why the death toll there seems to be about 75% male so far. I think someone tinkered with it and it got out but it seems like a lousy choice to take out Westerners and a good one to reduce their own male population. Unfortunately I doubt we will ever know what really happened either way. One way or the other the corrupt commies that run that country dun fucked up though-

My understanding is this virus enters through the ACE2 receptor, which Asian men have a disproportionately high number of compared to most other humans. Its why the death toll there seems to be about 75% male so far. I think someone tinkered with it and it got out but it seems like a lousy choice to take out Westerners and a good one to reduce their own male population. Unfortunately I doubt we will ever know what really happened either way. One way or the other the corrupt commies that run that country dun fucked up though-

You have kind of right there said why they may have engineered it that way.......

Thanks to the evil, vile, horrible (but praised by the UN and the Democrats), One child policy in China, the country has a huge problem with there literally being millions of men who have no hope of ever having a wife or family (Which was very important in Chinese culture). Let alone having a girlfriend.

Now if for example the economy was to crash or foreign trade takes a huge dive.... now the Chinese Communist Party is sitting on a powder keg of literally millions of men with "nothing to loose"....

This virus may mostly have been meant for internal control in the event of a massive social uprising......

Reactions: Crang
You have kind of right there said why they may have engineered it that way.......

Thanks to the evil, vile, horrible (but praised by the UN and the Democrats), One child policy in China, the country has a huge problem with there literally being millions of men who have no hope of ever having a wife or family (Which was very important in Chinese culture). Let alone having a girlfriend.

Now if for example the economy was to crash or foreign trade takes a huge dive.... now the Chinese Communist Party is sitting on a powder keg of literally millions of men with "nothing to loose"....

This virus may mostly have been meant for internal control in the event of a massive social uprising......

Wouldn't be the 1st time they killed their own by the millions

I had to run up to Canada today... on the way up, had To fill out some paperwork for. Part
I was Carrying up for repair and return to USA. The damn CBP office was wall-to-wall Chinese who flew into from PRC to Dorval and are Driving back to New England. Must have been 20nof them at a Podunk crossing.

Of course none were anywhere near the flu.
And the CBP agents were fully medically trained. [\sarcasm]

So much for an emergency.

Sirhr

• Sad
Reactions: TACC and MCSO1357
Latest numbers reported is over 11,000 confirmed in China so far.

Actual numbers probably a lot higher, and a lot more to come.

There were 8 so county school systems closed in Tennessee today for sickness. The country I live in is closed Monday and Tuesday of next week. More closures than I have seen before.

This year has sucked for student illness, and that trend started well before this coronavirus stuff hit the news. Most of what we've seen around here has been norovirus, which for an otherwise-healthy kid results in about 24 hours of shitting and puking, and then they're back to normal like nothing happened. Flu session also kicked in abnormally early this year. I personally blame the weird weather patterns, but that might be personal bias.

A bit of on-the-ground knowledge is worth a lot more than headlines when it comes to this sort of stuff.

My prediction remains - we'll lose more Americans to the "normal" flu than coronavirus. That's not a bold call; the flu kills more Americans each year than car accidents. It's nasty stuff. The best prevention is to stockpile firearms and gas masks, and to make frequent panicked posts on the internet. Oops, nope, that's for something else. The best prevention is to stay in good health, take some supplements of choice, get a flu shot, wash hands frequently, don't touch your face, and stay away from sick people or known carriers (such as those short loud people who go to public schools each day).

Last edited:
This year has sucked for student illness, and that trend started well before this coronavirus stuff hit the news. Most of what we've seen around here has been norovirus, which for an otherwise-healthy kid results in about 24 hours of shitting and puking, and then they're back to normal like nothing happened. Flu session also kicked in abnormally early this year. I personally blame the weird weather patterns, but that might be personal bias.

A bit of on-the-ground knowledge is worth a lot more than headlines when it comes to this sort of stuff.

My prediction remains - we'll lose more Americans to the "normal" flu than coronavirus.

I contracted a norovirus on a flight back from China in 2018, that sucked :sick:

I contracted a norovirus on a flight back from China in 2018, that sucked :sick:

The kids have brought this nasty little bug home every 18-24 months. It's generally good for general clearing-out of my system, followed by a forced 48-hour fast. Fortunately, it tends to be of shorter duration than the "real" stomach flu.

Norovirus is amazingly contagious - I've heard that as few as 20 virus particles can make someone sick. If you've got a school full of kids who have no concept of handwashing and thus are shedding trillions of virus particles every time they touch a door knob, hand rail, etc., that's a lot of potential inflection. If you're the poor SOB who is stuck caring for someone with the virus or cleaning up after them, it's almost guaranteed that you'll be exposed.

Also, most kids present symptoms for only a day or so (mine have always bounced back amazingly quickly - usually right around the same time that I'm catching it), but people can remain contagious for several days after the symptoms disappear. So kids stay home for a day, go back to school because they're apparently healthy, and then leave a trail of virus in their wake.

Add all this up, and it will spread through a school (or office building, or cruise ship) like wildfire. For someone who is otherwise healthy, it's usually just inconvenient, but knocking down the immune system for a few days provides the opportunity for all sorts of nasty secondary infections to set in.

Reactions: kthomas
I think the real danger of the corona virus is to the stock market. That’s what my main concern has been. And yesterday that realized by quite a few more people than me.

As for the chinese....all the footage i’ve seen come out of there and i cant believe a virus hasnt gone through already and set them back before this. Im not the smartest guy, but even i can see that place is a prime opportunity for a pandemic to start.

Reactions: Crang
i would be care more about the number of death caused by flu. Apprently, it has killed 8200 since last October, which seems way more deadly than the coronavirus.

1580565259301.png

R

It almost makes a guy wonder if this isn’t a ploy to put the brakes on the stock market before the election?

Conspiracy theorists...

Just a few coincidences and interesting timing...nothing else to see here.

Settled science. Has already been debunked. And so on...

I think the real danger of the corona virus is to the stock market. That’s what my main concern has been. And yesterday that realized by quite a few more people than me.

At current valuations, the stock market is a fragile house of cards that is going to become undone by the slightest breeze. Coronavirus, trade uncertainties, a nasty fart on the NYSE trading floor - it's not going to take much for someone to sober up and realize that a lot of stuff is overvalued. I just hope this holds off until after the election.

As for the chinese....all the footage i’ve seen come out of there and i cant believe a virus hasnt gone through already and set them back before this. Im not the smartest guy, but even i can see that place is a prime opportunity for a pandemic to start.

Yep. And if it doesn't happen this time around, it'll just happen at some point in the future.

I'd like to think that we'd eventually learn from one of these close calls, but that is not the way that humanity is wired.

Well, the news says there is a confirmed case in a neighboring city and by neighboring, I mean walking distance and I've been there 5 times in the last week.

If this is as bad as I think it is, I'm probably screwed.

Yup. Knoxville had a nice little “flu-cation” for the schools.

AE154A02-B86F-4971-8E8F-811418BE36AE.jpeg

so, I work in Pharma quality. Abbvie is a customer of mine. I find it fascinating that the solution they’re looking at to combat Corona is Aids medication. I saw something yesterday that said AIDS and Corona had many similarities in their makeup. Still trying to find that post. But, it seems like the strains were altered or tampered with in that regard.
seems likely that this was not just a normal flu outbreak no?

But, alot of money to be made in this cure with the global hysteria.

Well, the news says there is a confirmed case in a neighboring city and by neighboring, I mean walking distance and I've been there 5 times in the last week.

If this is as bad as I think it is, I'm probably screwed.

TBH, if you do get it, then it would be "best" to get it before the system is overwhelmed.

Hard to say where this whole thing goes. Part of me think its a too convenient distraction. The other part says the next month could get ugly.

Hard to say.

Take this for what it’s worth. Twitter banned ZH for posting these preliminary theories and findings. But would make sense in light of the proposed solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.