• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal comparison IRD Vs Trail

Dark-water

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Has anyone had the new Pulsar trail XD next to the Reap IR yet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I havnt ever run a pulsar but I do have a IRD Mark ii and I can honestly say you will not be disappointed by anything from IRD. I've had mine for going on 3 years now and it still amazes me. I will say though depending on your intended use the more you zoom in the worse the picture gets so unless your staying in close say 50 yards or so I'd get something with a higher base magnification for a clearer sight picture.

If we can get somebody to compare the "trail" to the xd50a, I can comment on xd50a to ird reap. I have used both of those side by side. Clarity of xd50a to reap on lowest power is xd50a is pretty close to reap at at least 85% equal, maybe 90%. Xd50a negative is the size of the unit compared to reap. I have no problem recommending the xd50a to anyone.

so, if somebody can compare the trail to the xd50.....

I'm doing a hunt with the guys from Pulsar next weekend. Will have my Reap as a spotter and the XP50 + another one of the new Pulsars on rifles. Will report back.

I've owned/own/or have used extensively the 35mm MkII, XD50A Apex, and the XQ50 Trail. For the money the trail can't be beat in my opinion. It offers the most value of any of the scopes I've listed. The REAP-IR has a VERY pretty image and has some great features and the size and weight is awesome, but you're are gonna pay a lot more for those things. If you can live with a higher native mag and less FOV the trail is the way to go. If you are hunting thick woods, I'd go with the XP50. The XD50A is still a great scope, but Pulsar just realeased the Apex XQ50 with a OLED screen, better sensor, for 1K less. So that's a no brainer. If you don't need the cool features of the trail the Apex XQ50 would be an awesome scope and you could buy nearly 2-3 of them for the cost of a REAP-IR. If money is not of a concern for you I'd get a REAP-IR. If you want the best value and the cool features like onboard recording and streaming, get the trail. If you just want something to hunt with and don't care about features and want to save some $$$ get the Apex XQ50. The battery life of the trails blows IR defense and the APEX out of the water as well. This is a big selling point for me.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions. This is of course just my opinion, but I've used these scopes quite a bit in various conditions hog and coyote hunting.

I just dropped the money on the trail xp50. I have never actually looked through the Reap ir... I'm sure it's a thing of beauty but I saved nearly 3k by going with the trail xp50.

I will post a video when I receive her and get some time in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The video right now does not have audio and can only be viewed through the app or manually downloaded to a computer. They are releasing a firmware update in about a week to address the audio issue. I've given feedback to Sellmark who will relay the bugs I've found to Pulsar as well so they will correct them in future firmware updates.