• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Wood Shop

Pressure treating has changed over the years. Can't get the old good stuff anymore. CCA phased out in 2009.

Made a couple benches for my buddies range that I use all the time. This one is the Cadillac of them so far.

The lumber came from a 100 year old building we demo'd at work.
20240321_143638.jpg
20240321_143646.jpg

I think it turned out great and it should last. About 6 heavy coats of linseed oil before assembly.

Guys, I need some advice: I have a shed door made of untreated wood that I am reworking. The wood is still good. What treatment/coating is available to help preserve it? I don’t want to paint it if it can be avoided. Obviously the door is exposed to the elements.

Someone with more knowledge than me should chime in shortly, but I would go with straight spar urethane. It will be much more weather resistant. It is clear, and will let the wood show, but protect it. If someone can give better advice please chime in as I could learn something here too.

Spar varnish but..clean the wood with TSP first and make sure it's dry before you put the varnish on. If not, the dirt will prevent the varnish from sticking and you'll have areas that peel off.

Reactions: jrassy
@Slash0311 , even though I was giving you grief, I should have added that your work looks great, and that project will be pretty cool. I don’t have or do laser stuff, but I can see how handy it can be. I have knife projects in the near future and something like that could be useful.

Reactions: Slash0311
@Slash0311 , even though I was giving you grief, I should have added that your work looks great, and that project will be pretty cool. I don’t have or do laser stuff, but I can see how handy it can be. I have knife projects in the near future and something like that could be useful.

My CNC is a router. A laser is an add-on accessory.
15041.jpeg

20240107_142833.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
Thought some of the rest of you might appreciate this. He came up with his own mix of finish and wax. All made with stuff that would be consumable if you wanted to.

Finish 75%blo, 25% dewax blond shellac (2lb cut made with 99.9% ethanol or 95% everclear).
Wax 1 part carnauba, 1 part beeswax, 4 parts blo, 2 parts citrus oil/ citrus solvent. Measured by weight.