• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Wood Shop

Well I was setting out some targets and noticed the property corner post was dicked up. Tipped over about 75° and it was loose. So...

Pulled it out. Dried it out for 2 days. Wire wheeled the junk wood off. Then hit it with grandpa's 8" draw.
Got it to soak up almost a 1/4 gallon of BLO. Haha

Then planted it back in the ground with a nice rock base and tamped it square.

20230425_173637.jpg

20230425_173644.jpg

Almost certain it will out last me haha.

Fuckin hell…..Circular saw. Happened Jan 22. 3 surgeries.

Fused it first, then the bone got infected and I lost the tip anyways.
**Word of advice, if you do this, don’t fuse it. Just have them take it off. Being fused straight in that knuckle for the rest of my life would have been awful. As it is, I’ve been shooting pistols fine. Also, if I had removed the tip right away, I would’t have scar tissue built up in the 2nd knuckle, from being in a splint for 3 months, requiring PT. I would have been back to work in a couple weeks.

C5B6042F-7309-4DBA-9ACA-58919C0AFF1A.jpeg

F914E0C3-3463-4180-9D96-130E3F1F8966.jpeg

DD4C91A8-F837-4B2A-981C-763E2585C4D6.jpeg

43960157-A36E-4969-8573-10E1119A1CE0.jpeg

A box.

50C98B80-9B4C-4688-AAEC-0F22FB44F819.jpeg

When I pull the clamps off I’ll show the complete lack of effort that goes into my personal stuff. This will hold a set of Lie Nielsen chisels that have been rolling around in a drawer for years. Finally got around to it, lol.

And for anyone who would like to duplicate this modern day feat:

9BCD0381-3796-4F28-AA07-34766FEAE473.jpeg

I build a half dozen or so, but also build/finish other stuff too and use about a half gallon a year. Just hate running out of shit, especially stuff I know is quality and I will use it.

Reactions: Cowpokey
From time-to-time I get requests to make cremation urns.

I always ask if it is going to sit on the mantle or be buried - not that it makes any difference. They still need to look very nice - but most of the time they still get buried. It makes me feel "weird" to bury it in the ground. (Walnut, Birds-Eye Maple, Spalted Maple, Bloodwood, Oak)

I think I would feel the same about these beautiful cutting boards that have been posted. I just can't imagine taking a knife to them.

On a side note my first project ever in Middle School woodworking class was a walnut and maple cutting board. It still hangs on my Mom's kitchen wall. I have come a long ways in the past 50 years.

Anytime I set up at a farmer's market with boards, 85% of the people walking by say, "that's way too beautiful to cut on..." I say throw some charcuterie on there then! lol. End grain can take some serious abuse. I've got no doubt any of the boards I've made over the last several years will outlast me.

Anytime I set up at a farmer's market with boards, 85% of the people walking by say, "that's way too beautiful to cut on..." I say throw some charcuterie on there then! lol. End grain can take some serious abuse. I've got no doubt any of the boards I've made over the last several years will outlast me.

Bet you won’t hand plane one of those end grain boards!!

I’m assuming you use a drum sander for those? They are very cool.

I’ve been asked quite a bit to make cutting boards, but never jumped in and probably won’t.

Odd turn of events is I’ve found making wood weapon replicas for kids is very lucrative! Moms and Dads pay out the ass for curly maple swords, fancy walnut clubs, even granadillo ninja stars. Plus they are extremely fun to make.

It always cracks me up that a housewife will lay out thousands of dollars for a table without batting an eye, but a gun owner won’t spend $500 on a quality walnut blank.

What glue are you using on your cutting boards?

I’ve been asked quite a bit to make cutting boards, but never jumped in and probably won’t.

Odd turn of events is I’ve found making wood weapon replicas for kids is very lucrative! Moms and Dads pay out the ass for curly maple swords, fancy walnut clubs, even granadillo ninja stars. Plus they are extremely fun to make.

It always cracks me up that a housewife will lay out thousands of dollars for a table without batting an eye, but a gun owner won’t spend $500 on a quality walnut blank.

No, planing is just not wise. Electric planers are doable, but you've got to run junk wood around the edges to prevent tear out on your finished piece, which reduces your usable size, and you still run the risk of having a wooden missile shoot out the back of the planer. It's just not worth it to me. Watch some YouTubes of people trying to run an end grain cutting board through an electric planer.

I try to get my glue up as flat as possible, and then flatten on the CNC machine to eliminate as much sanding as possible. I'll do a series of 1/32" passes until it's all evened out. That's what my pic above was, just done with the CNC. Then I start with the DA sander and wet the wood between grits to raise the grain, let dry, and progress through the grits that way until it's smooth as I'm willing to get it.

Reactions: Slash0311
No, planing is just not wise. Electric planers are doable, but you've got to run junk wood around the edges to prevent tear out on your finished piece, which reduces your usable size, and you still run the risk of having a wooden missile shoot out the back of the planer. It's just not worth it to me. Watch some YouTubes of people trying to run an end grain cutting board through an electric planer.

I try to get my glue up as flat as possible, and then flatten on the CNC machine to eliminate as much sanding as possible. I'll do a series of 1/32" passes until it's all evened out. That's what my pic above was, just done with the CNC. Then I start with the DA sander and wet the wood between grits to raise the grain, let dry, and progress through the grits that way until it's smooth as I'm willing to get it.

I was just funnin’

Reactions: darkfader
I guess I have just been lucky, then, because every end grain true butcher block I have ever made has gone through my Dewalt planer several times. I do only plane in very shallow passes, though

Speaking of planers, Can’t remember if I posted that I picked this up View attachment 8132792

Wow! Very impressed! Bench Press or Dead Lift? :p

(Come on . . . you know I am just having fun - right?)

Oh . . . by the way - very nice piece of "old iron". Built like a tank. If you can't find parts for it, you just have someone make parts for it. It needs to be used and not sold for scrap iron.

Wow! Very impressed! Bench Press or Dead Lift? :p

(Come on . . . you know I am just having fun - right?)

Oh . . . by the way - very nice piece of "old iron". Built like a tank. If you can't find parts for it, you just have someone make parts for it. It needs to be used and not sold for scrap iron.
Picked it up for not much more than a new Chinese import 13” planer.

I’ve found that you can almost always buy old 3ph American iron for around the same price as the cheapest shittiest Chinese special.

Picked it up for not much more than a new Chinese import 13” planer.

I’ve found that you can almost always buy old 3ph American iron for around the same price as the cheapest shittiest Chinese special.

I agree.

Every now and then you used to be able to buy "surplus" machines from the High Schools. Now days I don't think they teach anything like "useful stuff with your hands" in High Schools.

So if y'all don't mind, care to share a bit about this "Walrus Oil" and "Board Butter"? I'm curious as to what makes them 'better' and in what way/manner?

No, this is not a challenge at all, I'm honestly asking this question. I too have made a few things over the years, and especially when I was back in High-School. Including cutting boards, and meat tenderizers. We were always learned back then, to use 'vegetable oil'.

And no, I'm not saying that is the bestest.

I’ve not tried the walrus oil yet, but there are a lot of conditioners available. I start with straight mineral oil, it makes the board really beautiful for one, and then keeps the wood moisturized and it’s food safe. I give a brand new board a mineral oil bath until it won’t soak anymore in. I’ll be doing this current board in a day or two and will share pics of the process. After repeated uses and the customer washing the board it begins to dry out so I always recommend to recondition it.

With the board butter I make, I warm it in an old crock pot until the wax melts and mixes evenly with the oil. Then pour into the tins and let cool. A proper mixture will harden to a chapstick like consistency that you just use a wash cloth or similar and rub it onto the board and then buff off. Water will bead on that for its useable lifespan. Once water doesn’t bead anymore, reapply. It’s just keeping the board moisturized and adding a thin layer of protection.

Which one is best? Hell if I know. Lol. It’s probably like which car wax is best, maguires or mothers?

I like the Walrus Oil for it's fast absorption and ease of application. It has a mix of food safe oils and waxes. It doesn't try to polymerize like some others I have tried. I just add multiple coats until it stops soaking in.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

Because wood isn’t tactical… meanwhile this is what I was cruising through on Monday.
IMG_2692.jpeg
IMG_2695.jpeg

Built my fridge freezer platform to take the curse off the garage floor slope and set the appliances level….

image.jpg

God must care for fools and amateurs…..

I can’t fit a red CH between the freezer and soffit….

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: Average guy
Needs tung oil and rotten stone or GTFO.
Dude my neighbors had to listen to hours of the hand sander purring away.

I was so wishing I had bought a couple planes to match up edges.

Such a waste as the floor in there has more dead end divots than a tranny convention.

Sure enough the edge sat where the sewer must have been dug up and hand patched.

That base was looking sweet until the first appliance was hoisted up by myself and ripped out the edge and surface with all the sharp shit they make fridges and freezers out of.

Reactions: Average guy