• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes thoughts on SWFA SS

carson84

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2018
Alabama
I'm looking at purchasing a SWFA SS in 20x to be used on a 22lr. If you've used this optic, what did you think about it? Thanks.

I had a SWFA 10x and its a good scope for the money. Decent glass, solid tracking and robust design. I have heard that the 16x and 20x suffer a bit in terms of resolution and eyebox when compared to the 10x and 12x models. The extra magnification may not benefit you as much as you might think.

Reactions: carson84
If you like a lot of magnification the 20x other than that i would go for a 10x
Mirage is going to be hell with the 20x. You may be happier with a SS 16x or a 4-16x variable. If you plan on shooting small targets more power usually helps but with that said you also have to worry about mirage.

I had a SWFA 10x and its a good scope for the money. Decent glass, solid tracking and robust design. I have heard that the 16x and 20x suffer a bit in terms of resolution and eyebox when compared to the 10x and 12x models. The extra magnification may not benefit you as much as you might think.
I've read that as well about the 16x and 20x. This will be primarily a bench rest gun so I don't think that the tighter eyebox will be that much of an issue for me. I wish SFWA sold their optics locally so I could pick them all up and look through them to make my decision.

If you like a lot of magnification the 20x other than that i would go for a 10x
Mirage is going to be hell with the 20x. You may be happier with a SS 16x or a 4-16x variable. If you plan on shooting small targets more power usually helps but with that said you also have to worry about mirage.
I live in Alabama so we definitely have some heat to deal with. It'll be on a 22lr so I'll only be taking it out to 300 yards or so. Would I have mirage issues with it being just 300 yard shots?

I've read that as well about the 16x and 20x. This will be primarily a bench rest gun so I don't think that the tighter eyebox will be that much of an issue for me. I wish SFWA sold their optics locally so I could pick them all up and look through them to make my decision.

You said it would be for a 22lr so I assume you will be shooting a lot of various size targets between 50-300 yards. The 10x or 12x should be pretty sufficient out to 300 yards, obviously if you are shooting tiny plates at this distance it might be a bit difficult, but 6" plates at 300 yards is more than manageable with a 10x.

I’ve had the 6x, the 10x, the 16x and the 10x HD. No way I’d do the 16x again. The eye box is very critical and glare at low sun angles is horrible. 10x all the way.

John

I’ve had the 6x, the 10x, the 16x and the 10x HD. No way I’d do the 16x again. The eye box is very critical and glare at low sun angles is horrible. 10x all the way.

John
Did you have a sunshade on it? Thanks for the info - that's the first I've read about the glare.

I live in Alabama so we definitely have some heat to deal with. It'll be on a 22lr so I'll only be taking it out to 300 yards or so. Would I have mirage issues with it being just 300 yard shots?

Mirage at 300 yards or stretch a bit would be zero or minimal but in low light, they simply are not useable.
If your purpose is small groups at 1,000 yards, and less than a 20X is a good tool other than that I might consider a SS 16x

10x or 12x are the best. I have my 10x out right now, pm me if you want me to text pictures. It is excellent build quality.

I own a few...the 6x, 10x and the 3-15. Can't say enough good about them considering the cost. Don't expect the greatest glass or crisp turrets. However, it is a no frills, super reliable optic that tracks with the best of them. Great warranty should you ever need it.

For the money, it is a tough act to follow.

F9BF03ED-3F18-4F15-811F-1046B354AFA6.jpeg
93D71756-BDA1-4BA7-A587-34960BAB3999.jpeg
F6DB1EBB-81E6-4F01-9B99-6B4629D3BCC8.jpeg
3AF6A816-B9BA-4A21-83E1-E06168F5948E.jpeg
FB7DC4F5-94A2-49F7-A5B2-0D88A95EBA13.jpeg
56D6DF35-E34B-428F-83C0-9B6FCE6D3F99.jpeg
0A021B0B-5554-4A71-88CF-20E715CE7D78.jpeg
EA15A658-B804-41A7-9513-57C4C17D30B4.jpeg

Like others have said, they are great for the money. Excellent tracking, descent glass, I love the mil quad reticle. I had a 16x that I liked, but the extra mag was not so useful.
I would get the 10x or 12x, but not higher unless you are getting the HD line

Scott

Well, I popped for the 12X MRAD and a pair of Vortex rings to go on the RPR in 6mm Creed that I also popped for today. I've been on enabler forums before, but this one beats them all.

:)

Reactions: Bender
i have a 10x.....and i have a 20x....both are fine....10x is better.

the 20X isnt a bad scope.....and i dont regret buying it.......eye releif and clarity suffer though.........if i had to buy it again i would have just bought another 10x

Well, I popped for the 12X MRAD and a pair of Vortex rings to go on the RPR in 6mm Creed that I also popped for today. I've been on enabler forums before, but this one beats them all.

:)
I was gone from this forum for a while, I’ve only been back a few weeks but it has already cost me a new rifle, scope mount, and scope. And $300 in ammo... I still need dies, powder, bullets.... better brass, range finder...........enabling?

Yes.... that’s putting it lightly.....

I have the 16X and love it. It totally works for me. Now it might not work for you or others. I have shot it on my AI AT and Desert Tech and have gotten groups as small as sub 1/4"

For daylight use off the bench only 16x works well enough, but 20x is a bit limiting Especially in warm days when mirage can be an issue. A sunshade is a good idea in both cases though. Personally, I really prefer 10x and 12x models like most people here do for general prose use.

I even have one of my 10x42 SS scopes set up with a red dot in a 45 degree mount as a "poor man's" 1x/10x setup.

ILya

16x here. I have it mounted on my 308 and primarily used it for F T/R last year. At 600 yards it excelled.

Reactions: Billinthedesert
Don't shoot from a bench but from the fat belly prone, supported seating , and from several other supported positions. Now its not my US Optics B25 or Vortex Razor GenII but a great scope just the same. It just works.

@carson84 I would strongly advise against the 16 or 20x. I live in Georgia - same climate as you. I have the 10x, and have used it on a 22 out to 300. It is fine for steel. I have also had it on a 223 and used it out to 1000 with no problems.

I had the 12x, but like mentioned earlier the 10x is the sweet spot.

As said before many times - glass quality and clarity trump magnification all day every day, so stay away from the 16x and 20x IMO.

I'll buck the trend and say 20X will be fine for 300yd benchrest. Shooting Fclass at .5 moa X ring in the South involves a lot of mirage. There is less advantage to a lower mag to stop the target "swimming", vs actually being able to see the smaller target and learn to focus your attention in mirage. Even at much longer distances no one shoots 20X for mirage in Fclass.

Had the 16, would probably go with the 10 or 12. For the money they are GREAT in my opinion.

I have a 3-15 x 42 on one of my guns. great scope. The 10x was built for a gov. contract and was used on some marine rifles according to Tibasaurus Rex.
On a .22 I would go for a 10x. Frank also did a very favorable review on the 5-20HD.

How far would you place the brick in the one picture? I am looking at one of these but I only shoot 550 yards max. Also, I may have missed but what reticle is that ? Thanks.

Those are just across the street. Maybe 40 yards? That is a 10x and i shoot to 700 with it with ease. That is the Milquad reticle. The only one they offer I think. It’s simple and perfect.

Last edited:
What rings is everyone using? I understand we all have different guns, I'll be using mine on an AR10 and AR15. Any recommendations?

If interested in a 1-piece, the Seekins MXM is nice and priced right. I don't see it get much pub, but its what I use to swap scope between AR and my RPR.

Did a tracking test on the SWFA SS 10x 6 weeks ago and it was perfect, so was the reticle. Tested another high end scope at the same time and had to send that one back for a successful repair. Used it to shoot some matches out to 900 yards and also used it out to a mile on a 12” wide plate. I was amazed on what I could see with a 10x from SWFA.

663A2119-D5D9-4366-872D-3A14CEB86C95.jpeg

I’ve had this scope for 7 plus years as a back up.

Reactions: PBWalsh and Bender