• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The smoothest action.

The smoothest action.

• BAT tactical

Votes: 18 11.1%
  • Deviant

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • Other

Votes: 119 73.5%

• Total voters
1905 Argentine Mauser. Action is smooth as glass, best I've ever felt. (Not my gun below.) (Sighs)

000070.jpg

The more i watch people run them the more i want one but for a switch barrel rig it just seems impractical to spend another $450 on a bolt. When i have the TL3 setup and can grab a bolt head for $180

I wish I could get my hands on a Curtis Customs action... I really want one but I can't get myself to buy one without touching it! It looks like an Impact will be my choice because every review is the same...
I’m right there with you. Safest bet seems like an impact right now anyways. Haven’t laid hands on either yet tho

Let us know what you think! Have you tried an impact already?

I've tried an Axiom and an Impact.

For the Curtis: the bolt lift effort is very comparable to a typical Remington 700, which is quite the achievement being that it's only a 60 degree throw as opposed to a 90. It feeds real smooth and didn't bind as much as my TL3.

In comparison, the Impact binds even less, and the bolt lift effort is like lifting up on a Remington 700 bolt after it's already been cocked, it's very light (same with the Lone Peak actions). It also feeds smooth and is probably the most robust of the actions i've owned. However, it's a 90 degree throw.

Basically, if you want a 60 degree throw, Curtis is hard to beat. If you don't have a preference between 60 and 90 degree throws, I always recommend Impact or Lone Peak.

Last edited:
I've run every action you can name, and have owned most. The Impact stands out for smoothness, quality and caliber of people that stand behind it. I am not someone trying to "plug" their sponsor. I paid full retail for their action and will proudly do so on the next one I buy.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how the newer Curtis Vectors perform. They seem to be making great actions. Of the customs I have handled/shot (Deviant, BAT Tac, 592, TL3, Axiom, Axial Precision, AI, 2008, 2013 and a couple others), I'd definitely go with the Bat Tactical. Deviants are very smooth, as well as the TL3's, but personally, I think the BAT has them all beat.

I was floored at the smoothness of that action. Not to mention, it's built like a brick shit house too.

A little bit contrary to your vote list but run the bolt on a krag.

I forgot about this one. I want a 30-40 Krag bad. That single lug bolt looks absurdly smooth and almost anyone that has ran it says the same. I need to get one

DLC may feel smooth at first, but remember the downfall is that it can chip. The metal under the DLC (paint) is not hardened. Once it starts chipping it will keep going and the metal under has no treatment.

This action was bought new in July. 1500 rounds through it.

The BAT TR is melonited (nitride) (QPQ) (case hardened) It will stay smooth forever.

IMG_5357.jpeg

DLC may feel smooth at first, but remember the downfall is that it can chip. The metal under the DLC (paint) is not hardened. Once it starts chipping it will keep going and the metal under has no treatment.

This action was bought new in July. 1500 rounds through it.

The BAT TR is melonited (nitride) (QPQ) (case hardened) It will stay smooth forever.

View attachment 6962787
Which action is pictured here, nbutze? The port angle looks like a BAT but with such a close up I can’t tell. (And others might like to know as well)

Which action is pictured here, nbutze? The port angle looks like a BAT but with such a close up I can’t tell. (And others might like to know as well)

It is NOT a BAT as BAT only comes in Melonite.

I would rather not throw the manufacturer of this action under the bus because it is the coating's fault not the action builder's.

DLC is also vapor deposition not really a coating in the literal sense and certainly doesn’t lend to chipping. It should be just the opposite actually. Been using DLC for some time now and never had a “chip” It will wear eventually due to abrasion as anything would but I’ve never heard of a chip. My tempest has well over 1500rds through it, countless cycles, and little to no wear. Both my TL3 and our SR3 are also DLCd.

Less the dlc was applied to surface other than the action material itself I. E. There was another coating/paint prior?

It is NOT a BAT as BAT only comes in Melonite.

I would rather not throw the manufacturer of this action under the bus because it is the coating's fault not the action builder's.
The new Bat Tactical actions, the Elites I believe, are apparently DLC coated. Hence, why I asked. Thanks

Just switched from a Tikka to the DT platform and I think we can all agree that DT will not be considered to be a smooth action but the versatility and compactness definitely makes up for it. As stated above, Tikka's smoothness is truly amazing and should be at top of anyone's list looking to get into a great rifle at an affordable price.

How does nitride usually hold up?

I think I had about 4k rounds through my nitrided Tikka when I sold it and it had been used hard in dusty conditions. In the high wear areas in the bolt raceway, it had started to get some grey areas where it was wearing thin, but was still hardened there, did not rust and ran smooth. If you want an example look at a well used Glock. It's pretty easy to put several 10 thousand rounds on one and they don't show much wear at all.

I have had a BUNCH of custom receivers over the years. Honestly, none of them were noticeably smoother than a tikka!

I think I had about 4k rounds through my nitrided Tikka when I sold it and it had been used hard in dusty conditions. In the high wear areas in the bolt raceway, it had started to get some grey areas where it was wearing thin, but was still hardened there, did not rust and ran smooth. If you want an example look at a well used Glock. It's pretty easy to put several 10 thousand rounds on one and they don't show much wear at all.
Nitride is a hardening process and the black color is a bi-product of the process. The color wearing off is completely normal.

Since Lone Peak was mentioned, does anyone know if any smiths have these on the shelf? Or best to order from them?

TS Customs had action and barrels when I had Travis build me a dasher.You will love the fuzion action

TS Customs had action and barrels when I had Travis build me a dasher.You will love the fuzion action
Do you know of anyone doing prefits for the fuzions yet? I know it’s not on PVA website tc

Last time I spoke with Brian he said next batch of actions should all headspace the same.This should allow barrels to be chambered without the action.Hopefully there available now as this was a couple months ago.Call lone peak or TS customs they will both know.