• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Thermal Scanner/Scope Combo or just Scanner?

EastCOYotes

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
Idalia Colorado
I’m thinking I may take the leap and buy a thermal this winter (hopefully some Black Friday deals).

I already have a sightmark wraith that I night hunt with but I use flashlights for scanning, so my question is should I buy a thermal scanner and then still shoot with the Wraith, or just buy a mid level thermal scope with a solid QD mount that I can scan and shoot both with?

A little higher base mag appeals to me since I hunt mostly open pastures/fields and not a lot of trees.

Scanners considered: pulsar Helion family

Scopes considered: Flir PTS 536 (discontinued now though...), Bering Optics Super Hogster.

Budget: trying to stay around $3-4K.

I have used the Flir PTS536 a lot. For an open plains, single target acquisition situation, it is OK as a weapon's sight but was still hard with multiple coyotes or follow-up shots.. I would never recommend it as a scanner with a 4.5° FOV. It would be OK to simply stop at a field and see if there are some hogs in a field for instance. When I hear the word scanner, I think of sitting on a coyote stand and scanning 360° for 30+ minutes at a time.

For as much as I absolutely love the Super Hogster, it is a better scope than scanner depending again on the target species. The size is fine but you are now talking about a 7.5° FOV. That is almost 2x the 536, but it really depends on how it will be used. If you really want double duty and don't plan to shoot past 200 a lot, I would probably recommend the Hogster-R 35. I prefer the Super Hogster as a TWS, but for doing both a lot, I would go with the 35.

As for using a QD mount, the Hogsters work great for this. However, it depends on what you are doing. If you are scanning for Hogs, and then mounting, and shooting fine. However, I have never understood guys who think they can call coyotes in total darkness, and with a coyote or pack of coyotes bearing down on them, have the time and calmness, to get the scope mounted on the right rail spot, locked down, pick the coyotes back up and shoot. I would miss so many opportunities if I did this, and I hunt wide open plains, so I can usually see them coming for awhile.

Reactions: camocorvette
All coyotes & no hogs for me (Colorado). I’ve never actually done the scanner/gun swapping act you mentioned but I hear your concern of it being mentally stressful to do when you know you have dogs coming in (I’ve got a hard enough time keeping calm without throwing that into the mix).

I think I am leaning toward super Hogster, but workflow wise a scanner on a lanyard and shooting my Wraith would probably be less clumsy

I would start with the Bering Optics Phenom. They are releasing a 640x480 12μm version very soon. The image is going to amaze you. Then save for a little bit, and get the Bering Optics Super Hogster. The other option is to reverse this, and start with the Super Hogster as your scanner, although the FOV will be tight. As budget becomes available switch it your gun, and buy the Phenom later.

If you are on a tighter budget, you could also consider the Hogster 25 as a scanner, but the Phenom and Super Hogster as a combination will leave you with an unbelievable combo.

I would start with the Bering Optics Phenom. They are releasing a 640x480 12μm version very soon. The image is going to amaze you. Then save for a little bit, and get the Bering Optics Super Hogster. The other option is to reverse this, and start with the Super Hogster as your scanner, although the FOV will be tight. As budget becomes available switch it your gun, and buy the Phenom later.

If you are on a tighter budget, you could also consider the Hogster 25 as a scanner, but the Phenom and Super Hogster as a combination will leave you with an unbelievable combo.

What’s the price tag on that Phenom?

Bering's cost on the Phenom 12 µm is higher than the older 17 µm, so Night Goggles was anticipating an increase in cost. However, I was told last week by Bering it will stay the same at a MAP price of $3195. Night Goggles got the first shipment available to any dealers of Phenoms and all or most all of them have been sold already. You would want to speak to Tom Austin, Programs Director at Night Goggles at 909-312-5424 X531 to find out if there are any left, and if not, what the expected lead time is on the next order we already have placed.

Also mention you are from the "Hide" for a Hide special price including Free Shipping.

The way I figure it, you already have the wraith, that's a good starter scope. If you get the spotter you don't have to shoulder your rifle so much and get wore out. I run a pulsar axion and it lets me cover a lot of ground quickly and easily. My brother runs a wraith and combined with a thermal spotter it allows him to understand his scope better even when he doesn't have my spotter if that makes any sense.

AGM Asp Micro TM384.
I just received another one that a friend asked me to buy for him.
I got this one for under $1,300 shipped.
This time I also bought the 160 version, so I could do a real comparison between the two and really get to test them.
I'll be returning the 160.
Went outside and tried it in the snow storm that's hitting my area of NY state right now.
I sent my old setter out into the storm as a test subject and had no issues seeing him at 50 yards, so I put on some snow camo and snuck into the neighbors yard and viewed him from over 100 yards, with good clarity.
This little thermal is very impressive and for the price, an excellent gateway unit for someone looking to try thermal without breaking the bank.

I bought the Phenom from Tom at Night Goggles.. Its an awesome Unit. The picture in this thing is unreal.. Im very pleased, for the price Its hard to beat..