• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

thoughts on Swaro STR spotter vs Vortes HD spotter

fili.herrera

Minuteman
Jul 5, 2011
Maryland
been tire-kicking around this idea of a spotter. anyone have any thoughts on these two spotters...pros, cons, glass quality, etc. thanks in advance

Are you trying to buy a spotter for prs matches? You can actually get away without having one by using other people's glass. Just ask and take a peak. You'll be able to see a wide variety of glass at the outdoors and make a better decision.

Wanting to use it for training, possible PRS and spotting 22LR at max distance of 500 yards...yeah 500, not a typo.

Wanting to use it for training, possible PRS and spotting 22LR at max distance of 500 yards...yeah 500, not a typo.
a more fair comparison would be the Leupold Mark 4 spotter. I would for sure get a Leupy for 500 and in. I have a 65mm STR with 25-50 wide angle. It is super nice but it is also A LOT of magnification. At 500 you will be better to use the Leupy or just get a nice set of binos and you will have no problem.

I think I’m gonna give the swaro btx a run...I hope it clamps into my RRS BH55...anyone running this particular set up and if so did you get the leveling base? I can’t tener where I read it but apparently the swaro arca doesn’t really stay out like it should in the BH55. Is that true...thanks for all the help gents!

I think I’m gonna give the swaro btx a run...I hope it clamps into my RRS BH55...anyone running this particular set up and if so did you get the leveling base? I can’t tener where I read it but apparently the swaro arca doesn’t really stay out like it should in the BH55. Is that true...thanks for all the help gents!
I have a RRS with the Anvil head and I let a buddy borrow it for his BTX and he had no issues with it holding. I am not sure if he used the built in ARCA or the RRS adapter.

Reactions: fili.herrera

I have a BTX 95 and use it with the RRS TA-3 leveling base with lever clamp. I bought a RRS L84 plate (I think current model is L85) and it works great on the BTX tripod foot. Point the plate backwards towards the eye piece and it allows you to have the BTX sit with a more balanced center of gravity. Clamps very tightly into RRS lever clamps.

So went 3/4 potato here...swaro slc 15x56 and 95mm BTX. THRU TRIAL AND ERROR for anyone looking to mount the slc 56 bino, the RRS cinch will not work. The cradle is too small. Nice product just won’t work in the SLC. This universal strap plate combo was cheap and works fantastic. The BTX amounted perfectly to the RRS BH55, so there is no need for an additional base plate. As far as the glass goes...Swaro...need I say more.

Attachments

• 5BD67552-D4F9-47F1-8858-04C4E6C999B8.jpeg
    5BD67552-D4F9-47F1-8858-04C4E6C999B8.jpeg
    914.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 1DF4A96E-8EDE-4B86-9DC0-129D81C7A425.jpeg
    1DF4A96E-8EDE-4B86-9DC0-129D81C7A425.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Wyzrd
So went 3/4 potato here...swaro slc 15x56 and 95mm BTX. THRU TRIAL AND ERROR for anyone looking to mount the slc 56 bino, the RRS cinch will not work. The cradle is too small. Nice product just won’t work in the SLC. This universal strap plate combo was cheap and works fantastic. The BTX amounted perfectly to the RRS BH55, so there is no need for an additional base plate. As far as the glass goes...Swaro...need I say more.
How in the hell did this thread start with a vortex spotter compared to an STR and end up with a BTX and 15x SLC combo???? Did a rich uncle pass between posts and up your budget? kidding, those look awesome, I think I am going to rent some BTX for hunting season to test them out. I still love my geovid Leicas but I might venture to get a set of 15x binos to compliment them down the road, would be awesome for solid ranging set...

How in the hell did this thread start with a vortex spotter compared to an STR and end up with a BTX and 15x SLC combo???? Did a rich uncle pass between posts and up your budget? kidding, those look awesome, I think I am going to rent some BTX for hunting season to test them out. I still love my geovid Leicas but I might venture to get a set of 15x binos to compliment them down the road, would be awesome for solid ranging set...

Yeah...I’m never gonna be allowed to use my debit card again...I don’t even get to stay in the doghouse at this point. But on the bright side...I can see’em coming from a lon ways away

The Outdoorsman's stud and bino adapter are the best way I've found to get the Swarovskis on a tripod. Really clean, secure,and stable. I hate bino strap setups, personally.

Reactions: fili.herrera
The Outdoorsman's stud and bino adapter are the best way I've found to get the Swarovskis on a tripod. Really clean, secure,and stable. I hate bino strap setups, personally.

I will eventually prob move to that.

Here’s an idea I got off a late night stroll they the inter web. I also have a much smaller tripod that opens up flat so that you can lase and spot from the prone...you know...angles and all that Jazz (pffft!) I was Leary about Amazon stuff and RRS compatibility but it all worked.

Attachments

• F1F1F23E-B4B4-4576-B85C-951E8FA34F87.jpeg
    F1F1F23E-B4B4-4576-B85C-951E8FA34F87.jpeg
    841.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20E56E7E-B732-4C84-B254-40D7C7B25183.jpeg
    20E56E7E-B732-4C84-B254-40D7C7B25183.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 39FF525B-3703-4351-8C56-DE5A48259A6B.jpeg
    39FF525B-3703-4351-8C56-DE5A48259A6B.jpeg
    803.8 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: Wyzrd
Got a transportation case for the new glass. Now I’m waiting for cover by Outdoor Vision. Y’all should check them out. Nice looking gear.

Attachments

• AB84D6A9-51C8-4B95-8B3A-09A38D453042.jpeg
    AB84D6A9-51C8-4B95-8B3A-09A38D453042.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Got a transportation case for the new glass. Now I’m waiting for cover by Outdoor Vision. Y’all should check them out. Nice looking gear.
I have the btx also and have been looking for a good case. What is the name of this case and where can I get one? Thank you.

I had an STR 80 that I used on RRS/Anvil 30. Just sold and got a STX 65 which also works.