• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Those that clean with CLR, flush it with anything afterwards

tsu45

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
I really like the carbon removal of clr. Only thing that concerns me is any residual left in the bore after dry patching given how reactive it is. Do y’all run anything else down the bore afterwards?

I really like the carbon removal of clr. Only thing that concerns me is any residual left in the bore after dry patching given how reactive it is. Do y’all run anything else down the bore afterwards?

I do. I pull my barrels off before I fill them with clr. I then brush the inside a bit before flushing the barrel with water. Blow it out dry and then run few oil patches through it

On the rare occasions when I use it, I'll run several dry patches, then one soaked with either rubbing alcohol or Coleman fuel/white gas, then more dry patching, then an oil patch and a final dry patch.

CLR is an Acidic waterborne product. One can neutralize CLR with an alkaline agent.

Sodium Bicarbonate in a mild solution could be one of them.

Maybe; just spitballin' here...

I'd finish with a patch dampened with a mix of gun oil and rubbing alcohol to leave a light oil residue.

...And then there's this...; I'd spray it on a patch. (Contents)

Last edited:
Reactions: Changed
I use it every time I clean. I do run a patch with Hoppe’s on it after I’m done, but for years I’ve never done that.

Perhaps if you shoot 200 rounds per year it may be an issue, but I usually shoot the day after I clean.

Reactions: keystoneshooter
i think you are making mountains out of mole hills.

people have been cleaning with CLR for decades....if residual CLR in a barrel caused issues, i think wed've heard about it

CLR will not have any adverse affect on 416 stainless. I've left barrel cutoffs, partially submerged in 100% solution for weeks. There was no visible difference between what was submerged and what was not. Just patch it out, brush with your typically bore cleaner, and resume like you would normally do. I'd be far more concerned on getting the CLR on things other than the barrel steel, so I think removing the barrel, while being a bit of a PITA, is wise

I'd be far more concerned on getting the CLR on things other than the barrel steel
Yep. Like bluing. I was called away suddenly while using CLR (on patches) in a blued barrel. I quickly ran a dry patch through the barrel before leaving, but neglected to check the muzzle. Found this a few hours later. Oops.
390A256A-378D-476F-8E8E-8E1D098D5831_1_105_c.jpeg

I just checked CLR FAQs on https://www.thecarycompany.com/facility-supplies/cleaners/clr/faq. They say:
"We do not recommend that CLR products be used on any metals except for chrome or stainless steel."
Since most precision rifle barrels are made of stainless steel, CLR should be safe.
I have been using CLR on my stainless barrel and the brake with zero problems. I do push some dry patches thru after removing carbon and follow them with Kroil patches.
I rinse off the brake with water, then coat with Kroil.
CLR is the best carbon remover I have ever seen.

I've been using the tears of liberal Democrats. I've found nothing more effective......or satisfying.

Reactions: w.wood