• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thompson performance center LRR 6.5 creedmoor- trigger issue

I sent mine in and the gunsmith got it back in 3-4 weeks. Appears to work ok after he messed with it. But still a crappy trigger. Does anyone out there now if you can get a new trigger that will bolt in. The gun shoots really close groups. And looks nice. It’s a shame such a nice looking gun was made with such a shitty trigger.
Nope, I already tried with a trigger tech diamond and it’s not even close. Maybe a machine shop could change things but at that point it’s probably cheaper to just buy a cheap rem 700 clone action to throw in it.

Nope, I already tried with a trigger tech diamond and it’s not even close. Maybe a machine shop could change things but at that point it’s probably cheaper to just buy a cheap rem 700 clone action to throw in it.
That’s crap to say that but it’s probably true. I’m gonna just keep mine for a while and hope they will come out with the fix. Can’t believe that a well known company as T/C would stoop this low and not take care their customers. You never hear that other Guns manufactured by them have issues like this. I’m sure they monitor the posts. And they should. I worked for a fortune 5 hundred company in manufacturing and we would NEVER stand for the C/S to handle problems this way. The customer service was always the highest priorities ( not happy customers meant not happy sales. ) = an attention getter coming.

I dont own a lrr but have a compass gen 2. Looking at the trigger pictures early in the thread, the trigger looks just like the gen 2 trigger but they half ass added the safeties to it. The compass has the safety on the back of the bolt. I wonder if you could retrofit the gen 2 trigger to it and add the safety to the back of the bolt? I know it's not ideal and not what you paid for but you'd atleast have a safe functioning rifle instead of being up shit creek.

That’s crap to say that but it’s probably true. I’m gonna just keep mine for a while and hope they will come out with the fix. Can’t believe that a well known company as T/C would stoop this low and not take care their customers. You never hear that other Guns manufactured by them have issues like this. I’m sure they monitor the posts. And they should. I worked for a fortune 5 hundred company in manufacturing and we would NEVER stand for the C/S to handle problems this way. The customer service was always the highest priorities ( not happy customers meant not happy sales. ) = an attention getter coming.
I’m going to guess it’s due to the joint venture of S&W and TC building this rifle. Sadly that’s what happens, it was a starter rifle for me so it is what it is. I’m on to bigger and better things but I’ll use it for other things later.

I’ve shot over 2000 rounds in my LRR since last summer and haven’t had any issues with the trigger. What exact does it do and what caliber are you all using?

I picked the LRR up to get started in precision shooting and loaded up on the accessories for when I build one.View attachment 7609547
I’m using a 6.5 Creedmoor. The trigger will get caught up with the safety and causing the safety switch to fire the weapon. I have to take the rifle completely apart to untangle it and for my rifle to work properly.

I’m using a 6.5 Creedmoor. The trigger will get caught up with the safety and causing the safety switch to fire the weapon. I have to take the rifle completely apart to untangle it and for my rifle to work properly.
I have the issue as well but I just have to lift the bolt handle and it resets. I didn’t have a issue till I lightened the trigger pull but now even if I set it back to the factory pull weight it does it. I might take the safety out of the trigger. I built a new rifle which has taken over as my main gun so the LRR isn’t going to see much use now. Plus I shot the barrel out so it needs that and I think the wife is going to shoot it.

Reactions: BGFR658
Apologizes for bumping, but I've been having the same trigger issue with my rifle.

From taking the lrr apart and tinkering with it, I've noticed that if you action the bolt too quickly, the trigger safety blade will seize up 100% of the time. To my understanding, the blade is disengaged from a gravity affected spring running on a channel in the upper part of the trigger. Actioning the bolt slowly will prevent the trigger issues.

Crappy rifle overall though, outside of good looks, I've never had this many issues with a firearm before. I've never managed to even get within 2MOA at 100m; trigger issues all the way headspace issues.

Reactions: CharlieSiva
Apologizes for bumping, but I've been having the same trigger issue with my rifle.

From taking the lrr apart and tinkering with it, I've noticed that if you action the bolt too quickly, the trigger safety blade will seize up 100% of the time. To my understanding, the blade is disengaged from a gravity affected spring running on a channel in the upper part of the trigger. Actioning the bolt slowly will prevent the trigger issues.

Crappy rifle overall though, outside of good looks, I've never had this many issues with a firearm before. I've never managed to even get within 2MOA at 100m; trigger issues all the way headspace issues.
I didn’t have a trigger issue till I lightened it up but I’ve had 1/4 MOA groups at 100 yards constantly. With mine the trigger locks up if you bump it the wrong way, I haven’t taken it apart yet. Once the new rifle is back from the Smith this one is getting overhauled, hopefully taking the trigger safety out. The wife is going to use this rifle and she seems to have zero issues with the trigger oddly enough.

I didn’t have a trigger issue till I lightened it up but I’ve had 1/4 MOA groups at 100 yards constantly. With mine the trigger locks up if you bump it the wrong way, I haven’t taken it apart yet. Once the new rifle is back from the Smith this one is getting overhauled, hopefully taking the trigger safety out. The wife is going to use this rifle and she seems to have zero issues with the trigger oddly enough.
Hopefully she comes back working wonders!

I ran into that same issue, believe it or not. The trigger is held to the barrel by two non-locking smooth pins that have very loose fitting tolerances. I noticed that actioning the bolt with some force (or bumping/dropping the rifle) dislodges the locking pins from trigger, along with forcing the blade disengage spring outside of the trigger channel; effectively bricking the firing mechanism. Ironically enough, for a rifle designed to be a precision rifle, my rifle didnt come loctite on it, let alone on the pins holding the trigger to the rifle...

As much as I don't want to admit it, it took me ~8 months to figure out why my rifle was shooting at 5moa at 100m; the trigger was busted.

I'll shoot some pics here tomorrow night showing what I mean when I get back in town, unless I can find some old pics on my laptop.

January 30 2021, last weekend we took the new lrr out to sight it in, trigger locked up after fewer than 20 rounds. Today we took it apart to see why. For any of you metal fabricators out there it would be an easy fix, why tc doesn’t fix it is beyond me. The spring that holds out the trigger safety rides against the actual trigger in a less than adequate slot. Mine had come out of the slot and was binding between the trigger and the housing. My son is a mechanical engineer and saw the issue clearly and is devising a fix. We saw these posts while looking for any TC information on the issue amd determined that trying to get a solution from tc was going to be an ordeal. One more thing, apparently no one in the gun community has bothered to show a parts breakdown on the trigger assembly and an explanation on its design. I hope to remedy that.
I was checking out my trigger as well. While not a trained engineer, I wonder if a different type of spring could be adapted to function?
I haven't disassembled my trigger to get a look at the top connection point. I hope it has one function.
I wonder if a notch in the back face of the bar of the trigger, and a groove around the hub the safety lever engages could hold a spring through recoil.
Has anyone disassembled their trigger down to parade rest? Did ya take pictures you'd care to share?

On another angle to try to rectify this issue, I think a TriggerTech Special, without bolt release, would physically fit into the slot milled into the action. I've ordered one, and will test out my theory when it arrives. I plan to fit stainless shim stock to either side, to get the trigger centered.
Has anyone tried something similar? What were your results?

I looked up custom springs, and one of the first results Google provided was this outfit.
I took a total SWAG at what would be needed to change out the current trigger safety lever arrangement to something a wee bit more servicable for my needs, which are a safe, servicable trigger equal to the accuracy potential of the rifle. I don't have my rifle at hand...I'm travelling, heading for a hitch on my ship, so I won't be able to actually measure what I think needs doing til mid December.
Anyway, if you look at this spring, you may be able to visualize the arrangement I'm intending.

Last edited:
Since a few of you have asked on this forum I have put together a PDF file of what I did to fix my TC LRR. It includes pictures and explanations that should help you understand the issue and exactly what I did. I no longer own the LRR, mostly because of this problem and the fact there are no aftermarket triggers available for it.

Attachments

• TC LRR Trigger Issue.pdf
    868.3 KB · Views: 249
Reactions: jetech
I was checking out my trigger as well. While not a trained engineer, I wonder if a different type of spring could be adapted to function?
I haven't disassembled my trigger to get a look at the top connection point. I hope it has one function.
I wonder if a notch in the back face of the bar of the trigger, and a groove around the hub the safety lever engages could hold a spring through recoil.
Has anyone disassembled their trigger down to parade rest? Did ya take pictures you'd care to share?

On another angle to try to rectify this issue, I think a TriggerTech Special, without bolt release, would physically fit into the slot milled into the action. I've ordered one, and will test out my theory when it arrives. I plan to fit stainless shim stock to either side, to get the trigger centered.
Has anyone tried something similar? What were your results

cetmemannh,

Check back on the forum. I posted a PDF file that contains pictures of my TC LRR trigger breakdown and an explanation of what I found and my solution.

Cheers.
Dougie G.

cetmemannh,

Check back on the forum. I posted a PDF file that contains pictures of my TC LRR trigger breakdown and an explanation of what I found and my solution.

Cheers.
Dougie G.
I had mine looked at twice by two top notch gun smiths. One has build ones for PRS comp. Said the stock trigger was junk. Spring issues. So I sent mine back for the 2nd time. Just got it back with still a little sticky trigger. I messed with the trigger by loosening it up some. And now it seems to be just fine.
But would like to know if your deal works. If mine does start messing up I’d like to what your talking about. (I couldn’t fine your PDF file.)

I had mine looked at twice by two top notch gun smiths. One has build ones for PRS comp. Said the stock trigger was junk. Spring issues. So I sent mine back for the 2nd time. Just got it back with still a little sticky trigger. I messed with the trigger by loosening it up some. And now it seems to be just fine.
But would like to know if your deal works. If mine does start messing up I’d like to what your talking about. (I couldn’t fine your PDF file.)
I uploaded the PDF file to this forum with my Dec 13 post above. It should be visible since it shows 10 people have viewed it.

The PDF is attached to my 13 Dec post listed above.

Dougie G.

The problem with all the LRR triggers is much worse. Just try one thing with your rifle: Fix the trigger safety in the rear position, for example with a rubber band or some tape so that this safety inside the trigger is deactivated. Hold your rifle in a vise or hold it really tight. Now close the bolt very fast (of course be sure the gun is unloaded!).
What will happen now is that your rifle will fire without pulling the trigger.
Yes, that is the real problem of this useless TC LRR trigger. It is not safe!

The triggers on your LRR rifles come factory adjusted to around 500gramms. That is very light. When you close your bolt fast enough, the trigger rest releases the sear because of the vibration. Now all the force from the firing pin spring on the sear is resting only on the trigger safety bar. That is why you have such a hard trigger pull suddenly! The trigger failed already and only the little trigger safety is preventing the rifle from shooting.

Here is a little video showing the problem:

I can not understand, that a "Performance Center" as they call themselfes can sell rifles with such a dangerous defect!

If I was in the US, I would take a lawyer immediately and sue the manufacturer. S&W is about to get rid of T/C.... I wonder why...??!! Do they want to avoid an expensive warranty recall? Because that's exactly what they should do with the LRR rifles.

Reactions: jetech
I’m based in Switzerland and also own this rifle with the defective trigger. I sent the rifle back to the official importer here in Switzerland, who was very helpful and had his gunsmiths check and analyze the problem. They just came back saying:
  • The trigger is faulty by design (I have this in writing)
  • T/C does not provide any replacement triggers
  • There are no aftermarket triggers available
  • In fact, they have stopped producing this rifle
  • T/C are not planning on issuing an updated replacement trigger
  • T/C have asked their distributors in Europe to take the rifles back and reimburse the full price
The gunsmiths feel they could repair the defective trigger by manually reproducing some of the defective parts, but then there would be the question of liability if anything would happen with the re-engineered triggers. Thus, they will not repair it. I fully understand their concern.

Thus, they are refunding the original price to me and recharging it to T/C.

My advice to you guys is to apply some pressure on your distributors and ask for a full refund. If they are doing this in Europe they may as well apply the same policy in the US. Good luck.