• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking of cutting my 26" .308 down

RedGoat

3.14=PI.E
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Houston, TX
I currently have a 26" .308 DTA barrel that shoots great, but I'm wanting a short barrel for my DTA rig and the .308 is the best candidate.

My question is would it be ill advised to cut down a 26" barrel to 16"?

- Will it affect the current accuracy level of the barrel?

- Is 1:10 twist enough for a 16" barrel?

- If the barrel is melonite coated can you cut it down?

I know the alternative is to sell the current barrel and buy a 16", but at least wanted to know if just cutting down my barrel was an option. Thanks for the input.

Re: Thinking of cutting my 26" .308 down

Accuracy should not be affected.

Velocity, obviously, will be.

A smith/machinist with carbide tooling should have no problem cutting it down and recrowning, even though it's been melonited.

Many report improved accuracy with shorter barrels.

I would go 18" just to be on the safe side. I have read several times on here that 308s tend to gain most of their velocity in the first 16-18 inches, and after that is about 20-30fps/inch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wallace11bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many report improved accuracy with shorter barrels.

I would go 18" just to be on the safe side. I have read several times on here that 308s tend to gain most of their velocity in the first 16-18 inches, and after that is about 20-30fps/inch.</div></div>

Agreed.

Im not an expert on the DTA rifles, but I was in a shop that I know well yesterday, and saw this little rifle. Is this what you have, only with a longer barrel? From what I understand, you can buy optional barrels in different lengths, and calibers.

photo.jpg

22" is about the best for maneuverability and LR performance, Although i have shot my 20" AE MKIII to 950y with no problem at 450ft elevation.

I suggest 20-22"

Question: What distance do you shoot most with your 308?

The whole point of the DTA platform is interchangeable barrels/bolts. If you want a different length pipe for your DTA, have one made, rather than cutting one down. I have a 22", 18", and 16", for my Covert, all with different twists. Sure, there is some overlap, but each one serves a specific purpose. If the cost is a factor, I'd suggest waiting or buying used...once it's cut, there's no undoing it. JMO.

20" is ideal for a .308, but if you want shorter I wouldn't go any less than 18" if you still want to keep the Long Range Performance pretty consistant.

all depends on what your realistic expectations are, if you are good with a 600 yard and below good accuracy rifle, why not go 16 inches, just decide where your max range goals are and go from there

I understand I can just purchase another DTA barrel, but at $1000+ for the barrel/extension I would rather spend around $150 with a smith to have it cut/crowned...

At this point the only downside I see to cutting my current barrel is that it is a 1:10 and not a 1:8 so I won't be able to shoot the heavy .30s subsonic...

As for application of a 16" .308 it would be a hunting rifle (deer and smaller) and I would shoot steel with it out to 600y regularly - occasionally stretch it out beyond that just to prove that I can and maybe fuck with other guys on the range that don't think it will shoot out past 100 yards because it's so short...

My main reason for wanting a 16" barrel is so that I can get the max benefit from the DTA rig. What's the point of having a rifle that can be that short and not utilizing it. I know it gimps the 308 but if I want to stretch the rig out I can spin on the 7SAUM barrel and shoot out to a mile. I love this rifle and it loves my wallet....

Something that I over looked and didn't think about is that the barrel is fluted. Anyone heard of any issues with cutting down a fluted barrel.

The only determent I have been able to find via search are aesthetic complaints. I could careless about how it will looks. The barrel behind the 30BA muzzle brake will be hidden by the Covert hand rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goatphius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something that I over looked and didn't think about is that the barrel is fluted. Anyone heard of any issues with cutting down a fluted barrel.

The only determent I have been able to find via search are aesthetic complaints. I could careless about how it will looks. The barrel behind the 30BA muzzle brake will be hidden by the Covert hand rail. </div></div>

Did that with my .260.....not a problem.

a friend of mine has an 18 inch barrel and while it is very nice to walk and handle, hits at 750 yds are a bit harder than with longer barrels for some reason, I will be cutting my 25 incher the 20 in a month or so and that should be plenty short for anything.
cheers.

Just wondering which DTA System do you have??? The Covert or the Scout? I believe the scout has the longer Fore Arm Rail which if you go any shorter than 20inches then you're barrel will end up inside of the Rail. I could be wrong though. The covert has the shorter fore end which makes it more practical with the 16inch barrel setup and it'll be extremely handy little rifle.

One of the .308 barrels I have for my Covert is an 18" 10-twist from Mark Gordon at SAC (shown below). I was mistakenly under the impression that your 26" would be an 11-twist, which might not have performed as well at 16" length. If you're really wanting to cut it down, maybe 18" would be a good compromise with your 10-twist barrel. I have been extremely happy with the 18" from Mark. I think it's a good compromise between long and short. The OAL of the 18" barrel/rig is almost identical as when it's wearing the 16" w muzzle brake.

Don't get me wrong, the original 16" from DTA has performed phenomenally well. It really doesn't give all that much up to the 22" barrel. But sometimes the 16" can be too short. There's not much hanging out of the chassis when you go to grab it, and the blast from a 16" pipe is definitely more noticeable that the 18". I probably split my use evenly between the 16" and 18" barrels, only rarely do I put the 22" on. YMMV.

Covertw18Barrel.jpg

Had my mind made up on the 16" but something else just popped up that is going to throw a wrench in that plan. I have a magnetospeed chrony, and with the 16" there isn't enough tube sticking out past the rail to attach it. I'm going to have to measure the magnetospeed and figure out how much clearance I'm going to need....

FWIW, the MagnetoSpeed won't work with the 18" barrel pictured above either. It's close, but just not quite enough overhang...I was seriously bummed when I had to break out the Chrony and the tripod (LOL).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, the MagnetoSpeed won't work with the 18" barrel pictured above either. It's close, but just not quite enough overhang...I was seriously bummed when I had to break out the Chrony and the tripod (LOL).</div></div>

Well shit

I've read that magnetospeed is supposed to be working on mount that will work with a suppressor. If thats the case then the 16" wouldn't be an issue. Does anyone have any intel on the magnetospeed suppressor mount?

I spoke with Garet @ Magnetospeed and he said for $125 they will build a mounting system that uses spacers, so it can be used with or without the suppressor attached.

Problem solved

Well it is now said and done and here are the before and after pics... 26" cut down to 17"

26" unsuppressed (sexy poolside pose)
tumblr_mblmmhEWiF1rhsh6ho1_500.jpg

Suppressed
tumblr_mblmnl3lis1rhsh6ho1_500.jpg

17" unsuppressed (it's dark and blurry... I know she deserves better)
tumblr_mblmhyeLRl1rhsh6ho1_500.jpg

Suppressed next to fully extended 16" .300blk
tumblr_mblmj8uJZk1rhsh6ho1_500.jpg

And now to the more important stuff... can she still shoot???

I did a quick 100y zero and 5-shot group with SWammo 175smk/win brass
tumblr_mblmkwPzip1rhsh6ho1_500.jpg

Not looking too bad for the first group shot out of the newly cut 17" barrel. Lets stretch it out a bit.

600y 5-shot group SWammo 175smk/win brass (CTC)
tumblr_mblmo3VbKc1rhsh6ho1_500.jpg

I was a little worried about cutting the barrel down since she was already such a shooter, but now all worries are gone. Mark @ SAC did the barrel work and I highly recommend him. He will be doing all the work on my upcoming 7mm barrel.... can't wait!

Also got my Magnetospeed in with the suppressor mount and it has functioned flawlessly. I started doing some work on a load for the new 17" barrel. Loaded up some 208 amax & RL-17 in some once fired win brass. Loaded long @ 2.97" COAL just kissing the lands.

44 - 2302
45 - 2328
45.5 - 2338
46 - 2349
46.5 - 2403
47 - 2402
47.5 - 2457
48 - 2454
48.5 - 2492
49 - 2518
49.5 - 2578 (ejector swipe)
50 - 2592 (ejector swipe)

My goal was 2500fps, so I plan to load up some more rounds in the 48.5-49g range and play around with jumping them .02" - see if I can find something accurate.

Forgot to mention that I got a flush cup TAB gear sling, and let me tell you offhand shots have never been so easy. Standing/kneeling/seated that 500y steel plate just couldn't get a break! The combination of the support of the sling and the handiness of the rifle has renewed my interest in positional shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMulhern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now...you've got a pistol!!</div></div>

A pistol that shoots .3 MOA @ 600 yards and can throw a 208gr bullets supersonic out to 1200 yards. Can't wait to get a 7mm barrel so I can see how it shoots as a rifle....

Yeah, thats were I'm debating of just getting 7mm only. For my everything I want to do. Having a feeling, that once I slip in the 7mm barrel. I'll forget or push my 308 barrel in the back of my armory(gun safe), and be lost forever. Then you can never go wrong with a 308, and the history it has. Then there so much fun to play with.

If you think you will put the 7mm in and never use a different barrel, you are defeating one of the main reasons for getting the DTA.... versatility. With the DTA you are paying a higher upfront price for the ability to have a lower cost point for future caliber choices.

This was the main reason for cutting the .308 down. I knew I was going to get a 7mm barrel and didn't want to have two barrel the same length, and the .308 just so happens to be one of the best candidates for being fired out of a shorter barrel. I agree that the DTA with a 17" barrel is crazy short for a rifle, but why have the option and not use it. Also I never fire my DTA without a suppressor attached.

Another great benefit of the DTA platform is that you can practice with your .308 and throw in your barrel burner for competitions. Gives you the ability to practice with the same scope/stock/trigger without putting wear on your competition barrel.

Was talking more thoughts of 7mm being my multi-task. Having my 308 as my plinker in terms. While trying not to cause favoritism for each other barrel. Even knowing, reloading both of the rounds. There isn't a major price gap. That we all can manage with.

Just some thoughts here from what we are doing and have been sucessful with. I can only tell you what works for us - as development of this system was from lessons learned in the field.

I dont know what the exact OD dimensions that you have at the reciever or the muzzle on your DTA rifle, however - if this helps; consider the following points - twist rate, rifling, chaimber cut and barrel profile.

Were shooting a 1 in 10 twist barrel in 16" and the weapon performes SUB MOA. What you should also know is that the rifling is 4 groove pattern on the Border Barrel from the UK that is shown in this pic with the Rangemaster Quadlite 4 lug Action on the STAKLER. We utilize two profiles standard and heavy tactical - we favor the heavy tactical profile as this is more beneficial at distance with the shorter barrel (16")

We generally run 168-175's gr ammo (including M118LR) through this system - chaimbers are cut in the UK by Border Barrels.

On the US made barrels that we also use on our builds feature 5R rifling. We sometimes modify the twist rate to optimize the barrel for a specific load. We additionally stiffen the barrel profile as well on the shorter profile barrels. Typically we are using this for the 175gr M118LR and we cut .308 chaimbers to optimize for these loads.

Instead of cutting down a original OEM barrel - You may want to check and have a custom barrel turned for your specific project specs. and performance requirements.

It might be worth your while. Best of luck on your project.

IMG_6782.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drake Associates</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just some thoughts here from what we are doing and have been sucessful with. I can only tell you what works for us - as development of this system was from lessons learned in the field.

I dont know what the exact OD dimensions that you have at the reciever or the muzzle on your DTA rifle, however - if this helps; consider the following points - twist rate, rifling, chaimber cut and barrel profile.

Were shooting a 1 in 10 twist barrel in 16" and the weapon performes SUB MOA. What you should also know is that the rifling is 4 groove pattern on the Border Barrel from the UK that is shown in this pic with the Rangemaster Quadlite 4 lug Action on the STAKLER. We utilize two profiles standard and heavy tactical - we favor the heavy tactical profile as this is more beneficial at distance with the shorter barrel (16")

We generally run 168-175's gr ammo (including M118LR) through this system - chaimbers are cut in the UK by Border Barrels.

On the US made barrels that we also use on our builds feature 5R rifling. We sometimes modify the twist rate to optimize the barrel for a specific load. We additionally stiffen the barrel profile as well on the shorter profile barrels. Typically we are using this for the 175gr M118LR and we cut .308 chaimbers to optimize for these loads.

Instead of cutting down a original OEM barrel - You may want to check and have a custom barrel turned for your specific project specs. and performance requirements.

It might be worth your while. Best of luck on your project</div></div>

Every post an ad. This is why you haven't earned my business. OP said $1k for a new barrel was too steep and you're selling him on something 4x the price no matter how you try to disguise it.

The bear -
You didnt read my posting clearly as evidenced by your comments
"Every post an ad. This is why you haven't earned my business. OP said $1k for a new barrel was too steep and you're selling him on something 4x the price no matter how you try to disguise it."

I am not selling him a barrel or a rifle - he already has a great rifle and system.

I simply mentioned some thoughts on if he were to consider a custom barrel. There are plenty of barrel builders who would make something custom for way under 1k.

My appologies as I didn't mean to offend you (or anyone else) on someone else's thread. I forgot, we are a vendor on this site and I guess some advice on what worked for us on a 16" barrel must be misconstrued as a sales pitch.

Now that that is said, can we get back to helping the gentleman that had a legitimate question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drake Associates</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bear -
You didnt read my posting clearly as evidenced by your comments
"Every post an ad. This is why you haven't earned my business. OP said $1k for a new barrel was too steep and you're selling him on something 4x the price no matter how you try to disguise it."

I am not selling him a barrel or a rifle - he already has a great rifle and system.

I simply mentioned some thoughts on if he were to consider a custom barrel. There are plenty of barrel builders who would make something custom for way under 1k.

My appologies as I didn't mean to offend you (or anyone else) on someone else's thread. I forgot, we are a vendor on this site and I guess some advice on what worked for us on a 16" barrel must be misconstrued as a sales pitch.

Now that that is said, can we get back to helping the gentleman that had a legitimate question. </div></div>

I did read your post. I also went through all of your posts since March of this year(I only stopped because I got bored) and literally EVERY post yall make is hocking something that YOU sell, complete with specs and photos, even when not requested. You only post in threads pertinent to YOUR products. You've paid your money, so you have every right to and that's your prerogative but it rubs some people the wrong way; and I'm not the first to take notice.

Most vendors on here are a member first and selflessly contribute KNOWLEDGE whether they can make a sale on it or not, and they earn their sales and reputations as a result. I don't want this to be misconstrued as an attack, I don't know you personally and don't have a problem with your company, but I know when I see a thread that you've posted in, it's gonna be accompanied by a sales pitch, details and photos.

I'm sure Drake makes a fine product and has knowledge to offer outside of what they sell, I'm just asking for some objectivity in your posts, not opportunity. There's a time and place, and I think history here speaks that you take care of the community, the community takes care of you. Ask Impact Data Books, ask Tab Gear, ask Vortex. Loyalty here is unwavering and it's not based on a sales pitch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MattDamnit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do it</div></div>

Really....

I'll assume you didn't read anything in this thread and are just posting two word comments to pad your post count. Fuck off if you don't have anything to contribute.

Velocity from a 18" custtom barrel will probably be faster the from a 20-22" factory barrel. Oh and ur going to need a brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaliShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Velocity from a 18" custtom barrel will probably be faster the from a 20-22" factory barrel. Oh and ur going to need a brake.</div></div>

DTA factory barrels are "custom" barrels; mine is a custom Krieger 1:10....

Why would I <span style="text-decoration: underline">need</span> a brake for a short barrel .308? I would think that if I wasn't using a suppressor 99% of the time I would rather not have a brake so it isn't quite as loud... with the blast being so close to my face.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaliShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Velocity from a 18" custtom barrel will probably be faster the from a 20-22" factory barrel. Oh and ur going to need a brake. </div></div>

Why's that? Tighter chamber? Sharper rifling?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaliShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Velocity from a 18" custtom barrel will probably be faster the from a 20-22" factory barrel. Oh and ur going to need a brake.</div></div>

DTA factory barrels are "custom" barrels; mine is a custom Krieger 1:10....

Why would I <span style="text-decoration: underline">need</span> a brake for a short barrel .308? I would think that if I wasn't using a suppressor 99% of the time I would rather not have a brake so it isn't quite as loud... with the blast being so close to my face. </div></div>

I think it depends on the design of the brake. If it disperses gas up and back toward the shooter, then no bueno. If it's up and straight out the sides it might be beneficial but it comes down to concussion vs recoil and which one you're more intolerant of. Shortest 308 I've shot without a brake was a 20" but it's still a 308. a short barreled, non-braked 338, on the other hand, well you gotta have stones.

Like I said I shoot with a suppressor attached 99% of the time. So I guess you can say I'm recoil and concussion intolerant... not that I can't handle it, but it sure is more enjoyable when its reduced.

Plus able to shoot all day long with out pissing off the neighbors. Speaking of that, I need to start up some paper work. Since I'm finally back in states. I'd have to agree with you Goat, regarding to the recoil. Not saying a 308 kicks, but if your in a funny angle or stance. Less recoil, will help track the impact(if needed).