• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking of replacing mid-grade ammo 22lr shooting at 50Y with PCP

I too got disappointed with the scarcity and price gouging that's been going on now for over a year with 22lr ammo. My last couple of bricks of Eley Team were 27 cents per round from Killough's. So I dived into airguns. I purchased a Rapid Air Weapon H1000X LRT in .22 cal. It's a 50 ft/lb rifle and gets 50 shots per fill. It has a 12 shot magazine and a sidelever bolt that is very fast. It's similar to working a 22lr biathlon straight pull action. The rifle is made in Tennessee. The unchoked Lothar Walther polygonal barrel shoots the H&N slugs like crazy. Slugs have revolutionized long range airgunning because you go from pellets with BC's like .030 to slugs with BC's like .085. These slugs cut wind drift in half compared to pellets. I'm shooting the 27gr H&N's at 920 fps. These slugs cost 8 cents per shot from Pyramyd Air. So every 150 round practice session saves me $15 bucks or so. The rifle is paying for its self very rapidly!
I primarily use the RAW to shoot the monthly NRL 22 "download" stages. I can shoot them in my back yard and the noise is minimal so it doesn't irritate my neighbors. Most of the NRL 22 stages don't require benchrest grade accuracy. The NRL22 targets are typically 100 yds or less and between 1 and 2 MOA.They are more about moving from position to position, awkward positions,shooting from Tank Traps, Barricades and prone/bipod using reticle holdover and holdunder for multiple distances in 90 to 120 second time frames. For these types of drills the RAW has been perfect. I attached an ARCA rail to the forend and all my Vudoo accessories transfer right over the the RAW. I also put the exact same scope on both rifles. In 2021 NRL 22 started Option 2 stages that can go out as far as 200 yds. If the winds are low the RAW can handle these stages. But if it's really windy, the targets are in the 1 MOA range and beyond 100yds - I break out the Vudoo. For an air supply I just bit the bullet and put in a nice compressor. It's an Alkin 3.0 Mariner. It fills my 90 cu./ft bottles fast and with ease.
I have entered my RAW in my local club's benchrest matches and I've beat all the 22lr guys there twice. I entered it in Briar Rabbit's 22lr Tactical match and beat all the 22lr guys there too. It's fun when you pull off an upset with these air rifles.

Reactions: Frankr and mrt949
not competing or anything, just wanted one before they are illegal in california.

tripodcartoonCapture.JPG

can remove some parts of the silencer when length is more important than being quiet....

carslingCapture.JPG

Reactions: Frankr and mrt949
The leshi-2 is sexy.
Been thinking of picking up an AEA from Utah air guns. It’s a semi auto but only about 600-800 bucks.
Won’t hang with my FX but they say they are decently accurate

Reactions: theLBC
8.99 for 22 lr ammo vrs tank refill and unless you got your own lead farm and make your own bullets they are not cheap from any company I've seen online . But I can't argue that those things are hardly the bb guns from my youth .50 cal bb gun lol I swore that had to be a type o or a joke but they are really neat just not cheap .

i am lucky that i can get free 4500psi refills at a local shop, but i did have to pay bucks up for a big carbon fiber tank so i don't have to go often,
will probably get a compressor so i am less dependent on anything.
pellets are getting more expensive but $17 for 500 isn't terrible (.22). bigger calibers do get more expensive and .50cal slugs can be $1/rd.

I need to blow the dust off of my PCP's. They've been mostly relegated to pest control duties lately.

The one thing I will say that's really annoying with airguns is that they aren't as reliable as real firearms. The rifles are more complex, given that they have to push high pressure air through the system delivered to the pellet. This added complexity creates a lot more opportunity for things to go wrong.

My prized airgun, a Taipan Veteran, has been down for months now. I made some seemingly simple upgrades to the airgun (to get a bit more power out of it), and in the process I haven't been able to get to work reliably since.

If it was legal to shoot a rimfire around my property, I would pick rimfire over airguns. But the airguns serve the same purpose as a rimfire while being legal. They are great little toys, but there's something to be said about simplicity.

Reactions: theLBC