• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

thoughts on Prime Subsonic 22?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    Has anyone shot this stuff out of a Bentz chamber? Accuracy? I'm debating jumping on the sale at Prime, but that's an expensive gamble.

I was in the same boat as you, couldn't find much for reviews on it anywhere. There will probably be a lot of them on the next month or so : )I decided to take the gamble and order a case.
    Hope my rifle likes it!!!
    DW

Saw the sale. On the fence about getting a case. Heard it doesn’t shoot that great. I got a brick of prime bolt that didn’t perform well.

I was going to buy some, but then looked at others prices. Even on sale...well its pricey....at regular price its insane.

What makes it so good ?

Received mine yesterday and function tested it in a bolt gun suppressed and my stock ruger 10/22. Both functioned flawlessly. The suppressed bolt gun was dead quiet. Here’s a headstamp pic for those who asked.
    DCCC7B2D-9F32-4312-A3BD-64DE2798ADEC.jpeg

Reactions: deltawiskey
    So it's RWS/Geco.
    I saw the sale post and looked at the prices, but I didn't know where it fell on the scale between yellow jackets and R50.
    I've already got a bunch of Geco and a decent stock of R50, but knowing which one it actually is would be worthwhile.

Reactions: Rover31
    I agree, it would be great to know which one is being rebranded. The pricing falls in line with what Geco has been selling for recently, although the Geco Semi-Auto is running a little higher than the Bolt Action, or at least it was when I bought a case a few weeks ago.

I agree, it would be great to know which one is being rebranded. The pricing falls in line with what Geco has been selling for recently, although the Geco Semi-Auto is running a little higher than the Bolt Action, or at least it was when I bought a case a few weeks ago.
    So it's RWS/Geco.
    I saw the sale post and looked at the prices, but I didn't know where it fell on the scale between yellow jackets and R50.
    I've already got a bunch of Geco and a decent stock of R50, but knowing which one it actually is would be worthwhile.

I think we've already determined its RWS HP SS. It usually goes for $0.11-$0.12/rd, so about half off.
    https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/rw...-lead-hollow-point-1000-fps-rdbx-p-73990.html

Reactions: Tucker301
    So it's RWS/Geco.

It sorta looks like RWS fieldline subsonic hp, If so, the sale price is a steal.

The fieldline shot pretty good for me, but not as good as RWS target. Nowhere close to R50, but pretty solid.

Has anyone shot this stuff out of a Bentz chamber? Accuracy? I'm debating jumping on the sale at Prime, but that's an expensive gamble.

Does it really matter? It wasn't that long ago .22 rimfire wasn't to be had anywhere at a price close to this sale. If it doesn't work to expectations, stash it. Someday you may be happy to have it.

Any ammunition is better than none.

My case was delivered this morning and I shot 100 rounds this afternoon. I'll try to put together a full report tomorrow, but here are the basics. Bottom line is, it seems to perform a little better in my CZ-455 than CCI SV but not as well as its favored Wolf Match Extra. We're talking maybe 0.1-0.2" difference tops; I'm very pleased with the Prime at the sale price point. I left my Gamechanger rear bag home by accident; a folder towel did ok in its place but my positioning on the bench was not as solid as with the bag.

Range: 50 yards.
    • Rifle: CZ-455 "Tacticool" barreled action in MDT LSS-22 chassis, Vortex Viper PST Gen-2 3-15x optic, Harris bipod, folded towel under buttstock
      - Best ammo in this rifle: Wolf Match Extra, which will hold ~0.5" @ 50 yards
    • Started with clean bore, fired 20 rounds before measuring anything
    • Fired 55 rounds through LabRadar chrono.
      - Average group size (5-round groups): ~0.6 - 0.75"
      - Best group (5 rounds): ~0.4"
      - Temp 90 F, sunny (covered firing line), typical NC summer humidity (didn't check)
      - 3 series (9, 20, 26 rounds respectively)
      - Average for each series: 1034, 1039, 1046 fps (Box printed velocity: 1034 fps)
      - High: 1060, 1074, 1080
      - Low: 1012, 1019, 1011
      - ES: 48, 55, 69
      - SD: 17.4, 16.5, 16.2
    • Wolf Match Extra stats (30 shots, fired a few weeks ago)
      - Average: 1083
      - High: 1120
      - Low: 1059
      - ES: 61
      - SD: 11
    Hope this helps.

Last edited:
    Does it really matter? It wasn't that long ago .22 rimfire wasn't to be had anywhere at a price close to this sale. If it doesn't work to expectations, stash it. Someday you may be happy to have it.

Any ammunition is better than none.
    Yes it does matter because if I were looking for ammo to store and/or plink, I'd buy CCI SV and save myself 100 bucks

Reactions: Hardpan
    I probably would have bought a case of I didn't just receive a big order this week.
    That said, I've never struggled to find good rimfire ammo at competitive prices .

Reactions: Hardpan
    Shot some of the Prime sub-sonic in My V22 this morning...sure glad it was only 6 cents a round! CCI sv is more accurate, at least in my rifle... Oh well, It will still provide me with a lot of trigger time, and it will also feed my pistols : )

Shot some of the Prime sub-sonic in My V22 this morning...sure glad it was only 6 cents a round! CCI sv is more accurate, at least in my rifle... Oh well, It will still provide me with a lot of trigger time, and it will also feed my pistols : )

Interesting. Seems like no one has stood up to say, hey this stuff [Prime subsonic] works well in my rifle; rather, every report I'v read is that it's quite mediocre. Not sure how long Jim can market it at near-premium prices or even at sale price if CCI SV competes directly with it in terms of accuracy.

Reactions: Rover31
    I don’t shoot it much past 100 yds as it’s for my son to shoot at NRL22 matches but out to 100 it’s been great for him, hovers right around .5” at 50 yds and 1-1.25 at 100 out of a stock 16” barreled cz455PT. We live in the windiest city in the US though so I’m sure in very low wind it would be slightly better.