• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Threaded vs. quick detach suppressor?

Re: Threaded vs. quick detach suppressor?

I've got thousands of rounds of 308 through my 2 .30 cal supressors, an AWC ThunderTrap and a YHM SS QD. I prefer the QD as it seems to have less POI shift and more repleateble zero return, and with 2-3 other guns outfitted with the QD mount, I've got brakes for them when I'm not running the can.

I can't understand why the obvious benifits of QD are not stated here. I use a Titan Ti QD on my DTA. I have a 26" and a 16" 338 LM barrels as well as smaller caliber barrels.

The need for a muzzlebreak on a 338 LM is obvious and the fact that I can't shoot it supressed all the time (shooting game or fur bearing animals) dictates that either I need to install and remove a break everytime I can't shoot suppressed or I get a QD brake. Easy call for me. Also, some of the ideas on here are just plain wrong. I have both thread on and QD. My thread on comes loose regularly, my QD never does.

I recently called AAC about one of my mounts and they immediately shipped me a new one at no charge because it had over 1 MOA of POI shift. Now all 5 of my barrels have less than 1 MOA of POI shift. Also, my group tighten up about 1/4 MOA vs no suppressor. Very imperssive if you ask me.
Furthermore, I run a TAB mirage cover that does not get hot with a bolt action rifle. I can QD/QA anytime I want without burning my hands.

I'm not trying to be a brand fanboy, there probably is other manufacturers here on the Hide that will do the same things as my AAC. That said, I can not find anything at all negative about QD. Just thought I'd throw out more food for thought.

Wade.

I understand the Nordlock argument.

I can't tell if Rollingthunder51 is trying to imply that 65 cents is too expensive or not, but I would like to offer- our QD systems alone- independent of the suppressor cost ~$200 to manufacture so it is not for lack of desire to spend that we dislike the Nordlock option.

$0.65 is an insignificant expense as is $4.09. Looking at the prices- one stainless pair is sold at McMaster for $4.09 (the part we used at one time) it is Rockwell C 51- meaning they are coining the geometry and the hardness is from cold reduction.

We did consider supplying one thread mount in the past with Nord-locks. What we didn't like were the following:

The Nord Lock is designed for a more coarse pitch than 1/2x28, so you tighten the washer pair, and then there is a considerable degree of loosening that must occur prior to the washer pair locking up, on account of the wedge lock surface geometry. This implies that an end user could tighten the suppressor, and experience poor alignment for one round or two rounds between tight and locked up.

This is one issue with the product that can be overcome with a procedure or tightening the can, and then hand "un-tightening" it anti-clockwise to load the washer pair.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The less desirable feature we experienced?</span>
The 1/2x28 application of a 1/2x13 product creates a situation where torque to remove the suppressor is much greater than torque to install (on the order of maybe even 50FT lbs+). This is not a design intention of the product as 1/2x28 threads were never even a consideration- this is an industrial product for bolts and nuts which are not 28 pitch threaded.

We also saw some damage to the thread shoulder and SS suppressor rear mounting surfaces through use of the Nordlock- IE the first mounting and dismounting operation distorted and shaved some metal on these surfaces. (this shaving would be present on every cycle from what we could tell- the washer pair is harder than barrel and suppressor steels so the "wear parts" are not the washer halves- they are the barrel and suppressor mating surfaces)

You don't like wrench flats on a suppressor mount? Well you certainly need them to remove a nord-lock attached 1/2x28 suppressor. No wrench flats? Well you will then probably need a $97.31, heavy duty, industrial strap wrench to generate the required dismounting torque. A smaller light duty wrench simply will not get the job done.

12" iron handled heavy duty strap wrench $97.31

Now the customer is into the product $101.40, and it's still not a QD system.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Does the Nord-lock work ?

Absolutely.

Does the Nord-lock work well for the application of a user friendly, reliable suppressor attachment companion to a well designed product?

Absolutely not. </span>

What sense does it make to invest $101.40 in a system for one customer to have a completely stone age lock washer attachment system that inputs wear to the $600+ suppressor and $350+ barrel rather than the $4.09 washer pair, when QD systems which are free of these issues are approximately slightly less than twice that price?

<span style="font-weight: bold">It probably amazes some people that a simple application of a lock washer requires this much thought, but that's the idea of engineering- you don't just throw a product at a problem, you apply it and evaluate it. And this product failed to meet our expectations, so we don't use them. </span>