• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Social Dilemma Documentary...you need to watch

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2012
    Somewhere in the US
    Not that anyone with half a brain didn’t already know this stuff but it’s super interesting. The messed up part is that they are using manipulation in a documentary about how manipulation through social media is bad. Lmao. They are doing it in multiple ways.

See if you can pick up the subtle hints that still pushes leftist agenda..:eek:r tries and backs up some of their claims.

Reactions: PBWalsh
    My wife and I watched it as well, pretty good watch. But yeah, anyone who doesn't already know this stuff is pretty dim.

Ehh, maybe I missed it when watching it. Needless to say I don't really trust any social media platforms. What did you see pushing?

Ehh, maybe I missed it when watching it. Needless to say I don't really trust any social media platforms. What did you see pushing?

Going to see if there are some others that might see them and report back first but there was definitely some slapping of the face to people that might not be group think or not have leftists ideals. Things to pay attention to, governments being in control, one person controlling it all (hinting as if it might be bad for someone to ask for more control which is funny because at the end that’s kind of what they ask for), Russia hacking the 2016 election, voter fraud, overall manipulation, civil war, book pushing. I can go on and on. There was hidden agendas in there for sure. I’m not saying that what they are saying isnt true tho, at least some of it. And all of this is definitely of concern but if you have a brain you should have seen this coming. Funny thing is, ive been preaching about this crap from the onset and I was told I was crazy or a conspiracy nut and so on. People have no clue how much data is collected on them or how much they are manipulated everyday. Anyways thats enough. I don’t want to spoil the fun....

the major hint seemed to say that there is a lot of disinformation out there and that most of what people in the right believe is fake...

Last edited:
    Maybe they were hinting at "Right = bad". I kinda regulated to what they were saying as in, "be careful, think for yourself, do your own research." Either way, duh, folks should be doing that anyways! But that requires logic and effort, both of which are in short supply for most.

Haha, like you say, if this surprises anyone, they need to check themselves.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    I watched this last night. Although I disdain social media, this was informative. I thought it interesting because I assume that the people being interviewed were very likely left leaning, they were warning against fake news and election manipulation. I was surprised this was addressed so candidly.

My wife and I watched it and I had my older daughter watch it on her own and come talk to me about it. She has a phone and Pinterest but nothing else. The stuff about the massive increase in teen girls hurting and killing themselves hit me hard.

Did pick up a few subtle lefty agenda pieces but overall was impressed at their attempt to mostly leave partisan stuff out even considering probably everyone involved is super left wing. In fact the director has made more obviously agenda driven movies in the past but seemed to try and reach a broader audience here.

Watched this last night with my wife. It was a real eye-opener for a lot of reasons, especially the statement that the companies are the customers and the users are the "product." I always wondered how useless digital apps were being bought and sold for billions of dollars, and this made it crystal clear that the apps themselves are just the avenue to turn people into zombies and have companies market their products for as long as you're willing to scroll. Facebook or IG or whatever doesn't actually sell a thing; rather they sell every single one of your views, likes, and clicks to the highest bidder.

I'm usually not for big government oversight and involvement, but it's pretty scary to think all the big apps are self-regulating themselves. I think the point made that some oversight to help protect the "product" aka us and our impressionable kids is a valid one. Meanwhile people like Zuckerberg think they can keep creating more and more AI to solve the problem of a disconnected and disenfranchised population, when in reality that just digs the hole deeper and deeper.

Also telling was at the end, when all the former silicon valley bigwigs made it clear that their kids have extremely restricted access (or no access at all) to smart devices and social media apps.

Twisted minds never get the message.

Targeted advertising is just another pain in the ass that we all learn to deal with, so deal with it.

Someday, somebody will figure our how to make this stuff painful for the manipulators.

That'll be an interesting day.

Greg

It was a good watch, and while it didn't really illuminate anything my wife and I didn't know or expect, I know more then a few people that would certainly benefit from watching this documentary.

This film is about 3-4 years too late IMO, but it covers the gist of the problem fairly well. I say this having had direct experience as a senior engineer in this exact industry:

No, this is an actual documentary that interviews many of the people that pioneered social media and some of the key people that engineered the monetization models. It describes the severe risks and threats to democracy through AI-driven surveillance capitalism in the "human futures market" (subsequently, the most lucrative market that this planet has ever seen).

It also describes how their machine learning algorithms have create a side effect for greatly dividing people (the algorithmic math / code behind it isn't even something that they can control!), and how its eroding society's sense of mutually agreed "truth". As well, the sick effect that it's having on children (I really feel that all children should be required to watch this).

There is some dramatization sprinkled in here and there, but it's completely necessary to get through to those that cannot wrap their heads around the problems that need to be stopped.