• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on barrel length

MrBrown

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
College Station, TX
Ok..so I'm currently running a Rem 700 sps-v 1:12 26" bbl...lately I've been kicking around the idea of chopping and threading the bbl for a suppressor...my current load is a 168amax but after much reading it seems that for 600yds+ the consensus is 155 or 175 gr bullets. My question is...with a 1:12 bbl...chopping it down to 22" or 24" will I be limiting myself to just the 155's or will I still be able to stabilize the 175 bullets at those longer distances? Thanks -Brown

Re: Thoughts on barrel length

20-22" will still be fine. 1/12 is not the optimal twist rate for the heavier pills, but it still works with the 175s, even better for 155s. I have a PSS 1/12 and have considered chopping the 26" factory tube down to 20-22" for a can.

Kirk R

cool...thanks Capt. I guess I really need to decide between the 155 & 175. From what I've seen here the 175's handle the wind better than the 155's at longer distances...and being new to lr shooting I'm gonna need all the help I can get!! Either way I'm thinking 22" will probably be where it ends up at. -Brown

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrBrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I've seen here the 175's handle the wind better than the 155's at longer distances... -Brown </div></div>

Well, I found the exact opposite. I shoot both the 175 SMKs and Lapua 155 Scenars out of my PSS, the 155s have a higher BC (.504 vs SMKs .496). Here is an example, @ 1K yards with a full value 10 mph wind, the 175 (2630 fps) takes 2.62 mils or 9 MOA, the 155 (2905 fps)takes 2.21 mils or 7.6 MOA.

If you can get the 155s to run in the 2850 range out of a 22-24" barrel, I would go that route, if you cant, the 175s will be the way to go. You only gain an advantage with the lighter pills IF you can obtain the desire velocities.

Where the 175s may pay off is when your bullet starts to go from supersonic to subsonic (usually beyond 1K yds depending on velocity), the heavier bullets will often take the violent transition better and maintain their flight path.

Kirk R

Well once I decide on where I'm gonna send it to get it chopped and threaded I'll pick up some 155's and 175's and see what works. Would either of these make a competent hunting round? If so that would probably make it easier to decide. -Brown

If hunting is a consideration, you may also look into the Berger line of bullets. They are pricey, but they flat shoot!

Go down to 20 or even 18 inches, you will not loose any velocity. I'm not posative on your loads, but the average length of barrel required to acheive a full powder burn of a 308 round is only 20 inches. If you go down to 18 the difference in velocity is about 20 fps.

I would say cut it at 18" that would be the ticket if you are shooting out to 800 yards but who am I ?
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike
Tac Ops</span>

MrBrown the 175s have their advantages.

One of the main reasons the 155's are so popular is because of their use in matches... besides that the 175's have more going for them so if your not "restricted" as such to a certain bullet weight, have a go at shooting something heavier that will still be adequately stabilised by your barrel.

I would shoot the 175's more often but to me the scenars are much cheaper to shoot so i go with those. That, and the fact that I learn wind reading much better with the lighter 155's.

In regards to the barrel length, I dont think its all that important unless its a bench gun. Ive seen short barreled actions in pistol stocks that can shoot a .260 out to 1000 yards and still be able to smash steel accurately at that range.

If you want to shoot 155's, don't chop it to 18". You won't have enough velocity to push them accurately.

I am pushing 155's at 2930fps avg out of a 20 inch barrel with an Omega 300 suppressor. With the can off, I am just below 2900. That's plenty of velocity, you just need to find the right powder/primer combo.

My new rifle is also finished at 20". 178 amaxes behind 45.0 varget, cci 200's, loaded to kiss the lands averaged 2625.

My chronograph sucks (shooting chrony), and I always verify the speed with actual shooting at distance.

20" is plenty.

In one of my .308's I'm running a 12 twist 24" barrel with a 168 AMAX at 2710 fps. Here in Denver it's good well beyond 1000 yds.

Check out the new Sierra 155 VLD-ish bullet. Not as good a BC but less expensive than the Lapua 155 Scenars.

In a different rig I'm pushing the 155 Scenar's at 2810 from a 20" 11.25 twist barrel through an Omega 30 and it's good to go at 1000 yds.

I'd chop it 22-24" and the 175's should still stabilize and shoot to 1000 yds in your 12 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Check out the new Sierra 155 VLD-ish bullet. Not as good a BC but less expensive than the Lapua 155 Scenars.
</div></div>

Assuming you are talking about the new Sierra 2156, I'm not sure that this is correct information. The new Sierra 2156 has a G7 BC of (Litz Tested) .247. The 155 Scenar has a G7 of (Litz tested) .234.

A little short guy told me once, that if you are under 800 yards, there is no reason that a barrel must be any longer the 18 1/2 inch. Besides it's more stable with the bipod closer to the muzzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boomfab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to shoot 155's, don't chop it to 18". You won't have enough velocity to push them accurately.

</div></div>

No kidding? How much velocity is required?

My 20.5" makes 2900 fps with moly'd 155 Scenar, but I've launched them as slow as 2500 fps with consistent accuracy at 1000 yards.

In an 18" bbl, Shouldn't be difficult to get 155s to 2750-2800 fps, or a bit faster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrBrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok..so I'm currently running a Rem 700 sps-v 1:12 26" bbl...lately I've been kicking around the idea of chopping and threading the bbl for a suppressor...my current load is a 168amax but after much reading it seems that for 600yds+ the consensus is 155 or 175 gr bullets. My question is...with a 1:12 bbl...chopping it down to 22" or 24" will I be limiting myself to just the 155's or will I still be able to stabilize the 175 bullets at those longer distances? Thanks -Brown </div></div>

Your 1:12 at 20" will still shoot 155-175's just fine.

Unless you are looking for 1000+ yards you can chop it to 20 without worry. When you want to go shorter than 20 or longer than 1000 yards then you need to start sweating the minutia.

I chose a 20" on my recent rifle because with factory loads there is little difference and a 26" barrel with a suppressor is just not fun in some cases.

i am getting 2680 out of the hornady supermatch factory loads out of my 18" 308

I don't know if the helps the OP with his quest about barrel length and velocity...but I am running between 2450 and 2500 fps with my handloads and my current batch of issued FGMM 175 in a 16.5 inch barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boomfab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to shoot 155's, don't chop it to 18". You won't have enough velocity to push them accurately.

</div></div>

No kidding? How much velocity is required?

</div></div>

More velocity than you can get with an 18" barrel.

The fastest I could get 155's to go out of a suppressed 18" 1/12 barrel was 2780.

I've had 155 accuracy issues with an 18" AR10 as well, 1/10 twist.

Both barrels shoot 168's and 175's well.

I've been told on here you need 155's to be going 2900+ to get good accuracy.

So, in my real world experience, 18" barrels with 155's are not a good combo.

The reasons guys want push 155gr rounds to 2950fps is, that is what the F Class F/TR are looking to do. Basically it's a way to make a 308 perform like a 260. When all else is equal, like in F Class or Palma, the faster you can push the rounds the better off you'll be.

However, tactically speaking a lighter accurate rifle that allows the user to maneuver is going to trump the need for speed with a longer barreled rifle. You can't underestimate the benefits of a short handy rifle.

I shoot 155gr Scenars out of my Gladius all the time. (18.5" - 1/10) and it performs very well. During one of the SH Online Training lessons regarding the wind I shot paper around 600 yards several different 308 rounds out of the 18" Gladius and noted the down range results... and I find the 155gr Scenars do very well.

When choosing any LR 308 really you want to consider the 155gr or the 175gr in factory offerings. You can handload to better results but definitely not with a 168gr round, it's not a good LR round especially for windy conditions.

Others options are available, you can look at the new 178gr Superformance, although we have been seeing pressure issues on summer days, or the 170gr HPS... the 22" Harbinger during the 600 yard group shot beat even the wind cheaters... held a Mil of wind and fired a 3.25" - 5 shot group for score winning that segment. the HPS runs fast and has a BC of .525, but doesn't perform in every rifle.

Bottom line, pick the right combination for the situation, if you're gonna shoot competitions and carry your rifle from the car to the line and back, have at it, go long, push hard, do whatever you need to in order to get the edge. If you 're going tactical, go shorter, and be smart about it. if you're going short and then talking about 1000 yards shooting everyday, well you choose wrong. In that case, consider a short wind cheater...smaller faster bullet. You can push a 260 out of an 18" barrel better than you can push a 155gr out of a 26" -- too all things there is a trade off.

Do your home work and think about it, but understand I would rather carry the Gladius and be light and accurate inside 800, than to lug around some 32" monstrosity thinking it will make a difference at 1000 yards... cause it won't unless you get sighters, time to rest, etc. Tactically speaking light is right

To put this in context, here is the 18.5" Gladius using the 155gr Scenars at CRC, Byers, CO at 800 and 1000 yards showing you the hits and the target.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sPwXOUxCiGE?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sPwXOUxCiGE?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I suspect your accuracy issues with 155s in your 18 inchers were not so much related to bbl length/mv, as other factors.

Frank -

How much of a boost are you getting with your surefire can on vs off?

I have a 16.75" takeoff barrel from a PSS on a SA. I just set the headspace and chopped the tube. It is a hammer. I have not chrono'd it, but accuracy is excellent. Something about a short fat tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An 18" gun is definitely not for the weak of fundamentals... it's not a forgiver </div></div>

this is the absolute truth.

I can shoot 168s out of the same gun with 0.3 MOA accuracy.

I've tried Sierra 2156's and Lapua Scenars and can't get better than 2 MOA.

Frank, for tactical - would you consider SRS? Bullpup design allows longer barrel in an overall shorter package.

I was pleasantly surprised to get a much better performance (out of myself
smile.gif
) from DTA SRS right after zeroing than from Rem 700 AICS (with trigger job) after some schooling and practicing with it (all in 308 Win). And all I've done was shooting prone (i.e. no fancy tricks or supported shots where the more compact rifle package would make a difference).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An 18" gun is definitely not for the weak of fundamentals... it's not a forgiver </div></div>Can you elaborate on this? If the accuracy potential is equal and the velocity is close, what about the shorter barrel would amplify flaws in shooting technique?

Thanks,

-BM

The SRS is a nice platform, the guys at Desert Tactical have done a nice job on the rifle so, putting a longer barrel in a shorter overall platform would definitely work using a SRS.

I personally think the reason a shorter barrel is a detriment to some shooters is the recoil and sound. They perceive it as being more, and because due to some people's lack of technique, they get thrown off target more. If you don't control the weapon properly you can't be expected to have long range accuracy.

It's louder, it snaps more, and it's not something for everyone for sure... some people just lack the skills necessary to employ it properly. They need heavier rifles with lighter trigger that they bounce off of in hopes of not disturbing the system letting the rifle do it things unaffected. A shorter rifle needs a driver, like a semi auto 308 does.

Shooting both AIAW .308 and DTA SRS 22" at present, no question about it, you can not get sleepy behind the DTA SRS you have to drive it all the way to the target. Preforms when you do your part, AI is more forgiving in that respect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An 18" gun is definitely not for the weak of fundamentals... it's not a forgiver </div></div>Can you elaborate on this? If the accuracy potential is equal and the velocity is close, what about the shorter barrel would amplify flaws in shooting technique?

Thanks,

-BM </div></div>

The recoil management of a shorter rifle is very different VS a longer rifle. Like Lowlight and others have said earlier its less forgiving.

Same can be said with semi-autos as compared to bolt guns. Especially a 16" AR... what a bitch. haha

Trying to be constructive here, you might revisit the posts and consider your conclusion. LonewolfUSMC for instance

Dang...tried to edit my post and ended up deleting it! It's way too early!! yeah thanks Unsichtbar...went back and re-read.

So by what your saying with regards to "forgiveness", would it be probably be best for a newer shooter to stick with a longer barrel, atleast till they get solid fundamentals down and plenty of trigger time?

18in barrel 308s rock! Ive been shooting them for years. If you handload, why on earth would you not shoot something more compact while still retaining the velocity. 175 smks are scary accurate in my chopped rem 5r, at 2690fps avg.

I have shot a 20" 308 for alot of years and it makes me smile when some arm chair warrior tells me a short barrel 308 will not get it done.Im going to have to try 18" on my next build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why on earth would you not shoot something more compact while still retaining the velocity...</div></div>
Simply because I can get the same form-factor (equally compact) with a longer barrel and reap the benefits of both (long barrel and compact size).

E.g. my SRS has 26" barrel in 308 (specifically requested that instead of 22"). It both shoots and feels very nice - more comfortable for me than my AICS Rem 700 (also with 26" barrel - guess I grew used to that barrel length
smile.gif
). While being about 12" shorter overall, and much more luggable (though also not a peach, but then I'm no Arnold Schwarzenegger
wink.gif
).

And when I want it to be <span style="text-decoration: underline">really</span> compact - I go for Steyr AUG. With a 16" barrel - try to beat that one!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SRS is a nice platform, the guys at Desert Tactical have done a nice job on the rifle so, putting a longer barrel in a shorter overall platform would definitely work using a SRS.

I personally think the reason a shorter barrel is a detriment to some shooters is the recoil and sound. They perceive it as being more, and because due to some people's lack of technique, they get thrown off target more. If you don't control the weapon properly you can't be expected to have long range accuracy.

It's louder, it snaps more, and it's not something for everyone for sure... some people just lack the skills necessary to employ it properly. They need heavier rifles with lighter trigger that they bounce off of in hopes of not disturbing the system letting the rifle do it things unaffected. A shorter rifle needs a driver, like a semi auto 308 does. </div></div>Gotcha. Sounds like the flinch becomes more of an issue with it. The good news is my new 20" barrel is coming in around the same time as the form 4 should be clearing on my new suppressor!