• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thermal coyote kill at 880

I was pretty stoked to get home and see the video of the kill, messed up a video out setting and only got the audio, thankfully one of us was recording

What setup are you running on both rifle and what the video was filmed on?

How did you dial your dope with a thermal
The halo lr has a mil reticle, for ranging i have both a pulsar accolade 2 lrf and a radius on the gun. For strictly ranging the radius kicks the accolades ass and its not even close

Reactions: Smokin7s
Thanks, I'm still lurking and soaking up info on the night game.

What's rifle setup and caliber ?
Its an Accuracy International AT, 6.5 creed, heavier than i like for a coyote gun, but it shoots and i know the dope well, putting together a lighter 6 creed now and that will hopefully be my coyote gun next year

Great shot...how does the radius work? Do you zero it to your halo lr so you get the range for wherever your scope is pointing?

That is flat out amazing shot at night.

Great job

Reactions: Nate60x
Great shot...how does the radius work? Do you zero it to your halo lr so you get the range for wherever your scope is pointing?
Thanks, the radius has a visible red laser you use to align it with your scope, i was surprised how quick the setup was, It also has a scan mode which is pretty cool

Pics of this rig please!
00E5044A-278A-4293-8F92-39FBED8CD3AE_1_105_c.jpeg

Ha Yep, but that's also 75 coyotes+ that Won't be trying to eat baby calves during the Siberian winter storm we just had. A+

Dead pigs and 'yotes are worth every single penny you put into NV/Thermal, even more so when you row crop farm and have cattle. The only problem I struggle with is that I am just not as mad at them as I used to be and that's the difference maker in terms of pushing me to get out there and get after them more often than not.

Last edited:
I hate to be the Debbie Downer of the group, and not dissing Nate, but...

There’s just zero way of having any sort of shot placement at those ranges, meaning your target is likely gonna suffer. That ‘yote was obviously hit, but scurried off to die. No clue how long that ordeal took.

This is why, even with a Halo-LR, UTC, TigIR, etc, I won’t take long shots. A ‘yote is practically the size of 2-3 pixels at that range.

Just my $0.02 in a world where pennies are worthless. And no, I’m not holding myself up as some paragon of virtue.

Wrong thread, oops.

Last edited:

There’s just zero way of having any sort of shot placement at those ranges, meaning your target is likely gonna suffer. That ‘yote was obviously hit, but scurried off to die. No clue how long that ordeal took.

This is why, even with a Halo-LR, UTC, TigIR, etc, I won’t take long shots. A ‘yote is practically the size of 2-3 pixels at that range.

Just my $0.02 in a world where pennies are worthless. And no, I’m not holding myself up as some paragon of virtue.

Let's unpack this and educate me because I am a complete noob to night fun

Does the Halo LR hold a legit zero?

If it does and a person is disciplined with their dope and gear........I'm not seeing why a person would not sling lead at coyotes.

Not trying to start stuff but mainly I would like for people to share their long range experiences with various NV/thermal.

Clearly shooting deer, elk etc is never gonna be an option at night. Varmints.......need to be exterminated.

To each his own as to whether or not they would "take the shot" but if a person knows their gear and can implement it effectively then they know how high the likelihood of impacting the target is.

What I can say is that even at 880 yards a 6.5cm is going to wreck a coyote wherever it hits. When coyotes are eating calves (especially during this time of year) it makes squeezing the trigger and even easier decision.

Coyotes frequently run off like bandits when shot only to expire very quickly.

How long did the calves suffer that coyote ate while they ate the back legs or started eating its ass out while it was still alive?

I don't mean to come off like a dick but when people farm for a living shooting coyotes is a different business vs only for sport.

Let's unpack this and educate me because I am a complete noob to night fun

Does the Halo LR hold a legit zero?

If it does and a person is disciplined with their dope and gear........I'm not seeing why a person would not sling lead at coyotes.

Not trying to start stuff but mainly I would like for people to share their long range experiences with various NV/thermal.

Clearly shooting deer, elk etc is never gonna be an option at night. Varmints.......need to be exterminated.

To each his own as to whether or not they would "take the shot" but if a person knows their gear and can implement it effectively then they know how high the likelihood of impacting the target is.

What I can say is that even at 880 yards a 6.5cm is going to wreck a coyote wherever it hits. When coyotes are eating calves (especially during this time of year) it makes squeezing the trigger and even easier decision.

Coyotes frequently run off like bandits when shot only to expire very quickly.

How long did the calves suffer that coyote ate while they ate the back legs or started eating its ass out while it was still alive?

I don't mean to come off like a dick but when people farm for a living shooting coyotes is a different business vs only for sport.

I done went and started some. 😁

Most of us aren’t farming for a living. I have a farm, as does everyone around me. No one likes yotes and would rather see their numbers greatly reduced. I’ve taken a fair number myself.

All I’m saying is, a Halo-LR ain’t no 25x day scope. At 800 yards you can’t see squat. Zero definition. You’re lobbing lead at a blob of a few measly pixels. You can certainly hit the blob, but your chances of a humane kill are near zero.

That’s all I’m saying. Nothing special. Just musing out loud. We’ve all, regrettably, shot something that suffered far more than it should have before it died because of a poorly placed shot. I hope we all hate seeing anything suffer to death.

Most of us aren’t farming for a living. I have a farm, as does everyone around me. No one likes yotes and would rather see their numbers greatly reduced. I’ve taken a fair number myself.

All I’m saying is, a Halo-LR ain’t no 25x day scope. At 800 yards you can’t see squat. Zero definition. You’re lobbing lead at a blob of a few measly pixels. You can certainly hit the blob, but your chances of a humane kill are near zero.

That’s all I’m saying. Nothing special. Just musing out loud. We’ve all, regrettably, shot something that suffered far more than it should have before it died because of a poorly placed shot. I hope we all hate seeing anything suffer to death.
Roger that 👍👍

Reactions: TheHorta

That coyote died fairly quickly, ran about 50 more yards and tipped. I cant disagree with you though, there is a chance at that range that the coyote may suffer. Though the chance of it suffering is no better than if one of my hunting partners would have shot it at 200. Sorry Jerry 😂! The coyotes will to live is the reason i wont hunt them with .20’s or .22’s anymore.

To be clear, you definitely not wrong about anything you said. There a couple of things about that shot I should mention.

1. First and most importantly we had those coyotes in closer earlier and had positively identified them as coyotes, they got spooked for whatever reason and we watched them leave and we could not call them back.

2. There was no wind.

3. That range was definitely at the very far end of what i would shoot at under perfect conditions and Its unlikely that it happens again. For me 750 is probably a better max range with that scope.

I actually don't care if coyotes suffer, but I would be pretty distraught if I shot somebody's dog because I couldn't PID. I am pretty conservative that way. I know people think they can PID coyotes vs dogs at pretty long distances, and maybe they can, but I wouldn't trust myself to do so.

Awesome shooting, well done. For coyotes, wild hogs, and other garbage vermin, a decent hit is still at least a temporary mission kill for that piece of shit even if it doesn't die right away. After all, the calves don't get short, relatively painless deaths at the hands of the yotes. No one short of a complete psychopath wants a living thing to suffer on its way out, but if he can at least prevent that coyote from killing livestock from 800 yd then mission accomplished. It is obviously preferable that the coyote dies quickly, but not an absolute requirement. I get that the yote doesn't realize it is destroying property (circle of life and all that), but it doesn't change the fact of what it is doing. Destructive species should not get the same thoughtful considerations as game animals, IMHO.

TL/DR: Fuck coyotes.

1. First and most importantly we had those coyotes in closer earlier and had positively identified them as coyotes, they got spooked for whatever reason and we watched them leave and we could not call them back.

This was going to be my only gripe, I don’t have the skill to ID at those ranges but if you saw them before hand that makes more sense. I’m always conflicted on a long range shot, I just don’t do it enough to know it will be a solid hit, but sometimes even close range a perfect hit doesn’t necessarily drop them right away.

I shot this coyote the other night at 175 yards. It ran 250 yards before it died about 3 yards from a hole/den it was trying to get too. I know what your thinking that shots was 1mm low and 2mm right.. Killed 63 since dec 1st and that is the first one Ive had take more than a few steps after the shot. Dead’s dead though. I’m sure the cows fawns pets chickens mice only suffer for seconds when they are chewing them alive?... Ide never put a limit on a person ability to make a shot they feel for them selves is ethical. Situations are always dictated different in the moment. I have no doubt the op has some incredible equipment and many rounds behind his equipment and abilities or he wouldn’t have even came close to taking or making that shot. Nice kill. Me personally I wouldn’t give a shit if you shot it in the toe and it bled out, but what do I know about ethical animal practices and rights I’m just a farmer that raises 2million free range chickens a year, in fenced in chickens houses, so the city folk can pay the man double the price for it.

Attachments

• 6FBF0A05-9558-49CD-B457-7CFE8DC5C266.jpeg
    6FBF0A05-9558-49CD-B457-7CFE8DC5C266.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 0FA301C5-9485-4D38-933B-6941012EA25C.jpeg
    0FA301C5-9485-4D38-933B-6941012EA25C.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
To me a calf is $1000 +/- (to be precise our running avg gross is $983 ... though last year we kept back 3 heifers to become cows ... and if they survive their first pregnancy they'll be worth more to us as potentially they can produce 12 or more calves each)... a yote is revenue risk. The longest shot on a yote I've taken is 509yds. I PID'd at around 600yds and then was able to close the distance a bit before taking the shot. How's that? The yote was sitting on top of a bale for 10 mins challenge barking me and wouldn't stop. Eventually I decided to stop him :)

The standard around here is "a roamin' dog is a wild dog" ... and "we shoot wild dogs" ... and the Sheriff agrees, he says, "If you don't shoot 'em I will" ... so technically whether its a yote or a dog, if its on my land at night near my cattle, its a target. That said, if I know my neighbors dogs are coming over at night, I'll shoot to miss, if I can PID 'em ... and tell them to go home ... and they will. That's if I can PID 'em. And so far, I think I've been able to. Husky's tails are usually sticking up ... yotes tails are usually down at 45 degree angle ... that's a solid clue. PID is not an instantaneously thing, especially as the distance increases. You have to watch the movements and look for clues. Fortunately yotes are very vocal and will often give you PID at quite a distance with their vocalizations. But if you know what your neighbors dogs look like and you know what yotes look like, then that helps.

I don't think about a yote suffering any more than I think about baby mice or rats suffering when I stomp them to death when I find their nests. That's the fastest way to kill 'em and I do it. Otherwise its harder to kill 'em and they do more damage first.

Same with tree rats, they EAT our deck. I kill everyone I see. I don't go eat their house, they shouldn't come eat my house.

Out here you get a different perspective on the whole life and death cycle from city people. You see death all the time, but there is plenty of life was well.

Here's what remained of a calf the next morning after yotes got it ...

49600181328_70e069ca9c_k.jpg

The moms hate yotes. When I kill a yote go retrieve, the moms will come over and head butt the dead yote. They don't even like dead yotes. They are the first line of defense. I'm the back up. But every calf I can help save is $1000.

To me a calf is $1000 +/- (to be precise our running avg gross is $983 ... though last year we kept back 3 heifers to become cows ... and if they survive their first pregnancy they'll be worth more to us as potentially they can produce 12 or more calves each)... a yote is revenue risk. The longest shot on a yote I've taken is 509yds. I PID'd at around 600yds and then was able to close the distance a bit before taking the shot. How's that? The yote was sitting on top of a bale for 10 mins challenge barking me and wouldn't stop. Eventually I decided to stop him :)

The standard around here is "a roamin' dog is a wild dog" ... and "we shoot wild dogs" ... and the Sheriff agrees, he says, "If you don't shoot 'em I will" ... so technically whether its a yote or a dog, if its on my land at night near my cattle, its a target. That said, if I know my neighbors dogs are coming over at night, I'll shoot to miss, if I can PID 'em ... and tell them to go home ... and they will. That's if I can PID 'em. And so far, I think I've been able to. Husky's tails are usually sticking up ... yotes tails are usually down at 45 degree angle ... that's a solid clue. PID is not an instantaneously thing, especially as the distance increases. You have to watch the movements and look for clues. Fortunately yotes are very vocal and will often give you PID at quite a distance with their vocalizations. But if you know what your neighbors dogs look like and you know what yotes look like, then that helps.

I don't think about a yote suffering any more than I think about baby mice or rats suffering when I stomp them to death when I find their nests. That's the fastest way to kill 'em and I do it. Otherwise its harder to kill 'em and they do more damage first.

Same with tree rats, they EAT our deck. I kill everyone I see. I don't go eat their house, they shouldn't come eat my house.

Out here you get a different perspective on the whole life and death cycle from city people. You see death all the time, but there is plenty of life was well.

Here's what remained of a calf the next morning after yotes got it ...

49600181328_70e069ca9c_k.jpg

The moms hate yotes. When I kill a yote go retrieve, the moms will come over and head butt the dead yote. They don't even like dead yotes. They are the first line of defense. I'm the back up. But every calf I can help save is $1000.
You ever find it funny that people say they live on a farm but 20-100 acres a garden and John Deere lawn mower is not a farm call it what it is “you live on a 20 acre lot that produces nothing but mowed grass” same as those in the city and the suburbs.

We have over 4,000 acres, 1,800 of it being ranch land with cattle and the other 2,300ish is row crop. Between pigs and birds eating the crop and coyotes coming after the cattle we have our hands full. That said if the guy down the road with 70 acres and 15 cows and a chicken coop has his herd threatened the same as ours I don't think any less of it, after all it's still a farm/ranch regardless of the size.

We have over 4,000 acres, 1,800 of it being ranch land with cattle and the other 2,300ish is row crop. Between pigs and birds eating the crop and coyotes coming after the cattle we have our hands full. That said if the guy down the road with 70 acres and 15 cows and a chicken coop has his herd threatened the same as ours I don't think any less of it, after all it's still a farm/ranch regardless of the size.
This is the correct take. A man's property is no less worthwhile because it is smaller or poorer.

Man, fuck that yote. Id shoot one with a potato gun if i thought there was a chance id hit it. Like mentioned above, they are no different to me than a rat or any other vermin out there. I've got at least 2 around here close to the house. Im thinking about calling them into the yard and sending Major after them to watch him rip them to shreds. He kills anything that moves.

I knew when I posted the video that there was a good chance someone would have an issue with the distance. I can understand their viewpoint.

But when it comes to shooting coyotes...
571FF0B5-73F8-4F0C-9ADD-9DBEC2C2E667.png

Even though coyotes are vermin and destructive by nature, i still feel bad if i hit one and it doesn’t die right away. Even worse when they are lookin at you as you walk up on them to put em down. I’ve had 2 do that, rest died quickly or instantly.

no matter how much we hate them, they are part of the ecosystem and do play a roll of importance. Mostly rabbit and mouse population control, but they can be cruel, but no different than other predators including man.

Reactions: spife7980
i got a ex wife i wouldnt feel too bad about her having a slow painful death, probably feel a little sympathy for the coyote if it suffered for a bit though.

And that is exactly why I will not longer try and shoot LARGE hogs with a 223 past 100. Shot placement is everything. No animal should suffer because of a poorly / lucky shot.

R/
CBDR

Hypothetical coyote hunting scenario:

you and a friend are calling coyotes, 3 come in, stop at 150, you and your friend count it down and connect on the double. Third coyote runs like a bat out of hell. Are you shooting at the runner?

You don’t need to answer, because if you are a coyote hunter I already know the answer.

Hypothetical coyote hunting scenario:

you and a friend are calling coyotes, 3 come in, stop at 150, you and your friend count it down and connect on the double. Third coyote runs like a bat out of hell. Are you shooting at the runner?

You don’t need to answer, because if you are a coyote hunter I already know the answer.
I've taken yotes comfortably at 400 yards with a PVS I bought. I had ranging points that I established during the day. I even knocked out a double (two in a shot, totally by happenstance, it was glorious).