• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thinking out loud, a reticle for the OEM crew

WIND DOTS LO:LLOLIOLLIKL<KIKL:"KJHKP_{IGFHP_{BV BNL:pVC BNP{PGCV{CXV{CV{}VC V}VCP{ {PVC V{}CVP{CXP{CXVK{}CX

BBNOIUHI)OIUHGFHJOP{OHBVKLP{PHVCBKP{CXVP{VC{}VC B:"

OPIUIOPIHGCVHJKOPHCXVOPGCXCOPXZPX{X

WInd dots JP{GFGHJ:pCXVJKP{HGCXVK{}GCXV{}GCXP{}+XZCJPGFCXJP{}GFCH}|GCXV

@Jack Master LOVE the reticle! It's easy on the eyes and provides plenty of hold overs. I absolutely hate reticles that have .2 wind marks that alternate above and below the main stadia line. For some reason, it just does not mesh with my eyes and kind of gives me a headache. Just my personal preference.

Also, I kind of like the circle around the floating dot. Makes it much easier to see the center point on lower power. I could go either way on that, but overall, I love the reticle design.

Reactions: Jack Master
Would you shoot this reticle? let us know what you think.

So after talking with frank and having a quick design meeting this is where we ended up. We added 2 small wind dots at the 1 mil holdover. This tree will handle most centerfire cartridge wind calls up to 20ish mph winds but still keep the reticle cleared up around the center aiming point.

We also kept the center circle. It draws the eye to it quickly as well as gives a defined 0.2 aiming cross to the right and the left of the center dot. It will also make the reticle easier to use on lower powers.

This reticle design is intended for newer shooters. We need something simple without the bells, whistles, and whizzbangs. I think we are getting there.

1617200782334.png

Simple reticle 1 with 1 mil dots.jpg

Last edited:

So after talking with frank and having a quick design meeting this is where we ended up. We added 2 small wind dots at the 1 mil holdover. This tree will handle most centerfire cartridge wind calls up to 20ish mph winds but still keep the reticle cleared up around the center aiming point.

We also kept the center circle. It draws the eye to it quickly as well as gives a defined 0.2 aiming cross to the right and the left of the center dot. It will also make the reticle easier to use on lower powers.

This reticle design is intended for newer shooters. We need something simple without the bells, whistles, and whizzbangs. I think we are getting there.

View attachment 7594065

View attachment 7594066
Winner! And not just for the new shooter. I am not a competitive shooter or a new shooter. I like this reticle a lot. I’m going to be purchasing a new scope soon (probably a TT or another ZCO). If this reticle was offered from either of them, I would buy it.

Reactions: WY_Chas
Yes, but not a fan of the center circle.
IMO, if you make the center dot .06-.07 there’s no need for the circle.
You won’t like it when shooting paper. March tried something similar (an enclosed, open center) and it was a bust.

Last edited:
The only difference I would make is more above

You need at least 4 Mils at the top,

Good reason is the Kestrel Speed Drop, if you can't dial the offset you can use the reticle but you need a hold under

Hold under are useful for a lot of stuff
Speed drops?!?! I heard someone say we should throw that fucking shit in the trash.

The reticles Jack Master posted look to be very useful. Not overly cluttered. What I would like to see would be about 2-4 mils above the horizontal with .2 marks or .1 mil marks alternating sides for Mil-ranging. Or a grid off to a corner with .1 mil marks offset. Like on a Nightforce Mil-R reticle. There’s an inverted T with 2 mils up and 1 Mil left and right with .1 mil marks. That works well for Mil-ranging without cluttering the rest of the reticle.

Think about lower power,

you are running and gunning 12x is better than 25x, so you'll want something to highlight that area

with some reticles even today I have to turn the illumination on to see this stuff better,

this is a ENTRY LEVEL Reticle
good point

I do like the circle. I do think that many center dots are smaller than they should be and like others pointed out are difficult to use at anything but almost max power.

The more I look at it, the only slight change I would make is to move the section on the wind stadia with .1 mil increments in toward the center so that it’s visible at the high magnification. Maybe between 5 and 6 mils. If I’m going to measure with that section of the reticle, it will probably be at high mag.

You have no clue,

The thick stadia becomes the aiming point, you obviously don't shoot like the rest of use because you make no sense

if you are 80x maybe it's messed up on lower power, but 25x vs 12x your description makes little sense

these lines aren't super thick

View attachment 7594065

View attachment 7594066
Clean and simple
I like it.

“Apples and Oranges”

Concur.

I found the reticle I was referring to and it’s considerably smaller than I remembered and the one above.
I retract (and deleted) my clueless observations.

Attachments

• 1617152527810.jpeg
    1617152527810.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Reactions: ZG47A
I agree with this too.
Who is holding over 10 mils? Why would you hold 10 mils when you could dial it
6 mils gets 308s to 700yds and 243s out to 800 yards.

I really think this is enough tree in the competitive world
This would be my final design at this reticle.

This reticle has 4 mils above the horizontal main stadia with 0.1 milling bars in the top mil.
I kept the 9 mils of tree height but trimmed the edges of the tree a bit to limit the width. Could add a 10th line the same width as 8 mil if needed.
Circle or no circle is a big question. Some will hate it, some will like it. I could really go either way. I think the circle would make the reticle more useable on lower powers.

0.2 hash marks are 0.1 above and below the main stadia. (0.2 mil total)
1 mil hash marks are 2.5 mils above and below the stadia (0.5mil total)
Center dot is 0.05mil (3/16" at 100yds) - this could be changed if needed. (0.085 would be a 308 bullet at 100yds)
Tree dots are 0.1 at the full mil and 0.5 at the 1/2 mil

I struggle with not having something at the 1mil hold over tree mark. Adding just a 1 mil and 1/2 mil dot might help this area but I know Frank wants it open.

View attachment 7593903View attachment 7593904

Just an FYI, but your concept without the center circle is similar to Sightron's MIL-HASH-H reticle -

Sightron-MIL-HASH-H un.jpg

Still not sure yet which one I prefer, but it's darn close. I really like your open top design. Well done, sir.

Nice work Jack, I like it. I would pick the option with the center circle. If someone like SWFA put this in their fixed power line of scopes, I think they would sell a lot of them.

One of my favorite reticles is the NF MLR2, but I wish there was a hold in between the .5 mil and the cross hairs, and a .75 hold too.
I like the circle idea mentioned above.
Good aiming reference especially if your rifle is a dual purpose weapon...

Jack's reticle looks very reasonabe.

A couple of general comments: thin circle in the center might be pushing the limits of lithography. Depending on the scope design there is a limit on how thin of a line you can make in terms of angular units.

When I needed to make a reticle for a sub-$1k scope, I came up with a design that became Meopta's MRAD (attached).

If I were to revisit it, I would extend the vertical a little higher. Since that design came about, I started adding a reference point about 4-5 mrad above center (March reticles I designed are more recent, but are also aimed at a fairly high end user).

Another change I would make is remove some of the half-mrad dots. Maybe only keep the ones near the center so that the tree looks less cluttered.

If you guys think this will work, I can sketch one up.

The center dot in this one is 0.06mrad and the four short 0.2mrad long hashes are there so that when you go to lower power it looks like a small cross. If it is just a dot I tend to lose it.

The way the dimension on this one are, it is intended for something like a 5-25x, 6-24x, 5-30x, etc riflescopes and the base dimension is 0.2mrad.

For something like a 3-12x or 4-16x, I would probably go with a more sparse tree that is based on 0.5 mrad instead. Jack's reticle is near perfect for that if the lithography can pull it off and if it is not too thin on low power.

ILya

Attachments

• Meopta_MRAD_thumb.JPG
    Meopta_MRAD_thumb.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 234
Just an FYI, but your concept without the center circle is similar to Sightron's MIL-HASH-H reticle -

View attachment 7594191

Still not sure yet which one I prefer, but it's darn close. I really like your open top design. Well done, sir.
The only thing similar between that one and ours is the 0.2 hashes on the horizontal stadia. Everything else is different. Above is different and the tree below is WAY different.
I see some pretty big differences. The biggest being the more open tree we are doing with just the full and half mill dots rather than the 2 tenths. This is so you can see you bullet impact better. And we limited the tree to what shooters might actually use. Who uses a 2 mil wind hold at 1 mil holdover? that's a 35mph wind with a 308.

Reactions: ZG47A
The only thing similar between that one and ours is the 0.2 hashes on the horizontal stadia. Everything else is different. Above is different and the tree below is WAY different.
I see some pretty big differences. The biggest being the more open tree we are doing with just the full and half mill dots rather than the 2 tenths. This is so you can see you bullet impact better. And we limited the tree to what shooters might actually use. Who uses a 2 mil wind hold at 1 mil holdover? that's a 35mph wind with a 308.
Seriously, calm down. I see all those differences too. Just wanted to point out that you haven't really re-invented the wheel and if you are thinking about patenting your design you might run into some difficulty.

As someone who's most serious focus is on hunting, I really like what you did with your reticle as it's a good, clean, simple design. Friend, we're not that far apart.

Last edited:
@Jack Master I like where your reticle has evolved, except the circle. I would increase the size of the floating dot, or maybe make it a floating circle (donut) .05 to 0.1-mil diameter with a very tiny dot in the center? With a FFP, it will have a precise dot at higher power, and at lower power it will look like a bigger dot.

Even though I personally favor .5 mil hash marks over .2 mil, I can live with the simplicity you have designed into it.

Your design for the Christmas tree aspect of the reticle is the best, and most simple I have ever seen, as having an uncluttered view is important, and most Christmas tree reticles obscure your view. My favorite reticle so far with tree is the Tremor 2 because of its uncluttered view compared to most others.

My favorite reticle is the original MSR, and for me it almost perfect.

Last edited:
This one is almost perfect except Im not crazy about the dots on the main windage stadia, would rather have hash marks. I like the chevron because at the tip its infinitely small.

Attachments

• PA3-18X50FFP-ATHENA-BPR-MIL_15.JPG
    PA3-18X50FFP-ATHENA-BPR-MIL_15.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 169
For someone who is just getting into this stuff, I really like the boxed in center dot. I have a sightron that has a center dot and I like it. I own a Nightforce that has a floating crosshair and I would prefer a dot. This whole experiment is based on lower end scopes, so high end guys will not be using them. This means that newbies like me need a useful reticle that draws the eye to the center and is clear enough to be useful to people who want to get started in longer range shooting. Shooting long range is a process, so something that helps people along without breaking the bank would be a positive thing. Don’t kill the process by asking too much for the targeted buyer.

Reactions: lash and WY_Chas
Something like the zcomp mpct3 reticle without the fatal funnel would be pretty awesome im a fan of the hollow dots but would probably not use them in the main vertical stadia and go with a more traditional approach.

@lowlight: Thanks for kicking this off!

I appreciate that it's an 'entry level reticle' ... my only .02 would be a wish that it only appeared on scopes with strong reliability/repeatability - I reckon it would be really important to not tarnish the reticle in a less-than reliable overall scope design.

Something simple but bombproof would work for me - such as the tried and tested SWFA or the old NXS lines ... seems like part of the issue with the rash of new OEM scopes is not only the clunky reticles, but also the lack of reliability, because that's not what most brands have wanted to prioritise in the past ...

I don’t own a ton of optics...most of them don’t have a Christmas tree and that doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I’m shopping for another right now, it probably won’t have a Christmas tree. If I’m the target market, or perhaps a little above it, you can skip the tree...or simplify it to the point that it doesn’t make me cringe when I look through the scope. I don’t need a flash back to math class every time I put a gun on target.

As a general thing, I think most trees have waaaaaaay too much height/depth. If I wanna hold for a 1600 yard shot using my 50 yd zero, they’re perfect. Except that’s f’ing stupid. The guy that just made a 4000+ yd impact stated he was holding in space....seeming to imply that you can shoot stuff roughly three miles away without a tree and using significant hold over/off.

ETA:
I think @Jack Master puts forth some pretty useable options here...this thing really gained speed, feels like they all dropped in there in the time it took me to type this. I like the simplicity of those designs.

Last edited:
I can understand the logic having a royalty fee for an official "SnipersHide Christmas Special" branded reticle, but if you want to really change the industry, you're better off coming up with some exceptional reticles and then just licensing them out royalty-free.

A reticle like that is exactly what I am searching for in my next scope..
Currently using an old Vortex EBR 2C. Love the simplicity but hate the half mil hash marks on main elevation and windage. Then in the christmas tree they switch to 1/4 mil windage dots.

Jack's reticle looks very reasonabe.

A couple of general comments: thin circle in the center might be pushing the limits of lithography. Depending on the scope design there is a limit on how thin of a line you can make in terms of angular units.

When I needed to make a reticle for a sub-$1k scope, I came up with a design that became Meopta's MRAD (attached).

If I were to revisit it, I would extend the vertical a little higher. Since that design came about, I started adding a reference point about 4-5 mrad above center (March reticles I designed are more recent, but are also aimed at a fairly high end user).

Another change I would make is remove some of the half-mrad dots. Maybe only keep the ones near the center so that the tree looks less cluttered.

If you guys think this will work, I can sketch one up.

The center dot in this one is 0.06mrad and the four short 0.2mrad long hashes are there so that when you go to lower power it looks like a small cross. If it is just a dot I tend to lose it.

The way the dimension on this one are, it is intended for something like a 5-25x, 6-24x, 5-30x, etc riflescopes and the base dimension is 0.2mrad.

For something like a 3-12x or 4-16x, I would probably go with a more sparse tree that is based on 0.5 mrad instead. Jack's reticle is near perfect for that if the lithography can pull it off and if it is not too thin on low power.

ILya

I don't like your reticle you have design flourishes which waste time and distract

we can drop the circle too many crying

Ted Drop the circle

The circle makes a lot of sense at lower power in the FFP. I like the reticle and find it to have everything you would need for most applications. Simple and efficient.

Reactions: gnochi and 260284
To @koshkin point the lines might have to get thicker than what I have drawn them to make the lithography work. Each of the reticles below have a thicker line weight to simulate what this will look like.

Circle or No Circle (or Box or Point)​

I want you guys to see the reticle at lower power to understand what that center circle is doing for a 1st focal plane. Each of the views we have been looking at are about 16x (12 mils wide) and then 25x (8mils wide)

Remember this is a design for OEMs that ENTRY LEVEL! not top 20 Competition users. Fellas the will be hunting with thier optics too. As a Brand new Shooter looking for your first scope what did you look for?

From the comments I see new shooters say they like the circle and competition snobs hate it.

Here are 3 examples of what we could do. Circle - 0.2 Hash mark (Box) or just the end of the line (point) on 8 or 10x

Circle 8-10x​

Simple Reticle-SH 10x.jpg

Box 8-10x​

Simple Reticle-SH center 0.2 hash 10x.jpg

Point 8-10x​

Simple Reticle-SH center no line 10x.jpg

Circle - 25x​

1617206507736.png

Box 25x​

1617206581946.png

Point 25x​

1617206641871.png

In the end the center circle is a fine aiming point on lower magnifications, its a 0.2 reference at higher magnifications. No one likes it because its not what you are used to seeing. You might have though different on Day 1.