• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal coyote kill at 880

Hypothetical coyote hunting scenario:

you and a friend are calling coyotes, 3 come in, stop at 150, you and your friend count it down and connect on the double. Third coyote runs like a bat out of hell. Are you shooting at the runner?

You don’t need to answer, because if you are a coyote hunter I already know the answer.

I don’t shoot runners... of anything.

Of course, if it’s a large predator running straight at me, then I might consider it. ;)

Hypothetical coyote hunting scenario:

you and a friend are calling coyotes, 3 come in, stop at 150, you and your friend count it down and connect on the double. Third coyote runs like a bat out of hell. Are you shooting at the runner?

You don’t need to answer, because if you are a coyote hunter I already know the answer.
Could be yes or no...

Just depends if I have anymore rounds in the rifle

I've seen enough pets, livestock, and game animals torn apart that I'll shoot one with a 22lr at 880 yards until it dies of lead poison if that's the only choice I have.

In honesty... If you handed me a rifle I didn't know the hold for and that was my only chance at putting a bullet in one of them... I'd guess the hold and try the shot

I have also taken a shot on one with a pistol from a moving vehicle, and I can promise you I hadn't practiced that shot before either

Don't get me wrong if I can give one a follow up shot or close ground and put him down I don't want him to suffer either

But a coyote is one of those things that falls under the extreme prejudice rules as far as I'm concerned

Those that have sympathy for a gut shot coyote either won’t admit the cruelty they display as a predator or have never witnessed it. Hang around a sheep outfit while they are lambing or a cow outfit while calving. Gut shooting them is too good for them. It’s their nature and I accept that, but it doesn’t mean I sympathize with them. We add ethics to death, nature does not. We have very effective ways of controlling predators, it’s not a sport. We shoot them for sport but it’s not our principal means of control. It’s different when your livelihood is impacted by predation, four legged or two legged.
Nice shot.
Kyle

Those that have sympathy for a gut shot coyote either won’t admit the cruelty they display as a predator or have never witnessed it. Hang around a sheep outfit while they are lambing or a cow outfit while calving. Gut shooting them is too good for them. It’s their nature and I accept that, but it doesn’t mean I sympathize with them. We add ethics to death, nature does not. We have very effective ways of controlling predators, it’s not a sport. We shoot them for sport but it’s not our principal means of control. It’s different when your livelihood is impacted by predation, four legged or two legged.
Nice shot.
Kyle

When all you have to kill something is teeth and claws, things ain’t gonna be pretty. ;)

We’re “evolved.” It ain’t “nature” to hurl a supersonic projectile at anything — but it sure is fun.

We have sheep, including about 30 new lambs in the last 10 days alone. We have goats, chickens (100’s), turkeys, ducks, hogs (100’s), and beef and dairy cattle.

I don’t get angry with the predators, and I don’t kill them with malice. We’ve lost livestock to them as well. I just popped two less than 48 hours ago. I could’ve made it hurt and made them suffer instead, if just dropping them in their tracks was “too good for them,” but I resist that urge.

I have opposable thumbs. 😁

When all you have to kill something is teeth and claws, things ain’t gonna be pretty. ;)

We’re “evolved.” It ain’t “nature” to hurl a supersonic projectile at anything — but it sure is fun.

We have sheep, including about 30 new lambs in the last 10 days alone. We have goats, chickens (100’s), turkeys, ducks, hogs (100’s), and beef and dairy cattle.

I don’t get angry with the predators, and I don’t kill them with malice. We’ve lost livestock to them as well. I just popped two less than 48 hours ago. I could’ve made it hurt and made them suffer instead, if just dropping them in their tracks was “too good for them,” but I resist that urge.

I have opposable thumbs. 😁
I think yotes are pretty cool, I just don't like them killing my livestock. The same goes for peoples dogs.