• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Thinking of ditching .40

Well I am honestly also talking with my LGS about buying my first Glock an in 9mm as well.
But mostly just to be as familiar as possible with the tools the oppressors will be using.

Do you remember the panic shortly after Sandy Hook?
The one where $500 ARs were fetching $2k+ for a couple weeks?

At least around here, it became very difficult to get any quantity of .223 or .22 or 9mm ammo for quite a few months.

People were nice about it for the most part however.
I was at a gun show where the guy picked up the last bag (and I mean sandwich bag) of 100 rounds of .223 ammo someone had on one of the tables and the guy behind him was disappointed as neither had I guess any in stock, so they nicely agreed to split it 50/50 and keep looking for more.
I gave a 50 round box or two of .22 to my LGS to hand out to needy folks as they felt best.
I donated some rounds to folks who came to the ranges and found there was no ammo at the range store for them to buy to shoot that day etc.

That was a very real issue however and the shortage was felt hard for a bit.

I worked a counter during those times so I'm very familiar. It wasn't easy to find locally but it was easy online usually for less than local gougers.

I gave a 50 round box or two of .22 to my LGS to hand out to needy folks as they felt best.
I traded enough 22lr ammo at the height of the " Shortage" for two Remington 700's, one a Sendro in 300wm an the other a 16.5" AAC in 308 The LGS was happy an so was I. They had people coming from other states to get that 22lr an once they ran out they called an wanted to buy some more. Said they would pay a higher price out right, but we just did some more trading. They rationed it out at 100 per customer.

If you are in free state that allows you to have standard capacity magazines, do as you want.

However if you are in a limited capacity state, stick with the .40 or upgrade to 10mm

The .40 S&W when used with top of the line high energy ammunition has a significantly greater penetrating ability as well as energy delivery ability than the 9mm. (Based on our actual testing), especially with hard barriers. (Now .357 Sig is also very interesting in that regards).

The reason everyone is going back to 9mm love is, cost, size, capacity and ease of shooting long strings.

The .40 is going to cost a bit more, you are going to have less capacity and it is not nearly as easy to shoot well, especially for older/weaker/female/small gun carrying folks.

What matters most is that you have a gun you can shoot well, practice with lots and carry all the time.
I have to say, I agree with most of this.
I think the .40 is probably the best defensive semi-auto round made.
When I used to shoot handguns a-lot, I shot .40 well.
I do not shoot it as well anymore. It is a high intensity cartridge.
There is a reason Glock .40's used to blow up (unsupported chamber).
Slide velocity is also high, adding to the very snappy recoil.
Now that I don't shoot handguns as much, I shoot a commander size .45 acp better than an M&P .40.
I also shoot my CZ PO7 and PO9 9mm's much better.
.40 WILL beat up the gun and the shooter more.
The best choice, is of course, get rid of all Glocks and go CZ and never look back.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Just like the title says, thinking of doing a clean out of my pistols and going to all glocks, mostly 9mm and no more .40.

All this talk of “new technology” in 9mm blah blah, and not sure if .40
Is worth it. Will be doing a couple RMR setups, and seems like Glock is also starting to focus on 9mm and get away from .40

Give me the push over the hill or reel me back in!
I switched a few years ago . My wallet thanks me . I would switch and never look back !

Well I am honestly also talking with my LGS about buying my first Glock an in 9mm as well.
But mostly just to be as familiar as possible with the tools the oppressors will be using.

If you may CCW get a model 19, if you wont get a model 45.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I got rid of all of my 40s at least five years ago. I came to the conclusion that 9mm is a better EDC cartridge and if I need more power, like for woods carry, go 10mm.

Yesterday I was shooting pistols with some friends and one had me shoot his G23. Way too snappy of a shooter for me, I was shooting 9mm and 45acp and those work for me.

E64F80DC-4A54-4D72-BC42-87590D03AE9D.png
9mm worked fine for Indiana Jones.

Reactions: MCSO1357
My main is a 40 cal, I load it way down on the 550 with lead 155's and 3 grains of Clays, the felt recoil is softer than a factory 9 with 115's. I use a 10 lb spring in my STI 2011 so the pistol will function.

Have loaded it up with 200's but only to see if I could get 200 power factor, eh I lost interest in that real quick but was fun for all 100 bullets, lol. I just shoot minor PF and enjoy the experience.

The videos of those Corbon 135's hitting a milk jug filled with water at 1350 fps are impressive.

There's a lot of versatility if you reload 40.

Been shooting 40 almost since it came out and prefer it with the exception of it being in very small pistols, in that case it's 9mm or 380. I enjoy shooting our G42 380 a lot on steel. My daughter's new Sig P365 9mm is a neat little pistol! Another all time favorite was a G33 in 357 Sig.

I don't even own a 45 anymore.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I went to 9 and ditched all other pistol calibers a few years back. Works for me. Easier on the wallet and I like only having to worry about procuring 1 caliber size.

Well got rid of almost all my personally owned .40 stuff, and got this together yesterday ?86A0DCA9-7916-43F2-97AC-A17D6890B8AA.jpeg

Reactions: WATERWALKER
I shoot .40 and 357SIG. No .45s. The .40's a subcompact carry. I don't shoot pistol competitions. The .40 was pointed at a shithead, who gave up,
after a failed attempted armed robbery of my neighbor's house. Police and paramedics came to haul the shithead away. Somehow he was not able to walk without assistance of a pair of EMTs and a gurney.

I reload the SIG, so 9x19mm performance is easy to achieve and the cost between SIG and 9mm are negligible when reloaded to the same level IME. Commercial SIG ammo however you better have deep pockets. I will say 90s in the SIG at 1600 are fun, though impractical, on milk jugs of water with pronounced muzzle flash.

OP, nice G45. Now go shoot it. :cool:

I missed this first time around, probably on travel.

A while back this came up.on a different forum. My answer was s to keep one pistol, a couple of spare mags, and some ammo. Depending.on how much you have.

My logic is based off ammo availability. It gives you an option for either buying ammo, or components if you load your own, depending on what the market is doing. When 9 mm was hard to find there was .40 on the shelves. Also, I'd you have the pistol, mags, holster, and ammo on hand there is no reason to sell all of them just to replace them in another caliber. Clean it, bag it of you like anti corrosive bags, and save it for a rainy day.

If you already sold it all, enjoy the new ones.

Got to shoot the new Glock 45 yesterday, but it didn’t go so hot. Used some reloaded 9mm ammo that I was given, and about three rounds in I was getting a bad fail to feed. Striped the gun real quick to check everything and make sure no barrel blockage and found this. Looks like the brass casing somehow split in half, leaving half in the damn barrel. Any ideas on getting it out without maring up the barrel?

Over size bore brush pushed into the case from the chamber end an pulled out from the rear. Or a tap that just engages the brass but does not touch the chamber, then tap that out with a punch from the muzzle. Last resort take a very sharp ctr punch an ease between the chamber an case collapsing the broken case.

I’ve been lightly trying to get in between the case and the chamber with no luck. Oversized bore brush may be the ticket.

What causes something like this? I don’t reload ammo and this is the only time I’ve ever shot any

I’ve been lightly trying to get in between the case and the chamber with no luck. Oversized bore brush may be the ticket.

What causes something like this? I don’t reload ammo and this is the only time I’ve ever shot any

Someone reloaded using OLD cases (probably a range pickup) reloaded one (or 10) too many times. Probably didn’t do good enough QC on brass prep when they loaded the rounds and the case was already compromised/cracked or stressed. Full case head separation when you fired the round and the extractor yanked the case head out of the chamber, leaving the rest stuck in there.

Over Pressure + over worked brass, most of the time. Were the cases you shot ever shot, in a none fully supported Glock chamber? There is a tool that takes the bulge out so the Glock bulged case will rechamber in a tight chamber of anything, but it works the brass hard over time.

Some penetrating oil might help loosen it from the chamber wall. I've used taps before on other chambers with a head separation.

.40 is a great carry round IF you can manage it well, some small hands can't, it is a snappy round vs. say, 10mm or 9mm or .45. Been carrying it for over 15 years. I prefer 10mm but it typically will overpenetrate, especially if the HP becomes clogged! The 9mm is fine, I just wanted a slightly larger hole and more momentum behind a heavier slug.

165gr. .40 is the sweet spot and with a G27 you got ten rounds of it. At close defensive ranges, I don't need a round capable of shooting flat to 200m. I need one that can power through bone and not shatter, stay intact. Momentum here is more advantageous than KE, I want a deep wound but don't exactly wanna wound the five people behind him. 165gr. @ 900fps or so ain't nothing to laugh at. And I have 30 more on the hip if I really need 'em.

I do have a G26 I could swap it out with, no change of gear, that spits out 124 +P+ @1400fps but again, I'd rather have the momentum and larger wound channel.

If I ever truly feel ungunned, I do have the same rigs for a Smith 1006, which is a damn CANNON! as well as a G29. The G27 just never left me feeling wanting.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Once you abandon the stupid myth of handgun stopping power/momentum/hydrostatic shock, and once you realize that the differences in expanded diameter between a good .355" bullet, a good .400" bullet, and a good .450" bullet are all less than a 1/4"; you then stop worrying about looking for that majical caliber and start getting serious about mastering the handgun so that you can place your puny ass bullets (regardless of caliber) where they will actually mechanically crush vital tissue.

Way more none connecting gun fights these days, than long ago for sure. But with the pussy factor of many these days I would fully understand. Besides moms basement is most likely off limits to train with live ammo in. However there are many a you tube video showing what happens when mom is not around.

Got to shoot the new Glock 45 yesterday, but it didn’t go so hot. Used some reloaded 9mm ammo that I was given, and about three rounds in I was getting a bad fail to feed. Striped the gun real quick to check everything and make sure no barrel blockage and found this. Looks like the brass casing somehow split in half, leaving half in the damn barrel. Any ideas on getting it out without maring up the barrel?

I’ve wrapped the barrel in leather and secured it in the vise then tapped out the broken case from the bore end with a wooden dowel.

I’m a decent pistol shooter. I’m by no means great, but I get by OK. The 45 ACP in a 1911 is my favorite pistol hands down. The downside to a 1911 is capacity. Even w/ hi-cap mags it’s still an issue.

I like the Glock pistols in 40 S&W & in 9 MM. While the .40 has more KE it also lacks in capacity to similar pistols chambered in 9 MM (ie G19 vs G23). Here’s the thing that stands out to me the most; the 9 MM has less muzzle flip which translates to more time on target & I can shoot it faster thus producing more holes in paper. Not to mention, I have more rounds in the magazine at my disposal. In a rapidly evolving self defense scenario, you may have to immediately engage multiple subjects. In this type of scenario it pays to be both fast & accurate. A big ass hand cannon would tend to work against you in this case.

*It also costs me less money to shoot 9 MM vs 40 S&W.

Y’all can shoot the big ass hand cannons all you want. Bad guys don’t fall “deader” [sic] when shot w/ a 10 MM. I think of them as hunting guns & novelty items. I think the Magnum Research BFR in .45-70 is really cool, but I have no desire to own one. Ever.

I’m not hammering on y’all that shoot large bore handguns. We just have a different selection criteria.

Last edited:
2011s are coming along in reliability. Price is still an issue. But for me .40 is no longer relevant. I went through the academy with a Glock 22. Worst reliability out of a Glock I had ever seen. Got issued a G17 and never had any problems. Some agencies are still issuing the G22 and not letting LEOs get their own duty carry. The large consensus among those forced to use it do not like it and want 9mm.

I do like 1911s in .45 for the fun factor. But when you shoot a 2011 or even a 1911 in 9mm the experience is really what sells me on 9mm overall.

Just like the title says, thinking of doing a clean out of my pistols and going to all glocks, mostly 9mm and no more .40.

All this talk of “new technology” in 9mm blah blah, and not sure if .40
Is worth it. Will be doing a couple RMR setups, and seems like Glock is also starting to focus on 9mm and get away from .40

Give me the push over the hill or reel me back in!

You shoot what you want. .40 isn't exactly a niche caliber so it can go either way.

So, I guess they only make these new modern hollow points in 9mm? Too bad, if they made them for 40 it would be twice as good again.

40 isn't the middle ground its a replacement for the outdated 45.

1569847009222.png

Some people think it's a pain to stock two calibers but I always have to ask. Why? Don't they sell it at the same stores? Better yet, what if they are out of one but not the other? That won't ruin your day if you can use both.

That's why God gave us 357 Magnum revolvers

With so many jumping ship from .40 to 9mm, the Major/Minor scoring system in USPSA really puzzles me. That's the only reason I want a .40 (or a 10mm and shoot .40 out of it).