• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

THINKTANK- Lightweight single shot 416 barrett

Down Under Hunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
I have the opportunity to use a tac 50 action and set up a purpose built LR rifle for 600 LB deer. Just throwing around ideas for components and ideas to bring the rifle in to make a portable outfit weight wise. .416 Barrett proposed ?

Lets say TAC 50 action single shot, 32 Lilja fluted barrel .416 plus brake( to be decided)...What is the smallest profile you could use without selling the gun short ?

Jewell trigger..

Rings and optics NF with ACI and anti cant.

Stock open to ideas ?

Bipod open to ideas but most likely S serie HArris

Anyone with some clues and ideas and where they think a gun like this would come to weight wise when finished ?

Looking at using the 450 grn RMB AL tips.

Will be testing these over Christmas in the R and D 416 and looking for 3150-3200 fps, accuracy and heaps of foot pounds and frontal projectile mass on the target.

Any ideas

Cheers all.

DUH

Re: THINKTANK- Lightweight single shot 416 barrett

Mate, I dont know why you want to go to the trouble of a BMG based case and the massive increase in size and weight over a .408 based case. If you assume 3150-3200ft/s out of the .416Barrett case with the 450gr bullet and compare the 370gr .375"cal RMB at the same speed out of a .375CT or CT Imp, the .375 will win out when it comes to trajectory and only just lacks the retained energy at 1500yds. I have a McMillan BMG action sitting next to a Barnard P-Chey action, and the appropriate barrels, and if you want a rifle that will be carried around the hills for Sambar, then in my view there is no question that the .375CT is the best bet. Just my 2cents worth, but having shot my .375 accurately past 2000yds, I reckon you are hard pressed to go past it.

I agree with aussiearmourer on this. A .408-based cartridge is a better balance of pros/cons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiearmourer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mate, I dont know why you want to go to the trouble of a BMG based case and the massive increase in size and weight over a .408 based case. If you assume 3150-3200ft/s out of the .416Barrett case with the 450gr bullet and compare the 370gr .375"cal RMB at the same speed out of a .375CT or CT Imp, the .375 will win out when it comes to trajectory and only just lacks the retained energy at 1500yds. I have a McMillan BMG action sitting next to a Barnard P-Chey action, and the appropriate barrels, and if you want a rifle that will be carried around the hills for Sambar, then in my view there is no question that the .375CT is the best bet. Just my 2cents worth, but having shot my .375 accurately past 2000yds, I reckon you are hard pressed to go past it.</div></div>

AA,

You raise some vaild points.

I am just considering what the bigger frontal area of the 416 and bullet weight might do on impact. I would assume probably a vastly bigger wound channel ?

I dont doubt that the ballistics of the CT are top of the tree, what I'm looking for is a rifle that will do the most damage at impact inside 1500 yards. I wont be shooting them further than that and for me it is irrelevent if the rifles range is 2200 or 3000. My gun is used to hunt with, simple.

I just want stopping power and huge wound channels.

I want to stop them as quick as possible and have carnage at the point of impact to give me something to follow up. I have seen how effective the BMG is and want to find the middle ground between 338 and 50 I quess

The area I hunt in is dense tea tree and if they get a 100 yard head start I may not find them. I have been undecided on where to go past my 338 edge . I have not been convinced that a CT will be that much better at stopping them quicker and doing more damage than the 300 smk does now ? Maybe wrong, but have not seen any CT guys putting holes in sambar at range yet. Most guys are only plinking targets ? If I could see some LR wounds on sambar from the CT I would be convinced easily.

Just throwing it around as I think the 416 could be put into a package low 20 lbs rigged up. CT would be similar ?

Would love to see damage from both rounds on sambar at range as these bigger rounds would give me what I want betwwen 1000-1500 that I cannot get from the EDGE.

Thanks

DUH

"I think you will be very happy with the .416"

If you ever check out the Barrett forum and look at the 416 ammo section there seems to be allot of problem to be worked out. If he is just shooting to 1500 at aminals I would go with a cheytac based cartridge. 338/408.408,375/408 (and Kirby Allens variations) would all be devistating. Its just like realistate in hunting- location location location. Properly placed they would all do the job.
maybe even the 338 lapua at that distance would be cheaper?

Yeah go with the 416
smile.gif

I'm not decided either way yet.

I know placement is critical, but I also know that a lung shot sambar at 1000 with the 300 smk can travel a long, long way. This is the question ?

Damage at impact with heaps of clues left behind is what I am after.

Is there anyone on here that has pics of CT shot big game at range. They seem to be rarer than rocking horse shit ?

What contour barrel would you put on the barrett to be portable and shootable ?

Not discounting a straight 408 either. I just think the 40 cal might offer a bigger hole for them to handle.

DUH

I dont have pictures of anything big shot with the .375CT, but I have shot several pigs from long range and the damage is extensive. If you hit a Sambar in the lungs with the .416 Barrett and the bullet doesnt strike any substantial bones, Im pretty sure you wont have any more impressive performance than the same shot with a 350-370gr bullet out of a .375CT.
I have a .416" barrel here which I will be building into a shortened BMG based rifle in the new year in the Tac 50 profile, and it is a LOT heavier than the barrels for my .375CT. Combine that with an action that would be easily twice the weight of a Barnard P-Chey, and you wont have a rifle that is anywhere near the weight of a .375CT. Go with whatever you think is best, but a 370gr RMB at 3200ft/s is going to be one hell of a Sambar stopper at any distance

.416 9,300lb feet of muzzle energy that will flat out put the hurt on any living animal on the planet. Go with the .416

DUH, I shoot 400 grn 375 pills out of the Chey-tac at 3150. As far as assuming a big hole will solve your problem consider this. I have shot a lot of scrawny 100 lb. whitetails with 50 cal. expanding pills traveling around 1800 fps. Guess what, they run off some of the time. Also I read of a gentleman who torched a 50 BMG off and the bolt came loose and sent the 3 lb bolt through his upper body. I cant remember the specifics of where it entered or exited but it did go all the way through him. If my memory serves me he drove some distance and obtained assistance.
The moral of the story is big holes dont allways kill things and I have personally witnessed an animal dragging several feet of intestine with no blood trail.

I dont have any pictures but I shot a big hog with a 50 BMG pushing a 750 gr. A-Max. It hit him about the middle of the rib cage angling rearward. There was a gaping hole on the off side. Yep, he run off with very little blood. Lots of acorns and other nasty stuff scattered about but hardly any blood. He went about 150 yds. Anyway, no firearm that is man portable is going to put game animals down that are poorly hit. I suspect if anybody on this planet makes a habit of shooting at game animals at 1500 yds, he should consider getting a good hound and keep him close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiearmourer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont have pictures of anything big shot with the .375CT, but I have shot several pigs from long range and the damage is extensive. If you hit a Sambar in the lungs with the .416 Barrett and the bullet doesnt strike any substantial bones, Im pretty sure you wont have any more impressive performance than the same shot with a 350-370gr bullet out of a .375CT.
I have a .416" barrel here which I will be building into a shortened BMG based rifle in the new year in the Tac 50 profile, and it is a LOT heavier than the barrels for my .375CT. Combine that with an action that would be easily twice the weight of a Barnard P-Chey, and you wont have a rifle that is anywhere near the weight of a .375CT. Go with whatever you think is best, but a 370gr RMB at 3200ft/s is going to be one hell of a Sambar stopper at any distance</div></div> .

AA,

When you say alot heavier most CT 375's I know of are around 25- 29 lbs anyway. So even though the sheer barrel profile and action size are there, some Ct's wont be very far away from the bigger gun anyway.

Just as a matter of interest, what is the BMG build going to be employed for ? Sounds awfully similar to the idea we're speaking of ?

DUH

LOL,
how about a 416 Barret based 458 IMP. wildcat?
with some Lehigh .458 528 grns or GSC SP 566 grns

The .416 Im building is not the Barret, but pretty similar to it. It is a BMG case shortened by about 8mm, with the body blown out and a 35degree shoulder, necked to .416.
It is going in a McMillan Tac50 stock, and has a barrel made bt Ordnance Precision(pretty sure thats the name of the company that made the barrel, they're in Melbourne somewhere) on a Jongmans repeater action. When I get it finished, I will post results, but I already know it will be heavier and bulkier than my .375CT.
Its up to you mate, but you really will achieve the same result with a lot easier to handle rifle. A .408 or .375 can be made down to 16-17 pounds and still be comfortable, check out Dave Viers' rifles. It really comes down to what you want though mate, if you want a BMG based cartridge, knock yourself out. Im just trying to give you other options as to what will also do the job for you.
Cheers

That shortened one sounds interesting ?

Either way they will both kill, just trying to look past the ballistic wow factor and see damage on the intended targets .

Your right about the CT as a more managable package. For me its a lack of first hand testimony on big stuff at range that is holding me back. Until then, I cant help but wonder and think " will this bullet just needle at these distances, as the 300 smk does. Just got to hit a big bone or you have a problem. (sambar specific)

I just dont like the little needle hole the 338 does past 1000 yards. Just gives me little to follow on the ground from even well placed shots ? This is the area I hope that a bigger system may help. We'll see hey.

Cheers

Aussie,
That sounds like along the lines of a .460 Styer case capacity to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiearmourer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .416 Im building is not the Barret, but pretty similar to it. It is a BMG case shortened by about 8mm, with the body blown out and a 35degree shoulder, necked to .416.
It is going in a McMillan Tac50 stock, and has a barrel made bt Ordnance Precision(pretty sure thats the name of the company that made the barrel, they're in Melbourne somewhere) on a Jongmans repeater action. When I get it finished, I will post results, but I already know it will be heavier and bulkier than my .375CT.
Its up to you mate, but you really will achieve the same result with a lot easier to handle rifle. A .408 or .375 can be made down to 16-17 pounds and still be comfortable, check out Dave Viers' rifles. It really comes down to what you want though mate, if you want a BMG based cartridge, knock yourself out. Im just trying to give you other options as to what will also do the job for you.
Cheers</div></div>

If you went with the ABS wrapped CF barrels you could cut some serious weight out of that rifle. With a Barnard action or Tac 50 action and a high quality barrel core that's been wrapped you will have a rifle that's very capable of what you want to do.

The hitch that I do see immediately is getting that light weight rifle down under, since, if I remember right, the 'Roo guberment has big issues with replacing and importing barrels?

I was reading the website of the barrel wrapping company last week. 900 bucks US gets the barrel blank turned down to the core size, wrapped, finished, and chambered if I remember right.

Heavy Varmint contour in .308 finished at 26" finishes out at 2.5lbs instead of the normal 8lb. With a rifle the sizes you're talking about you can probably come back to a full 10lb of weight savings.