• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

The wife's rifle?

Goodwood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
Utah, USA
So, I'm interested in gathering some ideas for a new rifle build for the wife. I'd love to see some pictures to get the brain juices flowing...

This is going to be a short action bolt gun for precision range shooting and competition. Maximum range of +/- 1000 yards, but more realistically shot to about 3-500. This is going to be "the wife's rifle," and at this point she will be the primary shooter. She is not a novice shooter, but this will be her first precision bolt gun.

I'm thinking of building an efficient to hand-load, smaller than .308 bigger than .223 caliber, shorter barrel (about 18-22"), lighter weight gun, but I am open to stocks, actions, etc... First thought was a 6.5 CM, but I'm open to anything, maybe a .243?

What have you guys built for the ladies?

Re: The wife's rifle?

.243 seems to be about the comfort line for women, unless brakes are involved.

I think you are already close to an answer for caliber. .243 or one of the 6.5s (6.5CM, 260, 6.5x47 etc) would be great for what you describe

Are you going to show her how to reload? Im building my wife a 6 Creed, she just doesnt know it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you going to show her how to reload? Im building my wife a 6 Creed, she just doesnt know it yet. </div></div>

Lemme guess, you're even going to shoot it for her?

My wife has a dirt bike like that. It's hers but I ride it more than she does.

Joe

I'll play, I had GAP build her this 260 Rem.
Needless to say, she loves it!

Bartlein 20" fluted bbl
Manners MCS-TA Stock at 14" LOP
Rem 700 action
6 flush cups
Paint by Todd at GAP
Nightforce 5.5-22x50 MOA NPR-1 ZS HS
Badger 20 MOA base
Badger med rings

ROs260077.jpg

IMG_6030.jpg

IMG_6029.jpg

This last pic shows the Rad-Tac mag release

ROs260075.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mattm0812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.243 seems to be about the comfort line for women, unless brakes are involved.

</div></div>

Hey now... I shoot a 243 with a brake on it
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scudzuki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you going to show her how to reload? Im building my wife a 6 Creed, she just doesnt know it yet. </div></div>

Lemme guess, you're even going to shoot it for her?

My wife has a dirt bike like that. It's hers but I ride it more than she does.

Joe </div></div>

Actually, I asked her if she'd like to partake with me when I shoot the 600yd comps we have at our range, we'll see if I can talk her into it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sportin' wood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mattm0812</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.243 seems to be about the comfort line for women, unless brakes are involved.

</div></div>

Hey now... I shoot a 243 with a brake on it
laugh.gif
</div></div>

No kiddin'...

I shoot a 260 that is plenty tame for a lady. Especially with a brake on it. Here is a pic of mine. It comes in at around 17 lbs empty though. So it really isn't all that light.

IMG_0024.jpg

my wife loves shooting my 700 Police in 308 w/modified 40x stock...

If she were to shoot a 243, 6.5, she'd like them too but she had no problem handling the 308 in a factory setup...I'm sure she'd like the M40 barrel w/A5 stock better

243, I shoot some with brakes and even a suppressor or two. .243=she/man winning combo. Makes dasher and 6xc shooters pissy, but even better.

Some great suggestions so far.

LegioX:

How much does that beautiful rifle weigh? It seems to be along the line of what I was imagining in my head.

Scudzuki:

I will be lucky to shoot this rifle as soon as she knows it is for her!

Unfortunately, she has seen the whole re-loading process, and I have not been able to get her to participate very enthusiastically. I think she will just be placing her ammo order for the time being. (I don't mind this at all if it means she wants me to follow her to the range!)

Some more info:

She shoots a handgun very well, but as I mentioned, she is going to be trying the bolt gun for the first time in ernest this summer, and I really am going to try and build this one to suit her.

She has shot my hunting rifle (7 1/2 pounder in 30-06), and it was WAY too much for comfort recoil wise. But, she can shoot it off hand with proper form and she could shoot strings of ten with it if she was not tired of the recoil abuse. She can take the recoil of my M1a all day, but the 10.5 pound weight is on the high side for her to comfortably shoot off-hand, and to carry around all afternoon.

I would love to do a nine-ish pound rifle (without bi-pod, but with the optic), and still keep recoil tame. I would also prefer to keep it brake-less if possible (I'm going to be the poor guy shooting next to this rifle at the range).

My wife is 5'8" and I think she is going to be comfortable with around 12" LOP. What stocks would you guys recommend? McM? Manners? Chassis may be to heavy?

How would you guys sort the above calibers in order of recoil?
What about in acending order from a reloading cost and effort?

Lots of questions, but with my limited experience I've found no better place to ask them!

Thanks guys! And keep the pictures coming!

My wifes rifle was assembled out of a pile of parts sent Black Ops Precision. Went 223rem as she won't be shooting outside of maybe 300 yds or so, 16.5" Brux barrel, screwed to a R700 action stuck in a McM A5, Badger M4 bottom, Badger rail topped of with USO titanium rings and an ST10. Simple enough.....and she loves it!

Next time I think she should go 6.5 Creedmoor.

IMG_0699-Copy.jpg

i built my wife a 223ai so i could use it to shoot Pdogs and stuff when i wanted but i could have her shoot 5.56 LR out of it and fireform for me
laugh.gif

WOW! That's a nice stick!

Do you know how much it weighs?

Love the blue in the stock!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i built my wife a 223ai so i could use it to shoot Pdogs and stuff when i wanted but i could have her shoot 5.56 LR out of it and fireform for me
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Am I overlooking the obvious solution by shrugging the .223? I really would like the gun to compete with (or surpass) my .308, so I immediately went the the 6s and 6.5s because I really don't have experience with the .22s beyond about 600 yards with a 220 Swift and .22-250. Am I going to be disappointed with a .22, or are they really legit to 1000 if I'm not looking to kill anything but paper and steel?

Why not get her a Rem700 5R? If she likes shooting it, upgrade it. If not, easy to resell. They come in 223 and 308.

I think Joe hit it right by going 223AI but that involves hand-rolling your own. If doing it again or building another like I had mentioned I'd go 6.5C as it's available as factory load from a few vendors.

Before mounting the scope it was a tick over 10lbs I think.

Thanks, the stock started life as molded in urban camo but part of the finishing process Mike uses they do a lot of fine detail work so they sent the stock off to 30calsniper (Todd Jackson) for the finish. It's my wifes favorite camo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Woodyguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This is going to be a short action bolt gun for precision range shooting and competition. Maximum range of +/- 1000 yards, but more realistically shot to about 3-500. This is going to be "the wife's rifle," and at this point she will be the primary shooter. She is not a novice shooter, but this will be her first precision bolt gun.

I'm thinking of building an efficient to hand-load, smaller than .308 bigger than .223 caliber, shorter barrel (about 18-22"), lighter weight gun, but I am open to stocks, actions, etc... First thought was a 6.5 CM, but I'm open to anything, maybe a .243?

What have you guys built for the ladies? </div></div>

So, a wife here. Thought I'd crash the party. I currently shoot matches with a Remington 700 with a 6.5 SLR and have a 6 Creedmoor barrel as well. Barrel is 27" with a Mini-Muscle brake from the guys at Benchmark Barrels. Stock is currently an AICS and my LOP is 13. However, am shopping because with the total rifle weight at almost 16 pounds scoped up, I need to shed weight with a lighter stock again. Originally had a McMillan A5 but didn't like my lack of gripping control. LOVE the AICS but worry about losing too much time in competition hefting it around. I believe in being physically fit...but I'm not out to win awards for unnecessary issues. Now looking very hard at a Manners T5 for good grip and control without the pounds of the AICS. Also like McRee chassis but am having a hard time as they are so light.
My first precision rifle was the A5 stock, .223 AI. I loved it BUT, depending on what type of targets you use, it would not swing steel at 1k yards. A major problem if your spotter is calling misses or seeing dirt splash but the strikes are too light to move anything. So I'd advise higher than a .223 for the distance. As for the brake, I finally agreed to one after being placed on a firing line with two guys that had them. Let's just say that I ate so much of their dust that I had to join the club. I'm 115# and 5.5. I don't notice a lot of recoil on the 6.5 without it on, but it does make heavy shooting sessions less memorable the next morning. It sounds like your wife knows her way around guns and it could go either way with a brake, depending on how many she plans to send downrange at a time.

In short:
-6.5 SLR is rock solid, as is the 6 Creedmore
-A brake will make the most the dif. if she shots a lot or higher caliber than either of the above
- Find a stock that works for her LOP and gives her the best control with good placement in the pocket.
- We females (as my audience well knows) can be stubborn creatures and like to look badass. If she picks something heavy, let her drag it around a bit then be ready to trade it off when SHE decides it is time. I really didn't want to swap until I had held different stocks. NOT my husband. ME.

Here's a pic of my McMillan/6.5SLR here, scope is Vortex Razor:
rareduced13.jpg

rareduced14.jpg

SFSMayA2_zpsd50f7515.jpg

Thanks for the female input!

To have her get some experience hefting and feeling the gun is great advice. I think I'm going to collect several rifles from friends to have her shoot before we get to far down the road with the build, particularly the stock. We just bought her a new handgun, and shot about ten different calibers and configurations before she decided which one she liked the most. I hope I can do something like this with the rifle.

Is the second picture the 6 Creed barrel? I just noticed it is not fluted. Are you choosing the 27" length for a particular reason other than just velocity?

Thanks again, lots of good information!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not get her a Rem700 5R? If she likes shooting it, upgrade it. If not, easy to resell. They come in 223 and 308. </div></div>

Good suggestion.

I might try to start with a stock rifle, like the LTR or the 20" 5R, but I'm not certain I want to be into either the .223 or the .308 calibers, so I may be barreling the gun straight away.

If I decide on the .223, I think I'll go with one of the stock Remington's or Savages, and build from there. I have a 20" Remington in .308 that she has shot, but I think it is a little bit heavyweight and hard hitting recoil wise. I'm really trying to hit the sweet spot on this rifle by building something that is light enough for her to carry around and shoot in a competition setting, but doesn't pound her with recoil.

I also feel like I want to keep myself interested in this gun by going with a different caliber and helping her develop loads for it. I have never had an excuse to venture into the 6mm or 6.5mm calibers, and I think that this gun may give me the excuse, if one of these is suitable for her (as it seems they may be by the opinions expressed here to this point).

I don't think the stock rifle option is dead yet, but I really want to see what other folks have built to fill this role. I think it is good for her to see the rifles that other women are shooting as well.

Build her a 243. Somethin around 8Lbs. Not too heavy but enough weight to be solid and it wont
need a brake.(My God, a brake on a 243? Why? Unless you have a bad shoulder, Other than that, there is no excuse) Its WAY MORE useful than the little teeny weeny 223. LOL!! ITTY BITTY!!! Run a fast enough twist to run the 105gr AMAX. You will also like the 87gr VMAX for vaporizing prarie dogs or squirrels or the neighbors damn tom cat that keeps pissing on everything.(supressor required) Just kidding. Seriously though, the 243. Its the best thing that ever happened to the 308 case.
Also, you cant go wrong with the 6.5 CM But I dont have much experience with it. BUT, me and the 243win are good friends. And many squirrels hate us. Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Woodyguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is the second picture the 6 Creed barrel? I just noticed it is not fluted. Are you choosing the 27" length for a particular reason other than just velocity?
</div></div>

That second one is of the 6 Creed, with a RAD brake. Barrels are both from Benchmark. Primary reason for those long barrels is for the velocity; w/3,020fps on the 6 at the moment and 115 DTAC and 6.5 is 140g at 2820. Not a hot load. We were shooting slower burning powder originally. Although if I was going to pay to have one fluted, I wanted the most bang for my buck.
smile.gif

Prior to AICS configuration, the rifle weighed in at 13# w/ the McMillan. I hunt with the same gun as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Woodyguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some great suggestions so far.

LegioX:

How much does that beautiful rifle weigh? It seems to be along the line of what I was imagining in my head.

Scudzuki:

I will be lucky to shoot this rifle as soon as she knows it is for her!

Unfortunately, she has seen the whole re-loading process, and I have not been able to get her to participate very enthusiastically. I think she will just be placing her ammo order for the time being. (I don't mind this at all if it means she wants me to follow her to the range!)

Some more info:

She shoots a handgun very well, but as I mentioned, she is going to be trying the bolt gun for the first time in ernest this summer, and I really am going to try and build this one to suit her.

She has shot my hunting rifle (7 1/2 pounder in 30-06), and it was WAY too much for comfort recoil wise. But, she can shoot it off hand with proper form and she could shoot strings of ten with it if she was not tired of the recoil abuse. She can take the recoil of my M1a all day, but the 10.5 pound weight is on the high side for her to comfortably shoot off-hand, and to carry around all afternoon.

I would love to do a nine-ish pound rifle (without bi-pod, but with the optic), and still keep recoil tame. I would also prefer to keep it brake-less if possible (I'm going to be the poor guy shooting next to this rifle at the range).

My wife is 5'8" and I think she is going to be comfortable with around 12" LOP. What stocks would you guys recommend? McM? Manners? Chassis may be to heavy?

How would you guys sort the above calibers in order of recoil?
What about in acending order from a reloading cost and effort?

Lots of questions, but with my limited experience I've found no better place to ask them!

Thanks guys! And keep the pictures coming! </div></div>

Woody, the rifle weighs 12.8 lbs

Thanks guys (and gals),

I think if I went after a build similar to LegioX's build, but put it on a diet (no night optic mount, use a leupold or vortex optic etc.) I would be real close to the weight goal.

The sr15match rifle is close - maybe add two inches of barrel length, and flute it?

Thanks of all of the input so far. Keep it coming!

So I think I'm going to need to go caliber comparison shopping on some of the other ___vs.___ caliber threads to decide for sure what to do there. I'll keep the caliber conversation here simple. I am still thinking .243, .260, 6 or 6.5mm CM. I think any of them will work well from a performance standpoint. Which of these is the lowest recoiling?

I built a 308 for my wife.

It's a rem 700 tactical. RH
Badger bolt knob
Badger brake
Seekins 20 MOA rail
Old style rem 700 trigger
MCrees Precision chassis fixed
Seekins 30 mm rings
SS 5-20x50 in route

Shoots either copper creek or south west factory ammo into little bug holes so its plenty accurate for its purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is what I did for my wife. She loves it:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...803#Post3331803 </div></div>

Thank you for this link as well. Tough to argue with the 5R. I have also seen consistently good results with them.

Any reason to go with a 5R action if I'm going to re-barrel? My thought was a used SPS sporter as a donor, am I overlooking any advantages of starting with the 5R in this case?