• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Wood Shop

I wetted this down for the first “raising of the grain” for some final sanding. Gives a pretty good idea how it will look after it’s oiled. I’ll work it until those lines created by the CNC machine disappear and it’s smooth as glass.

IMG_0938.jpeg

Is it a brittle epoxy? Will it chip with use?

I’ve never had an issue with it chipping. The inlay cut is .250” deep so it’s a thicker pour. It will definitely show knife marks faster than the end grain wood will though. Most people use these for serving or charcuterie and don’t actually cut on it. I’d have no issue cutting on it though.

Reactions: Average guy
I used to program a CNC for a countertop shop. I made a clock out of two pieces and slid them together. I kept taking a few thousandths off until they fit. I used two contrasting colors. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

All of that was for tossing out the idea that you could cut the letter out of a piece of solid surface and it might as some durability.

• Love
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Yesterday used my ms261 to chop up some logs for my FIL to make them usable to cut up to eventually turn on his lathe. Have to get the chain sharpened cause a couple were more root balls with included crap. Should've done those last not first. No pics taken during the work. Might have to get my FIL to take some pics.

I used to program a CNC for a countertop shop. I made a clock out of two pieces and slid them together. I kept taking a few thousandths off until they fit. I used two contrasting colors. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

All of that was for tossing out the idea that you could cut the letter out of a piece of solid surface and it might as some durability.
DEFINITELY would like to see pics.

Yesterday used my ms261 to chop up some logs for my FIL to make them usable to cut up to eventually turn on his lathe. Have to get the chain sharpened cause a couple were more root balls with included crap. Should've done those last not first. No pics taken during the work. Might have to get my FIL to take some pics.
Wait.....
You had to have the chain sharpened ?

Is there something I'm missing here ?

My neighbor went and bought a new chain. Took him 30 minutes to drive there and back, plus install time.
Found out, he got the wrong chain and had to do the trip twice.

I offered to sharpen the old chain for him....🤷‍♂️

I saw a table made like this in a display/showroom. It was much larger but same concept.

There's a ton of stuff you can do with solid surface materials. It works just as easy as wood but your tools need to be sharp.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I was scared there for a bit.

That thing took me half day yesterday and the morning today.

Had I done it again 1/2 inch less front and back would have been perfect.
I had an issue very similar after putting in my laminate flooring. Had to use a plane a little but it fit

Reactions: pmclaine
Funny thing about getting compliments on my wood.

Most women I’ve made furniture for don’t want highly figured wood. Something to do with gay interior design and shit.

I was commissioned to make a cherry dining table, and I had enough prime highly figured cherry to make it. Lady said NOPE! She wanted straight grain cherry with no curl. It ended up costing her more for the straight grained cherry I had to source than the figured cherry I had milled 10 years ago from a free yard tree, lol.

Funny thing about getting compliments on my wood.

Most women I’ve made furniture for don’t want highly figured wood. Something to do with gay interior design and shit.

I was commissioned to make a cherry dining table, and I had enough prime highly figured cherry to make it. Lady said NOPE! She wanted straight grain cherry with no curl. It ended up costing her more for the straight grained cherry I had to source than the figured cherry I had milled 10 years ago from a free yard tree, lol.
These new are Interior designers all copy one another and like simple stuff like black and white…. Unless it’s Netflix… then black on black

• Love
Reactions: Bigfatcock
These new are Interior designers all copy one another and like simple stuff like black and white…. Unless it’s Netflix… then black on black
We need to re-instate public flogging for crimes against nature. In doing some research for a project for the wife, I found this group of self anointed interior designers who are "distress painting" old furniture. Apparently, wood, especially figured wood, is bad. There are dozens of videos of these "craftspeople" destroying solid cherry, walnut, and quartersawn oak pieces with paint to give it a "modern look". Solid walnut table with book-matched top? "Use an oil based primer to get good adhesion and two coats of enamel to ensure the color doesn't bleed." The horror...

We need to re-instate public flogging for crimes against nature. In doing some research for a project for the wife, I found this group of self anointed interior designers who are "distress painting" old furniture. Apparently, wood, especially figured wood, is bad. There are dozens of videos of these "craftspeople" destroying solid cherry, walnut, and quartersawn oak pieces with paint to give it a "modern look". Solid walnut table with book-matched top? "Use an oil based primer to get good adhesion and two coats of enamel to ensure the color doesn't bleed." The horror...

The curl and quilt doesn’t mesh with clean lines in the household, so I kind of get it.

If I’m putting painted furniture in the house then it’s going to be poplar or bondo’d pine. No reason to use anything else.

However, I still prefer women customers. They come in with an idea and a price point and rarely bat an eye at the quote. They understand the effort for the end product.

Male customers want grade AAAAAAAAAAAAA figured wood for the price of pre-Covid Home Depot 2x4’s, and they expect you to build it with free labor.

@Bigfatcock
Do you think this little guy is worth refinishing? It doesn't look bad from 10' but it has a sizeable dent and a few places where the finish got some sort of heat damage. I was able to smooth out most of it with oil and steel wool, but the finish feels like some sort of shellac or varnish.

20230512_074519.jpg

20230512_074559.jpg

If I was to do it would you recommend another shiny finish, or a nice boiled linseed type of finish?

Is it even worth it?

@Bigfatcock
Do you think this little guy is worth refinishing? It doesn't look bad from 10' but it has a sizeable dent and a few places where the finish got some sort of heat damage. I was able to smooth out most of it with oil and steel wool, but the finish feels like some sort of shellac or varnish.

View attachment 8139762

View attachment 8139763

If I was to do it would you recommend another shiny finish, or a nice boiled linseed type of finish?

Is it even worth it?

It has beautiful color and good grain. Hopefully it’s natural color and not stained or dyed.

I’d find it worth it to re-finish it. Refinishing is pretty easy. Especially that one because it has no checkering. Use citristrip gel, and plastic scrapers to remove the bulk of the old finish. Try to use sand paper as little as possible to remove the varnish.

I prefer a hard coat finish like tru-oil over just a linseed finish. Just something about a high gloss finish that speaks to me.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll strip a little out of that skinny barrel channel to make sure it isn't dyed before stripping the entire thing.

It's for sure a walnut stock. I have a newer 581 (this one is a 580) that is most likely birch, but it's dyed a walnut color. It won't get a refinish because there's nothing to the wood.

Hopefully this 580 will retain its color and figure. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll strip a little out of that skinny barrel channel to make sure it isn't dyed before stripping the entire thing.

It's for sure a walnut stock. I have a newer 581 (this one is a 580) that is most likely birch, but it's dyed a walnut color. It won't get a refinish because there's nothing to the wood.

Hopefully this 580 will retain its color and figure. Fingers crossed.

The consistency of the color makes me think it’s dyed or stained, but really good air dried walnut was common in that era so it’s possible it’s natural.

If it is stained/dyed I’d still refinish it. Won’t be hard to match that color tone, and I’d do a multi coat dye job to better accentuate the black lines. So I’d lay a thick coat of dark walnut/red/orange dye on it. 6:1 dark walnut/red orange would be a solid starting point for ratio.

The curl and quilt doesn’t mesh with clean lines in the household, so I kind of get it.

If I’m putting painted furniture in the house then it’s going to be poplar or bondo’d pine. No reason to use anything else.

However, I still prefer women customers. They come in with an idea and a price point and rarely bat an eye at the quote. They understand the effort for the end product.

Male customers want grade AAAAAAAAAAAAA figured wood for the price of pre-Covid Home Depot 2x4’s, and they expect you to build it with free labor.
Let the chicks subsidize the dudes.

Charge the hoes and discount the bros…..

The chicks will even blow you harder thinking they are getting premium not knowing they are dollar cost averaging me into a paneled library with a smoking jacket, soft slippers, a safari hat and premium gun cabinet.

Someone here had a graphic of “da’ hoes”……

Let the chicks subsidize the dudes.

Charge the hoes and discount the bros…..

The chicks will even blow you harder thinking they are getting premium not knowing they are dollar cost averaging me into a paneled library with a smoking jacket, soft slippers, a safari hat and premium gun cabinet.

Someone here had a graphic of “da’ hoes”……

Lol. It’s interesting for sure and just something I’ve noticed over the years. The women know what they want (mostly), and cost usually comes second to what they want.

Lol. It’s interesting for sure and just something I’ve noticed over the years. The women know what they want (mostly), and cost usually comes second to what they want.
Dude chicks hate dark wood….you know what I mean.

I spent days stripping paint off all the trim in my house and and as soon as the trim moved in the paint got slapped back on.

The day is soon coming when the American women will crave for the dude with the dark wood that can slay the dragons amassing for the kill.

We will earn our paneled libraries and be the righteous bros speaking of calibers and terminal velocity as they pour our libations….

image.jpg

Yea, those are Mother’s Day flowers….

I have outgrown our basement area, so I brought in a 12x32 building and have been moving my stuff in. Still have a table saw and lathe, cabinets and a workbench to go. It is filling up fast. My saving grace is, Ms 502 is not allowed to put shit in my wood shop, period! Otherwise it would look like a homeless encampment in about a month.
20230514_154331.jpg

I have outgrown our basement area, so I brought in a 12x32 building and have been moving my stuff in. Still have a table saw and lathe, cabinets and a workbench to go. It is filling up fast. My saving grace is, Ms 502 is not allowed to put shit in my wood shop, period! Otherwise it would look like a homeless encampment in about a month.View attachment 8141162

Are you going to insulate it?

I’m working on deign right now for my next shop, but I plan to have tons of windows.

The wood sheathing is coated with a silver reflective insulation. I can’t put more insulation in because it will sweat. Luckily here in NC, it shouldn’t be too bad to heat or cool. I have a freestanding AC unit, and plan to use one of those Amish fireplaces for the winter. Turn it on, go work out for 90 mins, then go to the shop. I know there will be a trial period to figure this stuff out. I have six months until I retire. I can’t freaking wait!

Reactions: camocorvette
@Bigfatcock , one mistake I made, I went with the small standard window, and it’s about too small to put in an additional window unit. Make sure your windows are big enough for what you want.