• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

I would also look at some of the US makers. I think council tool is still going strong and making good stuff. All things equal, though, I would bet on the Euro steel being higher quality.
Council Tool is still going strong and their tools are good quality - not up to Gransfors quality, but more than adequate to get the job done. I've been really impressed with their 3.5lb Jersey Axe, and it sharpens up/takes an edge well.

Gonna rehang my Craftsman maul on a piece of crappy Ace Hardware Hickory.....

image.jpg

Is it tarded I feel I must strip the crappy urethane finish off the Ace handle cause I want to oil it?

Last edited:
Gonna rehang my Craftsman maul on a piece of crappy Ace Hardware Hickory.....

View attachment 7733897

Is it traded I feel I must strip the crappy urethane finish of the Ace handle cause I want to oil it?
sand it good then oil it. the poly was put on there to preserve it during shipping and stocking.
i sand my shovel handles as well

What do they charge to take a tree down up there

It was a tough day close to $5K for the three trees and getting a big maple on the side of the house pruned back away from the house.

All climbing, no crane access, and as you can see they left the big wood behind at our request but also at a savings.

Its why I aint touching shit....they can move the stone walls to get the grinder in.

It was a tough day close to $5K for the three trees and getting a big maple on the side of the house pruned back away from the house.

All climbing, no crane access, and as you can see they left the big wood behind at our request but also at a savings.

Its why I aint touching shit....they can move the stone walls to get the grinder in.
Down here, that work would have been about 7500.
That's the best 5k you ever spent

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
Me and the help replaced the bar nose on the 372xp this evening. Dinky little limb splayed the old one out scattering the ball bearings.

If you split that all by hand, you’re a stud. Good for you for taking on the task. A lot there to do.

You mentioned stump grinder coming and I see a LOT of rock. In your neck of the woods, that’s hard carbide eating rock 😬. I hope the grinding is included in the $5K. I hate grinding 😡.

Every time I have to do a stump I really wish explosives were still sold at the hardware store.

A good guy who knows his stuff can Crack stumps out of the ground like clockwork with almost no damage.

If you split that all by hand, you’re a stud. Good for you for taking on the task. A lot there to do.

You mentioned stump grinder coming and I see a LOT of rock. In your neck of the woods, that’s hard carbide eating rock 😬. I hope the grinding is included in the $5K. I hate grinding 😡.

Gonna be a matter of just one log and one swing at a time.

Hope the weather holds out to give me time to clean up.

I know I dont have enough racking to stack it all. Gonna have to put some on the ground somewhere.

Hit my maul handle with my expensive rifle linseed oil. It sucked it in like a single drop of rain falling in the Sahara.

Ive got a rifle coming I need to save the good oil for....this stick is going to get my Home Depot tung oil.

Check out buckin billy ray on the you tube.
He has a ton of vids. Many of them he discusses his axes and their specific uses per head design.
The guy truly likes to split wood w an ax.
Broke his back two separate times as a logger in Canada.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Does anyone know how much white cedar trees are worth? I dropped two one with a 15.5 “ base and one with a 26” base diameter completely straight with no rot. Some guy offered 1200 for both Sight unseen. Sounds good to me, I didn’t think people would pay that much but I have no idea. I know there is some formula for board feet but I didn’t go through all that.
DB5AB80D-8FEB-4DB7-8305-117D0461613F.jpeg
DEBA33C7-CFA4-460E-BA5C-DC9BFFA043CE.jpeg
BCA97760-1014-46BF-A482-B703ADFF04FA.jpeg
A32A2233-A5B9-40EA-BA8F-666BF4910B08.jpeg

Reactions: 458win
Brenda Lea was hinting at an alternate heating source. My ears perked up, a new wood stove perhaps? Alas, she was talking space heater run by propane. Loved our wood stove that we used to heat our little hosue on the farm. Even more hilarious, whenever anyone accuses our son of white privilege, he immediately replies, that “Don’t tell me I have white privilege, I was raised in a shack and we had to depend on wood for our heat.”

What he leaves out that while the little house was only 1100 sq ft, it had good insulation, modern double pane windows, nice siding and was surrounded by a new rail fence. Azaleas surround the home and it was quite comfortable. It even had indoor plumbing. However, what he also fails to mention that the electric coop provided exceptionally expensive electricity. It cost us $300.00 in heating costs alone per month using our electric heat (hence the wood stove which paid for itself in three months)

Brenda Lea was hinting at an alternate heating source. My ears perked up, a new wood stove perhaps? Alas, she was talking space heater run by propane. Loved our wood stove that we used to heat our little hosue on the farm. Even more hilarious, whenever anyone accuses our son of white privilege, he immediately replies, that “Don’t tell me I have white privilege, I was raised in a shack and we had to depend on wood for our heat.”

What he leaves out that while the little house was only 1100 sq ft, it had good insulation, modern double pane windows, nice siding and was surrounded by a new rail fence. Azaleas surround the home and it was quite comfortable. It even had indoor plumbing. However, what he also fails to mention that the electric coop provided exceptionally expensive electricity. It cost us $300.00 in heating costs alone per month using our electric heat (hence the wood stove which paid for itself in three months)

Sounds like heaven.

Me and the help replaced the bar nose on the 372xp this evening. Dinky little limb splayed the old one out scattering the ball bearings.
Some of mine are replaceable but idk if I have even seen a vid of that done

Does anyone know how much white cedar trees are worth? I dropped two one with a 15.5 “ base and one with a 26” base diameter completely straight with no rot. Some guy offered 1200 for both Sight unseen. Sounds good to me, I didn’t think people would pay that much but I have no idea. I know there is some formula for board feet but I didn’t go through all that.View attachment 7734712View attachment 7734713View attachment 7734714View attachment 7734715
I’d take the money.

Well he came out today and looked at the trees he thought the smaller one was bigger but I dropped another dead cedar so he gave me 1200 for 3 white cedars, for some reason my cedars are dying Here in Oregon anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: Major Wader
Well he came out today and looked at the trees he thought the smaller one was bigger but I dropped another dead cedar so he gave me 1200 for 3 white cedars, for some reason my cedars are dying Here in Oregon anyone else have this problem?
if they are dieing, id be harvesting the rest and calling the dude who bought the last

Really need to buy my chainsaw soon. And a harness that fits me. Thinking of a Stihl 261 and a petzl sequoia

Neighbor decided to cut out some branches from a basically dead willow like tree. One branch that was half cut was resting on my roof. Got that off.

I decided to climb up and remove the branches with my folding pruning saw. Used an old rock climbing harness that barely fits and was prusik knotted to a rope. Definitely should've used my inhaler first. Cold aggravated exercise induced asthma. 4" or so in diameter with a 7" saw. Tree is just waiting to get cut down all the way.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Made some more headway.

8 foot rack is filled...

image.jpg

Starting to build in front of small rack.....

image.jpg

2/3 of one tree is split, that and two full trees left.....

image.jpg

Red oak is beautiful, Maple is like balsa wood....

image.jpg

Burning the ugly shit as I go.....

image.jpg

Two more hours on the Mississippi Pot Roast.....

image.jpg

Coffee will be served soon...

image.jpg

Not a bad Veterans Day.......

Made some more headway.

8 foot rack is filled...

View attachment 7738820

Starting to build in front of small rack.....

View attachment 7738819

2/3 of one tree is split, that and two full trees left.....

View attachment 7738821

Red oak is beautiful, Maple is like balsa wood....

View attachment 7738822

Burning the ugly shit as I go.....

View attachment 7738825

Two more hours on the Mississippi Pot Roast.....

View attachment 7738826

Coffee will be served soon...

View attachment 7738827

Not a bad Veterans Day.......
Good job, man.
That old saying, the man who splits his own wood heats himself not once, but twice. Is true, isn't it.

Guilty of Treeson has a new channel called Guilty of Treeson. Old one was taken over by the company he worked for since it was done on company time with company equipment. Company got a digital rights lawyer.

Ive been missing his videos and looked him up today.

Going on winter #6 in our house. Kiddo made some good money selling campfire wood over the summer. The older I get, the more I want a skidder with a grapple
View attachment 7742325View attachment 7742389View attachment 7742392
Skid steer chews everything up too much and gets dirt on your logs and ducks w your chain.
A grapple on that kabota would be great tho, you will love it. I worked a couple seasons w a smaller tractor w grapple and was a dream.
I'm taking a break right now, I have two saws going on the log pile

Anybody have any good tricks for distributing wood stove heat throughout the house? There is a 20+ degree difference between the living/kitchen and the bedrooms. I like sleeping in a cold bedroom, but got some roomates who aren't so warm blooded. They probably need to chop more firewood ;)

IMG_5760.jpg

Anybody have any good tricks for distributing wood stove heat throughout the house? There is a 20+ degree difference between the living/kitchen and the bedrooms. I like sleeping in a cold bedroom, but got some roomates who aren't so warm blooded. They probably need to chop more firewood ;)

View attachment 7742858
Put a return air grill in the ceiling at highest point in room were the woodstove is, duct out of that with a inline fan (8" min.) and a thermostat and pump that heat wherever you want. I pump mine into the master bath with a timer. 6:am the fan comes on, 6:30 I get up and shower and its nice and toasty.

Put a return air grill in the ceiling at highest point in room were the woodstove is, duct out of that with a inline fan (8" min.) and a thermostat and pump that heat wherever you want. I pump mine into the master bath with a timer. 6:am the fan comes on, 6:30 I get up and shower and its nice and toasty.
Great idea w the timer