• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Welding and Metalworking Thread

Except it says it won't work on my phone. Not updated in 4 years.
I just found one thanks to the post that looks like it might be good. I SUCK with phones it is just called handyman calculator and it is green. I just downloaded it so I have nothing to say about it yet, but it looks like it could be good. Something to play with today.

This should be printable….

You’re welcome!!

View attachment 8387841

Sirhr
Something that may be helpful is the Tap Drill and Thread Height Chart from Harvey Tool. I use it frequently as it is easily readable and has the theoretical % of thread engagement.

And the threaded hole clearance chart

Firewood rack for a custom home friend is building for a client. 12'x5'x2' made with 14 ga 2" square tubing, 1.5" 9F expanded metal with U-trim. Should hold nearly a cord.

IMG_2872.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG

I like the U trim. I have never used it. Much cleaner way to attach expanded metal. What is it?
It's 18ga bent to a U 1" in width and provides a nice way to attach and finish expanded metal edges. Not carried by many metal suppliers and bought it online. Most expensive material in the project.

Reactions: ggmanning
Students ability to break the shit out of stuff will never stop amazing me. My eyes went from top to bottom with increasing thoughts of how the hell?

1000008114.jpg

Reactions: BScore
Reactions: ZiaHunter
Students ability to break the shit out of stuff will never stop amazing me. My eyes went from top to bottom with increasing thoughts of how the hell?

View attachment 8395637
So, one of the kids got over-zealous and over-tightened the blade tension to 'shaft-snapping' levels?

Or did they "help" the saw by pushing down on the head end?

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Not sure. It wasn't working right so we started investigationg. Saw the tension was low so started adding it and it never went up. Cracked it open and peices started falling out. And the more we looked the worse it got.

My guess is a student had an issue of some sort and tried to sort it out on their own and made it worse.

The kids will buck it, but I think they will like it in the long run
We have a cell phone policy on the jobsite in which only those authorized by the superintendent are allowed to carry phones otherwise they are left in their vehicles. Safety requirement but has also has helped productivity since the phones are such a distraction. Lots of the young guys griped but were told you could find another job to work if you don't abide by the rule. Pet peeve of mine.

We have a cell phone policy on the jobsite in which only those authorized by the superintendent are allowed to carry phones otherwise they are left in their vehicles. Safety requirement but has also has helped productivity since the phones are such a distraction. Lots of the young guys griped but were told you could find another job to work if you don't abide by the rule. Pet peeve of mine.
Great job.
I don't let my guys listen to their earbuds, but unless there's a problem with someone using their phone too much, I dont restrict it

Here's a worthless time sink for you guys.

That’s pretty cool!

Pyrex (it was cheap and safe trainer material for newbies).
Few years ago I made a 1/2” endmill from a piece of Pyrex, then glued it upright into a little led ice cube. Made a cool little illuminated light.

Last job, I let my guys wear a single earbud, but not both. They seemed to appreciate and understand the rule. Never had a problem, anyway.
That’s what I do. Beats the shit out listening to 5 different radios at the same time.

Talking about ear buds.....Just so you know many hearing aids will bluetooth to your phone as well. You can take calls on them and yes listen to music.

There are two things I will bring up however, I doubt you would have issues with anyone old enough to have to wear hearing aids, and when I am around loud things I take the things out pretty quickly.

Until I got them I had no idea how loud the world is. My wife would disagree but not hearing is pretty nice.

On a side note they can help greatly with the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound that is in my ears all the time.

I wear ear buds while machining. Mainly because of my absolute hatred of compressed air. Hurts my ears so bad. But I am noticing that even with noise canceling on so I can keep the volume lower my ringing in the ears is getting worse. I’m wondering if the buds are making it increase.

Reactions: LeftyJason
I wear ear buds while machining. Mainly because of my absolute hatred of compressed air. Hurts my ears so bad. But I am noticing that even with noise canceling on so I can keep the volume lower my ringing in the ears is getting worse. I’m wondering if the buds are making it increase.

I do over the ear, that and mowing. When I shoot it is in the ear I guess you would say.

I tried different "in the ear" type protection when working on stuff and I just don't like it.

Shooting I totally hate over the ear, I can't get my face comfortable on the rifle, and it just flowed over to hand guns. I know some folk that do both on the louder things.

It "cancels" noise by playing more sound in a way that will destructively interfere with the other sound.

Reactions: doubloon
My mom got my dad the otto noise barriers and he loves them he wears them all the time. Had my little family birthday shindig at his house and he put them in help with the noise from 7 adults, 5 kids, 4 dogs, and the TV. He uses them in the goose pit and they help him hear the birds. Went on a hog hunt and he could here the racoons fart at 60 yards.