• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thompson performance center LRR 6.5 creedmoor- trigger issue

Jesilvers1999

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2020
Greenville, SC
Hey ,

I have a Thompson performance center LRR in 6.5 creedmoor with about 450 rounds though it. I am having some issues with my trigger. 85% of the time it fires just as it should, but the rest of the time its like the trigger safety is hanging up and causing the trigger to get stuck. I have to really pull on the trigger to get it to fire. I have adjusted the trigger both ways trying to see if it will help the issue but so far nothing has helped. Need less to say when this happens it ends up being a pulled shot.

Has anyone else had this issue. I have called Thompson they said I could send it in to then but could be 8-12 weeks to get it back. Is there a way to remove the trigger safety.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket trigger that will work for this rifle.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: CharlieSiva
Whoa, I just read this and wondered if I wrote it, knowing I've asked others. So I have the same rifle and identical issue! They told me they are very light on work now, and should be 3-4 wks.

Heads up I had one hang, and more force didn't make it fire, I pulled my hand off the trigger while still on target and it fired. That forced me to stop trying to push thru, and just send it back.

Its in the mail now on the way there. I'll update on the results. Mine has 220 rounds thru it, so fairly new.

It's on the way back! Replaced trigger and tested. Will update once I have it.

Yup same issue, out of the box. I did notice if you trow the bolt up and back down it release the trigger mechanism.
Looking for upgrade, awful trigger feel. Very unpredictable.
My HS HTR breaks like an icicle. The timney on my AR-10 is better.
VERY POOR trigger......stunning and disappointing.

Attachments

• 07LRR-7.jpg
    07LRR-7.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 237
Yup same issue, out of the box. I did notice if you trow the bolt up and back down it release the trigger mechanism.
Looking for upgrade, awful trigger feel. Very unpredictable.
My HS HTR breaks like an icicle. The timney on my AR-10 is better.
VERY POOR trigger......stunning and disappointing.
I

Currently bought same rifle have 20 shots in it four of the 20 hard trigger pulls repeatedly happening got frustrated came home try to reenact it couldn't for about 12 pulls and finally reenacted it sending it back what a disappointment

Reactions: Genin
Currently bought same rifle have 20 shots in it four of the 20 hard trigger pulls repeatedly happening got frustrated came home try to reenact it couldn't for about 12 pulls and finally reenacted it sending it back what a disappointment
I sent mine back to tc 2 weeks ago, hopefully have it back soon. They said 3-4 weeks. I love the gun, extremely accurate out to 7-8 hundred yards! Just has trigger problems.

I bought my T/C LRR last July and have had the same problem with the trigger safety jamming. I even had the rifle fire after taking my finger off the trigger! scarred the crap out of me.. I have sent my rifle back to T/C two times now. This last time i got it back the fore grip had deep scratches in it. And it still has the problem, salt in the wound. Rather than calling I wrote an email detailing my story hoping to get a better response than me sending it in, they replace the trigger, I get it back and it still has an issue. But all I got was a form letter asking me to send it back. It has had three malfunctioning triggers including the original. I'm sure at this point I have a $1300.00 paper weight. I have asked for my money back but no luck. Anyway I had read these posts after my experience in the beginning of my problems with this rifle but did not post anything. So if I could save someone else the headache please consider your option when choosing a rifle. And please post if you have had the same issue.

Keep us updated on this as I will do also .. sounds like a manufacturer defective that NEEDS to be addressed!

I just bought one last weekend. I’ve fired 9 rounds, 3 or 4 of those shots I had the same issue. Not too happy at the moment.

Mine is currently @smithandwesson getting looked at. I will be calling jan4 when they get back from holiday break to get more answers

This will be only affecting a small %of these rifles, however it’s enough to push me away from them and into the arms of Bergara, having issues with a US manufacturer living in the UK is a nightmare. Sadly (or not as the case may be) it’s looking like a HMR Wilderness in 6.5cm next month cash permitting.

So before I took mine out again this afternoon I decided to try and adjust the trigger. The trigger pull screw was set all the way to the lightest pull(all the way counter clockwise) I found that after I got 1 to 1-1/2 turns clockwise, the trigger issue went away. Hopefully I have solved the problem for good, and I hope this will help somebody else down the road.

Reactions: Johnerz
I received my llr back from tc today and rite out of the box had same trigger lock up. Called them immediately and they said I need to send it back. I told them they need to design new trigger,rep said they can’t do anything until I send it back. Not sure what to do, I don’t think it’s right for them to have it more than me.getting tired of this crap!

Have you tried the method James69033 found to work in the post just above your last post?
Its something simple and would only take a few minutes to find out. If it works , fantastic, if not you have not lost anything by trying it (y)

Been having the same problem pretty sure the triggers set too light I wanted to replace it anyways but has anyone found a compatable trigger for it anywhere

I received my llr back from tc today and rite out of the box had same trigger lock up. Called them immediately and they said I need to send it back. I told them they need to design new trigger,rep said they can’t do anything until I send it back. Not sure what to do, I don’t think it’s right for them to have it more than me.getting tired of this crap!
DIspitz, Sorry to hear you are having the same issues I have experienced. I have given up on Thompson / S&W. As I noted in my earlier post my rifle has been back to S&W 2 times now so three different triggers with the same problem. My solution to solve the problem is to buy a new riffle. I have ordered a Savage in 6.5 CM. My only other precision rifle was a Savage model 10 in .308 I built into an MDT chassis. I plan to do the same with the new Savage and retire the Thompson LRR to the back of my safe. Maybe at some point Thompson / S&W will send out a recall if they ever figure out the problem.

Johnerz, On my first two triggers I made no adjustments. On the first I just went to the range and the trigger jammed then fired on its own. So I stopped using it and shipped back before I had a chance to adjust anything. On the second trigger it jammed strait out of the box no adjustment. Sent it back. On the third trigger It felt better so I did adjust the trigger. Out of the box it was at 3.5lbs. I tried 2, 2.5, 3 lbs the rifle seemed to work fine. Settled on 3 felt good, I did not want to go lighter as I don't trust the riffle. Went to the range 20 rounds went smooth trigger was crisp thought it was fixed. Somewhere around 30 rounds the trigger jammed up again. And continued to jam so with my experience with self dicharge when the trigger jams I packed it up.

Reactions: Stoweit
To the group,
I did contact Timny about them making a trigger. They said they have no plans to make a trigger for this rifle. I have not contacted any of the other trigger manufacturers..

I have been having the same problem with the trigger. After about 65 rounds the trigger started sticking. It couldn't have happened at a worse time as I was right in the middle of a class! The trigger is junk. I sent it in and they replaced the trigger however it hasn't helped, it still sticks.

I contacted Huber and they stated that they may do something in the future But then again they may not.

I am going to try to adjust the trigger on it and see if that helps. I found that closing the bolt a bit rougher seemed to help a little but it still locks up. I'll not be a repeat customer as they don't seem to care enough to handle the underlying issues with the trigger And take care of their customers.

I wish that there was a lemon law for firearms.

Reactions: Pollyd
In doing some more research some have modified it to use a Rem 700 trigger. While others opted to modify what was there. Something about adding a roller pin.

Also adding an Area419 knob would help in regards to avoiding getting cut by the safety.

In doing some more research some have modified it to use a Rem 700 trigger. While others opted to modify what was there. Something about adding a roller pin.

Also adding an Area419 knob would help in regards to avoiding getting cut by the safety.
I heard about modding a 700 trigger just couldn't find anything on it do you have any links on the process

Same issue, sent in once, same issue, a little worse when I got it back. Hoping someone will make a trigger without the safety.

yeah...He had sent his in several times with nothing but new scratches when it came back and then took it apart and cleaned it up but still had issues. Got better but still not right

Mine LRR has done it a couple of times in about 500 rounds. I did notice the safety was partly flipped on from snagging the lever while cycling bolt. Safety level is very square and large seem very easy to snag with out noticing. I have plans to round off the Sharpe edges so it less snaggable. Rifle is a great shooter with hand loads and I always keep some S&B 140gr FMG on hand they shoot 0.5 moa and are price at the point of reloads.

Reactions: Scout37
January 30 2021, last weekend we took the new lrr out to sight it in, trigger locked up after fewer than 20 rounds. Today we took it apart to see why. For any of you metal fabricators out there it would be an easy fix, why tc doesn’t fix it is beyond me. The spring that holds out the trigger safety rides against the actual trigger in a less than adequate slot. Mine had come out of the slot and was binding between the trigger and the housing. My son is a mechanical engineer and saw the issue clearly and is devising a fix. We saw these posts while looking for any TC information on the issue amd determined that trying to get a solution from tc was going to be an ordeal. One more thing, apparently no one in the gun community has bothered to show a parts breakdown on the trigger assembly and an explanation on its design. I hope to remedy that.

January 30 2021, last weekend we took the new lrr out to sight it in, trigger locked up after fewer than 20 rounds. Today we took it apart to see why. For any of you metal fabricators out there it would be an easy fix, why tc doesn’t fix it is beyond me. The spring that holds out the trigger safety rides against the actual trigger in a less than adequate slot. Mine had come out of the slot and was binding between the trigger and the housing. My son is a mechanical engineer and saw the issue clearly and is devising a fix. We saw these posts while looking for any TC information on the issue amd determined that trying to get a solution from tc was going to be an ordeal. One more thing, apparently no one in the gun community has bothered to show a parts breakdown on the trigger assembly and an explanation on its design. I hope to remedy that.
Thanks for looking into it. Mine is at the gunsmith right now. I'll let you know what they come up with as well.

Maybe make a video on it
To share with others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwhnt12
Thanks for looking into it. Mine is at the gunsmith right now. I'll let you know what they come up with as well.

Maybe make a video on it
To share with others.
I’m so glad I’m not alone, it’s pretty frustrating. I’ve had the same issue with the trigger with only 200 rounds on my rifle. I started to experience trigger malfunctions within the first few rounds.
I can’t wait to see what you all come up with for an answer.
Thank you all for sharing.

I’m so glad I’m not alone, it’s pretty frustrating. I’ve had the same issue with the trigger with only 200 rounds on my rifle. I started to experience trigger malfunctions within the first few rounds.
I can’t wait to see what you all come up with for an answer.
Thank you all for sharing.
It'd have been nice if Thompson Center got off their asses and really made a fix for this. This will most likely be the last one I ever purchase.

It'd have been nice if Thompson Center got off their asses and really made a fix for this. This will most likely be the last one I ever purchase.
Hello All,

I just spoke with my gunsmith and he stated that both safety mechanisms are linked so there is really no way to fix this trigger. It's just a bad design.

My gunsmith suggested that if Thompson Center doesn't fix the issues with the trigger then someone needs to open a class action lawsuit against then ... then they'll redesign the trigger as it will be less costly to them than a lawsuit.

That's sad... You'd think that TC would fix the problem and actually reach out to people to assist instead of just giving people the runaround.

Does anyone know how to get a class action lawsuit going?

Your son in going in the right direction. From what I can tell, the small spring rides on the face of the center trigger safety which is slightly recessed back from the face of the main trigger. This spring is light and moves around and can pop out of the small groove that it rides in. I believe this particular springs job is to reset the center trigger safety forward.
I sent my rifle back for trigger replacement and to have the chamber cleaned up (it looked like they reamed it with a chainsaw). The trigger failed after about 15 shots.
I think the key is to keep that spring in place. I noticed that friction would sometimes cause the spring to hang up high on the surface it rides on. Once it pops out of the groove, the trigger will seize up.
I put a little bearing grease on the spring and groove and that helped quite a bit. Recoil will cause the spring to move out of place sometimes though. I may try a heavy grease to try and dampen the spring movement.
I took a video of the problem and wrote what I saw and sent that info in but the performance center ignored it.
In the attached photo you can see the loop in the spring end. This is what rides in the shallow groove and will hang up or pop out.
I don't think we can depend on the performance center to come up with a fix.

Attachments

• 1614738611317_20210121_182537.jpg
    1614738611317_20210121_182537.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 324
Your son in going in the right direction. From what I can tell, the small spring rides on the face of the center trigger safety which is slightly recessed back from the face of the main trigger. This spring is light and moves around and can pop out of the small groove that it rides in. I believe this particular springs job is to reset the center trigger safety forward.
I sent my rifle back for trigger replacement and to have the chamber cleaned up (it looked like they reamed it with a chainsaw). The trigger failed after about 15 shots.
I think the key is to keep that spring in place. I noticed that friction would sometimes cause the spring to hang up high on the surface it rides on. Once it pops out of the groove, the trigger will seize up.
I put a little bearing grease on the spring and groove and that helped quite a bit. Recoil will cause the spring to move out of place sometimes though. I may try a heavy grease to try and dampen the spring movement.
I took a video of the problem and wrote what I saw and sent that info in but the performance center ignored it.
In the attached photo you can see the loop in the spring end. This is what rides in the shallow groove and will hang up or pop out.
I don't think we can depend on the performance center to come up with a fix.
I have the same issues. Took in to my store gunsmith to my gunsmith look at and same. Trigger spring is jumping out of place. No fix. Can’t believe such a stand up company hasn’t fixed it. Not like them. No after market to be bought. Guess it will take a class action to get there attention.

Reactions: Scout37
I have the same issues. Took in to my store gunsmith to my gunsmith look at and same. Trigger spring is jumping out of place. No fix. Can’t believe such a stand up company hasn’t fixed it. Not like them. No after market to be bought. Guess it will take a class action to get there attention.
How do we get the class action lawsuit going? I just want it fixed and am not looking for money.

I don’t know. On a class action. Same as you no money. Just get it fixed. Has anyone sent theirs back and had it fixed. I’m hesitant in sending back and getting back scratched and still having the same issue.

Not sure about a lawsuit. I am sure they know there is a problem. My guess is since the LRR is a joint venture between TC and SW, neither is wanting to take the initiative to fix the problem or there aren't enough LRR's out there to warrant a recall yet.

I received a second response to an email I sent them. They want to know the serial number of the rifle so they can "research the repair history". I have given the number several times and it is in all my emails, they seem to be just playing games now.

I think we need to stay on them to get them to redesign the trigger and do a recall.
My advice to anyone thinking about a LRR is don't buy one until there is a known fix.

Not sure about a lawsuit. I am sure they know there is a problem. My guess is since the LRR is a joint venture between TC and SW, neither is wanting to take the initiative to fix the problem or there aren't enough LRR's out there to warrant a recall yet.

I received a second response to an email I sent them. They want to know the serial number of the rifle so they can "research the repair history". I have given the number several times and it is in all my emails, they seem to be just playing games now.

I think we need to stay on them to get them to redesign the trigger and do a recall.
My advice to anyone thinking about a LRR is don't buy one until there is a known fix.
Many people here have sent it back for repairs. Mine came back with a scratch or two and still worked the same.