• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on Arc'Teryx and Triple Aught Design

Frapiscide

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
I've looked at Arc'Teryx from afar and am always curious as to what makes them that much more expensive than TAD's stuff. I don't mean to start an argument between fans of both sides. It's just that with owning 3 pairs of pants and 4 jackets from TAD Gear, what makes Arc'Teryx 2 to 4 times more expensive?

I'd like to hear from guys who've owned both. I'm also not planning on buying anything from them, it's just that I've wanted to wrap my head around this.

I've also used the search function and can't really find much on it.

Re: Thoughts on Arc'Teryx and Triple Aught Design

I have both and switched over to TAD...

While many things such as shoes or clothing can be subjective based on your likes, one thing to consider when picking is the personal attention and the fact that TAD comes out to competitions, and Range Training sessions and interacts with the shooters. They are great people, and make a great product.

I have a lot invested in ArcTeryx, but retired it all for TAD.

414603_374885289201667_100000405966076_1158360_660752639_o.jpg

I've owned am Arc'Teryx shell for some dozen years now and it has served me very well. I pack it when hiking (Northeast, White Mountains) and use it as a regular rain jacket around home. It shows no signs of abrasion and all the zippers and other closures function as intended. It was a $400 plus shell when I bought it back in 2000 and based on length of ownership it was pretty cheap per year of use.

I cant compare it to the other brand as I dont own/havent researched TAD but My Arctyrex jacket and Bora 80 pack have dome well for me. Regards the pack - its a bit heavy but the design makes the weight easy enough to carry and lashing on snow shoes and stuff is about as secure as can be.

I just recently noted that Arcteryx has a line of gear that is more tactical in style. When I bought mine they offered two colors - Rescue orange (Tobasco or some crazy name) for males and something green for women. I'd imagine Arctyrex would follow the dollar and they probably want to support their Canadian troops but their overall company policy seems to be more in line with selling to the REI crowd. I was surprised by their offering a tactical line.

Can the TAD jackets function as a rain jacket? I am going to be purchasing a rain jacket soon and have been looking at the ArcTeryx, but they seem pricey at $400+.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the TAD jackets function as a rain jacket? I am going to be purchasing a rain jacket soon and have been looking at the ArcTeryx, but they seem pricey at $400+.</div></div>

Absolutely it can. Holds up to all but the most torrential downpours....and will hold up to those for at least an hour or two.

This is the style of jacket LL is wearing above, I love mine.

http://www.snipershide.com/2012/01/1027/

Might have an ArcT jacket to sell....what size are you Frap?

Both are excellent - can't go wrong with either. I think Arc'Teryx has a slight edge on materials and construction, but TAD has filled that gap over the last few years.

When given an option I will always pick a garment made with Schoeller materials. They are incredible fabrics, dry quick, highly abrasion resistant and breathe really well. I ice and mountain climb in mammut and cloudveil products; all made from Schoeller products. I'm looking to retire some of my Sitka stuff after looking at the TAD products. Thanks for asking the question, helped me help myself:)

Matt

I am an Arc'Teryx fan myself. I have never paid full price (now is the time of year to find close out sales). Have never had water leak in, even the zippers stay dry.

Are they worth it I think so I have never been wet or cold in them, I am not a fan of either condition.

I can't speak for TAD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the TAD jackets function as a rain jacket? I am going to be purchasing a rain jacket soon and have been looking at the ArcTeryx, but they seem pricey at $400+.</div></div>

Absolutely it can. Holds up to all but the most torrential downpours....and will hold up to those for at least an hour or two.

</div></div>

That is great read. In that article it mentioned a seam sealed version, has that come out or is it still in the works?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the TAD jackets function as a rain jacket? I am going to be purchasing a rain jacket soon and have been looking at the ArcTeryx, but they seem pricey at $400+.</div></div>

</div></div>

That is great read. In that article it mentioned a seam sealed version, has that come out or is it still in the works?</div></div>
I believe the TAD guys said somewhere around June for the Stealth LT seam sealed variant.

I may be mistaking but isnt the TAD made in China? Are there any American made options in the quality range of TAD and Arc'Teryx?

I have several Arcteryx jackets of different types and for me they are a very good product. Price depends if it's a China or Canadian product but from my experience either works great. I haven't had any issues.

I don't have any experience yet with TAD but do look forward to trying a couple items.

My other suggestion when looking at this level of quality and price range is to not over look Otte Gear. My wife got me an Otte Hybrid jacket for Christmas and it's awesome! I will buy more Otte Gear for sure.

Their Stealth Hoodie Version 6.0 (Fall 2010) was made in china. Most recent version is made in Canada.

Arc Teryx is made in China now. A local outfitter here told me that the creators of Arc Teryx split with one of the owners going to his own seperate clothing line and is produced in Canada. Saw some of it and is impressive but can't remeber the name... duh

Wid Things tactical and the regular moutaineering line is awsome stuff too. At these price points for the AT, WT, though the TAD gear looks great. $400-$600+ is stupid for outer wear per garment.

No. Arc'Teryx has facilities in both Canada and China. They are slowly moving more product back to Canada. It's easy to prove. Go to a store and look at tags. All their most popular gear is labeled 'Canada.' My first Beta AR= China. My new Beta AR 2012= Canada.

I'm a huge fan of Arcteryx and have a shit ton of dead bird gear. I haven't found a better source for hard shells but when you buy their soft shells, you're paying the dead bird tax. They don't last longer or shed water better than any other soft shells I've tried.

One feature I like about the Arc jackets is that the hood is big enough to fit over a ski or bike helmet. Can anyone with a Tad jacket tell me me if their hood is oversized like this? I don't like having to remove gear to get weatherproof so this is a big issue for me.

The TAD stuff is GTG but Arc'terix materials are top notch and much more expensive than those from TAD , also their offer is more complete so the costs they have in research and developing are quite higher than those @ TAD , many fabrics are their exclusives too .

I have both stuff in my inventory but the evidence is what I stated here above .

PP out

I have a lot of Arcteryx gear and wouldn't trade it for anything else. The LEAF line is made in Canada. The Alpha hardshell and the Atom softshell are my favorites. Also have a Gryphon and it is really nice for mildly cold and wet weather.

you can't say where they make anything it is not as cut and dry to say being made in one place outweighs being made some where else. That is not how high tech fabrics operate.

My Arcteryx Atom is made in Bangladesh

My Arcteryx Multicam Combat Jacket is made in USA

The Hard Shell is China, and so on...

They use different places for different reasons and not necessarily dollars, it's how they handle the material that counts.

The cut on the TAD stuff fits me great and I really like using it, when looking to separate the two I moved to support those who support the community, and TAD is very active in supporting what we do.

I have both, LEAF and Commercial lines from the Dead Bird and have no complaints, other than really expensive, but it works well. However it runs the gamut on where it is made... all over the place.

The TAD Jacket above has much more feature than the Arcteryx stuff I have, and is definitely a great jacket. I wear their pants now, shorts, Hoodies, which I dig.

Support those who support us I say.

I have been in active, cold rainy conditions in my TAD Spectre among other guys in Arcteryx shells and I was the only one dry. That may have been a coincidence, but I have put my TAD jackets through all the conditions that my dedicated expedition gear has been through and I have never been disappointed. Also, as Frank mentioned, they are good people who I have met and they support matches. That goes a long way with me.

I'm hoping to stop in to see the TAD store when I visit San Fran next month. If they have a stealth hoodie ready to go...I may just bite!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frapiscide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> what makes Arc'Teryx 2 to 4 times more expensive? </div></div>

Paid to play on the Deadbird bottom line. This holds true to TAD and others companies but Arc has the most fully sanctioned users on their payroll. All those endorsements by the way of free kit, money to travel and a salary cost the consumer. They have a quite large outside rep pool also that cost consumers. It is good kit but with their advertising campaign, most end users think it has no equal so they are willing to pay for the hang tag.

I have tested my fair share of free kit so yes I fall into the category above somewhat. I know what a half half is. I tested boots and hard goods the most. I got to use kit for the season, most times keeping it, take notes sent to their R&D. One company in particular years ago, had my guiding company endorsement on their hang tags and web site. I have a fairly good inside knowledge to the bizz but have been out of it for 6 years since I got out of the bizz.

LL,
I understand that the location of MFG is very dependent on materials being used. It is that way in the mountain biking world, as you cant even begin to find a carbon frame made outside of Taiwan and they do a very good job. I just didnt think of it in that way for clothing. I do agree with you supporting a company who supports our sport!

thezoltar said:
One feature I like about the Arc jackets is that the hood is big enough to fit over a ski or bike helmet. Can anyone with a Tad jacket tell me me if their hood is oversized like this? I don't like having to remove gear to get weatherproof so this is a big issue for me. [/]

I don't think it covers enough for your use. I tried it out for you yesterday and the TAD hood was a bit small. It was tall enough but not reall deep enough. I tried it out with a Specialized dirt jump and regular road helmet. The hood only covered about 2/3 of the helmets. It might work with a climbing helmet if they fit closer to the head, but I don't have one to try. Hope that helps.

I have several pieces of both Arc and TAD. My experience is that they're of roughly equal value re quality and durability. Arc usually seems to be priced higher for similar items but can definitely be found on sale, especially this time of year, for reduced prices. I just picked up a Beta AR for $185. TAD jackets have a more tactical/military look with velcro on the sleeves if you're into that.

I've never noticed like products being 4x the price (Arc higher vs TAD)but I'm not as diligent a comparison shopper as some. I shot a match recently with some high speed Mil guys and they were telling me about some type of Arc pants they'd bought that cost $600 a pair. I don't mind paying for top quality gear, but that seemed an outrageous price to me for a pair of britches. I guess they're "worth" what someone is willing to pay.

My only gripe with TAD is that they produce and offer things in relatively small quantities and, more often than not, are out of my size in the products I want. This is completely understandable as they're a much smaller operation vs Arc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been in active, cold rainy conditions in my TAD Spectre among other guys in Arcteryx shells and I was the only one dry. That may have been a coincidence, but I have put my TAD jackets through all the conditions that my dedicated expedition gear has been through and I have never been disappointed.</div></div>

If this shit can hang with Arcteryx hard shells I'll take to Alaska and see how it works out. Spend a lot of time on the peninsula backpack hunting yogis. In October it rains, it rains a lot and the rain is driven by bering sea winds so it gets miserable. Normally soft shells are toast inside an hour, doesn't matter what brand. Pro shell / eVent will keep you dry until you sit, kneel, or put your pack back on. HH rain gear is the only way to stay dry but it gets steamy and isn't terribly durable.

At this point I've spent so much money on clothing, what's a few hundred more bucks?!?!

I tried the jacket in the picture with my Ops Core helmet and the hood cover its, a bit back off the edge, but works no problem.

I wear TAD gear almost everyday. When I'm in the field, it's all I wear. It is by far my favorite mfg for a variety of reasons such as performance/function, features, price and like LL pointed out, interaction with our community. There gear is top notch. It has performed in every weather condition for me. From sub zero days spent outside, to downpours on a beach to running thru the woods, TAD has been there for me. I own Arc'Teryx LEAF Alpha Lt jacket and bib and it looks well made but it's almost too expensive to wear!! J/k, I wear the heck out of it for that price !! Between the two, I prefer TAD. Just my opinion, hope it helps u out

Wild Things Tactical is a great line compareable to both TAD and Dead Bird, with the price point being at the TAD end of the spectrum. Designers and consultants are WELL known with all being USA made and are Berry compliant.
Check em out...

TAD I switched to from some other brands and have been impressed with it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there ever any group buysfor TAD</div></div>

I maybe able to coordinate something,

Thanks for the info guys. I just found out that the new Stealth Hoodie has a waterproof zipper along with seam tape. Only thing is that it bumped the price up to $475!

Quoted from their Facebook page:

"As you noticed in last week's newsletter, we're excited about the upgraded features on the latest evolution of our Stealth Hoodie LT. The most significant upgrade this year is the seam taping construction throughout the jacket. Seam taping is the process of applying thermoplastic adhesive film to sewn seams of fabric to prevent water from leaking through the seams. With this extra layer of capability, the latest Stealth Hoodie LT is priced at $475 and ensures that it’s a 100% waterproof three-layer, four-way stretch softshell with year-round versatility."

I'd give a slight edge in material and construction to Arc, but I prefer the features, fit and layout of certain things on TAD jackets and hoodies.

How are you guys getting the TAD pants/shorts? they always seem to be out of stock on the website.

LL, I'd be interested in a TAD group buy. Been to their site many times. They've never had anything in my size. Basically gave up.

Have a bunch of Arcteryx gear and its top notch. Now is the time to pick up a jacket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gorax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are you guys getting the TAD pants/shorts? they always seem to be out of stock on the website. </div></div>

More or less you have to be on top of things or be lucky when you're on their site. Their news letter helps for getting notified on restocks.