• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

No pictures of the process, but 3/4 of a short bed worth of ash.

No where I’d rather be than outside on a 55° day

17351367-140A-4C7F-B96F-AA22974D738B.jpeg

Here near the SW Oregon coast we have had a lot of rain and now strong winds. Neighbor had a tree go down overnight, probably about 30 inches in diameter at the base. Will be summer before another neighbor and I can work on it as this yard has water flowing through it all winter.
While the wind and the rain are nasty, it was 60 degrees yesterday and is 51 this morning.

View attachment 8031344
Tree wasn't as big as I thought. Closer to 24 inches on the stump. Anyway, we have had some dry weather so was able to get it cut up and a brush pile built. Neighbor with a skid steer that has a grapple bucket will haul the brush to his burn pile. I am working on getting the blocks hauled home. It is a Shore Pine aka Lodgepole Pine and a PIA to split. Oh well, guess I need a good workout.
PXL_20230329_183105022.MP.jpg

Out in Western MD prepping firewood for next year and came across this wood grain I've not seen before. Cut it down fresh clearing a section for my wife to plant flowers. Beautiful wood grain but smells kind of like pickles. Internet says Bocote smells like pickles but from what I read it's Central America native. Any ideas what this might be?

96DF74D1-ECD1-4C0F-B2A4-FAA1C2C2023B.jpeg

No idea what it might be but I wouldn’t be splitting it into firewood until i found out! If it’s hard might make some really nice knife handles and pistol grips.

Limb walking is scary. Non destructive climbing my oak in the back yard. Most cutting was with my silky sugoi.

Went up to cut this that was broken, hanging, and rubbing on another branch. 261's are great.
20230408_124509.jpg

It was all the way up here.
20230408_124230.jpg

Wife took these up the tree.
IMG-20230408-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230408-WA0001.jpg

I had the rope runner pro tied into the central point. Should've been tied into the bridge. Climbed up using the branches while tied in with my flipline set up for double ended use.

Shorts and uglies always went into wood pallets with sides I built. They’re good for 3-4 years outside and rot into junk. No trade secret or my idea, but, if you live in an area with agriculture at all, these aluminum frame totes are everywhere and should last a long time outside. I gave $15 for this one.
CC89E40D-673A-4CF7-B10D-D0FC3D06624F.jpeg

Find a place that makes mulch. Can get their dye totes for around 25 where I am

I've been wanting a 790 for some time now and your posts aren't helping 😂
They’re a handy little tractor and punch above their weight class. Yanmar is bullet proof. No emissions monkey business. However, they are a bit tall and narrow which can be unnerving on a side hill with a load.

I run a ballast box on the 3 point at around 700 lbs. Put 400 lbs in the the bucket to weight the front end. Pick a gear shorter than what you think it would need and go. That wagon loaded is probably 3-4 ton. It never slips a wheel pulling outta there, and, it’s a fair grade.

Last edited:
My repair guy lost my 15 year old chainsaw (Husky) and I am looking to buy another chainsaw. I cut 5-6 cords of pine (here in Colorado) for winter heating each summer.
What you you think of the Stihl MS261c ? Any other reccomendations? have used a 20" bar in the past, should I stick with this or go for an 18"?

My stove:

Attachments

• 1684705341078.png
    1684705341078.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
My repair guy lost my 15 year old chainsaw (Husky) and I am looking to buy another chainsaw. I cut 5-6 cords of pine (here in Colorado) for winter heating each summer.
What you you think of the Stihl MS261c ? Any other reccomendations? have used a 20" bar in the past, should I stick with this or go for an 18"?

My stove:
The 562xp and 550xp mk2 have been great, haven't heard any complaints about the stihls either. I'd get whichever brand has a good service shop near my house.

My stove:
The 261 and mag piston 400 cm are both excellent saws. if you like the modern electronics you can't go wrong. If you like more of an old school setup and want to save some coin, the echos on sawsuppliers.com are an enormous value (especially if you use code SHACKER).

How do you lose a chainsaw?
Dropped off the saw for repair, link between trigger and carb, in December. Called back in March. He couldn't find it, asked me to call back later. Since March, I've been checking with him just about every week and every time get asked to call back in 2-3 days. I've been doing this all of April and May and keep getting vague excuses. He said he would make it right for me. But still getting put off. The jerk just lost it.

Thanks for your recommendations. Keep them coming.

Dropped off the saw for repair, link between trigger and carb, in December. Called back in March. He couldn't find it, asked me to call back later. Since March, I've been checking with him just about every week and every time get asked to call back in 2-3 days. I've been doing this all of April and May and keep getting vague excuses. He said he would make it right for me. But still getting put off. The jerk just lost it.

Blast his name out! He owes you a saw! That said, ms261 or ms361.

That’s messed up. Saw was either stolen from his shop, or, he sold it (ponzi scheme). He owes you. Stihl 261 and done. Husky’s pro grade saws are really nice, but around these parts, dealer support is lacking

My stove:
I got my 261cm because of the recommendations here. The cm is great if you're changing elevations. It automatically adjusts. I haven't done that yet though. The 361, 400, 461, 500i are all good too.
This helps see comparisons well.

Attachments

• Chain-Saw-Comparison-Chart.pdf
    7.3 MB · Views: 81

My stove:
Husky 550xp mk2 or the 261 stihl depending on dealers in area. If you got shit dealers for both then go husky for online parts. 20” bar for firewood is a good size unless you got little trees and look up to lowlight don’t get an 18”. Personal preference is 24-28” Don’t have to lean over to delimb or buck. Just don’t put the tip in the dirt 🤦🏼‍♂️

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your advice. Today I bought a Stihl MS 261C. It being about 1.5 lbs lighter than most was a big factor for me.
I found that prices on Stihl chainsaws was very consistent, even checking for discounts on ebay. It looks to me that Stihl is making their distributors to hold the line on pricing. But checking Craiglist, I saw a Stihl vendor ad that said "call for pricing". I did and they had a price about 7% below other dealers.
I got the 18" bar because my pine forest has few trees greater that this. My only concern is that I over-bought quality, as I am 81 years old and wonder how many years I have left cutting firewood. I've been cutting firewood for heating in my place for 35 years.
Stay away from Chainsaw Bob, Conifer, CO.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your advice. Today I bought a Stihl MS 261C. It being about 1.5 lbs lighter than most was a big factor for me.
I found that prices on Stihl chainsaws was very consistent, even checking for discounts on ebay. It looks to me that Stihl is making their distributors to hold the line on pricing. But checking Craiglist, I saw a Stihl vendor ad that said "call for pricing". I did and they had a price about 7% below other dealers.
I got the 18" bar because my pine forest has few trees greater that this. My only concern is that I over-bought quality, as I am 81 years old and wonder how many years I have left cutting firewood. I've been cutting firewood for heating in my place for 35 years.
You didn't over buy quality.
Just waite, you'll be happy and comfortable w your saw purchase very soon.
That saw w a 18 inch bar is the shit for smaller stuff.

That saw is the one I bought. I'm on the shorter side (5'6) and didn't want it too long for occasional tree work.

Reactions: Two36
What size chain?

What size chain?
Stock is 0.325 0.063 and 74 drive links for an 18". At least that is what came on mine. I chose the RM vs the stock RM3 cause they couldn't tell me if you could do a plunge cut with the reduced kickback RM3. I recently also got the carbide version as well just in case I run into dirtier wood.

Stock chain is a 26 rm3 74 for an 18" bar.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
I'm running 3/8 rs on an 026 with a 20 inch bar and a 7 pin sprocket. You can do plunge cuts with the safety chain. The safety bar has a smaller tip than the rest of the bar. That makes it hard to do plunge cuts.

First firewood load of the season in yesterday... unfortunately I am getting a late start this year. I was about done at this time last year.

I usually cut 6-8 cords of Douglas-fir or Western Larch (when availiable) with a smidgen of Lodgepole pine thrown in to finish out a load at times. More loads if its readily available.

I'm Looking at picking up a couple new loops of chain, and it seems like I've read that Oregon chain is on the soft side compared to Stihl. Does your experience mirror this? Also a friend has recommended a Stihl splitting maul. Thoughts? I'm using 3/8 chain, usually skip tooth or semi-skip, round file. I have used square ground chisel bit in the past but dirty wood at times screws the pooch on that.

Saws... 440 mag, 044, 38 Super, and a 036.

Also, whats the most durable leather glove for farm/garden/woodcutting/chores. TIA

Tailgate latch not working as it should... had to tie it closed for the trip home. $1000 bucks in repair work early this spring, new carb on the 300/6, exhaust repair/muffler, etc, but its paid for (itself many times over) and will haul a load much better than pickups 30-46 iishh years newer.

20230618_101242.jpg
20230622_124948.jpg
20230622_112751.jpg
20230623_094309.jpg

Last edited:
I run stihl 3/8 rs on an 026 036 and 362. I've read about Oregon being soft. Sorry i can't help.

Reactions: DIBBS
First firewood load of the season in yesterday... unfortunately I am getting a late start this year. I was about done at this time last year.

I usually cut 6-8 cords of Douglas-fir or Western Larch (when availiable) with a smidgen of Lodgepole pine thrown in to finish out a load at times. More loads if its readily available.

I'm Looking at picking up a couple new loops of chain, and it seems like I've read that Oregon chain is on the soft side compared to Stihl. Does your experience mirror this? Also a friend has recommended a Stihl splitting maul. Thoughts? I'm using 3/8 chain, usually skip tooth or semi-skip, round file. I have used square ground chisel bit in the past but dirty wood at times screws the pooch on that.

Saws... 440 mag, 044, 38 Super, and a 036.

Also, whats the most durable leather glove for farm/garden/woodcutting/chores. TIA

Tailgate latch not working as it should... had to tie it closed for the trip home.

View attachment 8166044
Stihl is definitely better chain than oregon.

Picked up a set up the leather palmed Mechanix gloves a few months back, really like them.

Reactions: DIBBS