• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Those with AG composites stocks, did you bed your action?

BuckeyeRifleman

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2017
Ohio
Just put an order in on an AG Alpine hunter stock trying to lighten my rifle. It used to ride in an MPA chassis. From what I’ve gathered their inletting is very precise and many find bedding wasn’t necessarily, but I was hoping to gather some first hand experiences of those of you with their stocks...

Did you bed your action? If so, did you notice any appreciable difference in accuracy or consistency?

I’d prefer to bed mine, but I’m worried about how much more time and money I have before elk season hits. I’ve done a few bedding jobs myself in the past, but with a stock and rifle this expensive I may want to send it to a smith to get it done cleanly by a professional, but time and money would be a factor. Just trying to get some feelers out for individual experiences.

Thanks!

I'm wundering the same thing. They say you dont need to bed your action and the guys at AG composites dont bed their own personal rifes with their stocks on them. Wundering if anyone has noticed an increase in accuracy after bedding.

I just threw an AG Alpine Hunter on my 6.5 Sherman. Haven't had the chance to shoot it as is yet, but plan to do so soon. I'll see how it shoots and make a decision. I had a Stocky's VG2 (made by AG) and it shot great without any bedding.

IMG_7023.jpg

Awsome looking set up. Keep us posted. Would love to know how it shoots as is. And if you decide to bed it would like to hear your opinion on the difference it's made. Good luck. Awsome rifle.

Reactions: waspocrew
I have one on my 6.5 PRC hunting rifle, when I originally got it I simply dropped it in the stock, torqued it to 55 in/lbs and went to shooting. Since most loads were producing 1/2 MOA or less groups I never bothered to bed it as it was shooting well enough for me.

Then I pulled it apart last week to try a different bottom metal then put the old one back on and torqued it to the same spec. When I shot it at the range first round was exactly where my zero was before so I’d say bedding isn’t necessary.

One thing I will mention is to check the inlet for the bottom metal, with both the Stockys and APA RTG M5 pattern bottom metal the mags sit somewhat low in the stock. While this does not appear to be a huge issue under normal circumstances I have found since I’m running the 6.5 PRC in a long action it tends to be somewhat finicky. For example the stockys works with a 3 round accurate Mag but does not work with 5 round Accurate Mags or Magpul standard PMAGs. With the APA it sits low enough that every round hits dead center of the bottom edge of the feed ramp which catches and will not feed.

However if I try a 300 win Mag shell it starts to feed every time with no misses so depending on your configuration it might not be an issue. Since we are in the middle of our PA deer season I went back to the stockys/3round Mag combo that works and will see if the guys at AG can run the inlet a little deeper to match the APA dimensions after our season ends.

Attachments

• 690D7FCD-191E-4F26-A7F1-29F258EFF7B3.jpeg
    690D7FCD-191E-4F26-A7F1-29F258EFF7B3.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 131
Im having them inlet for a badger m5 enhanced bottom metal for 6.5 cm hope. I dont have that issue. Really appreciate the input and am happy to hear that you have no issues returning to zero with out bedding.

Im having them inlet for a badger m5 enhanced bottom metal for 6.5 cm hope. I dont have that issue. Really appreciate the input and am happy to hear that you have no issues returning to zero with out bedding.

You most likely won’t have any issues as mine seem to be unique to running a short action cartridge in a long action. Also if you are running the actual badger bottom metal then it might be better, I did notice that the Stocky’s was a little loose but the APA required some material removed even though they are both technically M5 pattern.

Interesting. I guess there is a difference in tolerance maybe? Mine is the actual badger m5 bottom metal. I hope mine fits nice.

You would be foolish to not bed it. Not to go into the fact you have $4k+ in a custom rig/scope and you don't want to spend a hundred or two, why wouldn't you want to not maximize accuracy? Not to mention you could be spending even more $$$$ going on a trip spending vacation and miss a once in a lifetime shot so you could save $200.....

wait wat...??? lol

And yes bedding helps 10/10, esp in the long term. BUT you might talk me out of bedding if only for the reason a 2 moa rifle will prob still get the job done for most compentent hunting, that's your call on your type of hunting.

I will say this, bedding helps exponentially when the rifle is bumped/dropped/kicked/hammered/droven on etc etc which could easily happen when hunting. Dozens of tests have been done and bedding eliminates shift the most.

GL,
DT

Are you talking about AG composites stocks of just stocks on general? I would definately bed a manners or a mc millan but I've been reading slot that AG composite stocks are.much more precisely inleted. In theory if the inlet is perfect why would you need to bed? I'm just curious I'm new at this im coming from chassis. Dont have a whole.lot.of experience with composite stocks. Like you said if I have 7-8k into the rifle whats 200 bux...obviously it's not the money lol.

in short...it might be perfect to the program written but not to your action and will never be "perfect", a 1/1 fit is done with bedding.

Long answer. Sure they have a program written and its very likely with todays tech that the tolerances are so small you can call it "perfect". However theres no way it can match every rem700 or 700 clone action. Its likely measurements were taken from one or a group of brands and averaged. Regardless of taking a higher or lower average the point is theres no way the bedding can be a perfect fit for every action that sits in it. This is why V blocks, roller bedding blocks, mini chassis, etc. were created, it uses a different principal to fit the action better across a wider variety. Even in chassis though there is specific contact points and averages. D_Tros is also extreamly correct in mentioning if it gets bumped, dropped, rattled excessively during transport, etc. can all have an impact on slight shifts in non bedded stocks...chassis or traditional. Bedding is a true 1/1 fit that gives support EVERYWHERE on the action (minus magwell, some parts of recoil lug, trigger pocket...those things that cant be supported). Its not impossible for a bedded action to shift BUT I'd be almost willing to put money on the fact that a shifted zero will be the least of your worries after the hit that is required to make it shift.

I did not bed my Lone Peak Arms action into mine and it shoots very well. .223 AI. Ti action. 10 shot groups under 1/2 moa every time I have tried it.
Proof CF barrel that LRI set up for me. Chad may not like Ti actions but he does a good job on them. ?

Thank you for your insight. I'm in Canada and havent really found a good gun smith here. I'm worried they'd ruin my stock so I was wundering if it was necessary. Now I need to find someone that is competent.

More thoughts.

Proof is in the shooting. Mine shoots great without bedding. If/when that changes I will bed it. Otherwise, no.

I can see there are alot.of opinions with bedding. I just dont like the idea of removing material just to add an inferior material if you dont have to. I'm going to probably do the same. If I get 1/2 moa or better I'm happy. But if it for any reason shifts. I'll look into bedding.

Devcon or marinetex is an inferior material?

And it’s not opinion. A perfect form fit impression in the stock will only ever be better than a best guess fit.

Only you can decide if bedding the stock is worth the possible detriment to resale value down the road which I suspect is really the concern.

Not just resale. Might just be personal ability to interchange BA’s.

I think if I were considering selling my rifle, I'd buy something used to begin with. You lose way too much money selling a custom build. Everything in Canada is over priced. So that's not the concern. Just a pain to find someone here to do the work. Someone local at least.

Reactions: RTH1800