• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Throat erosion and chasing lands

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Got a 6br last month. Used my Hornady OAL guage on 3 different bullets when I got it.

One was the 107 SMK. It averaged CBTO 1.8120. After 300 rounds it is 1.8250 CBTO.

Is that a lot?

I've read people chase the lands, ive read people don't. I watched Erik Cortinas video on why chasing lands is stupid. I've watched other videos saying you definitely should.

Just for a general consensus I suppose. Do you chase the lands?

Not unless accuracy starts to suffer. In which case I will measure and adjust.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    Just ensure you are broken in and find the node for seating depth. Use the absolute shortest jump that is still in the node before it falls apart. Now you will just get into the middle of the node and end of the node over your barrel's life. No need to chase lands since you are still in the node, unless you are WAY at the end of your barrel's life and trying to eek out just a bit more before the barrel is shot out. In other words, you should only have to chase the lands once during the life of your barrel, if ever.

Just ensure you are broken in and find the node for seating depth. Use the absolute shortest jump that is still in the node before it falls apart. Now you will just get into the middle of the node and end of the node over your barrel's life. No need to chase lands since you are still in the node, unless you are WAY at the end of your barrel's life and trying to eek out just a bit more before the barrel is shot out. In other words, you should only have to chase the lands once during the life of your barrel, if ever.
    That's the thing. So some of the first rounds I sent through it, when I was fire forming brass were 5 shot groups in the .4s and .3s. I verified the load. And then went on to shoot other bullets and try other things. After about 300 rounds I went back to shooting the same bullet, and im getting groups that are almost an inch.

I did do seating depth tests and it shit well between .015-.025. so perhaps some adjusting is in order?