• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes thoughts on TPS rings

Re: thoughts on TPS rings

Randy at R&D Precision (HateCa on the Hide) seems to think pretty highly of them and he is a highly respected gunsmith here. He says they are as good as Badger Ordnance but at a significantly lower cost. I've got a set of rings and base on order.

Although many have, I have never had any problem with TPS rings. I've had 4 or 5 sets and still currently run them on my primary rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M40A3peacemaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've decided to go with TPS rings. Should I go w/ aluminum or alloy steel? Where can I buy these rings at? I tried the TPS website and all 1" rings were out of stock. </div></div>

Big River

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M40A3peacemaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What does everyone think about TPS rings? I'm looking at an alternative to Leupold Mark 4 rings. Trying to stay in that price range. </div></div>

There are plenty of alternatives to Leupold Mark 4 rings, which wouldn't even be in my top half-dozen picks. Like many Leupold products, they charge a lot but don't necessarily match the quality with the price.

TPS makes a good product, but their service is spotty at best. Try getting their products from a reputable vendor, who has it in stock. Brownell's would be another source.

Another alternative, although they are 1" wide -- so tube mounting length availabilty is an important consideration -- have a look at the Burris XTR rings, now available in 1" to go with their 30mm version.

FWIW: I don't consider TPS rings to be an upgrade of Mark 4 rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't put TPS rings on my BB gun. </div></div>
We don't agree on much, but on this we do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
TPS makes a good product, but their service is spotty at best. Try getting their products from a reputable vendor, who has it in stock. Brownell's would be another source.

</div></div>

+1

I have a set of early TPS rings that have been used hard and performed flawlessly. I can not say the same for leupold mark 4 rings where my only remaining set now reside on my .22. Both claw clamps under the crossbolt nuts have bent. I carefully torque all of my ring's crossbolt nuts w/ a 65 inch pound seekonk. Only the leupold mark 4's have given me woes with this procedure. Other rings have not given me this problem and shrug off the seekonk.
Simply my personal observations.

I needed a set of 34mm rings on short notice. Called TPS direct and they had a set in stock. Had them in hand a few days later. No complaints with either customer service or product.

Mike, all due respect, what's the beef with TPS. You indeed sent me shopping and I went with Burris XTR's but, really, what is the experience with TPS that makes you have such a strong position?

TPS is an option for weaver bases, like the old style Bushmaster flat top AR's, on which pic rail sized cross bolts are too big and won't fit properly.

I got a set of them on my main rig and they are fine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LNO1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, all due respect, what's the beef with TPS. You indeed sent me shopping and I went with Burris XTR's but, really, what is the experience with TPS that makes you have such a strong position?</div></div>

Too many.

Too many issues of people being unhappy.

Too many issues of customer service being shoddy.

Too many negatives.

From a problem ratio it's probably about 5:1. Five issues with TPS vs. all others combined. Sure there are those who have some, and like them, and never had a problem, but I can find just as many with issues, whether it be CS, or rings issues, what have you.

Enough that if given a choice, there are other options where those issues are either non-existent or few and far between.

This is just my $.02 YMMV

I run three TPS ring sets on a my bolt guns and I have two more as backups and spares. I also run a TPS 20 MOA rail on a Rem Sendero in 7 rem mag.

They don't have the boutique, chi-chi factor of a USO or Badger, but then they also don't cost $170 bucks and their rails aren't $160.

I can't find much wrong with TPS as a company making a product that is reasonable in price, other than I once ordered a set of their older Ken Farrell crossbolts, gave the lady my CC over the phone and never received the bolts, although I was NEVER charged the $7 and change.

I run both their steel and aluminum rings in LOW and MEDIUM heights and everything mates up well with my TPS rail, Badger rail and Ken Farrell rail. My steel rail mated up perfectly with my M700 LA, so that's a fine product, if not a tad taller than my BO rail, but shorter than my KF 20 MOA rail.

As was mentioned above, you can order Weaver, Picatinny or KF crossbolts to run on the three different slots (Ken Farrell has begun using the correct saw blade,) so TPS rings are very flexible.

Their customer service kind of blows, or did during their move when I happened to call, but their products IME, appear to be well made and they don't cost you a kidney.

If you buy them used, like I did for a few sets, you can save even more.

Chris

I bought some steel rings when they first came out. It took a long time to get them but I have been very happy with them. I took them to a machinest buddy of mine and he was very impressed.

I think some people don't like them because they arn't part of the internet community. Also the are very often out of stock on what you need.

I have a set of steel lows on a 700P and they've worked well. I have no complaints at all about them.

All I know is I finally got a USO SN3, but I didn't land one with an Erek. After shooting a couple times and losing my zero (don't dick with your turrets when you are not shooting-"did I leave my 500yd dope on or rezero to 100?") I took the scope off my EGW base, took my TPS steel low's off the scope and sent it to Cali. When it got back with a zero-stop installed (USO's CS ROCKS!!!) I put the rings back on the rail in the same spot using my calibrated "finger tight then 1/4 turn with a wrench" method, mounted the scope in the rings and used my "tight as I can with the little end of the wrench and two fingers" cap screw method. When I went to the range I was 1/2 moa right and 1/4 min low.
Don't know if that's a testament to the rings or what but it made me happy.

I think they are quite sufficient for my needs and an excellent value.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all do respect to Randy's opinion, I wouldn't put TPS rings on my BB gun. </div></div>

fwiw,
Concur. It is the only pair of rings that bound on a 30mm tube Leupold LR 3.5-10x40 Gen 2 that left, at a minimum, of .075" plus of light before closing. I've never bought into the pressure applied to the tube by an incorrectly manufactured rings UNTIL TPS. I probabely received a fluke pair of rings, however, I'd not recommend them...fwiw & imho

Badger Ordnance would be my choice... They don't have the greatest finish in the world, however, I've never come by a more dimensionally correct ring...fwiw & imho

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

TPS rings are great. Been running them a long time on Randy's recommendation. Stop being gear snobs. If they cost 150$ you'd fucking love them.

Seekins and NightForce (Ultralight) rings are my favorite.

Hi all, When Randy(R&D) was reworking my Remmy, a couple of years ago, he saw a problem with my MK-4 rings on my B/O base. He had a set of steel TPS low rings in stock at what I thought was a GREAT price. I have been using them ever since. Would buy them again. I'm NOT LEO and the only thing I hunt is paper & steel, BUT I only want to buy my stuff once and FWIW: That's what I feel that I did(Thanks Randy)with these rings from TPS.
Respectfully,
LG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all, When Randy(R&D) was reworking my Remmy, a couple of years ago, he saw a problem with my MK-4 rings on my B/O base. He had a set of steel TPS low rings in stock at what I thought was a GREAT price. I have been using them ever since. Would buy them again. I'm NOT LEO and the only thing I hunt is paper & steel, BUT I only want to buy my stuff once and FWIW: That's what I feel that I did(Thanks Randy)with these rings from TPS.
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>

If memory serves, I think Randy once posted that he had had issues more with the TPS rails than with their rings, although I could be wrong on this.

Mel over on Sniper's Central did a review of TPS rings and a rail, which you can read and had an issue with the TPS rail's rear screw hole not lining up on a Rem 700, IIRC. He made due for the test, then contacted TPS who I believe stated that Remington had changed their spacing and not contacted or posted this fact for rail makers, so it was more on their end than TPS's end, but the end result was the same.

I don't own any other major maker rings, other than a set of ARMS #22 for my AR plinker and my TPS stuff works well and by buying stuff from guys here like Rhino and others, I've saved quite a bit and I've put that money into reloading components or better scopes.

I can compare rails, as I have the Ken Farrell, BO and TPS 20 moa 1 piece rails and given my druthers, I prefer the shorter (less tall) BO. I got that here from Rhino for $104 shipped, USED and my TPS/KF rails here for like $55 shipped, also USED, so the BO was twice as much as both of those brands.

Chris

I have had good luck with TPS rings (both 30mm and 35mm). As far as the customer service goes, I talked to Phil over at TPS a few times and never really had any problems with products or customer service.

I have played with Badger rings and they have been excellent. NO experience with Seekins, yet. For the money I have found TPS and Warne to work well for me.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrButterpants</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TPS rings are great. Been running them a long time on Randy's recommendation. Stop being gear snobs. If they cost 150$ you'd fucking love them. </div></div>

Really? I thought them a pieceofshit when they failed to line up/work on the first rifle/scope and the rings were sent to me at no charge. A dicked-up ring for free is still a dicked-up ring. If they cost $150 no doubt someone would buy them. Likely you from your posts. I personally look for performance and not price...

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions or comments...

Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia
757-581-6270

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrButterpants</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TPS rings are great. Been running them a long time on Randy's recommendation. Stop being gear snobs. If they cost 150$ you'd fucking love them.</div></div>

If they were $1.50 I wouldn't even like them.

"gear snobs" hahaha classic. I didn't realize when you had to rely on shit that works that makes you a "gear snob". I'll have to tell all of my mechanic friends who make their living from working on vehicles that because they use "Snap On", they're "tool snobs" and don't give a shit about quality or dependability, they only want the "cool factor".

Express your opinion but don't be a tool.

Gear Snobs? THAT's Classic stupidity. I have TPS on my GAP AI, but it came that way. It works fine. No issues, but I also have yet to break over 100 rounds with it. I been riding more than shooting, that's all.
I have a new set of A.R.M.S #22's(THANK YOU L!) Tha I may swap them to for ease of use in moving the scope from that rifle to my inbound stick. AS to zero, well once it is xeroed to two different rifles, and the dope is set in stone, NP.
A Gear Snob only buys gear for how much it costs and no more. A Gearhead buys the stuff that has the most resistance to failure in hardened conditions. Opinons to equipment herein from the most highly respected shooters and competitors are wrought from years of hard use, not how much was spent on a range queen to show off. Man, what tool made up that phrase? Gear Snob....ROFLMMFAO!!!

I was going to buy TPS, but since they didnt have any in stock and didnt reply on emails, I bought badger. Never had a problem.

Guys,
I got just three things to say about rings and bases.

SEEKINS
SEEKINS
SEEKINS

End of discussion for me. Glen is a great guy and great to deal with.

SOTA

I have had two sets of their rings , for the money their not bad but they did require a bit more lapping to get them strait , would have likely put a nice ring in a scope if used out of the box , I bought one set from Brownells that had a screw already broke off in the ring , Brownells replaced it.

I'll take a set of Seekins rings over just about anybodys anyday of the week ,I have yet to try a set of USO so I can't comment their , but currently use IOR's rings on my IOR scope and their pretty nice but heavy.

JJONES,
I gotta set if USO rings and a base. Rings are good. The base you gotta shorten the screws to get them to fit on a Rem 700. I like the base but it is kinda pain to get screws to fit.

SOTA

I do not and will not support TPS. Two times they lost my order, both times with product in stock and with Lori having said product according to her in her hand to send me. They still owe me $65 plus shipping from my last order a year ago. The BBB and AG of Oregon have been little help either, its only $65 (to them) and cost more to go further than to just eat the coin. They have yet to respond to me by email, 3 different email accounts I tried or phone after daily email and phone messages for 13 straight days last year, that is right a year ago Dec. I finally got a hold of Phil and he told me he was a consultant, not the owner and the owner had been informed of my frustration and he still did not respond to me.

The base they sent me was very ruff and had sharp edge that cut my finger, rings had milling marks that look like some 5 year old took a rat tail file to finish them and bound up my SS when I slid it into the rings. Lapping bar and to be forced into the rings. I was set to shoot them and send them back to TPS but sold them to someone who wanted them so glad he got what he wants.

Glen at Seekins, very class act and there is no comparison to the quality between Seekins and TPS. Customer service with Glen has little equal, TPS has no integrability or service of any type. Not a solid word from me about TPS, they can go under for all I care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for the money their not bad but they did require a bit more lapping to get them strait</div></div>

That is an understatement The only set I have had experience with took a lot of elbow grease to get lapped properly. Never had to put much effort into lapping Badger, NF, or Mark 4 rings. I would hate to know what a scope tube looks like after being mounted in those junkers straight out of the box.

Like Mike said, would't buy 'em @ $1.50.

TPS rings.... terrible product.... terrible service.... At least the are consistent in that respect but they sure aren't in holding an optic.

Edit: (felt I should elaborate so as not to be making a worthless post)
Last set I used I tightened according to their manual to the specifications mentioned on the TPS forum. Scope slid in the rings under recoil when mounted over a heavy .308. Nothing heavily recoiling. Replaced them with Badgers and never thought about my rings ever again since.

Although if you want to feel like a truly special customer and want a top notch and absolutely beautiful piece of machinery Seekins Precision rings will never disappoint!

I have a set of seekings 30 MM rings on my FN SPR and a set of 35mm TPS rings on my AR SPR rifle.

To be honest, the TPS rings are absolute shit. One they do not even line up on some of my larue rails. 2 they are discolored and look to almost have a rust tint from the factory. The machining on them is horrid as well. The only reason I got them was they came free with a 2-12x32 IOR i bought from scott at Liberty Optics. I wish i would have taken the IOR rings instead.

The Seekings rings on my SPR are flawless. what a great design and craftsmanship. Honestly I see no point in buying any other rings with the quality/price/integrity of glen.

I have a set of TPS rings in 35mm for my IOR. Beatifully made and have no problems in the last 3000 rounds. I was so impressed with them that I wanted to order another set in 30mm for a new rifle. to validate some of the other customer service observations, I couldn't get them to return my calls, so I went elsewhere.

Ended up using a set of Burris XTR rings. I bedded the rings to the scope using JB Weld. Custom fit / rock solid. Couldn't be happier.

--Rootshot

I looked at TPS (only thing in stock at local shop) but they didn't have low. They ordered. In the mean time, I did like you and inquired here ultimately letting Mike and others convince me they are shit. Went with XTR low on the FN SPR 20MOA base and love them. Beefy and rugged as hell.

On the way from FN are the following. Besides FN good luck finding them but they pass the initial beef check!

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF053&gid=FNG016&mid=FNM0148