Gunsmithing Throat Question

treedoc

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Virginia
Question:

I had a 300WSM built and have a question. I shoot 185 Bergers and 168 Barnes and the ogive sits right on top of the brass. I mean within .002" of the top of the brass (2.900"). Groups are inconsistent and not repeatable.

I don't have any options with regards to OAL or COAL and my question is:

What would you recommend??

I was thinking about have the throat cut deeper (longer) to give me more options with regards to depths.

Your thoughts....please.

jcallan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2011
Wylie,Texas
Re: Throat Question

In regards to your question I had a similiar situation with a 260. It was cut with a .040 free bore. I took a case and set the neck tension where the bullet would slide in and out fairly easy and measured how long I could get it and still run from an AI mage. Once I had the bullet where I wanted it I measured the length from the ogive with a comparator. I left a little room for chasing the lands but ended up having the free bore changed to a .100. As far as shooting in my opinion it made a lot of difference due to being able to tune the seating depth and adding case capacity. Just remember to do this with the longest bullet you intend on shooting.

treedoc

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Virginia
Re: Throat Question

Thanks for the help. I had it built on a long action so I have room to tune with the mag feed. I'll follow your advice and drop it off this week for the throat work.

Thanks again.