• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes The truth about Leupold thread

I've got eight or nine Leupys. Most are just vari-x-III or VX-III, the highest end I own is a Mark 4 4.5-14x40.

I've had to send two in for repair. Both were bought second hand and had problems when purchased.

The first was a Vari-X-III 1.5-5 illuminated. The battery would run down quickly, even when the power was off. It states that electronics are not covered under the lifetime warranty in the manual, so I was figuring to have to pay to get it fixed and asked for an estimate. The scope came back in a couple of weeks working fine, Leupold had replaced the circuit board in the scope for free and it has been running great ever since.

The second was a VX-II 1-4x that had something on the inside of the objective lense, looked like oil. Sent it to Leupold and had it back in a few weeks just like new.

Neither of these problems prevented the scopes from functioning.

Nothing but good things to say about Leupold. I don't give a damn about all the latest tictical crap on the market, I just want a solid, well built scope for hunting and target shooting, and Leupolds provide that and back it with good service.

I have used Leupold scopes off and on for many years, I have only had a few minor issues and only one total failure, but stuff breaks. Where I have been most impressed is with their customer service.

For many years Leupold was near the top of the optics food chain, then other smaller optics companies (such as USO) that had their finger on the pulse of the shooting world started listening to the customer and offered more features to suit the shooters personal needs (mil/mil or MOA/MOA, reticle and turret choices, incresed tube size), which lead to a change in how optics were viewed and made. Leupold is a big company and at the time did little to change its business plan and follow suit with the "smaller guys", companies such as USO followed by S&B, Premier and many others started seeing increased sales and popularity, and in a big way.

Today, Leupold has changed its outlook and realized that they too need to offer newer and better products to meet the demands of the shooters, if you look at some of the high end optics Leupold produces today you can clearly see they have seen the error of their ways. We are indeed a fickle bunch of bitches, always wanting the newest and greatest.

Kirk R

Ive owned three Leupold scopes and all have worked great. None of them have broke.

One is I a 3.5-10 mk 4, vx2 4-12, and a very old 6 power

I have been very pleased with Leupold

I'm not a fan of the Horus reticles, but that one looks interesting.

HRF

I'm not a fan of Horus type reticles either but the CMR-W ain't too bad. They also have the M-TMR in the mk8 I think that has a real limited (for lack of a better word) tree in it.

I just looked at the Tremor 2. I agree, very similar to the Horus. There's just a little too much going on there for my liking.

HRF

Could someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I kept seeing L.E./Mil regarding the discount offered by Leupold. From what I understood, I thought they offered their discount to active/reserve military and federal officers only, not all LEO's. That's kind of funny because a U.S. Postal Investigator would be able to take advantage of their discount but a local police or Sherff's Deputy on a tactical team wouldn't. Not talking trash, I just thought it was a strange policy.

I really want a made in USA Leupold scope for my ar15. I contacted Leupold in August about the possibility of converting a mk4 2.5-8 to mil adjustments. Here is the message:

Mitchell

we do not have MIL adjustments for that scope at this time. we are working towards having these available as a retrofit to scopes later on. we hope to have these out the first quarter 2013

thank you

---- Original Message ----
Is it possible to convert a MK 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36 scope to Mil
adjustment turrets?

About the first of January a Leupold employee came into the retail store I work at. I asked him if he knew about mil conversions and he new exactly what I was talking about and said it would be soon and to contact them after SHOT. In March I tried to contact them twice via ask an expert with no reply either time.

I Finally called the custom shop and had a long conversation with an employee. I told them I am really on a budget and want a Leupold scope. I was told they cannot convert an mr/t scope. I asked about my second choice a 3.5-10 mk4. The man told me that their m5 turrets are designed for ffp scope and they cannot retrofit them to sfp scopes. I explained that I have read several accounts of here on the hide of members having this done. I was told that the adjustments would not track properly with a sfp scope. So end of conversation and my hopes of owning a Leupold at a price I can afford.

Every Leupold rep/employee I talked to was very friendly and tried to be helpful. But the bottom line is I they cannot supply me with what I want at the price I need. The new Viper pst looks good, although I have failed find any subjective testing on it. It has all the bells and whistles I would want but I would really like to purchase products made at home.

Could someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I kept seeing L.E./Mil regarding the discount offered by Leupold. From what I understood, I thought they offered their discount to active/reserve military and federal officers only, not all LEO's. That's kind of funny because a U.S. Postal Investigator would be able to take advantage of their discount but a local police or Sherff's Deputy on a tactical team wouldn't. Not talking trash, I just thought it was a strange policy.

just how it is, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, for example, last year, FN was blowing out PS90's for something like 800 dollars for LE, inquired about military and got a no go, oh well, you just have to really contact alot companies and just ask if they have a program,

LEOs can always go to Promotive.com and take advantage of it there.

I have a Mark 4 8-25x50 on my Barrett M99 50 BMG, I have about 200 rounds through it and it has held up perfectly to the abuse. The only issue I had with it was dust inside the lenses, but it wasn't severe enough to cause me any issues shooting it. I bought the rifle used and it came with the Leupold scope and Barrett's BORS system. Last fall the BORS had an issue so I sent that back to Barrett and figured I would send the Mark 4 back to Leupold to be cleaned at the same time. Leupold cleaned it and returned it in about 5 weeks.

I like the Leupold, but it is 1/4 moa with Mil-dot, I just don't understand why companies would make such a configuration. Like I said, I bought the rifle with that scope on it, I wouldn't have chosen that configuration. But it does work good, The M99 has a built in 27 moa rail, and I can shoot out to 1 mile from a 100 yard zero.

With that being said, I bought a Vortex pst 6-24x50 mil/mil/ffp for my 300 WSM as a tactical/target rifle. The optics aren't quite as good, but the optics were never to blame anytime I missed a target. I'm also having a 260 Remington built now that will wear a Vortex Razor. When shopping for a scope for the 260, I considered Leupold, but the Vortex Razor just had more features for the money. So even though I consider Leupold to be a good product, I think there are better options for the money. Even the Vortex PST at just over half the money has more features than a Mark 4, and my PST has seen over 700 rounds through it from a 300 WSM and still works flawlessly and tracks great. The only real problem with the PST is the internal adjustment (65-75 moa I think), with the turrets and reticle maxed out I can only get to about 1650 yards (with a 20 moa rail), not too bad, but I go to a range about once a month that has a 1 mile target, and I cant get to it with that scope.

Also, I have a Leupold Mark 4 20-60x80 spotting scope, and I really like it. I was able to look through a Vortex Razor spotting scope @ 30x next to my Mark 4 @ 30x last weekend, and even though the Vortex was nice, my Leupold was better. I liked the reticle better in my Mark 4, and noticed that mine was clearer and more crisp.

I've purchased 7 Leupolds in the past 2 years...
2 - VXII
1 - VXIII
3 - Mark AR
1 - Mark 4

All work well for there intended/designed purpose. I've had no problems and will be buying more as needed and can afford ;) I own NF, Vortex and SWFA scopes as well so I'm able to compare and contrast. I think Leupold provides a good product and is a good value.

Since it appears my little informal, unscientific, poll is on its way to cyber Heaven, I thought I'd try to come up with a final tally of the positive vs. negative comments for any of you who have been trying to keep up. Going back over the entire four pages, I tried to look at each post. Some of them were hard to categorize, as they were either peripheral comments, or they expressed both a positive and a negative view in the same post. If there was an initial problem, but CS corrected it and the poster was happy with the overall experience, I counted it as a positive. If not, it was a negative. If I couldn't really tell, or if it was just an "I think they should offer bell X, or whistle Y" type of comment, I didn't count it at all. In any case, I came up with 63 positive comments/experiences vs. 15 in the negative column (feel free to go back through and count them yourself if you're inclined to double-check me). So roughly 80% of the people who elected to comment here are happy with Leupold and/or its products and 20% are not. That's still a hefty figure for the "not happy" category. If I can gauge the trend, though, It seems most are happy with the direction the company is going, and the vast majority of those who have had dealings with Leupy's customer service are pleased with the experience. Oh, and John-in-WYO wins the prize for the best CS story! Hope you guys enjoyed this, take care!

HRF

hrf it is a good topic so weldone to you Sir, I sent Leupold a couple of emails sitting here a few weeks back one was about my Binoculars and I never heard back from them(three weeks ago) and two weeks ago I sent them and email asking which were their FFP scope models, I got an answer about a week later and all it said was mk6, mk8, mk4. So that was as much use as a chocolate Tea Pot, So I guess I will have to try and work it out for my self, Shame really, Because the People over at Vortex have spent loads of time on the phone with me going through the Pro's and Con's of SFP and FFP and every other Product they sell,

For so many years I have wanted to Buy all Leupold Gear and Never been able to for one reason or another, and now I wont just because of their lack of interest,

John

I haven't found a Leupold recently that I wanted to buy. Their best scopes are overpriced and others are doing things better. Leupold sell a lot of scopes and on the whole give the public great service; there will always be the odd hiccup but they are a lot better than some.

Recently with so much long range sniping being done shooters are demanding a lot more. They have shown they are willing to pay big bucks for it too. S&B, Zeiss and a couple of others used to be the bomp proof military preference in Europe. They cost a bomb then and still do. NF was the second choice if money was tight. Leupold wants some of the big bucks action and prices show it. High demand from the military has damaged service support even from the old school boys (Zeiss, S&B??). There is a lot of competition but its not denting the price because the military demand and Obama effect clears the shelves continuously. S&B have order books full for years to come and no real need to supply the civilian market. Others also are doing well from the upsurge in long range "sniper" shooting, so its not surprising they are all becoming blasé.

I have a couple of older Leupolds and they are staying on those older rifles. I've bought more recently: Zeiss Conquests, Zeiss Victory and a Bushnell 6500; most recent a Zeiss Conquest HD5. Sold a S&B but might buy again. See the picture no Leupolds. No NF either as I don't rate the glass (but I wouldn't knock someone for having one).

On Sniperhide we want locking target turrets; great glass; repeatable, dependable and fine clicks; choice of reticules (I prefer fine plex in 2FF but then I'm in a minority). I like fixed powered scopes too but they are out of fashion. Lastly, there is almost too many models and options; 80% aren't much cop and more to do with marketing than what is useful. Leupold are guilty of this as anyone.

Last edited:
I bought a Mark 4 4.5-14x50 with a Mil-Dot reticle and 1/4 MOA turrets when I got back from Afghanistan in 2004. It went on a 300 RUM Remington 700 PSS. Eight years later and three barrels worth of 300 RUM loads the optic stopped tracking. So it went back to Leupold and came back working like a champ three weeks later. They also found something in the erector and replaced the whole assembly. I've recently sold the optic. It always tracked pretty well but never as well as my Nightforce's and I'm at the point where I need the tracking to be much more repeatable.

While I had the Mark 4 on the 300 RUM, I over tightened the cross bolts on my Mark 4 rings and broke the claw. I called Leupold and admitted my mistake and they sent me a replacement part with no questions asked.

In 2006, my wife bought me one of their 1500 yard rangefinders. It never ranged beyond 750 yards so I sent it in and they sent me another one. They said there was a software error. I dealt with the replacement not working for me for the next few years and had to borrow a friends Swarovski rangefinder every time I wanted to engage targets beyond 1000 yards. Eventually I got tired of the rangefinder holding me back and I sent it in again and they sent me another saying the same thing. I sold it on Ebay without even removing it from the package. I bought a Swarovski and have not looked back.

I recently got a 4.5-14x50. I think it was a long range hunter or something but the ring said Vari X III. It has capped turrets that were 1/8 MOA clicks. I tested the tracking in a fixture and it tracked flawlessly but I didn't like the 1/8 MOA turrets. Additionally, it has a Mil-Dot reticle. I called Leupold and inquired on the optic and they said it was build in 1999 and the reticle was a wire reticle which I thought was kind of cool and retro but I wanted the TMR and the M1 turrets. I really wanted Mil turrets but they couldn't do it. So I sent the optic in with my request and they called me a week later. After I gave them some payment info I received my optic back in a week. Upon inspection, things functioned great and it tracked well. This Mark 4 copy cat will be a nice gift for my brother in law.

Overall, my Mark 4 that I spent a lot of time with handles the abuse very well until I sold it. I have faith that the retro'd optic will perform well for my brother in law and his skill level. When he is ready, I will tell him to trade both his leupold's and his mounting hardware to me and I'll give him one of my NF 3.5-15x50 Mil/Mil optics. Ill just sell the Leupy's to recoup my investment but for now it will work for him.

Leupold's customer service has always been patient and helpful over the years but it does take a long time to get someone on the phone sometimes. With the exception of the rangefinder, I have had good luck with their products and service and if a weapon comes into my inventory that is a good fit, I would not hesitate to look around for one of their products again.

Well I found a list of what the US government spent on Leupold gear for about the past 10/15 years and they dont have to worry about us lesser mortals because the Tax payers are keeping them going

John

Leupold and S&B government contracts are huge. Its getting to the stage that if you haven't got your order in then you had better find someone else. You might want the "best" but they maybe unobtainable for the foreseeable future. Stuff trickles out and its one reason there are no discounts from the manufacturers for the top end stuff. They keep hiking the price to lower demand but and we still want it and price be damned!! Now we have shown we are willing to pay the rest of the range goes up. Supply and demand.

Well like all good things must come to an end, when the governments go to NF or S&B or Vortex even Bushnell, I wonder if they will remember that it was the Public that made them so Famous in the fist place,,

And it does happen because The Vortex Dealers have Just Replaced the UK police Scopes with Viper PST's etc with an equal or better product at a third of the price, and its no wonder that Leupold fix anything to keep us interested Because the Governments get the Discounts and we have to make up for that, So not only does our Taxes pay for their scopes in the first Place we then have to substitute Leupold for the discounts that they give the governments,

When in reality we are paying much more than we know, and then Try to buy A MK4 in the UK they start around £1400/$2170.00 when in the US they RRP for about $989.00, son of ahhh,

Vortex are the only hi end scopes that Keep their prices honest In the UK and all the others I have Listed bend you over, I have,nt bought any yet but thats about to change,

John

Now that Leupod is coming out with products alot of us are interested in, I would buy from them again. My Leupolds were sold to buy FFP Mil/Mil scopes.

Now that Leupod is coming out with products alot of us are interested in, I would buy from them again. My Leupolds were sold to buy FFP Mil/Mil scopes.

Well I sure hope we get the chance to buy them at the right price because this because this is gettin crazy over here, I may have to wait till I go back home

John

I have a 2.5-8x Mk4 Mildot I got from a member on here a while back. Nice scope, but I don't like their metric reticle, inch knobs. I go ahead and use it anyway on the .300BLK I have and just make changes for round I'm using, sub or super. If or when more variety of combination reticle scopes come out for it (right now, Leupold is the only one, but I don't want another mil/moa setup) I may put the Leupold on a light bolt gun for deer hunting. Used their hunting scopes growing up, back when scopes were much simpler it seemed. The world through a Leupold duplex reticle with yellow lens covers. Oh yeah.

I'm a big fan of USO too, just picked one of those up from a member last week. Sweet glass, can't wait to use it. You can't really compare the two though, not a Mk4 to an SN3 anyway. I remember when Leupold was the "best". Sure, there were some nice optics, S&B, etc., but they weren't nearly as common, USO was a niche operation, NF too, and the Mk4 was the measure by which tactical scopes were measured. Even the XM107, when it first came out, came with a damn Mk4 suitable for a .308.

When I get my .50 up this year though, I'll go with the best FFP with the most elevation: right now it looks like the NF Beast (short of an SN9, which is too big). If Leupold makes what I need, what works, hey, I'll go with them. When I cross that bridge, I'll certainly be taking note.

We are a fickle bunch of bitches indeed.

Well I understand why you want to get it right, heck thats alot of money invested on that 50 already so theres no point in cutting corners this far up the road, Plus its your sweat thats paying for it,

John

I have three Leupolds on various rifles.

A VX-III 6.5-20x50mm on a custom Rem 700 in .25-06 AI. Long range deer and antelope gun. Took a nice mulie last fall at 488 yds. Tracks and returns to zero great. Love it. Bought it about 15 years ago for $950. Worth every penny.
A VX-II 6-18X40mm on a lightweight .22-250 for varmint hunting. Great less expensive scope that I don't mind my 10 year old daughter carrying in the field. I bought this (factory refurbished) from Cabela's for $450, good price, and serial number checked with Leupold.
A VX-II 3-9x40mm on my AR-15. BDC reticle, and again, great choice for when my 10 year old carries it in the field. I am not paranoid about her dropping a $1K+ scope.

I have other brands as well, including a few Vortex scopes from the cheap Vipers, Viper HS, and a PST, which are great also. Again, worth every penny.

I have no real high dollar optics, but have done just fine with the ones I have chosen. I would have no issues buying another Leupold scope when the time comes. But, I do think there are more options out there worth considering when looking to drop $1K+ on a scope.

I know for sure I will NEVER purchase another Cabela's branded scope. Back when I was young and poor, I had 4 of them. All were a POS. Even the "Alaskan Guide" model that was top of their line back in the day. What a joke. But, I guess you get what you pay for. A $99-329 paper weight.

They were cheaper when they were privately owned and had a reputation for high quality then they went public and it was like a switch was thrown “how fast can we make them and lets maximize profits and charge 3-5 hundred more” overnight. Suddenly, or shall I say “Coincidentally” just after this time we have exact replicas showing up from Asia (minus the design of the illumination knob)...

Leupold is STILL privately owned. Knock-offs will happen anytime someone thinks they can make a buck.

Leupold Tactical Fed/Mil Program | Leupold Optics It is open to all LE's and Military.

I have two Mark 4, an LR/T and MR/T. I have used them extensively and have not had any issues. I have BDC dials for both of them and for the different rifles. They are very good. As for expensive, I think that they are reasonable - other scopes that I consider on a equal footing are more expensive.

I am in the process of purchasing another rifle and I will purchase another Leupold scope for it.

Charles

I just recently purchased a Mark 4 6.5-20 FFP Mildot with M1 turrets. Iwould have idealy liked to go with a S&B but at double the price it just wasn't in my budget after my last rifle build. I looked at some NF optics and they were more in price and fo equal quality IMO. The higher end NF scopes are up in the 3K+ range now with S&B so that was a no go. I've used Leupolds in the past and never had any issues with them aside from user error caused by me and even then they fixed or replaced it. For the money I spent I'm certain it was worth it and I'm happy with it thus far.

I've used the scopes that are regarded as equal to the Leupold MK4 for less money i.e. Vortex PST, Sightron SIII. I currently own two L/RT TMR MK4's with another on the way that I purchased from the mil program, and IMO the Leupold is the better scope with glass as clear as I've looked through. I run the crap out of my turrets shooting at ranges from 100-1600 yards and the MK4s have held up great. The adjustments are accurate and repeatable. It's true they aren't as positive with clicks as a NF, but they're accurate, tough scopes, that offer the LR mountain hunter weight savings. I've got to be honest. I always thought the MK4s were overrated, and I purchased lesser scopes because of it. Big mistake. The FFP PST had issues right out of the box, and the Sightrons just aren't as clear and they're more finicky to focus (at least the SIII LRMOA I have. I have an SIII LRMD that is better.) I'll continue to choose MK4s as long as I can keep getting them for $900-$1000 because they're easily worth it.

Well I think you spot on there mate, I have just started buying stuff from the US because I just saved over a $140.00 on a pair of boots and thats after paying freight and import duty over here, So I think I will try and find a US Retailer that will ship to me over here because I know if I buy anything else I will always have doubts,

John

Glad to see this thread resurrected after a couple of the more recent ones that have shown up. Maybe we should assign someone to bring it back every 6 months or so.

HRF

Dispite any of our bitchin (me Inclueded) No matter what theres a special kind of Pride in owning Leupold Products and its One Brand that we tend to be more Tollerant of and I think thats the secrete Lies,

John

I've owned about a half dozen Leupolds, at all their various price points except for their $3000+ stuff.

I've never once had to send any back for repairs or service. They have very clear glass (to my eye) and track well.

I hear lots of very bitter hatred towards Leupold. To the point of irrationality. Since it doesn't jive with my personal experience, or the first hand experience of others I know who own Leupolds, I take it as largely that.

Every manufacturer will have the occasional dud.

Glad to see this thread resurrected after a couple of the more recent ones that have shown up. Maybe we should assign someone to bring it back every 6 months or so.

HRF

And you post helps keep it alive. If a problem really exists here, its you, criticizing others for what YOU are doing.

Since it's being brought back...

Would you like me to tell you about the number of scopes sent in for repair that get sent back as many as 3-4x with a 4-6 week wait for return every time with still the same problem, or would you like to hear about how the reps at Leupold say things like "98% of the scopes returned to Leupold for repair aren't really broke."? How about when Leupold constantly tries to convince us that we don't need tubes larger than 1" or how SFP is still better than FFP for everything? Then there's the favorite go-to line for them about how they have so the majority of Military contracts so that proves they're the best. And at least with other manufacturers I don't have to justify the price as long as I'm getting a huge discount since their retail price on some are 2x as much as Nighforce and $1K more than even Schmidt & Bender.

Leupold needs to pull their head out of their ass.

And you post helps keep it alive. If a problem really exists here, its you, criticizing others for what YOU are doing.

I don't believe I've criticized anyone. In fact, I try to be respectful to everyone who posts on one of my threads. My post above was certainly not intended to be critical.

HRF

Since it's being brought back...

Would you like me to tell you about the number of scopes sent in for repair that get sent back as many as 3-4x....

Yes. The purpose of this thread was to allow everyone to share their experiences with Leupold. So, by all means, feel free to fill us in.

HRF

I've owned probably north of 5 Leupolds by now. All were MK4's.

Leupold was/is what I was raised on so, I grew accustomed to that level of clarity...

I've never had a CS issue beyond the fact that my MK4 6.5-22x50 eats batteries even when it's not turned on.

I called about it but, I just remove the battery myself, now, when I'm not using it.

I recently purchased a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS and the Nightforce is significantly clearer...However, it's also 2x the price.

At this point, they need to up their game...Especially in the CS dept. because the rumor mill goes a long way when it comes to scopes and Leupolds CS, even to Mil. is definitely dropping; hard.

After dealing with NF on a sunshade/hider issue -- I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with NF's CS...Much more than I was waiting for an hour on hold for my battery issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes. The purpose of this thread was to allow everyone to share their experiences with Leupold. So, by all means, feel free to fill us in.

HRF

I deal with customers weekly who have been having issues with them. Everything from extremely long wait times for repair on scopes to often getting back a scope with the same problem but being told everything has been fixed. Leupold used to stand for something and used to stand by and listen to customer needs. Now they just like the sound of their own voice trying to give excuses as to why they won't adjust their platform features to match their competitors and why the customer somehow doesn't need what they asked for.

I deal with customers weekly who have been having issues with them. Everything from extremely long wait times for repair on scopes to often getting back a scope with the same problem but being told everything has been fixed. Leupold used to stand for something and used to stand by and listen to customer needs. Now they just like the sound of their own voice trying to give excuses as to why they won't adjust their platform features to match their competitors and why the customer somehow doesn't need what they asked for.

Thank You for the additional info. Can you quantify the number of problems you've seen? I'm just wondering if, for example, you see something like 10% of the Leupold scopes you sell come back with issues; or, is it more like 70%. Also, how does that compare with similar products from other manufacturers? I'm just trying to get a feel for number of deficiencies and how they stack up to similar products. Thanks again.

HRF

How about when Leupold constantly tries to convince us that we don't need tubes larger than 1" or how SFP is still better than FFP for everything?

Leupold needs to pull their head out of their ass.

OK, seriously? You obviously don't know anything about Leupold's product lineup.

You may want to re-locate your head as well.

Your post is typical of the irrational - really, ignorant - Leupold hate I been talking about.

Last edited:
I don't believe I've criticized anyone. In fact, I try to be respectful to everyone who posts on one of my threads. My post above was certainly not intended to be critical.

HRF

If you wish this thread hadn't been resurrected, why are you repeatedly posting in it?

OK, seriously? You obviously don't know anything about Leupold's product lineup.

You may want to re-locate your head as well.

Your post is typical of the irrational Leupold hate I been talking about.

Sir, I believe you have misjudged me. Please refer to some of my past posts in this thread. I am actually in agreement with you; as my experience with Leupold products has been similar to your own. I actually started this thread because, as you note, there is an unusual amount of negativity directed at Leupold and its products. I wanted to use this thread as an opportunity for anyone to share his or her experiences with Leupold or its products. This thread was started 050213, so please don't mistake it for some of the more recent ones that have had a much more argumentative tone. I have no wish to engage in an internet argument. I simply asked to hear from anyone who wished to relate an experience. Thus far, the comments in this thread have been overwhelmingly positive in regards to Leupy. Still, if someone has a negative comment, he may post it.

HRF

Hav owned many Leupolds over a 31 year period, about 9 or 10 I believe. In that time I have bought many other brands as well, all without fail have been ok to pure crap. Numerous VXIIs, VXIIIs, one VX-R Patrol, EFR, 3 Mark 4s and the latest a Mark 6. People that keep claiming they have not stepped up their game need to take more care about what they are shoveling, it is pure BS. I have personally seen 2 of one of the most touted scopes here that were utter crap right out of the box, I will give you a hint, they cost more than a Leupold. For some strange reason people will often claim they sell for less, I call it fanboy economics. I would love to own a USO or a March, S&B etc but Leupold is more affordable and are plenty adequate.
I currently have in my possesion the first Leupold I ever owned. It was bought for me for my 13th birthday, I was born in December of 1968. If you do the math the scope is actually closer to 32-33 years old. It is a VXIII3.5-10x40. It has watched the demise of at least a third of the deer I have killed, that number would be some over 25-27 or thereabouts. It has rode on nearly every rifle I ever hunted with which would include many calibers from 22lr to 300WM and many points in between. It has clattered to the floor off a kitchen table, slid down the side of a pickup to clatter on the ground, banged , beat, and hopped from ring to ring. It wears the many fumbling ring marks of a teenager mounting his own scopes. To be frank it looks like hell. Never lost zero, never had any problems. I sent it back to the factory for its 30th anniversary, and as a treat had a set of target turrets installed. They cleaned it and regassed at no charge and the turrets were $105 if memory serves. Still a great scope and I am quite fond of it, it will be passed on to my progeny. It will likely serve them a lifetime trouble free as well. This scope was made before Vortex or Nightforce was an itch in the optics industry's pants.
Bought my FIL a 2.5-8x36 last year after convincing him that he didn't have to re-zero a Bushnell every year. He thought everyone re-zeros their scope every year. He did not believe that my Leupolds held zero all year in a safe...he does now, he owns the solution. Admittedly his Bushys are of the $250 and less variety. When I bought him the scope, used by the way, it was missing the Leupold medallion on the side. I did not want to give it to him like that even though I got it cheap. I sent it right out to Leupold with instructions to SIMPLY REPLACE THE MEDALLION. I got it back within 2weeks with a very nice letter and sheet explaining all the work that was performed to include:
Replace medallion
Replace both occular and objective lenses
Replace turret internals and externals with upgraded "click" style turrets
Regass
They also checked how much windage and elevation it had and made detailed note of same.
NO CHARGE!
Yeah. They are overrated and overpriced. I will be rechecking the zero next week(at his insistence) I am betting it is exactly where I left it last year.
I bought this scope used for $225.

My Mark 6 is really a cut above. Worth every penny at 2K. I would rate them above a NF in a minute.

I keep hearing how they are overpriced but no one seems to actually be able to show it without fudging the numbers...I am still waiting for that solid definative proof. I wish I could actually get these guys that aren't content with their Leupold to sell me one for what they claim they are "really" worth. That seems a bit telling to me.