• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts in re 6.5x55 SE vs. .260 Rem

Flatbush Harry

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2011
Colorado
I'm seriously considering getting a Tikka T3 Sporter in either 6.5x55 SE or .260 Rem. I have some experience with the 6.5x 55 Swedish in a Ruger No. 1A that is one of my two favorite deer rifles. I realize that they are near ballistic twins and that I can load the Swede as hot as the .260 given that it will be used in either my No. 1 or a Tikka T3. I have a nice supply of .308 brass and Lapua 6.5x55 brass and hand load. I would also get Lapua .260 brass if I go that route.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of experienced 6.5mm/.264 precision shooters.

Thanks in advance.

FH

Re: Thoughts in re 6.5x55 SE vs. .260 Rem

they are ballistic twins,longer neck gives you more lattitude with seating depth depending on throat with 6.5.i have 2 260s but you cant go wrong with either on considering the platform you will be using.

Lapua 6.5x55 is only 68 dollars per 100 right now, while the 260 is 92 dollars. Considering both magazines hold 5 rounds, I would take the x55 in a heart beat.

I love my Tikka Sporter in 6.5x55 plenty of room in the mag for longer bullets and its a dream to shoot. During break in I was shooting 3 shot groups around half an inch at 100. I cant wait to try out my hand loads.

My choice is the SM because it's cool, has a touch more zip, is cool, and because the casehead is a shade bigger - is a bit stronger. Maybe the longer neck preserves the throat a little longer??