• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Wood Shop

20220428_160854.jpg
my latest project.

I plan on giving that a try, thank you very much for the suggestion!
DW
Rub it in good. It’ll really start to come alive after a couple coats. Keep in mind that it won’t have the same wood feel as linseed oil, but more of a hard shell depending on how many coats.

I’d get 2-3 of the small bottles over the larger jar. The shelf life once opened isn’t very long. Lasts a little longer in the fridge, but you get about two weeks after opening before it gels.

I’ve used timberluxe regular and the #2 formula. They both work equally well. Both work over cyrstalac grain filler.

Reactions: deltawiskey
Rub it in good. It’ll really start to come alive after a couple coats. Keep in mind that it won’t have the same wood feel as linseed oil, but more of a hard shell depending on how many coats.

I’d get 2-3 of the small bottles over the larger jar. The shelf life once opened isn’t very long. Lasts a little longer in the fridge, but you get about two weeks after opening before it gels.

I’ve used timberluxe regular and the #2 formula. They both work equally well. Both work over cyrstalac grain filler.
I appreciate the tip on ordering multiple small bottles, I had one large bottle in my cart...ordered 3 small bottles instead.
I will let you know how it turns out
DW

Reactions: pmclaine
I appreciate the tip on ordering multiple small bottles, I had one large bottle in my cart...ordered 3 small bottles instead.
I will let you know how it turns out
DW
No worries, and I think you’ll like it. It really does bring out the chatoyance extremely well. To me, it’s worth the price.

It’s definitely a use or lose finish though. Once you open a bottle, that’s it. Use that bottle up because it’s going to gel.

And the best application method really is with your hand and fingers.

Reactions: deltawiskey
I'm asking, because ya'll know better than I.

I'm cutting down a chokecherry tree that is slowly dying of some disease that's running rampant through this city. All the chokecherry tree's are 'kaput'. BUT, it's looking like a nice interesting color for that which I've cut so-far.

Anyone ever used this stuff, for doing anything? Make some grips for My Lady's 1911? Some of my Smith's?

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER
For pure beauty, Timberluxe. For a M40, can’t fault what you use!

I plan on giving that a try, thank you very much for the suggestion!
DW

You's got me thinking about lubing my Beever with Timberluxe.

The LRI gun may be more "presentation grade" anyhow and let's face facts I never beat my rifles up.

Delta looking forward to your work keep me posted.

Excuse me, Mr. Fatcock?

What do you think of the Timberluxe walnut stain?

I'll be trying to recreate Winchester red/brown.

You's got me thinking about lubing my Beever with Timberluxe.

The LRI gun may be more "presentation grade" anyhow and let's face facts I never beat my rifles up.

Delta looking forward to your work keep me posted.

Excuse me, Mr. Fatcock?

What do you think of the Timberluxe walnut stain?

I'll be trying to recreate Winchester red/brown.
Unfortunately, I’ve never used their walnut stain. I’m partial to the minwax oil based stains at the big box store (GBPSE), and mix them as needed for certain colors. I also use alcohol based dyes.

I’d try a red to reddish orange walnut alcohol or water based dye and play around with dilution. Test on scrap or a part no one will see. Ensure you finish the scrap to the same level of your stock so the test gives an accurate look.

After alot of sanding and fitting, I was able to get the first coat of the Timberluxe on today... thank you very much for the suggestion!
I'm going to end up having to build another M40 now so I can make use of this stock...

stock1.jpg

stock3.jpg

DW

I like it.

Nice color and great grain enhancement.

You using any wet dry paper to slurry it?
No, I left some dust on the stock after my final sanding and then rubbed it in with my hands. Timberluxe is really hard to get off your hands!!
DW

No poly in Timberluxe as far as I know. I rarely grain fill with slurry anymore, and use crystalac. Fills very well, and no worries of adding sanding marks while trying to slurry. Dries clear, and really helps add a 3D depth.

Stock looks amazing by the way. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Back on the bandsaw today. Got a 1/4 of my blocks cut into blanks. Got some good book matches, and my favorite, stuff good enough to make matched sets of grips for revolver pairs.

326D0E4B-A546-4E18-A05F-43E5BE30CD2A.jpeg
4BD6C7D6-690B-4B7D-A9B8-635756D55F04.jpeg

Claro walnut. I can get a set of matched grips from here:
46E2EE80-41B5-46EA-923A-41611AF0926A.jpeg

Claro walnut:
3557E0ED-6592-44A8-8820-39EA46F4EA1B.jpeg

Some nice English walnut:
E282E098-7971-481D-A0B7-4EC6C29E1F71.jpeg
76C5C944-5CFD-4120-AC6F-A9964CD5FE88.jpeg

Next sets of blocks will have a lot of waste since I’ll be cutting blanks for N-Frames.

Really beautiful stuff gentlemen. Feel like a real amateur.
I’ve recently been hunting the woods here in Texas for interesting chunks of Mesquite. Never done anything but grill with it. Stuff actually has some beautiful grain. But man, it is hard as metal. 80 grit on an orbital just burnishes it.
Here’s a chunk I’ve been grinding on. Not sure where I’m going with this. The more I grind the better it gets .

Attachments

• CF176B26-C521-4340-ACA3-D5CBEF0A3609.jpeg
    CF176B26-C521-4340-ACA3-D5CBEF0A3609.jpeg
    804.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 213227C9-E2DB-46B1-B0E3-BF4FA3D3BBBA.jpeg
    213227C9-E2DB-46B1-B0E3-BF4FA3D3BBBA.jpeg
    915.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 762683F2-CC95-4B1F-B710-128AA22D1EBE.jpeg
    762683F2-CC95-4B1F-B710-128AA22D1EBE.jpeg
    612.9 KB · Views: 85
I'm trying my hand at woodturning. I've had some success with mesquite and epoxy. This bowl is not finished (all I have on it at this point is one coat of danish oil) but I'm pleased with it. The wood is some that my dad and I cut maybe 25 years ago. It is full of bore holes and the ants were flying out of it as it turned. The base was deteriorated so badly that I had to use epoxy. If I tried to chuck it up with the bare wood it would have crushed it.

Attachments

• mesquitebowl1.1.jpg
    mesquitebowl1.1.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 45
  • mesquitebowl1.2.jpg
    mesquitebowl1.2.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 44
  • mesquitebowl1.3.jpg
    mesquitebowl1.3.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 50
I've searched but unable to find....
There is a beautiful, in progress, Macmillan A5 duplicated in wood by someone. I was wondering if there were any updated pics of that. Anyone know where that thread is?
I'm seriously thinking I may do something similar with a stock duplication service then finish it and checker it myself.

Wife picked up some nice cedar slabs at a flea market. $5.00 each. Gotta figure out what to do with them

273FB674-171E-4EC7-9DDF-2AC7A8ACF2EF.jpeg

This is rosewood and curly maple with 150 year old walnut border I made for my wife. I used a jig to size the squares individually and they are glued down with marine epoxy. The surface was then sanded down to remove the epoxy and finished with instrument lacquer to a low gloss.
IMG_0013.jpg

This is another piece of the 150 year old walnut with a book-matched glue up. It has a machined lazy Susan base and is finished in natural Danish oil. The chatoyance on this piece is amazing.
Walnut Lazy Susan 2 small.jpg

_CCP3176 small.jpg

4C9C8D1D-ED9F-4602-98EA-6DE435999CE3.jpeg

Been wanting to make a Lake Table so have done Lake Champlain and Lake George. Will be putting in brass and German Silver pins for the forts and battles.

Painted the lake floor with enamel and will pour the resin over it…. With light tint. Should make a cool depth map!

Next… stain then pour epoxy resin.

Sirhr