• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

I recommend this shit...

image.jpg

I consider it "tool grade" as opposed to firearms grade.

image.jpg

I pour a few ounces in a cup and use a sponge brush to slosh it all over wheelbarrow handles, shovel handles, the wood cutting tools.

Firearms get other oils.

I learned something today. Always make your back cut, no matter how far or hard the tree leans.

We had a pine that was damaged in the hurricane of 2020 and then further damaged by the ice storm that followed the snow storm of February 2021. Well it died. And I though it prudent to drop the tree before it fell on someone or something.

With a hard lean, I felt a back cut just was not necessary. Further, I though the saw might bind in a back cut. And to complicate things, the tree was about as large as my 16” Stihl could cut. So, I cut away.

The tree broke abut ten feet up, fell on what was left of the crown, and then as it did not fall level, it basically jumped back at me. If I had been stupid and stood by the tree to watch it fall, your’s truly would have a new address, the Louisiana Veteran’s Cemetary in Rayville, Louisiana.

But, again being prudent, I stood back several feet and still the end of the log fell within a couple feet of me. (Jumping back about 4 feet). Lots of fun. First time in my long life, I nearly had an accident dropping a tree.

Looking at the middle of the stand of trees, you can see the large shard that caused the tree to fall crown first.

View attachment 7835306

I did the electrical design on that cemetery back in 2014. Glad you didn't get to see my work early.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Reactions: Two36
I have a dead oak that fell and got caught up in another tree.

The oak is about 60ft long and is caught in the other tree about 45 to 50ft up.

The oak is at about a 70 degree angle leaning in the other tree.

Can't get a tractor in there and I'm old so I'm not sure climbing is a solution for me.

Any advice?

I have a dead oak that fell and got caught up in another tree.

The oak is about 60ft long and is caught in the other tree about 45 to 50ft up.

The oak is at about a 70 degree angle leaning in the other tree.

Can't get a tractor in there and I'm old so I'm not sure climbing is a solution for me.

Any advice?

I use a rope and come-along for those situations.

I use a rope and come-along for those situations.

Was sort of thinking that. Any suggestions on how heavy a come-along? I was thinking the oak is likely 40 to 50lbs per foot on average, which puts it at about 3000 lbs, but of course don't need to actually lift it. It's long but not very big in diameter.There are some much larger trees decently close to it but not behind it where it would fall, the fall area is all cleaned out. So perhaps could rig up a pulley using a big tree as the anchor.

Come Alongs are cheap, I would go with at least a 2-ton. That's what I have been using for years. The key is finding one that's not Made in China.

Also, I've never had the cable fail on one, but often have had ropes snap on me. I started off using old 11mm climbing ropes, and they weren't as strong as one would think. I now use nylon ropes taken out of service by the Electric Line Crews I used to work with. Another option is get yourself some poly wench line. That stuff is strong as hell, more abrasion resistant, and if they do break, they just fall instead of recoil. Just don't store them, or any rope in the sun.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSalty2
Got a call to see if I’d remove some live oak logs. Most are 36” diameter.

Went and looked at them in person and declined. Been down too long, and end checking was too deep.

Kind of sad because most of those logs are 6’ and there is a 12 footer in there, and all reasonably straight.

33AA6CC6-394E-4263-B63B-590BE2564F71.jpeg

Come Alongs are cheap, I would go with at least a 2-ton. That's what I have been using for years. The key is finding one that's not Made in China.

Also, I've never had the cable fail on one, but often have had ropes snap on me. I started off using old 11mm climbing ropes, and they weren't as strong as one would think. I now use nylon ropes taken out of service by the Electric Line Crews I used to work with. Another option is get yourself some poly wench line. That stuff is strong as hell, more abrasion resistant, and if they do break, they just fall instead of recoil. Just don't store them, or any rope in the sun.
Thanks bro.

Got a call to see if I’d remove some live oak logs. Most are 36” diameter.

Went and looked at them in person and declined. Been down too long, and end checking was too deep.

Kind of sad because most of those logs are 6’ and there is a 12 footer in there, and all reasonably straight.

View attachment 7842055

That looks more like a burn pile.
Too bad they waited so long.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it is a sad day around my house.

My old girl (I've had her about 22 years now), has of late started a drinking problem. It could be in part to the amount of use she gets. I lay the wood to her all the time. She has handled it very well and never complained despite the amount of time I used her.

In looking back, I should have seen the signs. The more wood I gave her, the more she would drink. Sometimes when finished with her, she would leak just a bit, but never much.

Not sure just what to do with her, she would let me rebuild her, but don't know if that is best. I don't know if I would feel bad replacing her with a newer / younger model. If I replace her, should I keep her around to watch the new model.

What's a guy to do?

1649076147515.png

My old girl (I've had her about 22 years now), has of late started a drinking problem. It could be in part to the amount of use she gets. I lay the wood to her all the time. She has handled it very well and never complained despite the amount of time I used her.

In looking back, I should have seen the signs. The more wood I gave her, the more she would drink. Sometimes when finished with her, she would leak just a bit, but never much.

Not sure just what to do with her, she would let me rebuild her, but don't know if that is best. I don't know if I would feel bad replacing her with a newer / younger model. If I replace her, should I keep her around to watch the new model.

What's a guy to do?

View attachment 7842546
Cylinder seals themselves leaking or hoses? We've got a runnings fleet farm special that we've had for 20 years on the farm and with minimal maintenance it's worked great. I did have to replace a hose awhile back and redo the fuel lines.
I say rebuild it.

Used the chainsaw to finish taking down the neighbors tree. Brushed it out a few months ago before all the snow flew.
20220405_194904.jpg

20220405_194024.jpg
20220405_194053.jpg

I know it's not pretty. Most of the first pile is the wet bigger stuff for my FIL. He is running out of wood to play with on the lathe. They just bought a house in Jerome Idaho and will be leaving Richland WA. FIL is from Pocatello and MIL is from Malad.

Second pile is the dead dry stuff for fire pit stuff.

Was sort of thinking that. Any suggestions on how heavy a come-along? I was thinking the oak is likely 40 to 50lbs per foot on average, which puts it at about 3000 lbs, but of course don't need to actually lift it. It's long but not very big in diameter.There are some much larger trees decently close to it but not behind it where it would fall, the fall area is all cleaned out. So perhaps could rig up a pulley using a big tree as the anchor.
Wyeth scott power puller — cast iron, usa made

buy the handle extension too and use coupon code cashback for $50 off with free shipping

total should be $350ish

I’ve done exactly what you are suggesting with mine

What's a guy to do?

View attachment 7842546
If it's the gas engine, Harbor Freight has the predator model (actually not a bad engine) for under $200.
If it's the hydraulic pump, amazon has them for about $100.
If it's hoses the local auto parts places usually make them (not the chain stores but the mom and pop stores).
If it's the hydraulic ram it's probably 20-40 for seals....get busy.

Reactions: camocorvette
If it's the gas engine, Harbor Freight has the predator model (actually not a bad engine) for under $200.
If it's the hydraulic pump, amazon has them for about $100.
If it's hoses the local auto parts places usually make them (not the chain stores but the mom and pop stores).
If it's the hydraulic ram it's probably 20-40 for seals....get busy.
Thanks for the reply. It is the engine.

What is sadder yet, is the fact I'm several years older than my old girl and I'm thinking of replacing her with a model that I can just roll blocks onto and it will do the heavy lifting. I have heard there are girls that will do the work for their men,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I may just have to find out.

I might just give the old girl to some young stud that would enjoy her.

Split today, but I had to find an alternative place to stack. This is in the lower portion of the barn as the upper bays are still pretty full. Good problem to have. White Oak and Shagbark. Rough estimate is probably a solid cord. Once finished, probably 1.5 cord. Still plenty to do. In the second pic, those 20”-24” rounds of Shagbark will go 100-130 lbs.
03717E5D-8392-4843-864F-9EFD2FD0AF0C.jpeg
526AB032-4518-4B76-A5C9-9ACFEB6D3C7D.jpeg

@sirhrmechanic The weathered wood should have been removed and placed on top of the stack.
I know but I’m lazy that way. And by the end of the summer on my drying rack it’ll all be nice and weathered.

I think I mentioned I hate stacking firewood. Do you have any idea how much I hate stacking it twice?

I absolutely despise stacking wood. But I kinda like it when it’s all stacked. That’s next winter’s heat.View attachment 7867885
That’s a nice stack in a proper drying wood shed. For the record, I absolutely hate stacking. I just can’t make myself make a pile as it comes off the rail. I’m holding out for the day when my fragile ego and give a shit meter hits zero, then, pile it is.

I learned something today. Always make your back cut, no matter how far or hard the tree leans.

We had a pine that was damaged in the hurricane of 2020 and then further damaged by the ice storm that followed the snow storm of February 2021. Well it died. And I though it prudent to drop the tree before it fell on someone or something.

With a hard lean, I felt a back cut just was not necessary. Further, I though the saw might bind in a back cut. And to complicate things, the tree was about as large as my 16” Stihl could cut. So, I cut away.

The tree broke abut ten feet up, fell on what was left of the crown, and then as it did not fall level, it basically jumped back at me. If I had been stupid and stood by the tree to watch it fall, your’s truly would have a new address, the Louisiana Veteran’s Cemetary in Rayville, Louisiana.

But, again being prudent, I stood back several feet and still the end of the log fell within a couple feet of me. (Jumping back about 4 feet). Lots of fun. First time in my long life, I nearly had an accident dropping a tree.

Looking at the middle of the stand of trees, you can see the large shard that caused the tree to fall crown first.

View attachment 7835306
very beautiful scenery .

20220531_112517.jpg
Have been on a two year hiatus from woodcutting, due to a couple serious injuries. Fortunately I keep a good reserve. I made my 3rd trip for the month/ season today to check on a dead Douglas-fir patch i found a couple years ago. Fortunately no one had found my honey hole... when i initially found it there were 14 dead trees . There's a little rot on the outside but it will heat the house nicely. We burn 6-9 cords/year, have a large wood stove in the basement going 24/7 when it gets cold. Broke the handle on the 044 with a runaway block on the last trip, but the 440 and 036 worked well today. <Has anyone used the aftermarket fuel tank/handle assemblies on their Stihl saws? The old 77 F-150 <300 6cyl engine>
20220531_161407.jpg
has probably hauled over 200 cords of wood since i bought it used... gettin wore out and short in tooth like its owner.🤣
20220531_112538.jpg
20220531_112456.jpg
20220531_112426.jpg
Resized_20220531_111923.jpeg
20220529_170554.jpg
20220531_130624.jpg

Last edited:
Neighbor is going to thin out some trees in the pasture next door to my place. Told me if there was anything I wanted to cut to have at it. Mostly elms but there's a few nice ash in there and that's what I went after. Knocked three of them over Sunday morning.
20220619_092448.jpg
20220619_092507.jpg

Scrubby sucker here.
20220619_095730.jpg
20220619_095741.jpg
20220619_095753.jpg
20220619_095800.jpg

Made a couple mistakes here. I'm not much of a faller. Most of the wood I've cut in my time is usually already on the ground.

I started with the heavy leaner but I split it off it's sibling first. First mistake. Then I got greedy with my face cut and it started to sit down on me. Second mistake. Fortunately the saw pulled free pretty easy and I bored through and let the weight take it where it wanted to go.

Second one went off without a hitch.

This is what happens when your three year old get a hold of your phone. There was many many more pictures lol
20220619_100222.jpg

20220619_100325.jpg
20220619_100444_06.jpg
20220619_101031_01.jpg
20220619_101046_04.jpg

The kid may have a future in photography. 😂

Edit to add, tree killer of choice for the day was an ms462c.

Well I've gotten this years accumulation stacked... and hope to get out and get a few more loads. I have been grinding on a POS Husky 8lb maul this pm to try to get it to work, since I broke the small oval handle for the second time this year on my favorite maul.
I also dropped the 044 off at the shop for repairs. Its about 90 outside, and you can hear the tik tik of the wood curing/cracking in the stack.

20220622_143510.jpg

I am NOT a firewood hoarder, I
am an opportunistic MF'er !
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: tnichols
Neighbor is going to thin out some trees in the pasture next door to my place. Told me if there was anything I wanted to cut to have at it. Mostly elms but there's a few nice ash in there and that's what I went after. Knocked three of them over Sunday morning. View attachment 7896206View attachment 7896207
Scrubby sucker here. View attachment 7896208View attachment 7896210View attachment 7896211View attachment 7896212
Made a couple mistakes here. I'm not much of a faller. Most of the wood I've cut in my time is usually already on the ground.

I started with the heavy leaner but I split it off it's sibling first. First mistake. Then I got greedy with my face cut and it started to sit down on me. Second mistake. Fortunately the saw pulled free pretty easy and I bored through and let the weight take it where it wanted to go.

Second one went off without a hitch.

This is what happens when your three year old get a hold of your phone. There was many many more pictures lol
View attachment 7896220
View attachment 7896221View attachment 7896222View attachment 7896223View attachment 7896224

The kid may have a future in photography. 😂

Edit to add, tree killer of choice for the day was an ms462c.

Trim that poor dog's dew claw.

Trim that poor dog's dew claw.
I usually stay after it pretty close but admittedly it's over due for a trim. She must have hung it in something to irritate it like that. I tried to clip it when I noticed it nut she wasn't having any of it. It's completely gone now.

I usually stay after it pretty close but admittedly it's over due for a trim. She must have hung it in something to irritate it like that. I tried to clip it when I noticed it nut she wasn't having any of it. It's completely gone now.
They grow so stinking fast on our dog, its a ongoing thing. I hold the peanut butter, she does the trimming.

Not sure why I have not seen this thread until now, but it has been a busy tree year. All the ash are dead, so any that are not on the ground are soon to be. Below is what has been done since January that I have stopped to take pictures of, and the bigger trees are more likely to get air time.
PXL_20220129_154230741.jpg
PXL_20220219_223820989.jpg
PXL_20220219_180229183_122719.jpg
PXL_20220520_232845846.jpg
PXL_20220528_153358299.jpg
PXL_20220708_005702849.jpg

Not sure why I have not seen this thread until now, but it has been a busy tree year. All the ash are dead, so any that are not on the ground are soon to be. Below is what has been done since January that I have stopped to take pictures of, and the bigger trees are more likely to get air time. View attachment 7907626View attachment 7907627View attachment 7907629View attachment 7907630View attachment 7907631View attachment 7907632
That is one big ass stump,you could take a slice off it and it would be a table !!

Reactions: Ravenworks