• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Things to do in San Antonio: August 27 thru September 1

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
I am traveling to San Antonio to visit my wife when she graduates from USAF BMT at Lackland AFB. I will be down on Wednesday and I do not get to see her till Thursday. I see her Thursday thru Sunday, and I have time to kill on Monday and early Tuesday before my flight leaves.

Any ideas? I should have done this with my last two trips to other states.

I am bringing along our 20yo son from Fort Lewis, WA, so no bars. Not that I am a big drinker, if I polish off a 6-pack in two months, I have drank a lot!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind traveling a couple hours if it is worth the drive.

Thanks!

Alamo for sure. Menger Hotel next to the Alamo has some great history and artifacts from Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders. Across from the Alamo is a creepy wax museum. Riverwalk is always good. Some Great Mexican restaurants. Nagels and Drury gunshops.

Shouldering my way through a massive crowd on the Riverwalk after an AF BMT graduation is not my idea of fun. Weekend evenings if you are early enough can be OK, but it gets crowded and drunks abound.
1. Alamo, and the Cathedral: Not only history of the fight for freedom, but free guided tours by the Sons of Republic of Texas. The Cathedral has the remains of James bowie, David Crockett and Col Travis, in a crypt at the front entrance. Between the two sites in the Presidio, all of which played important parts in the Siege of Bejar and the Battle of the Alamo.
2. Menger Hotel: Not only Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders, but impressive architecture in the older part of the hotel. Fun shops along the front facade.
3. The Museum at Ft Sam Houston is closed right now for a move, but has incredible history of the region.
4. Schlitterbahn, a water park in New Braunfels. You can also tube down the river through town.
5. Gun Show. There is a gun show EVERY weekend somewhere in San Antonio.
6. Canyon Lake: For a lazy day on the water, go to the Army facility at Canyon Lake, and rent a pontoon boat or fishing boat. Bass. Lots of Bass.
7. Imax at the River Center Mall. (near Alamo) It has a great movie about the Alamo, as well as whatever is the hot ticket for 3-D, Imax currently released. (currently Guardians OF The Galaxy")
8. Bass Pro: Big Bass Pro out at the mall called the Rim. I-10 north. Also another IMax theater out there with a restaurant and bar inside. (have a pizza, then take a frozen marguerita into the show. Wow)
9. Brackenridge Park, Zoo, and mini-train.
10 Sea World, and Fiesta Texas/6 Flags.
Stay out of the PX or you will be standing in line with 4,000 other AF parents and their graduating Servicemen/women.
Depending on your tastes, 11. Mi Tierra is a great Mexican Food Restaurant. Either go early (just before 5 pm, or very late, like midnight breakfast) or you will wait in line there too. 20 bucks gets you two songs by Marriachis. Wait for the larger band rather than the two guys. Large Shopping center for imports.
12. The Majestic Theater: Smokey Robinson will be there August 20. They have concerts, major plays (we saw Les Miz there), and other activities. An incredible theater building. Worth seeing anything there, just to experience the building.
Good luck.

Unfortunately, Schlitterbohns is out. Graduation and town pass requirements are that she must remain in uniform.
Zoo's are cool, might do that. I think we can do Sea World.
Love me some mexican food, I think that will be a must do.
Alamo sounds good, I think that was already on the list to do.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am looking forward to the trip. Never been to Texas before (except flying through, never left the terminal).

Congratulations to your wife. I'm sure she told you it's going to be hot when you're here. She'll be used to it, but you and your son will not, so plan accordingly. If you like food I suggest you check out the Pearl (the old brewery). They have over a dozen restaurants and several are exceptional.

If you do go to Austin be aware that UT has a home game August 30th. Austin traffic is always unpredictable. Lockhart is a possible day trip. It's the self-proclaimed Barbeque Capital of Texas. It has a really nice courthouse. You can always just head north into the hill country for a nice drive.

Hope you enjoy the Labor Day weekend in SA with your family.

not to be a downer- but getting mugged on the river walk seems to be what a lot of tourists do.

not to be a downer- but getting mugged on the river walk seems to be what a lot of tourists do.

Holy shit that's funny! Quite honestly, I have an above average situational awareness. I am a Corrections Deputy, and I have to watch my back 24/7. Not saying it can't happen, but I am aware of my surroundings.

That is still funny. I have read that three times and laugh harder each time! Thanks Downhill!

Think it is worthwhile to get in touch with either Shilen or Stiller Precision and see if I can tour their facility??

Also on the river walk there is the Buckhorn saloon. Not really a bar. Kid friendly. They have a cafe there along with some of the wildest taxidermy mounts on the world. Also have a Texas ranger museum in same building.

La Cantera mall on the West side is a very upscale outdoor mall. Lots of quality shopping there. Papa Gallo's or Paloma Blanca is the best Mexican IMO. Agree with the Pearl Brewery, the market is excellent on Saturdays. Gruene, Fredericksburg or Boerne (google em), all make fine day trips. Each within hour and a half from Lackland. There isn't a better place to be a soldier! Texas capitol building in Austin is about 1.5 hours as well and definitely an interesting tour. Hmm what else...

I used to go there on occasion when I lived down in Texas...

Loved the Alamo... but it was a bit disapointing, being right downtown. But it's a must-see.

Lone Star Brewery used to have the world's greatest collection of cool taxidermy. And it was the Lone Star Brewery!! I mean... that alone...

The U.S. Army Medical Museum was amazing. May have the name wrong... it's been a while. But it was the history of the Army Medical Corps and is a fantastic museum. It's been almost 20 years since I lived down there and hung out in San Antonio on occasion. But those were some of the places I liked.

If they are gone/irrelevant/lame now... my apologies.

Cheers,

Sirhr