• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Our last Ash succumbed to EAB (after plugging twice) this spring. So much for the late afternoon shade it provided to the house and deck 😔.
F0077024-3583-42B9-8993-4E825CAEC8E1.jpeg
7416E111-1822-4954-B508-430530B6D3B5.jpeg
49D57CCE-119C-4D7F-A437-1E42A6322146.jpeg

Came up with this, needs cleaned up / sharpened.

Has a quality look to it and will be the grandsons prize possesion.

Any guesses as to brand ?
Not a single mark found.

20220726_111216.jpg

Buddy bought old restaurant/bar/campground and needed some signage. He still had his grandfather's truck and had some trees to drop. So out came the chainsaw, Alaskan mill, skilsaw and a screw gun. Flatbeded the truck then framed in the sign. I think it turned out pretty cool.
65243.jpeg
65242.jpeg
65241.jpeg

Looks like a 362 ?

Man I want a 261 so bad but I'm already knee deep in chainsaws. Almost as many saws as rifles.

The 261 is a great saw. Mine is now 4 years old and has cut a fair amount of firewood. Handy for smaller work. I’ll let @oneshot86 provide the correct answer.

Reactions: oneshot86
Looks like a 362 ?

Man I want a 261 so bad but I'm already knee deep in chainsaws. Almost as many saws as rifles.
261, this is my second 261. We process firewood commercially, and the saws run alot. This saw will work like a bastard.
I love the 261 w a 20 inch bar to keep from having to bend over as much, otherwise our other log saw is the 461.
I had been running a 33 inch bar, which I like, but is a little too long when working close to the ground. Last season I put a 36 on it, I don't like it for what we do, too long.
I'm going to follow Dewey's lead and put a 28 inch bar on it.
I'm looking at a lite bar from sthil or maybe the sugahara by the end of the week.

261, this is my second 261. We process firewood commercially, and the saws run alot. This saw will work like a bastard.
I love the 261 w a 20 inch bar to keep from having to bend over as much, otherwise our other log saw is the 461.
I had been running a 33 inch bar, which I like, but is a little too long when working close to the ground. Last season I put a 36 on it, I don't like it for what we do, too long.
I'm going to follow Dewey's lead and put a 28 inch bar on it.
I'm looking at a lite bar from sthil or maybe the sugahara by the end of the week.
I run a 28 tsumura on my 462 and I like it. Mainly use it like you say, to keep from bending over.

If I had to do it again I'd have bought the stihl lite bar. They're the lightest one going right now. I wish oregon hadn't dropped their lite bars.

My first chainsaw is a 261.

Got a Petzl sequoia srt harness recently and the notch roperunner pro. Going to be getting my dad's tree climbing gear this Christmas. Getting his spikes and non destructive climbing gear.

A new guy, 21, going through welding school, started with us and yesterday was supposed to be his first day on the saw but he wore shorts and tennis shoes that looked like damn ballerina slippers.
Sorry Charlie, I can't let a guy run a saw like that, he isn't going to sweat like a pig bare skin on the saw chaps. Fuck that.

We'll see how he dresses today.
He can make 8 dollars more an hour running the saw if he dresses correctly

A new guy, 21, going through welding school, started with us and yesterday was supposed to be his first day on the saw but he wore shorts and tennis shoes that looked like damn ballerina slippers.
Sorry Charlie, I can't let a guy run a saw like that, he isn't going to sweat like a pig bare skin on the saw chaps. Fuck that.

I’ve tried to hire laborers in the past mostly just to haul debris to the dumpster and as an extra set of hands on site. The amount of people that showed up in converse/vans or Nike basketball shoes was insane… people just don’t understand what it’s like to work anymore

I mean, I have ran a chainsaw in shorts and chacos before……

But prefer pants, leather boots, and appropriate safety gear.

I also was sawing a lot at the time and just needed 2 cuts made on a 6” log

I make everyone I hire to run the saw wear safety chaps these days and I will not let someone sweat like a pig in them bare skinned, fuck that.
I tell them, Grow up and wear real cloths like a man.
It could be 10 years since I have worn a pair of shorts. Jeans and good boots, the heat don't bother me

I don't loan the guys rain coats either, fuck you getting all sweaty in my shit, it's like wearing each other's underwear for fucks sake, not happening. Get a rain coat or get cold, I don't give a fuck

6 inches qualifies as a log ? Interesting.

6” is YUGE!!!
It was diameter, not length.

When ya got it stuck in rocks on a river impeding river travel, and ya gotta stand in the water to cut it (water at 8000’ in CO is not warm), its a log.

I get it.
I used to cut and stack several cords a year heating primarily with wood.
6” is small, but hand splitting, much over 12” diameter becomes a pain.
I was a fit sucker back then doing all that. 🤣

As we would say, he didn’t show up to “work”.

The lite bar and chain should be dropped off Monday, I'm interested in the difference in the weight between the 36 and chain to the 28 lite and chain.

The lite bar and chain should be dropped off Monday, I'm interested in the difference in the weight between the 36 and chain to the 28 lite and chain.

Stihl lite ? My 28" tsumura weighs the same as a regular 20" stihl es. The stihl es lite is supposed to be a few ounces less. The tsumura runs one more driver than the stihl though.

Any love for the Dolmar, now branded as Makita, saws out there? I have been running a 6401 w/28” bar(skip tooth chisel chain) for quite a few years now and really enjoy it. Roughly equivalent to a MS362 but probably a bit heavier. Contemplating swapping out th top end for an OEM 79cc to give it some more pull when fully engaged. Mostly cutting fir and the softer hardwoods here in the PNW.

A good book for just about any cutting enthusiast C014053C-AB11-46E3-826A-91C1440CD5C6.jpeg
But apparently not in print anymore based on the hardcover price!

Safe cutting everyone!

0E78A998-E87F-4045-BECA-FB5B20B5D42B.jpeg

Any love for the Dolmar, now branded as Makita, saws out there? I have been running a 6401 w/28” bar(skip tooth chisel chain) for quite a few years now and really enjoy it. Roughly equivalent to a MS362 but probably a bit heavier. Contemplating swapping out th top end for an OEM 79cc to give it some more pull when fully engaged. Mostly cutting fir and the softer hardwoods here in the PNW.

A good book for just about any cutting enthusiast View attachment 7937291
But apparently not in print anymore based on the hardcover price!

Safe cutting everyone!

View attachment 7937298
I wouldn’t know where to start to find a dealer for them here. I run Stihl only because of local dealer support. They actually call me every so often to see how their/my stuff is running. And, I’m a nobody in the tree business.

I wouldn’t know where to start to find a dealer for them here. I run Stihl only because of local dealer support. They actually call me every so often to see how their/my stuff is running. And, I’m a nobody in the tree business.

Sounds like you have a dealer that exhibits outstanding customer service, truly a rare commodity these days.

Picked up the Mikita from a private seller for a very reasonable price when I needed a bigger saw for a project. It has never needed any work to date thankfully, just keeps running.

Climbing and tree removal has been a bit of a hobby for me. It is amazing how many friends you didn’t know you have contact you when they find out that you have valuable services that they could use.

Next project I have lined up is a removal of a 120’ fir from a coworkers property in exchange for a Fort Knox safe. Based on quotes he received I think we are both going to be happy with the barter.

All of my other mixed fuel yard equipment is Stihl and if I decide that I need another saw it will most likely be Stihl as well. Used a 462 not long ago and was pretty giddy with its performance.

Reactions: tnichols
Nothing to brag about here on the homestead..... Free trash wood that will convert to BTU's during the next Montana winter.
Firewood (split, delivered) is around $400 cord in August. I'm sure it will go up after the first cold snap.

View attachment 7938108

View attachment 7938109
Man $400 a cord for junk wood! At the peak of my firewood selling I was $350 for a premium hardwood mix of oak, hickory, locust and Osage orange sprinkled in. Regular hardwood mix was oak, ash, and maple for $290. It was about a 50/50 split and I typically made $35-40 to deliver.

Sometimes I miss slingin’ wood all over town 🤣

I have a stupid new guy chainsaw question - when I'm cutting, I seem to be making curved cuts. If the cut was vertically downwards, it looks like a c from the side. Then the saw struggles because (I assume) side loading on the bar.

It's an old-ish husky 141, with a newish chain. No idea on bar age, I assume pretty old.

Can someone help me understand what I'm doing wrong or how to get back to blasting through firewood please?

I have a stupid new guy chainsaw question - when I'm cutting, I seem to be making curved cuts. If the cut was vertically downwards, it looks like a c from the side. Then the saw struggles because (I assume) side loading on the bar.

It's an old-ish husky 141, with a newish chain. No idea on bar age, I assume pretty old.

Can someone help me understand what I'm doing wrong or how to get back to blasting through firewood please?

Most likely improperly sharpened chain. Check for consistent angles and tooth length on both sides of your chain. Pick up a new chain and give it a go while you are having the used one professionally sharpened. It never hurts to have extra chains, especially when cutting remotely and/or in very dirty conditions.

If a new chain doesn’t correct the situation then look to your bar for excess wear or pinched or folded channel. Flip your bar over and see if the cuts improve. Flipping your bar periodically is good practice anyway to avoid uneven wear and tear.

Crescent moon 🌙 cuts I call those. The bar is worn where one side of the rail is higher than the other. Several ways to true one up or at least make it better. File, belt sander, etc... is what I’ve heard. Or, just put a new bar on and flip it periodically and it will typically stay pretty even.

I'll list a few things that I have found on saws that "run out" one way or the other.
In no special order:

Groove in bar is worn. Try flipping the bar over
Chain is not properly sharpened. Take the chain to a local chainsaw shop and have it professionally sharpened
How are you holding the saw ? Think of looking through the saope of your rifle with the weapon "canted" to one side or the other. If you start crooked it will run crooked. Pay attention to how you start the cut.
Lubrication on chain. Check the hole in the bar and make sure both sides are getting equal oil.

Go kick around here for some more professional info: