• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking of replacing mid-grade ammo 22lr shooting at 50Y with PCP

I can get decent accuracy with the BSA. I've settled on the HN Baracuda 4.52 in 10.65 grain. At 40Y it's a consistent 0.5", but at 50Y it opens up to 0.75". My initial mistake was that I had lowered the regulator to 110 bar to get more shots, but the accuracy is better with 130 bar.

I don't see myself getting a consistent 0.5" at 50Y with the BSA. Probably the 0.177 caliber doesn't lend itself to such endeavor, at least not in this rifle. Also it's a pain to remove the stock to adjust the power.

That's why I bought a new air rifle in 22 cal. It's the FX Dream Tac. I'm waiting to get some JSB and FX hybrids early next week to do some accuracy testing.

I did plink in the backyard with some premier HP 14.3 gr I had and it shot decent. On full power (30 ft/lbs) it's pretty loud. On low power (15 ft/lbs) it's the equivalent of the BSA (20 ft/lbs). The trigger on this FX is brilliant with a crisp break of right below 1lb.

11hd1pR.jpg
177 is definitely harder to fight the wind with especially with light pellets.

The 22 will do better in the wind and the FX’s like the 18gr pellets shooting around 880 FPS. I usually only shoot the 18.1gr JSBs and 25.4gr Redesigns in my Crown and it loves them. It takes more air and usually more speed for the 25gr pellets. Mine Crown likes them around 930-940, but other rifles have liked them at 980. The 18gr at 880 with light wind should do great at 50 and will do ok at 100. The 25s usually do better at 100.

Reactions: nakoa01
Well after reading all this I wish I had nit done what I done. I own a few vudoos and my joy is purely groups at 50. I care nothing for 10 meters or 25yds really. And at 50 my vudoo prints little groups. As do my czs and kidds. I sold a vudoo and wanted an airgun equivalent. After doing some research I bought and fx crown in .25 cal and a 74cuft carbin fiber tank. And a Chinese 250.00 compressor. Slugs and pellets. Now I shoot a lot at night. So here wind conditions are pretty calm. I have watched a lot of videos and I am watching guys shoot under moa at 75yds. I don't think I can shoot with those guys. But it shows the rufle is capable. It is designed around the 25grn JSB and I have paid to have it tuned for that pellet. All said and done if I had sold 1 vudoo and bought 2 or 3 cases of ammo I would have been smarter. Even smarter still would have been to sell a couple of ARs and kept my vudoo. I feel like an idiot. But we shall see. If I am not happy with it I will send it down the road.
I think you made a good call, because you have several options. I came over from 22lr and sold my Vudoo to get into airguns, and I couldn’t be happier. The Vudoo can spoil you for sure! My Vudoo was the first 22lr that I felt like I could always hit the target with at 50 yards, no matter how tiny. Obviously, that didn't always happen, but it was much more often than anything else.

I have tried many air rifles since coming over and have shot some great rifles. My current Crown in 22 is one of the best rifles I have had. The Impact in 30 was very close, and the Red Wolf in 22 was very close. But I’m hitting at 50 yards with my Crown better than I have with many 22lr that I have tried. That being said, the wind picks up, and it moves those babies around a lot more than a 22lr. The Impact in 30 was much better at 100 yards because of the better BC on the heavier pellet. I shoot so much more now that I have pellet rifles.

Sounds like you started out well with a Crown, and the 25gr pellets are great in those barrels. The heavier 34gr do well also. If it is tuned well, you should be good to go. Just be careful not to expect Vudoo performance, as the wind just affects things more (has made me a better shooter). You can try heavier pellets or slugs if you want to buck the wind and still stay under 22lr costs.

Steve has mentioned earlier a guy that makes stellar air rifles and is working to try to compete with 22lr, but his rifles will cost what two Crowns cost, but you have Vudoos, so you know how that can go.

There are many options that do well, but you have to tune the rifle to the pellets. I also find this much easier than finding the right lot for 22lr. You can actually change the rifle to like pellets (some lots still do better, just like 22lr).

Reactions: Kevin1 and nakoa01
From factory it's tuned for JSB 18.1gr at 900 fps.
I just shot these 5 shot groups at 30Y with JSB 15.89 gr at 880fps.
I'm very impressed. I'm using a mid-size Caldwell shooting bag bag with no proper rear rest. With that setup I can't shoot any better than this. I think this is one of the very few times that I think the gun is outshooting me .

The next step is to shoot 18.1 gr and slugs at 50 yards with bipod and rear rest.

aW9UdJZ.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: brianf and nakoa01
Mission accomplished!

The gun is shooting in the 0.3s at 50Y.

This is indoor and yes there is a noticeable airflow.

Also, as you can see, my shooting position is not very stable with no rear rest. That explains the vertical strings. With this setup I simply can’t group better than this with any rifle.

It likes the JSB 15.89 gr at 880 FPS.

The FX 18.1 gr pellets (made by JSB for FX) didn’t shoot any better.

The 22 gr hybrid slugs didn’t shoot that well (around 1”). But those slugs need to be pushed at +900fps and with the factory setting I can’t get more than 800 FSP

@jbell I should publish this in the 6X5 thread :)

j89ay5k.jpg

ufsUMws.jpg

Glad you are finding some settings that are working and having more luck with this rifle.

I tried several slugs at different speeds, and the hybrids did the best so far. I only set the Hybrids up for squirrel hunting myself, because they are so expensive. I wouldn’t shoot them much myself. I like shooting the pellets more, because they are cheaper and probably more accurate.

Okay guys so I am in day 2 of my Crown. It should up yesterday and I got my tanks filled at local place and started shooting. For starters this gun is amazing. It is the equivalent of a Vudoo in air gun world I think. I opened it, scoped it and began shooting. My purchase came from Utah Air Guns and they were great. The crown is designed to shoot the jsb pellets. And mine is in .25 cal. So the 26grners for me. Reg was set to 125 banner spring was at max and the other wheel set on 3. They told me it would be ready to go right out of the box after air. It was. The gun is easier to shoot than anything g else I have except for the Vudoo. 50 yds no wind my avg group is a dime. A large group is quarter sized. Gun does not like slugs and shoots about mickel to quarter size groups with jsb heavys. But it's like flipping a switch when going back to the jsbs in 25. So you 22 guys I am guessing that's the 18grainers. Tonight I done a side by side comparison. I ran the bergara and my cz against the fx crown.

Bergara went .441 .465 .322 .278 and .186

Cz .187 and then an 8 shot group to finish the box of .391

FX CROWN .404 .33 .362 .340 .394 and .285

Initially i was not all that happy bc I can get 3 into one hole with one or two going a little left or right. Was driving me nuts. Seems like I am constantly touching the scope. But still at the end of the day it hangs with all my top. 22s

Flat out amazing. And it needed nothing. No trigger adjustment nothing. Truly is a dream to shoot.

Well after reading all this I wish I had nit done what I done. I own a few vudoos and my joy is purely groups at 50. I care nothing for 10 meters or 25yds really. And at 50 my vudoo prints little groups. As do my czs and kidds. I sold a vudoo and wanted an airgun equivalent. After doing some research I bought and fx crown in .25 cal and a 74cuft carbin fiber tank. And a Chinese 250.00 compressor. Slugs and pellets. Now I shoot a lot at night. So here wind conditions are pretty calm. I have watched a lot of videos and I am watching guys shoot under moa at 75yds. I don't think I can shoot with those guys. But it shows the rufle is capable. It is designed around the 25grn JSB and I have paid to have it tuned for that pellet. All said and done if I had sold 1 vudoo and bought 2 or 3 cases of ammo I would have been smarter. Even smarter still would have been to sell a couple of ARs and kept my vudoo. I feel like an idiot. But we shall see. If I am not happy with it I will send it down the road.

Not sure to follow. Are you happy or not with your decision? This post suggests you have some regrets. But your latest post indicates otherwise.

not bad for a full auto pcp. talk me out of this, please!

Reactions: Frankr
V
Not sure to follow. Are you happy or not with your decision? This post suggests you have some regrets. But your latest post indicates otherwise.

Very happy with my decision. Looking at my groups inwas like well they are ok. Once I put calipers on I was super excited. And then shot my bergara and cz next to it. Groups look about the same. And it's super easy to shoot. I bought a compressor and am flirting with a Benjamin marauder. Pellets are about to be ordered for it.

Airguns, down the rabbit hole you go. LOL

I shoot them too, old 10M stuff though, no PCP's.

Just for curiosity's sake you guys should try some pellet lube, then weight sort, etc, to see if you can squeeze out more precision.
I'm normally too lazy to do that kind of stuff myself but I like to see others try it to observe if there are benefits to it or not for them.

Air rifles can routinely shoot less than MOA in the right hands. My FX Crown 22 cal with JSB 25.39 gr Knock Out slugs can do it. Of course, the performance depends on the nut behind the buttplate.

100 Yd, 5 shots, JSB 25.39 KO.jpg100 Yd, 5 shots, JSB 25.39 KO.jpgCrown Saber 11 shots 100 yd JSB 25.39 KO.jpg
Then, of cours, my FX Impact 30 cal with JSB 44.95 gr pellets does pretty good too at 100 yds. I agree that wind will separate the men from the boys.
FX Impact 30 cal at 100 yd.jpg
IMG-3657.jpg

Wow, I dont shoot anything that well ar 100. But I did shoot 85 today. And a light maybe 5mph wind told me that inwas too far out. Lol. But ince i got the range figured out and the hold i done about 1.5 for 10 shots. It might be less. About the size of the 2nd smallest orange dot on birchwood and Casey stick ons

And from 50 to 100 was a full revolution plus 3 on elevation

First outing with the rifle at 50Y in an indoor range. I bough a tank so I can refill at the range. The Huma regulator won't be here before next week, so to get more shot to shot consistency I'm refilling every 20 pellets (with the tank it just takes a few seconds).
I tested many pellets from 8.4 to 13.43 gr. Almost all pellets shot pretty well (typically below 1" at 50Y).

The best pellet was the JSB Monster Redesigned 13.43 gr. I shot a 4 five shot groups that was pretty good. I did it again just to make sure it's not pure luck.

I'm still figuring out the rifle, but it's clearly shooting on par with your typical CZ 455 at 50Y.

HiLkmqp.jpg

T8fiOS9.jpg

PwWmdAV.jpg

Nice rig. I have been shooting big boy air rifles for a few years now. I have a springer and a PCP which is a 22 cal Benjamin Maurader. It shoots good and out to 35y it is pretty close to one hole groups all the time from a bench on a calm day. I don't shoot indoors but I would expect it to be competitive with a low budget 22 with budget bulk ammo in an indoor range. PCP's are not cheap. I bought mine used with scope, hand pump and aux tank all for $400. New retail that whole pkg today is closer to $900. A true match grade PCP is going to be closer to $2k or more depending on your choice of flavor. PCP's are not light weight either. I hunt with mine some. It is heavier than a heavy bbl tacticool 22 due to the big heavy air tank attached. What they doo well is they are quiet and usually legal to shoot in urban environment. No recoil either so great for training new shooters who may be sensitive or fearful at first.

Some of the match quality PCP's like from Walther or Anscutz or others would be tough to beat. But out at 50y and outdoor, they are not going to stack up very good with even a factory CZ if the shooter knows what he is doing and spends the time to choose a lot that works well with his rifle. For example I have attached a tgt from lot testing of a new CZ457 which is bone stock first session out of the box shot from a simple sandbag rest. The bench was indoors but the range was outdoors adding a mirage element as well. The tgt in the pic has about five lots of Lapua CX ammo or others represented but the two best lots were in the upper left at 50y in gusty wind that was hard enough to move the tgt stand at times. Even so, the groups are one ragged hole. Did not measure yet but they are about two bullet diam edge to edge and the larger groups were stringing vertically opening to about 1/2" on most. I too learned that wind will affect the vertical displacement of 22's and pellet rifles depending on the wind direction and speed. Since I was lot testing I did not hold off for wind on any of these. While the PCP has a tighter ES the lighter pellet is affected more by wind than the 22lr so, the longer the shot the worse the result unless it is dead calm. Many indoor ranges have swirls and eddy currents which while slow can be very difficult to read and diabolical to shoot in. Ask some of the indoor benchrest shooters about it. Most agree that shooting a 22 indoors may be harder than outdoors. At least outdoors the flags help with the read. My opinion, PCP is not the be all end all but if ammo supplies do not improve soon we may all be reduced to shooting air guns.

Irish

Attachments

• CX.Midas lots.jpg
    CX.Midas lots.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 60
  • CZ457 VPT.jpg
    CZ457 VPT.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 69
View attachment 7493201
The guy i was referring to in my earlier post that builds the best pcp air rifles in the world sent this pic to me yesterday.
That's fifty consecutive shots at 50y with his 40.2gr slugs going 850 fps. Done outdoors.
The other cards are 50y too.View attachment 7493210View attachment 7493211

Crazy isn't it!

I shoot ARA a lot and that unlimited card is way tough and those scores are very respectable anywhere for any rifle. In fact, the 2020 ARA unlimited outdoor national champion aggregate score over the full season was only 2289.4068. So your buddy could be national champ. For reference if you double tap a tgt in ARA, for any reason it scores a zero. I know from hard experience. I shot a state tournament this year and double tapped the 2nd bull due to a brain fart. Both shots were inside the 100 ring and I went on to shoot a perfect score which would have been a 2500 except for the zero I scored on that 2nd bull making by actual score a 2400. I went on to shoot two more perfect 2500's to redeem myself and win the match. Out of the whole match I only dropped one shot out of 200. That was outdoor at 50y.

Still the 50y outdoor results from your friends $4000 air rifle with the special slugs shoots a lot like a custom match grade 22lr with match ammo. Impressive.

Okay guys so I am in day 2 of my Crown. It should up yesterday and I got my tanks filled at local place and started shooting. For starters this gun is amazing. It is the equivalent of a Vudoo in air gun world I think. I opened it, scoped it and began shooting. My purchase came from Utah Air Guns and they were great. The crown is designed to shoot the jsb pellets. And mine is in .25 cal. So the 26grners for me. Reg was set to 125 banner spring was at max and the other wheel set on 3. They told me it would be ready to go right out of the box after air. It was. The gun is easier to shoot than anything g else I have except for the Vudoo. 50 yds no wind my avg group is a dime. A large group is quarter sized. Gun does not like slugs and shoots about mickel to quarter size groups with jsb heavys. But it's like flipping a switch when going back to the jsbs in 25. So you 22 guys I am guessing that's the 18grainers. Tonight I done a side by side comparison. I ran the bergara and my cz against the fx crown.

Bergara went .441 .465 .322 .278 and .186

Cz .187 and then an 8 shot group to finish the box of .391

FX CROWN .404 .33 .362 .340 .394 and .285

Initially i was not all that happy bc I can get 3 into one hole with one or two going a little left or right. Was driving me nuts. Seems like I am constantly touching the scope. But still at the end of the day it hangs with all my top. 22s

Flat out amazing. And it needed nothing. No trigger adjustment nothing. Truly is a dream to shoot.
Congrats man. Exactly what my results have been. I am happy to hear that you are happy so far. I know you were a little skeptical, so that is awesome for the first day. Now, you just need to keep the air flowing. Happy to hear that UA took care of you too.

Thank you. I spent the afternoon with it again. 5mph wind does crazy shit to a pellet. Went 65 got my dope and wind and put 5 in small birchwood and Casey dot. Again at 75. Then went to 92 I think it was. Crazy consistent as long as the wind was. I got 10 into an inch and a half. I never shoot past 50. Went back to 50 pellets in same spot. Super pleased with this. Already looking at an impact.

Nice rig. I have been shooting big boy air rifles for a few years now. I have a springer and a PCP which is a 22 cal Benjamin Maurader. It shoots good and out to 35y it is pretty close to one hole groups all the time from a bench on a calm day. I don't shoot indoors but I would expect it to be competitive with a low budget 22 with budget bulk ammo in an indoor range. PCP's are not cheap. I bought mine used with scope, hand pump and aux tank all for $400. New retail that whole pkg today is closer to $900. A true match grade PCP is going to be closer to $2k or more depending on your choice of flavor. PCP's are not light weight either. I hunt with mine some. It is heavier than a heavy bbl tacticool 22 due to the big heavy air tank attached. What they doo well is they are quiet and usually legal to shoot in urban environment. No recoil either so great for training new shooters who may be sensitive or fearful at first.

Some of the match quality PCP's like from Walther or Anscutz or others would be tough to beat. But out at 50y and outdoor, they are not going to stack up very good with even a factory CZ if the shooter knows what he is doing and spends the time to choose a lot that works well with his rifle. For example I have attached a tgt from lot testing of a new CZ457 which is bone stock first session out of the box shot from a simple sandbag rest. The bench was indoors but the range was outdoors adding a mirage element as well. The tgt in the pic has about five lots of Lapua CX ammo or others represented but the two best lots were in the upper left at 50y in gusty wind that was hard enough to move the tgt stand at times. Even so, the groups are one ragged hole. Did not measure yet but they are about two bullet diam edge to edge and the larger groups were stringing vertically opening to about 1/2" on most. I too learned that wind will affect the vertical displacement of 22's and pellet rifles depending on the wind direction and speed. Since I was lot testing I did not hold off for wind on any of these. While the PCP has a tighter ES the lighter pellet is affected more by wind than the 22lr so, the longer the shot the worse the result unless it is dead calm. Many indoor ranges have swirls and eddy currents which while slow can be very difficult to read and diabolical to shoot in. Ask some of the indoor benchrest shooters about it. Most agree that shooting a 22 indoors may be harder than outdoors. At least outdoors the flags help with the read. My opinion, PCP is not the be all end all but if ammo supplies do not improve soon we may all be reduced to shooting air guns.

Irish

You have to remember the air rifles mentioned aren't designed to shoot 50 yards and to compare a 10M .177 target rifle to a .22 rimfire at 50 yards is a stretch at best.

I shoot ARA a lot and that unlimited card is way tough and those scores are very respectable anywhere for any rifle. In fact, the 2020 ARA unlimited outdoor national champion aggregate score over the full season was only 2289.4068. So your buddy could be national champ. For reference if you double tap a tgt in ARA, for any reason it scores a zero. I know from hard experience. I shot a state tournament this year and double tapped the 2nd bull due to a brain fart. Both shots were inside the 100 ring and I went on to shoot a perfect score which would have been a 2500 except for the zero I scored on that 2nd bull making by actual score a 2400. I went on to shoot two more perfect 2500's to redeem myself and win the match. Out of the whole match I only dropped one shot out of 200. That was outdoor at 50y.

Still the 50y outdoor results from your friends $4000 air rifle with the special slugs shoots a lot like a custom match grade 22lr with match ammo. Impressive.

He's Mike N, the owner of Thomas Air.

As of 3 weeks ago he had shot 12,500 slugs since the beginning of October 2020, most of that was experimenting/swaging of shapes, meplats, length, weight, CG, etc, to find the slug capable of the highest precision. All this on his property.

He's also a national champion at 25M benchrest with pellets.

At some point he wants to compete in 22lr benchrest matches with his Thomas HPX. Mine should be arriving in a month :D

Hey that's great getting 2500's, WOW! Gonna be a long hard road before I get a 250 on a benchrest card.

Last edited:
I got myself an FX Impact in .25 caliber 2 years ago. I got it for several reasons but the main thing was to have a good pratice tool and have fun shooting with my son. Do to legeslation it is also much easier to shoot an airgun outside of shooting ranges here, like at my moms and friends houses and farms and similar. So I got the FX and it has been awesome. We have shot about 5000 pellets with it so far. It is the most accurate rifle I have and it is a joy to shoot it.

Here it is with my Delta Stryker before I moved it to my TRG.
1610042620688.png

Here is what 6 shots looks like from 50 meters:
1610042654690.png

And here is what 6 shots looks like at 100 meters. I did not hold/dial for wind, as you can tell.
1610042703402.png

Shot the FX at 50Y outdoor.

I also took my Anschutz 1710 HB to compare against the FX. The Anschutz is a proven shooter and can do in the mid 0.2s with Center X on a calm day.

The FX shoots better outdoor with the heavier 18.1 gr on max power (indoor it didn’t shoot any better than the lighter pellets)

With a 5 mph wind, the FX shot an average of 0.4527”

Then the wind picked up. With a variable wind of 5-7 mph:

The FX shot an average of 0.5372”

The Anschutz shot an average of 0.5248” with Wolf Match (made by Eley) and 0.4667” with SK Match

While the group size is pretty similar between the 22lr and the FX, the wind shifts the the pellets more. This also means that the FX is a great tool to practice and read the wind (what Steave123 was also saying earlier in this thread)

I’m very happy and impressed with the first outdoor results of the FX.

gKwKyEy.jpg

DmlmKya.jpg

98yp015.jpg

HeHYZpp.jpg

N1Qhzoi.jpg

Agreed. I am super impressed with mine. In no wind my gun is as good as my cz, kidd, and bergara. Real close anyways. Bergara might edge it out. But I dont shoot any if them in the wind typically.

This airgun thing is getting ridiculous.

I basically stopped shooting all powder burning rounds since I got into airguns.

Last week my compressor died after a few months of use and I’m waiting for the customer service to fix it in the next 3 weeks. Meanwhile I’ve purchased a hand pump and I’m spending all my free time pumping to refill my two tanks (yes, I bought a second tank the day before the compressor died). I thought about buying a replacement compressor instead of waiting 3 weeks, but then I figured that I’m old and fat and could use some exercise pumping…..long story short…..pumping is very tiering so now I’m back to my reloading bench (between pumping sessions). I have some nice reloads for my tomorrow’s range session. Still need another two week of pumping to fill my two tanks with the hand pump to 4500 PSI….
And yes, all this is really making me laugh :)

Last edited:
Yeah. The pump sucks. I bought one with my first Marauder and after that, I knew I had to find a better air supply!

I basically stopped shooting all powder burning rounds since I got into airguns.

Last week my compressor died after a few months of use and I’m waiting for the customer service to fix it in the next 3 weeks. Meanwhile I’ve purchased a hand pump and I’m spending all my free time pumping to refill my two tanks (yes, I bought a second tank the day before the compressor died). I thought about buying a replacement compressor instead of waiting 3 weeks, but then I figured that I’m old and fat and could use some exercise pumping…..long story short…..pumping is very tiering so now I’m back to my reloading bench (between pumping sessions). I have some nice reloads for my tomorrow’s range session. Still need another two week of pumping to fill my two tanks with the hand pump to 4500 PSI….

I'm really considering trying an fx airgun. Guy tried talking me into it 2 years ago and I really looked into it but with ammo shortages, I feel like this is a good option instead of overpaying for 22 ammo.

Which compressor did you have? And what went wrong?

I'm really considering trying an fx airgun. Guy tried talking me into it 2 years ago and I really looked into it but with ammo shortages, I feel like this is a good option instead of overpaying for 22 ammo.
DO IT. I sold a Vudoo to buy my FX Crown. I own several very nice 22s. And it shoots right with them at 50yds. I have not regretted my decision one second. I am looking forward to placing a large pellet order. The gun is tuned from fX to shoot the JSBs. And that it does very well. My gun is a 3/8 shooter at 50yds off bags no wind.

Reactions: Bradu
DO IT. I sold a Vudoo to buy my FX Crown. I own several very nice 22s. And it shoots right with them at 50yds. I have not regretted my decision one second. I am looking forward to placing a large pellet order. The gun is tuned from fX to shoot the JSBs. And that it does very well. My gun is a 3/8 shooter at 50yds off bags no wind.
For pellet purchases, buy at Pyramid Air and use NATION20 for 10% all the time. They are so busy this year, they haven’t offered bigger sales much at all. Also, tins are buy 3 get 1 free. Trenier Outdoors is the closest in price and great service.
I would suggest JSB in the 25 and 34gr as a good starting point.

I would go for it. FX has manufacturer controlled pricing, so choose where you buy for servicing more than pricing. I would highly recommend Ken Hicks at SPAW (Southern Precision Air Weapons). Call him for a better experience. He will ask how you want to shoot, how far, what ammo and will check it out and set it up for you before just shipping the manufacturer box to you (at no extra cost). He is where I’ve purchased my last 3 new rifles.
FX is super popular. My FX Impact in 30 cal was one of my best shooters, but as a bullpup, it is not for some people. My current FX Crown in the Saber Tactical chassis is my favorite rifle yet.
There are other good manufacturers out there, but you do pay for quality, like with 22lr.

Reactions: Bradu and nakoa01
How do you like that daber tactical?
It is amazing! I prefer the chassis over the laminate and synthetic. Having LOP and cheek adjustments and the ARCA rail to really get the bipod out front makes a huge difference... to me. Those are three very important things. The laminate stock couldn’t get the bipod as far out front, and so you need a bottle clamp to do that. Also, no LOP on the laminate. And looks wise, again I prefer the chassis.

E93EC9FC-9BC2-4B7B-94F4-05BAE74F4331.jpeg

Yes I think my next one will in the chassis with arca and bipod. I want the whole ball of wax. The adjustable butt plate too. Not sure if I am going to go .22 or another 25

I watched a video where a guy has one in a chassis and it looks bad ass

Reactions: Skok3y
As long as I have rifles with easy adjustability like the Crown, I would add another caliber. If it could only shoot one pellet well, then I would double up on the same caliber. (But I am also not big on having more rifles than I can shoot.) The good thing about the Crown is you can also just buy another barrel kit for the other caliber, but you have to adjust your tune. I usually don’t do that though and dedicate each rifle to something. My 22 loves both 18 and 25gr, and shoots some slugs well too, so it is very versatile. So my next one will be in 25. I am actually looking at picking up a 25 in the shorter barrel or picking up an Impact for hunting.

Wow you must have a deep pocket to get down that Rabbit Whole .
How much do you have in those wonder full air guns .
ASKING FOR A FRIEND SHE DOESN'T KNOW :)

I would go for it. FX has manufacturer controlled pricing, so choose where you buy for servicing more than pricing. I would highly recommend Ken Hicks at SPAW (Southern Precision Air Weapons). Call him for a better experience. He will ask how you want to shoot, how far, what ammo and will check it out and set it up for you before just shipping the manufacturer box to you (at no extra cost). He is where I’ve purchased my last 3 new rifles.
FX is super popular. My FX Impact in 30 cal was one of my best shooters, but as a bullpup, it is not for some people. My current FX Crown in the Saber Tactical chassis is my favorite rifle yet.
There are other good manufacturers out there, but you do pay for quality, like with 22lr.
I bough my FX Dreamline Tac from Utah Airguns. Had I seen your recommendation, I would have probably give Ken a call.
Having said that, I'm pretty happy with Utah Airguns. They installed a power plenum on the rifle (wasn't specified on the order nor their site) and did do a function/chrono test (900 fps with JSP 18.1 at max power). The regulator is also set at only 110 bars (which is good).
The rifle did come with a couple of loose screws that I had to tighten (not a big deal).

I really hesitated between the Crow, the Impact and the Dreamline.
I went with the Dreamilne after doing some reading. The only benefit of the Crown/Impact vs Dreamline, seems to be the potential to get additional power. But that additional power seems to be only necessary if you're shooting 30 cal slugs. If you go with a 0.22 or 0.25 caliber, the Dreamline has plenty of power (and it's cheaper and more versatile as you can change the overall configuration pretty easily).

What I really like about FX is the ability to change the barrel liner. I'm not planning to do that, but you basically have the grantee to not be concerned by a bad barrel (worse case scenario, you can change your barrel liner for only a 100 bucks).

Last edited:
I have a few thousand rounds that i saved for a rainy day .But i shoot about a brick a month .So i am good for a few years ;)
SO ANSWER MY QUESTION .

A typical FX rifle costs between $1000 and $2000.
Then you add a compressor and a tank to fill the gun for another $1000.
After that you buy good pellets that can shoot in the 0.3s at 50Y ($15/500 pellets).

I think my next purchase will be a Daystate Delta Wolf.
That gun is amazing. It has a built in chronograph at the end of the barrel. You can just type the speed you want, and the electronic does the rest.

• Wow
Reactions: nakoa01 and Bradu
I bough my FX Dreamline Tac from Utah Airguns. Had I seen your recommendation, I would have probably give Ken a call.
Having said that, I'm pretty happy with Utah Airguns. They installed a power plenum on the rifle (wasn't specified on the order nor their site) and did do a function/chrono test (900 fps with JSP 18.1 at max power). The regulator is also set at only 110 bars (which is good).
The rifle did come with a couple of loose screws that I had to tighten (not a big deal).

I really hesitated between the Crow, the Impact and the Dreamline.
I went with the Dreamilne after doing some reading. The only benefit of the Crown/Impact vs Dreamline, seems to be the potential to get additional power. But that additional power seems to be only necessary if you're shooting 30 cal slugs. If you go with a 0.22 or 0.25 caliber, the Dreamline has plenty of power (and it's cheaper and more versatile as you can change the overall configuration pretty easily).

What I really like about FX is the ability to change the barrel liner. I'm not planning to do that, but you basically have the grantee to not be concerned by a bad barrel (worse case scenario, you can change your barrel liner for only a 100 bucks).
Couple additional notes:
- The additional “power” isn’t necessarily to push the ammo harder. That power comes from the larger plenum, and when you have those larger plenums, you can choose between more power or more shots. Most of the time, I’m not chasing the higher speeds (because most pellets don’t need it) and instead use that available power to turn the power down and get more shots instead.
- Also, to might point of not wanting to swap barrels, I know several guys that love the swapability and tune their rifle with 3 sets of barrels, 22,25,30, and still shoot very well with all three, by only turning the hammer wheel and the transfer port. I personally haven’t found the need for that (as I mentioned before). I find what I like and stick with it.

That gun is amazing. It has a built in chronograph at the end of the barrel. You can just type the speed you want, and the electronic does the rest.

A friend of mine is a tester for Daystate so I got to shoot a couple Delta's earlier this week. Yes it was super convenient to tune the velocity with a push of the button.

Also loved that it got so many extra shots due to electronics compensating after it fell off the reg! I got 60 shots total in 30 cal with 44's going 885 fps, about 25 of them off the reg, in the 480cc bottle no less. Shot a 5 shot group that was about .9" at 100Y.

With the 25 cal Delta at 100Y I got 9 shots into 3/4" vertical and 1" wide, this was 34 gr Mk2. One shot hit low destroying my group and opened it up 1.25".

Again, this was a testing session, """and a few small tweaks are being implemented on the production rifles""", so please don't tell people the Delta is ready for sale YET, thanks. It still might be another month "or more" until the Delta will start being sent to those that preordered. Daystate and AOA want to make sure these are impressive in every way from the start.

On another note my Thomas HPX custom EFT/and Benchrest hybrid walnut target stock made by Steve Corcoran should arrive next week! Next month I'll get the 22 cal HPX! I'm getting SUPER EXCITED!!!!

It definitely looks like the next evolution in airguns. I’m on the wait list, but may skip it. The first batch finally made it to the US after a 9 month delay, due to COVID delays in the UK, but if you aren’t top of the list you will have to wait several more months to find one. Daystates are very nice rifles as well, but that baby is still another $800 over the Impact. It will be interesting to see if it is worth the extra or not. I have owned several Red Wolfs, the precursor to this, and they are nice too. I’m glad this offers much easier tunability than the Red Wolf. It has that same bullpup design of the Impact that isn’t for everybody.

I have a few thousand rounds that i saved for a rainy day .But i shoot about a brick a month .So i am good for a few years ;)
SO ANSWER MY QUESTION .
The question is too wide open. You can spend a little or a lot, just like in powder burners. You can buy a CZ or a Vudoo. You can by Golden Bullets, or CCI SV, or CenterX, etc.

You can buy $500-1000 rifles and be happy. You can by $2000-3000 rifes and be happy. Or you can spend >$4000 by guys pushing the envelope and be happy. That part isn’t much different from rimfire.

Then you have to figure out how to get air. If you are shooting PCPs, you need compressed air, as a hand pump ain’t gonna cut it. You can buy a cheap compressor for $150 and hope it doesn’t die every year. You can buy an air tank for $600 and take it to a dive shop or paintball shop and have them fill it for $10 each time. You can rent a Nitrogen tank, and depending on where you live, it could be $150-400 a year. You could buy a better compressor and take your chances with a $1000 compressor or got up to $3000-4000 for a super high end one and unlimited air for you and your buddies. Again, many different options.

Then ammo. For competitive shooting, you are going to shoot good ammo (Usually JSB) and depending on your caliber, you are spending between $0.035 - $0.08 per round for the good stuff (competition winning ammo). That is where you start saving your money. Those 25.4gr 22 JSB RDs at $0.035 are as accurate as 44.75gr 30 JSBs at $0.08 in the right rifles. I will happily sit down and shoot 300 pellets at a time quite often, and would not do that anymore with 22lr. It costs $120 to buy 500 rounds of CenterX, but my competition winning JSB 22 cal 25.4gr ammo costs $17 for 500 rounds.

If you shoot a lot or just want to shoot a lot, you save a crap ton of money in ammo, which starts leveling out the cost. It isn’t all about equipment costs.

Reactions: nakoa01 and Bradu
The question is too wide open. You can spend a little or a lot, just like in powder burners. You can buy a CZ or a Vudoo. You can by Golden Bullets, or CCI SV, or CenterX, etc.

You can buy $500-1000 rifles and be happy. You can by $2000-3000 rifes and be happy. Or you can spend >$4000 by guys pushing the envelope and be happy. That part isn’t much different from rimfire.

Then you have to figure out how to get air. If you are shooting PCPs, you need compressed air, as a hand pump ain’t gonna cut it. You can buy a cheap compressor for $150 and hope it doesn’t die every year. You can buy an air tank for $600 and take it to a dive shop or paintball shop and have them fill it for $10 each time. You can rent a Nitrogen tank, and depending on where you live, it could be $150-400 a year. You could buy a better compressor and take your chances with a $1000 compressor or got up to $3000-4000 for a super high end one and unlimited air for you and your buddies. Again, many different options.

Then ammo. For competitive shooting, you are going to shoot good ammo (Usually JSB) and depending on your caliber, you are spending between $0.035 - $0.08 per round for the good stuff (competition winning ammo). That is where you start saving your money. Those 25.4gr 22 JSB RDs at $0.035 are as accurate as 44.75gr 30 JSBs at $0.08 in the right rifles. I will happily sit down and shoot 300 pellets at a time quite often, and would not do that anymore with 22lr. It costs $120 to buy 500 rounds of CenterX, but my competition winning JSB 22 cal 25.4gr ammo costs $17 for 500 rounds.

If you shoot a lot or just want to shoot a lot, you save a crap ton of money in ammo, which starts leveling out the cost. It isn’t all about equipment costs.

Then if a guy spends a bit more he can cast or swage bullets/slugs to save more money in the long run, especially if he has hundreds of pounds of lead already.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will have to call him when I am ready to buy

BUY ONCE CRY ONCE .
HOW FAST YOU WANT TO GO HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO SPEND
THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

A typical FX rifle costs between $1000 and $2000.
Then you add a compressor and a tank to fill the gun for another $1000.
After that you buy good pellets that can shoot in the 0.3s at 50Y ($15/500 pellets).
Yep that's all spot on