• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

Foggy, damp morning here. Finished my “real” job work on the computer, and figured I’d catch up on some processing. By 1100 the sun broke through, the humidity got nasty, but was already started, so I figured why not. Had 2 fans going and was in the shade so it was bearable. Mostly Shagbark with a bit of Apple and Oak.
F9F52583-8E6D-443A-A775-CCD2A861CDED.jpeg
8393D46E-3938-4956-A78D-A899660ADE4A.jpeg

Anybody taking down some Osage Orange? I need some big chunks to make mallet heads.

What size? Have a buddy with a few on his property. I can see if he’s got anything.
The bigger the better, 4 inches thick by as long/wide as will fit in a LFRB. I’m not opposed to just having a log stuffed in the box/boxes lol.

I need to end up with chunks that are 3 inches wide X 4 inches thick X 5 inches long.

I’ll gladly pay.

Last edited:
The bigger the better, 4 inches thick by as long/wide as will fit in a LFRB. I’m not opposed to just having a log stuffed in the box/boxes lol.

I need to end up with chunks that are 3 inches wide X 4 inches thick X 5 inches long.

I’ll gladly pay.
Same here. No large ones near me, just small ones I have planted.

They’re sparse here. See one once in a while. We had one in the yard that we had planted 5-6 years ago. Derecho snapped it off at the base. I believe they’re more common further south (dust belt). Planted to stop erosion. Could be wrong.

Reactions: oneshot86
Renovating a Log home. All kinds of adventure. Today is squaring off the corners. Getting sick of this hobby, it eats up my shooting time!
Bonus picture of wife’s faith in scaffolding.

Attachments

• 2DC6DB50-1CD4-4A24-9306-883308DA3D5C.jpeg
    2DC6DB50-1CD4-4A24-9306-883308DA3D5C.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 158
  • A4E549CE-8CD5-45CF-AB19-1C0D88DDB2B2.jpeg
    A4E549CE-8CD5-45CF-AB19-1C0D88DDB2B2.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: camocorvette
Renovating a Log home. All kinds of adventure. Today is squaring off the corners. Getting sick of this hobby, it eats up my shooting time!
Bonus picture of wife’s faith in scaffolding.
Are you saving the cuts for firewood.

I found two of my grandfather's axe's in awful condition so I cleaned the heads and threw a new edge on the blades. I left some of the hammer marks from his youth on the Perfecto and put new hickory handles on both. The Plumb will make a handy camp axe and something to pass to my son.
Simple hand rubbed linseed oil finish on both.
IMG_20210331_185450232.jpg
IMG_20210331_185419303.jpg
IMG_20210331_185741539.jpg
IMG_20210403_193500_01 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_185213973.jpg
    IMG_20210331_185213973.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20210331_185722800.jpg
    IMG_20210331_185722800.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

I’ll gladly pay.

Still looking for this?

Friend lost part of his tree last winter. Osage Orange. The tree is massive, healthy and old. Beautiful wood.

I cut all of the broken branches down and was left with a lot of wood. Turned a lot into charcoal for grilling. Made a few chopping blocks.

Still have a 7-8 foot long limb untouched since it was cut that is probably 12 inches wide at one end and 6 inches wide at the small end. Has been laying on the ground since.

Offered it to a gent that makes hand made bows, but he declined as the weight was too much to haul out in one piece from where it was at and was too curved to reliably pull a straight length out for the trouble.

If the age is too old since it was cut, I will take a look to see if there is a fresh piece I can cut off. Just let me know.

I only have a chainsaw and an axe, so I'll be cutting segments of the limb to send.
Beware though before you commit, that the weight is really damned heavy for wood. If your asking for Osage Orange, you probably already know this, but its worth saying if you are paying for shipping.

Still looking for this?

Friend lost part of his tree last winter. Osage Orange. The tree is massive, healthy and old. Beautiful wood.

I cut all of the broken branches down and was left with a lot of wood. Turned a lot into charcoal for grilling. Made a few chopping blocks.

Still have a 7-8 foot long limb untouched since it was cut that is probably 12 inches wide at one end and 6 inches wide at the small end. Has been laying on the ground since.

Offered it to a gent that makes hand made bows, but he declined as the weight was too much to haul out in one piece from where it was at and was too curved to reliably pull a straight length out for the trouble.

If the age is too old since it was cut, I will take a look to see if there is a fresh piece I can cut off. Just let me know.

I only have a chainsaw and an axe, so I'll be cutting segments of the limb to send.
Beware though before you commit, that the weight is really damned heavy for wood. If your asking for Osage Orange, you probably already know this, but its worth saying if you are paying for shipping.
Absolutely! Pm inbound.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Still looking for this?

Same here, please. I sent you a PM

Reactions: RGStory
Just a few of my father's log home building tools. He has more than I can count now.
On a whim he started building a hand hewn Norwegian style log cabin in the back forty. Just for fun and to test his new axe's 😆
He just received a center grind Muller Biber hewing axe from Austria. The blade is so perfectly sharp you can shave the hair off your arm with it.
Its really something to hold a handmade axe. It is a different feel from the store bought forged pieces.
IMG_20210824_205646.jpg
image000000 (1).jpg
image000000.jpg
image000001.jpg
IMG_20211103_103849.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't that what the astronauts have for breakfast ?

Lucky guys

Anyone in Osage orange country got a dead one that is large enough I could get a bow stave out of by chance?

Tell me more about it , most hedge trees are pretty narley are you looking for a limb or a trunk a log . I've got a lot of it I'll look around.

This pine was earmarked for firewood. Had nice growth rings so I saved it. Will be a dining table when done.
8D78C0E8-E9FB-41A8-855F-12143237D65A.jpeg

This board will be flattened and then ripped to make cross stretchers. The table frame will be put together using drawbore mortise and tenons.

Last edited:
Stacking it up. Ready for the cold.

Interesting, I always stack bark side down. Old timers used to say bark side up doesn’t let the water evaporate as quickly. I suppose if you pile wood to dry then stack it like in your video, bark side up makes sense, it helps shed water better. Here in PA we burn mostly hardwood, oak, ash, hickory. If I piled oak up like that it would take 3 years to dry out and the bottom 2’ would never dry.

Interesting, I always stack bark side down. Old timers used to say bark side up doesn’t let the water evaporate as quickly. I suppose if you pile wood to dry then stack it like in your video, bark side up makes sense, it helps shed water better. Here in PA we burn mostly hardwood, oak, ash, hickory. If I piled oak up like that it would take 3 years to dry out and the bottom 2’ would never dry.
Most of what I burn is dead standing beetle kill lodgepole pine. It's pretty dry already. A few years back I got some green douglas fir. It was wet, and that bark was thick. PITA.

Reactions: oneshot86
Most of what I burn is dead standing beetle kill lodgepole pine. It's pretty dry already. A few years back I got some green douglas fir. It was wet, and that bark was thick. PITA.
Do you use wood exclusively to heat your home? If you do Is Doug fir even worth it? I bucked and split 8 cord of oak at my grandpas cabin. Every year one of the teen boys( me, my brothers or my other 3 cousins) would be responsible for the firewood. He was always 2 years ahead. Out of the 8 cord I split he burned 6 over that winter. Oak is about 2.5-3X the BTUs of Doug fir or a softer pine. I can’t imagine 15-18 cord of wood per year and 40+ cord of wood split and stacked. Seems like an insane way to live.

W
Do you use wood exclusively to heat your home? If you do Is Doug fir even worth it? I bucked and split 8 cord of oak at my grandpas cabin. Every year one of the teen boys( me, my brothers or my other 3 cousins) would be responsible for the firewood. He was always 2 years ahead. Out of the 8 cord I split he burned 6 over that winter. Oak is about 2.5-3X the BTUs of Doug fir or a softer pine. I can’t imagine 15-18 cord of wood per year and 40+ cord of wood split and stacked. Seems like an insane way to live.
We have propane forced-air furnace, but we heat about 90% or more with the woodstove. We burn around 4-5 cords per year.

This year I wanted to process the remainder of my older log pile. I tallied about 18 hours on the chainsaw, about 16 hours splitting, and about 6 hours stacking. So roughly 40 hours work for a winters firewood. That works for me.

Last edited:
W

We have propane forced-air furnace, but we heat about 90% or more with the woodstove. We burn around 4-5 cords per year.

This year I wanted to process the remainder of my older log pile. I tallied about 18 hours on the chainsaw, about 16 hours splitting, and about 6 hours stacking. So roughly 40 hours work for a winters firewood. That works for me.
Yep, not too bad at all. I’d imagine you’re a more efficient set up than my grandpas old cast iron stove and hand built log cabin. 5 cord of soft wood ain’t bad to deal with