• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The single all-around rifle?

Re: The single all-around rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bohem, Will you be scoping your Super Redhawk? Have you fired it yet?</div></div>Wow: to hijack your own hijack; a record.
That's what PM's are for, whether or not you read what others write on a Thread.

A 9" SRH with scope is about the equivalent of a general purpose or all-around rifle. But I guess that depends on if you handload or shoot magnum revolvers very much.

A similar general purpose, all-around weapon is a .44mag Desert Eagle, especially the 6" barrel with 220gr Sierra Silhouette bullet.

I dunno if Ruger still makes the lever action .44mag carbine, but that or a Marlin, maybe even a Puma in .454 Casull makes a great all-around rifle. Especially the Marlin or Ruger as they can be scoped so easily.

If I had only $300, I could "get along" with a .270win ADL or a .30-06 if in elk country, maybe .35Whelen if in AK. Probably would be fine with the .270win in AK if you use Barnes 180gr bullets or Barnes/Nosler 150 grain bullets.

Would be great to have a H-S Precision blind magazine stock (ADL or Alaska Wilderness Rifle style), and a 22" fluted varmint contour barrel in all stainless Rem 700 LA. .338/06 AI would take any game in USA. Add a lightweight leupold 4.5-14x Mk4 scope and would have a real versatile rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 9" SRH with scope is about the equivalent of a general purpose or all-around rifle. But I guess that depends on if you handload or shoot magnum revolvers very much.</div></div>
confused.gif
Now you're trolling, right?

I train folks to get good hits with their M4's at some pretty insane distances; and, they're shootin M855 using BDC as-issued iron sights. I think the M4 would be the gun you'd want to go to, if there's ever a time when you need a gun to go to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like an AR: varmints, predators, pest control, structured and unstructered competitions, marksmanship development, deer hunting and security/defense. </div></div>Agreed. With 77gr mag-length SMK's now available the .223 AR may be, all around, handier and better and less prone to breakage than the bigger version in .308.

Then the question becomes: are the drawbacks of a semi, like powder burn-rate limitations, legal restrictions, mag-length OAL restriction, recoil forces from the bolt, and a slight accuracy disadvantage enough to make a short bolt-gun the only way to go; or does the portability and modular interchangeability of the AR platform trump the extra bit of durability, accuracy, precision and ergonomics available in a bolt-gun?</div></div>

In daily diddling with the AR concept, comparing it to the bolt action, I have not experienced any of the disadvantages you mention.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bohem,

Will you be scoping your Super Redhawk?
Have you fired it yet? </div></div>

I probably will not be scoping it, especially in the short term. The money involved is high for what little I'd be using a scoped pistol for. Instead of paying out for a scope I used the money for 2 bullet moulds and a Lyman 4500. I shoot a lot of lead in 9, 40 and 10mm already, I finally broke down to buy the rest of the support equipment for churning out cast boolits.

The scoped pistols like this are certainly heavy hitters, I'm cutting out of work at lunch tomorrow to go shooting, I can't wait.

I do shoot a lot of 10mm auto and my dad has the exact same revolver, I've probably fired 2000 rounds of various loads through it since I was 10, I finally had enough of "dad, can I borrow your 44 please?" and bought my own.

I am nothing like Mr. Keith, so I wouldn't consider a heavy revolver to be on the same level as a 30-30 in my hands, I'm much better with a rifle, but I do agree that a heavy revolver in at least 44mag up to 454 or 480 is a serious piece.

As near as I can tell, Ruger no longer makes the lever 44mag or any lever guns. The 77/44 was a nifty little rifle and if I find one I'll probably buy one. They also used to make a 5 shot carbine in 44 mag in the 80's. Looked and functioned exactly like a 10/22 but shot full bore 44mag.

I haven't decided if I want to get a Marlin lever in 44 yet or not. I want a smallbore revolver for pistol hunting small game, I'm probably going to get the Single Six in stainless with the 6.5" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...my dad has the exact same revolver...</div></div>Would you kids please take it to PM's, or to AR15.com, and stop crapping in other people's threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I train folks to get good hits with their M4's at some pretty insane distances; and, they're shootin M855 using BDC as-issued iron sights. I think the M4 would be the gun you'd want to go to, if there's ever a time when you need a gun to go to.</div></div>You bring up an excellent (implied) point: that an informed all-around choice would involve both rifle AND an ammunition selection, as a package. As you know the M855 sucks in the wind, and it's even worse for energy transfer: there have been reports of enemy hit with it that have returned fire effectively against out troops. For operational work, Shadow Team was getting good hits with M4's out to 800m in Ramadi with the 77SMK BH load, and reported very excellent lethality with that bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...my dad has the exact same revolver...</div></div>Would you kids please take it to PM's, or to AR15.com, and stop crapping in other people's threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I train folks to get good hits with their M4's at some pretty insane distances; and, they're shootin M855 using BDC as-issued iron sights. I think the M4 would be the gun you'd want to go to, if there's ever a time when you need a gun to go to.</div></div>You bring up an excellent (implied) point: that an informed all-around choice would involve both rifle AND an ammunition selection, as a package. As you know the M855 sucks in the wind, and it's even worse for energy transfer: there have been reports of enemy hit with it that have returned fire effectively against out troops. For operational work, Shadow Team was getting good hits with M4's out to 800m in Ramadi with the 77SMK BH load, and reported very excellent lethality with that bullet. </div></div>

Using M855's wind constant of 10, a 10 mph full value wind measured at mid-range will require about 36 inches of favor for a good 600 meter hit. No doubt, the higher BC from the SMK 77 will get it way out there nose-on with a little less favor.

Glen Zediker (maybe?) mentions the AMU standardizing on 77gr mag-length loads for all Service Rifle competition at one time, and winning with their usual aplomb. Most guys single-load 80gr rounds for the 600yd stage. Read a post from a Capt stationed in Iraq who wished for a 20" barreled AR to enables hits past 350yds. The Capt's remarks were posted on nationalmatchUS website and he was a SR shooter.

Sitting here with an AR-10 A2 w/24" Armalite T barrel. It is a great all-around rifle. Maybe I will cut the barrel to 20" someday? Since it measures about 42.5" oal and weighs right at 11 lbs w/sling, no magazine, why cut the bbl? 20rd mag loaded puts the weight just under 13lbs. Carryhandle has an extra hole drilled to accept a Trijicon Reflex on ch mount. Has JP float tube and A4 gas block for front sight detachment. Can mount barrel band front sight anywhere on barrel forward of gas block. Barrel is chrome-moly. Have thought of reaming to .308AI. Carryhandle sight is slightly lower on AR-10 than AR-15. If I ever find a Swan A2 extended base I will be able to use a scope and keep a good stock weld.

Put a match aperture rear sight assy in the A2 upper; maybe have John Holliger at White Oak pin the rear sight, and you have precision equivalent or better than any scope. Not as much range of elevation, but you work with what you have. General-Purpose, all-around rifle... Is an A2 sight system more durable than a scope? You bet! Whatever could bend or break an A2 rear sight would completely destroy any scopesight first. A2 sights are more "repeatable". A2 sights are arguably faster. Much faster to use even in holdover, holdoff situations. If you KNOW your rifle you have the confidence you need.

AR-15 similarly configured is also an excellent all-purpose rifle. Depends on your terrain and if large dangerous animals live in your area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azerious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">My Marlin 336 30-30</span></span></div></div>That limits you to 100 yards - 150 if you're good.</div></div>

sooo uhh...when in a self-defense situation do you need to shoot something past that? apparently YOU are limited to 100-150 yrds as i can hit a steel out to 300 if i do my part and i am not a gifted shooter by ANY means. seriously if someone is shooting at you past 100 yards there is something wrong or you have some shitty luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But the ballistics of a 30-30 just ain't that interesting.</div></div>

seems a tad better than 7.62x39....and that seems to do the trick on most things it hits... and dont say that round is innaccurate, a SKS in skilled hands is accurate enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azerious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azerious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">My Marlin 336 30-30</span></span></div></div>That limits you to 100 yards - 150 if you're good.</div></div>

sooo uhh...when in a self-defense situation do you need to shoot something past that? apparently YOU are limited to 100-150 yrds as i can hit a steel out to 300 if i do my part and i am not a gifted shooter by ANY means. seriously if someone is shooting at you past 100 yards there is something wrong or you have some shitty luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But the ballistics of a 30-30 just ain't that interesting.</div></div>

seems a tad better than 7.62x39....and that seems to do the trick on most things it hits... and dont say that round is innaccurate, a SKS in skilled hands is accurate enough. </div></div>

I said practically the same thing and clearly it didn't get the point across

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azerious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sooo uhh...when in a self-defense situation do you need to shoot something past that? apparently YOU are limited to 100-150 yrds as i can hit a steel out to 300 if i do my part and i am not a gifted shooter by ANY means. seriously if someone is shooting at you past 100 yards there is something wrong or you have some shitty luck</div></div>OK. You are a better shooter than me. And that goes for both of you if it makes you feel better; thanks for the input.

But regarding the 30-30 at 300 yards, both penetration and lethality are lacking, even and especially when compared to a 7.62x39. As for my shitty luck: try as I might, I have not yet been able to predict what will happen in a future armed conflict.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azerious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems a tad better than 7.62x39....and that seems to do the trick on most things it hits... and dont say that round is innaccurate, a SKS in skilled hands is accurate enough.</div></div>Which begs the question: Accurate enough for what?

These are just my opinions;

I am thinking a .300 win mag aprox 8.5 pounds in weight utilising a 3.5-15x50 NXS in NF ultralite rings. Action set in a Manners MCS-T.

As another poster said above lite enough to carry up a hill, heavy enough to be shootable and enough scope for some LR as well as be able to hit moving game close in as well.

All aspects of this rifle MUST be simple and easily obtainable bread and butter eg; NXS scope very reliable, better choice for this style of gun than IOR type brands which can be hit and miss in my opinion. Calibre thats easy to get brass etc. No Exotic Cals or "Ackley Improved" etc.

This is a build I'd like to do one day.