• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Most likely improperly sharpened chain. Check for consistent angles and tooth length on both sides of your chain. Pick up a new chain and give it a go while you are having the used one professionally sharpened. It never hurts to have extra chains, especially when cutting remotely and/or in very dirty conditions.

If a new chain doesn’t correct the situation then look to your bar for excess wear or pinched or folded channel. Flip your bar over and see if the cuts improve. Flipping your bar periodically is good practice anyway to avoid uneven wear and tear.
This ^^^ We answered about the same exact time

Reactions: Doing my part
Yeah, I'm attempting to get in front of this. I have two giant Ash trees which can be dropped and a couple of elm in various degrees of vertical which need parting up.

Neither of my little garden saws is powerful enough for the big jobs so this week I'm looking into trading up.

Yeah, I'm attempting to get in front of this. I have two giant Ash trees which can be dropped and a couple of elm in various degrees of vertical which need parting up.

Neither of my little garden saws is powerful enough for the big jobs so this week I'm looking into trading up.
That's about all we can do........ Stay ahead of the curve. The difficult part is identifying the curve.

That's about all we can do........ Stay ahead of the curve. The difficult part is identifying the

How big are the Ash trees? Do you have experience felling? Things to consider before trading up.

They're both around 18" main trunk and 40' or so tall.

I will not be felling them but will be parting up the remains.

The elms I have are about the same size, and mostly on the ground already. I was amazed at the weight of the wood!

Currently looking at a stihl ms260, which looks like it will do what I need.

Edit - spinal tap feet/inches confusion.

Last edited:
20220828_172500.jpg

Had worse days! Realised afterwards that I forgot to cut to lengths suitable for my burner, I'll get it next time!

Currently looking at a stihl ms260, which looks like it will do what I need.
The 026 and 260 are great saws if you plan on a 16" or less bar. These were my favorite for a long time, woods ported with a 044 carb and green weenie filter.

The 261 is a much better choice, more power, better vibration and air filter systems. The 2nd gen 261 is about perfect for a 50cc saw. I have a 1st gen for sale if interested.

The 026 and 260 are great saws if you plan on a 16" or less bar. These were my favorite for a long time, woods ported with a 044 carb and green weenie filter.

The 261 is a much better choice, more power, better vibration and air filter systems. The 2nd gen 261 is about perfect for a 50cc saw. I have a 1st gen for sale if interested.
Thanks for the heads up but I'm in the UK (I know, I know, sorry...) so probably not feasible.

Really appreciating the extra power over my older saws. Already wondering how much more fun a bigger motor would be!

I just sent a 044 to Germany, it's possible just some extra forms and shipping costs involved. I know Buxton and Mastermind sends them across the pond.

If you could find a UK saw forum(like this site for guns but for chainsaws), might be some local guys that do woods porting. I've seen some post on opeforum.com You will not want to run a stock saw afterwards though.😁

New addition, my first ported 261 and a gen 2. I really like my muff modded gen 1 so this one should rip. Just got the WCS spikes on also.
View attachment 7943944
View attachment 7943946
How do you like the new 261? I have been looking at getting one with a 16" bar to replace my old 024. Was originally looking at the 250 but I think I would like to get a commercial grade, as it is overall better built and more power compared to the 250.

How do you like the new 261? I have been looking at getting one with a 16" bar to replace my old 024. Was originally looking at the 250 but I think I would like to get a commercial grade, as it is overall better built and more power compared to the 250.
The 261 (4.0bhp @ 10.8lbs) has power between the 291 (3.76bhp @ 12.3lbs) and 311 (4.2bhp @ 13.67lbs) at the weight of the 251 (3.0bhp @ 10.8lbs). Numbers are as stock posted by Stihl.

I bought my 261 based on recommendations from others here.

They are a very smooth saw vs the 024/026 series. Air filtration is much better. Power is impressive for a 50cc saw, I keep a 20" es light on mine for limbing. I haven't ran the husky 550xp yet but for now I believe it and the 261 are top tier.

The older 346xp saws ruled the roost for a long time, if you could find one of those in good shape, jump on it.

You guys were the final decision for me. My new saw. This is my first brand new saw, and first time with a commercial model. This will replace my old 024 AV my dad bought new back in 1992. Went with the 16" bar, as my other saw has a 25" for the bigger stuff. But I will probably use this one 70% of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 53
You guys were the final decision for me. My new saw. This is my first brand new saw, and first time with a commercial model. This will replace my old 024 AV my dad bought new back in 1992. Went with the 16" bar, as my other saw has a 25" for the bigger stuff. But I will probably use this one 70% of the time.
Congrats!

Getting there. All hand split, I enjoy it still. I'll have the rounds done and stacked on Saturday.
20220908_084822.jpg

We burn about 10 cubes (about 2 3/4 chords) a year, this is all gum. I'll cut some pine and maybe a little Manuka later.

Edit. The pine in the background is the neighbours... I'm waiting for it to fall over and block his driveway. There are years of firewood in that bastard.

Last edited:
A mechanical question for this group.... Do you run aftermarket parts on your saws and equipment? Things like carbs, mags and those parts. Not necessarily bars and chains. Who's bar oil are you running ?
In years past, I was about 50 / 50 on Stihl brand parts and aftermarket parts. This season I am having more part failures. My saws do have some age but they are well maintained.
Put an aftermarket carb on an 028 and it just gives it too much fuel. HI and LOW idle were adjusted. It will run wide open but when letting off on the throttle it will lug down and die. Plug is full of fuel. Change to a new plug and it runs until allowed to idle.
Photo of my 440 that ate the recoil starter this morning.
Getting gun shy of aftermarket stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_7247.JPG
    IMG_7247.JPG
    540.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7246.JPG
    IMG_7246.JPG
    556 KB · Views: 45
A mechanical question for this group.... Do you run aftermarket parts on your saws and equipment? Things like carbs, mags and those parts. Not necessarily bars and chains. Who's bar oil are you running ?
In years past, I was about 50 / 50 on Stihl brand parts and aftermarket parts. This season I am having more part failures. My saws do have some age but they are well maintained.
Put an aftermarket carb on an 028 and it just gives it too much fuel. HI and LOW idle were adjusted. It will run wide open but when letting off on the throttle it will lug down and die. Plug is full of fuel. Change to a new plug and it runs until allowed to idle.
I have had some good luck with Ebay carbs and other parts. Not sure I would trust engine parts but 🤷🏼‍♂️

I have a MS250 that is a great saw to keep on my ATV but it has gotten to be aggravating recently. I cleaned the carb and it did great for a few months but is acting up again. I plan to put a carb on it from the same folks I bought from for my FS55R trimmer. It has been perfect.

My MS440 has a couple of small parts from Ebay on it. No issues.

I have a Husky 359 with a Chinese “open” muffler.

I have had some good luck with Ebay carbs and other parts. Not sure I would trust engine parts but 🤷🏼‍♂️

I have a MS250 that is a great saw to keep on my ATV but it has gotten to be aggravating recently. I cleaned the carb and it did great for a few months but is acting up again. I plan to put a carb on it from the same folks I bought from for my FS55R trimmer. It has been perfect.

My MS440 has a couple of small parts from Ebay on it. No issues.

I have a Husky 359 with a Chinese “open” muffler.
Understood....
I have a 028, 029 and a 440..... Got them as as "parts machines" without a bar or chain over the past 5 years. At times they don't run for a year but this year I got some junk wood and been cutting it into some large rounds. Been tough cutting with knots, branch limb stubs and things other people passed on. Honestly, I am not complaining about any saw... Just some of the parts I got. Got a used 029, Stihl brand coil off of Ebay. Fired for one pull and then quit. The seller is sending me another coil. Got a cheap carb for the 028 off Ebay and it dumps too much fuel and fowls the plug... It's not just saw parts, it is all mechanical parts... Brand name stuff is expensive but getting ready to just bite the bullet and get it to eliminate some of the shop time on saws... But again, IDK... That's why I was asking.

Reactions: Lawless
Still going! I need to get better at estimating log lengths before I cut. All the sections are about 1.5x the length I want/need and this elm is a bastard to split.

Attachments

• 20220910_190153.jpg
    20220910_190153.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 59
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Still going! I need to get better at estimating log lengths before I cut. All the sections are about 1.5x the length I want/need and this elm is a bastard to split.
Measure and mark before you cut. Big Dewalt crayon and a stick at length you want does the trick.

Reactions: tnichols
If you cut those in half would they be twice as easy to split?

If it were oak 6 inch rounds would be good for the offset smoker.

I use a tape and upside-down marking paint nowadays. Mine needs to be 16" and most carpenter's tapes are marked every 16" with red numbers.

Reactions: Two36
If you cut those in half would they be twice as easy to split?

If it were oak 6 inch rounds would be good for the offset smoker.
Yeah exactly, the shorter circles bust open pretty easily. This elm is kind of stringy though, it doesn't cleave as nicely as maple or oak. Except for the Dutch elm and dry rot sections which fly apart.

I deliberately cut the fallen tree to double lengths though because I had to carry it by hand a hundred yards and I wanted to make fewer trips. Now I'm thinking about erring on the side of short rounds, just to be able to get the rest split and put away.

I just today put a STENS labeled carburetor on my Husqvarna 365. Very little adjustment and it runs like new again. It had a Zama chinese made carb on it to begin with, and this Stens carb was designed to directly replace the Zama. 40 bucks on ebay. I keep thinking this Husky is going to give up and give me a reason to spend big bucks on a new Stihl 362, but it just keeps going and going.
I also use Oregon bars and chains with good success.

I'm using an off ticket cylinder and piston on my Husky, and it seems fine -it isn't being used as much now I've bought a Shindaiwa for the heavy stuff, but it got an absolute thrashing until then.