• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

This is too much fun

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    First time shooting 22LR at 300 yards. 50% hit ratio on a 10x10 plate with 13.4 mils of elevation and 3 - 3.5 mils of left wind hold using CCI SV HP ammo.

What a blast this is........

IMG_20210705_152408.jpg

I forgot how much I enjoy rim fire until I got my little RPRR. My only issue is I'm kicking myself for not buying the Bergara .22...

The reactions at the range when you ring the gongs is pretty comical too. "Whoa is that a .22 shooting xxx yards?!" Or my favorite "man I heard your impact but didn't see the plate even wiggle "

I would take CCI Quiet 22s with a GIANT silencer and ring the targets during lulls at public ranges. No one would hear the shot then a target would ring and everyone standing around BSing would stop talking to look around to try to figure out why a target is ringing on its own.

Now your other toys will be ignored.
    Man, ain't that the truth! I got my B14R (lefty) a few months ago and I've barely even touched my centerfires since. I can shoot the .22 in the backyard--the berm is exactly 85 yards from the porch. Too close to be interesting with the big guns, but plenty of distance for the rimfires. Even when I make my monthly hour+ drive to the club, I'm still shooting the B14R more than anything else.....basically putting 10 rounds through the 6.5 to verify it's still zeroed, pack it up and back behind to the .22 for the rest of the day. Even with the current stupid ammo prices, I don't feel the sting of shooting half of a brick.......and as said, NO RELOADING when I get home

You have me thinking about buying a Bravo buttstock to try on one of my 180-xray chassis. The narrow, pointy, asymmetric comb is the only thing I don't like about the KRG X ray series.
    You could always try a Bravo cheek piece first. I know some here have even switched their bravo for the other. Although I don’t understand that as the Bravo is comfortable as it can be.

It is Stooooopid Fun. Ain't it!!!!

I have a few B14R's and V22 setup as loaner rifles. I have yet to see a person, regardless if they are 7 or 70yrs old, smack a 12" plate at 440y and turn around and not have the biggest shit eatin grin on their face. My 1st words are always, "Yep. That's nearly 4 1/2 football fields away. And you just hit it with a squirrel rifle." (Albeit, an expensive "squirrel"rifle.)

I only have bandwidth to be good at one shooting thing, and it involves running around with a pistol
    If the earth were moving (no general relativity argument here), it would be relatively safe from my pistol skills. ;)

As I get older, and I am by no means old or out of shape, I have found that getting back up off the ground after shooting prone for a while is more of a chore than anticipated...

If the earth were moving (no general relativity argument here), it would be relatively safe from my pistol skills. ;)

As I get older, and I am by no means old or out of shape, I have found that getting back up off the ground after shooting prone for a while is more of a chore than anticipated...

LOL

Ironically, I can get in and out of prone (at 55 with borderline shit knees) without a problem. The oddball PRS positions, not so much.

I'll get in a couple of PRS or NRL (depending on which club I go) matches this year, but they take a back seat to my handgun addiction. Particularly now that my performance and skill has taken a step change up, making it to A class as a senior (55+) and am starting to see occasional Master-level performance in stages and classifiers.

Man thats awesome it's addicting. I actually just made up my mind I'm letting my CZ457 ProVarmint go and getting a Bergara steel barrel...like the 700 footprint and I run that stock on my 6.5 fits me like a glove. Was shooting today and some guys broke out their suppressed 22s it got me wishin!
    First time shooting 22LR at 300 yards. 50% hit ratio on a 10x10 plate with 13.4 mils of elevation and 3 - 3.5 mils of left wind hold using CCI SV HP ammo.

View attachment 7664497

Reactions: 308pirate
    Man thats awesome it's addicting. I actually just made up my mind I'm letting my CZ457 ProVarmint go and getting a Bergara steel barrel...like the 700 footprint and I run that stock on my 6.5 fits me like a glove. Was shooting today and some guys broke out their suppressed 22s it got me wishin!
    The best time to buy a suppressor is 6 months ago. The next best is yesterday. The worst time is tomorrow…

Very nice! I just picked up a Savage Mark II. It’s basically a TRR-SR barreled action in a Boyd’s At One stock. SWFA 20x42 on top. I’ll be taking it out to 200 this weekend.
    3F7E3DEC-D944-4979-A980-4568008D27A9.jpeg

0D23E3EA-9084-49CC-8DE5-EBBA398FB3F2.jpeg

You could always try a Bravo cheek piece first. I know some here have even switched their bravo for the other. Although I don’t understand that as the Bravo is comfortable as it can be.
    I bought the old style Whiskey-3 comb which is rounder and symmetrical and like it much better.

Reactions: RFutch
    Shot 12" steel plate @ 400 yds this last Friday . Went to the range house to settle up when we were done and the range owner asked who was shooting the .22 at steel. He joked he thought he was losing his mind because he was hearing a sound like somebody flicking the rim of a wine glass on his range over and over again.

@jdodd and I were able to hit a 12” square steel at 500 yds this weekend. Ran out of scope travel and had to hold 6.5 mils additional elevation. Somewhere around 30 mils total. It really is fun stuff.

@jdodd and I were able to hit a 12” square steel at 500 yds this weekend. Ran out of scope travel and had to hold 6.5 mils additional elevation. Somewhere around 30 mils total. It really is fun stuff.
    First round hit? Repeatable?

People kind a look at me funny when I tell them how much I spent on my 22 but they get a big smile when they shoot it at 330 yards 😎

It is Stooooopid Fun. Ain't it!!!!

I have a few B14R's and V22 setup as loaner rifles. I have yet to see a person, regardless if they are 7 or 70yrs old, smack a 12" plate at 440y and turn around and not have the biggest shit eatin grin on their face. My 1st words are always, "Yep. That's nearly 4 1/2 football fields away. And you just hit it with a squirrel rifle." (Albeit, an expensive "squirrel"rifle.)
    Aces

I have a CZ457 ProVarmint that is an absolute sick shooter. It's one of these unicorn weirdos that will eat anything and the accuracy is hysterical. I run my old B14 HMR stock on my Proof/Bighorn.....stock was so comfy for me I just sold the barreled action and kept it moving forward. Every time I get behind the CZ I fidget around so much I always think 'damn I wish I could get as comfy as I do behind my Bergara'. So I keep going back to wanting to get my 22 trainer set up as close to center fire as I can and going with Rem700 footprint....it's drawing me in! I have a local who is interested in buying my CZ....could be getting on your text list for a steel complete soon!

• Love
    Reactions: A&8's
    Man that is awesome! I'm looking forward to stretching out my 22. As a newish member to a range with steel out to 2k for the past year I'm camped out at the 1 mile steel non-stop as I've been waiting my whole life for the opportunity to do so. Now it's time to get the 22 legs stretched out as past 300. Nice work on the 500!

Good old RGGC.
    I still have not hit t

What a blast this is
    Good ole RGGC. I have yet to hit the 300 yd with my 22. I picked up a kestrel recently and haven’t had a chance to try. But all the free ballistic apps have been useless.

View attachment 7664497

Good ole RGGC. I have yet to hit the 300 yd with my 22. I picked up a kestrel recently and haven’t had a chance to try. But all the free ballistic apps have been useless.

Funny you should say that......all my dope, including that for all the 22 LR ammo I have on hand, is generated with JBM ballistics and it's always good enough to get me so close that the first shot is either a hit or a close miss and I can easily correct.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Reactions: 6.5SH
    Good old RGGC.
    I still have not hit t

Hornady app works great for their bullets.

Strelok works great. Granted, you have to pay for the extras, but the free version does work.

You need good Chrono numbers and true the speed and bc to what your real world dope is across varying weather. Then all of them work just fine.

Reactions: camocorvette
    Good old RGGC.
    I still have not hit t

JBM ballistics worked well enough with CenterX and my kidd rifle that I was able to plug in the MV from the box and go and win 3 consecutive matches at Texas Precision Matches. This was a couple of years ago at this point, but I have been nothing but pleased with this free online ballistics software. To that point, a buddy at the match asked for my dope- he shoots a vudu- and he went and won that event. Neither of us so much as shot over a chrono. As far as I know, he is still using that dope for his 22lr matches. If you are having issues with JBM ballistics, it is probably you...

Yeah I would recommend Sterlok. Get chronologically numbers. Go to the 300y range at Richwood and get your dope at 100, 200 and 300 then true Strelok. Lapua's published BC of .172 is not good. Luke at the Lapua test center said he starts at .123 and tweaks from there. Once I tried that I was pretty dialed in then did the tweaking.

Reactions: camocorvette
    October 17th is the next one. I'll be there with my new BXR
    That's the weekend of my local USPSA match (Miamisburg) but they might not have it because of earth moving work at the range. If the pistol match is nixed, I'll be at Richwood and you can laugh at my positional skills.

Lima Sabres is also doing one on October 23