• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Throat Question

treedoc

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
Virginia
Question:

I had a 300WSM built and have a question. I shoot 185 Bergers and 168 Barnes and the ogive sits right on top of the brass. I mean within .002" of the top of the brass (2.900"). Groups are inconsistent and not repeatable.

I don't have any options with regards to OAL or COAL and my question is:

What would you recommend??

I was thinking about have the throat cut deeper (longer) to give me more options with regards to depths.

Your thoughts....please.

Re: Throat Question

In regards to your question I had a similiar situation with a 260. It was cut with a .040 free bore. I took a case and set the neck tension where the bullet would slide in and out fairly easy and measured how long I could get it and still run from an AI mage. Once I had the bullet where I wanted it I measured the length from the ogive with a comparator. I left a little room for chasing the lands but ended up having the free bore changed to a .100. As far as shooting in my opinion it made a lot of difference due to being able to tune the seating depth and adding case capacity. Just remember to do this with the longest bullet you intend on shooting.

Re: Throat Question

Thanks for the help. I had it built on a long action so I have room to tune with the mag feed. I'll follow your advice and drop it off this week for the throat work.

Thanks again.