• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Through the Tube Pictures

I need to correct my self. Please ignore post. I had my range wrong. The deer were at 335yds. The phone gets close but doesn't quite do the job on what we could see. We could easily drop them last night and I am okay with the purchase. Still curious about opinions on the MR vs the LR

Anything in particular you would like to know about the differences between the two?

Yes. Clarity at distance. I am headed out right now and will try to get some pics. Now that I know I can see and hit targets at 300 with the NV set up I have. I'm curious how much clearer the LR is at that distance. More time behind the glass is needed at different ranges. I was under the impression I would be able to see leaves and branches at 400yds. I can say that is not true with the MR but would like to know if is true w/ the CO-LR 3P

care to share your camera equipment and technique? great pictures!!!!!

For pictures through the TVS-5 and PVS-4, spacing between camera lens and ocular of the system is most important (between 3-4 inches of separation).

Camera used: Panasonic GF1 w/20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Lens (four years old and unmodified).

White Balance set to 7600K. The white balance is one of the most important setting. White balance allows the camera to perfectly replicate the spectral radiance of the phosphor.

Mounting/Coupling hardware: Orion SteadyPix Deluxe Universal Mount

Last edited:
Can I expect more from the CO-LR 3P?

This is at 80yds and I'm happy with this resolution.

jusu9y8e.jpg

This is at 135yds and I expected more.

nutuvyje.jpg

I'm using the Illuminator that came with the CO-MR 3P. It's 840NM. How much of a difference would I get from another Illuminator? (Surefire M1 or TNVC Torch Pro)

These pics were taken last night. Full moon / overcast. The feeder at 135yds is at 1 o'clock from the tip of the site post.

That is a pvs-14 with a L3 tube I just held my Casio digital camera behind it for the pic.

Yes. Clarity at distance. I am headed out right now and will try to get some pics. Now that I know I can see and hit targets at 300 with the NV set up I have. I'm curious how much clearer the LR is at that distance. More time behind the glass is needed at different ranges. I was under the impression I would be able to see leaves and branches at 400yds. I can say that is not true with the MR but would like to know if is true w/ the CO-LR 3P
Sorry for the delay.
That would depend largely on your day optic. Most guys that buy clip-on's don't skimp on day optics, but it's worth saying several times anyway.
Under the right conditions, or with IR supplement, and with a good day scope, you should be able to see leaves at that distance with the LR and have a good picture with the MR. The CO-MR provides a crisp image up to 7x magnification, so seeing leaves at 400 would be tough, but the tree itself should look clear and crisp. Try illuminating the target at that distance and then focusing and see if you get a crisp image.
The CO-LR is good up to 12x, and beyond with certain scopes. It has a little better glass than the CO-MR, and a larger objective, so you are going to get a slightly better picture at the same magnification. That said, I do like the CO-MR better for some applications where I don't have the rail space for the LR, Or for running it on an AR where I wont engage targets past 400-500.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help where I can.

P.S. to everyone...sorry for the long delay in responses. I just got back home today from a trip, so I will work non-stop until I get back to all of you.

Here is my daytime scope... They don't make them any better IMO.

Also including pics if alignment to rule out reasons for bad clarity.

yne5u2eg.jpg

3amehyvu.jpg

Two things..

1st - I'm starting to think I hijacked this thread. This will be the last post of my problems.

2nd - I spent 45 min on the phone w/ Steven Budolyva from Armasight. He looked at the images I posted here on the hide and was not pleased at all. I am going out again this weekend to a friend's ranch. Steven told me he will have the NVO back to me before I leave on Friday. He told me what to expect from the CO-MR 3P and from the sound of it I will be very pleased!! He also took care of me with an upgrade on an attachment for which I am very pleased! I will make up for the hijack w/ lots of pics to come in the future!

So far from the customer service side of things Armasight has been top notch! In no way could Steven have done a better job that what he has done so far. I will update on the Co-MR 3P w/ pics and with the customer service as soon as my NVO arrives. I just mailed it back to them and they said I will have it back on Thursday... Not bad!!

GAP 308,
Your going to get a huge difference with an aftermarket illuminator.I got the CO-MR HD gen2 and quite honestly the IR that comes with them is weak sauce.I was kinda bummed out,but after I got one it brought it to life.
PM me,I'll give you the rundown on some illuminators.

Two things..

1st - I'm starting to think I hijacked this thread. This will be the last post of my problems.

2nd - I spent 45 min on the phone w/ Steven Budolyva from Armasight. He looked at the images I posted here on the hide and was not pleased at all. I am going out again this weekend to a friend's ranch. Steven told me he will have the NVO back to me before I leave on Friday. He told me what to expect from the CO-MR 3P and from the sound of it I will be very pleased!! He also took care of me with an upgrade on an attachment for which I am very pleased! I will make up for the hijack w/ lots of pics to come in the future!

So far from the customer service side of things Armasight has been top notch! In no way could Steven have done a better job that what he has done so far. I will update on the Co-MR 3P w/ pics and with the customer service as soon as my NVO arrives. I just mailed it back to them and they said I will have it back on Thursday... Not bad!!

Steven is a good guy. They are not a huge company, so they take CS seriously. I have no doubt he will take care of you. Don't worry about a highjack, let us know how it does when you get it back.

GAP 308,
Your going to get a huge difference with an aftermarket illuminator.I got the CO-MR HD gen2 and quite honestly the IR that comes with them is weak sauce.I was kinda bummed out,but after I got one it brought it to life.
PM me,I'll give you the rundown on some illuminators.

You are not joking! Armasight upgraded my IR Illuminator to the IR850W. It's a game changer. I had the TNVC Torch Pro ordered but cancelled after Steven took care of me.

Update: Armasight fixed my RS-MR 3P and had it back to me by yesterday morning. Busted their ass and held true to their word. +1 for Customer Service!

I will edit later to tell distances.

etatanyz.jpg

ege6yzuq.jpg

The Illuminator has a reticle when you have it focused. That was a surprise.

3e3e9e7a.jpg

u3e8asan.jpg

Day optic is a Leopold Mark IV 1-6.
Gun is an LWRC Operator.

Photos taken w/ iPhone.

I love the ACOG/T-70 combo!

Here is a view through my ELCAN Specter DR 1.25-6X-42mm though the FLIR GS T-50 at my game cam tree at 175 yards @ 6X power.

Specter%20Reticule%20T50.jpg

The T-50 is only a 320 core but it sure does work really well, killed allot of hogs and dogs with it over the years....

T50%20Double.jpg

First%20T-50.jpg

SIG%20716%20T50%20285lb%20Hog.jpg

T50%20&%20Boar.jpg

T50%20Big%20BoarC.jpg

Sig%20716%20T50%20Hog.jpg

T50%20CoyoteB.jpg

T50%20Coyote%20NV.jpg

Image Intensifier Tube

Another 'through the tube' image, this one is of the North American Nebula.

Hummmmmm lets see, Hawaii on one hand which means beautiful girls in bikinis, soft blowing trade winds, mind boggling scenery, super tall mountains that you can see the heavens, much clearer than from anywhere in the continental US

Or

Arkansas....

If I am getting a 2 micron tube out of the vault, it's going somewhere pretty LOL

Last edited:
2µm

Salt in the wound!

What a sad waste of a 2µm tube. Put that tube in my hands and I'll commit such gratuitous posting offenses that no one will ever want to hear about 2µm tubes again. Just imagine the potential here, 13,000ft up a hottie with a naughty body is silhouette'd against the Milky Way...

Back to reality, here are some point-and-shoot photo's I took back in 2007 from the SE side of Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa is off in the background with the saddle area between:

Need to get back over there, the 2µm tube might just be a good enough excuse.

BTW: Tubes don't age like fine wines!

Last edited:
Hummmmmm lets see, Hawaii on one hand which means beautiful girls in bikinis, soft blowing trade winds, mind boggling scenery, super tall mountains that you can see the heavens, much clearer than from anywhere in the continental US

Or

Arkansas....

If I am getting a 2 micron tube out of the vault, it's going somewhere pretty LOL

Obviously you've never seen our world class trailer parks!

I went out last night to take some pics through the PVS-12 but it was pouring rain...definitely a thermal night! Ill go back out tonight and get pics through it and a few others.

I was going to go out and take some NV photos and videos tonight too but it is going to rain for the next two days so will have to stick with thermal.

I just got my new digital Olympus TG-850 as an upgrade for my TG-830 for use in my Morovision MonoCam so I could use it underwater if I wanted to but NV does not work so good underwater.

The view through the TG-850s awesome super wide-angle 21-105mm 5x optical zoom lens is just great and takes outstanding night videos full 1980X1080P HD @ 60fps through NV too with the 16 megapixel CMOS.

I like the TG-830 real good, it is an outstanding kick ass outdoor camera for going on hunts way deep in the swamps, but the TG-850 with the killer wide angle lens adds even more panoramic awesomeness to an already dynomite NV photo/video package.

Movies are saved in a .MOV container with H.264 compression instead of raw AVI and of course photos are JPG.

It can also record in 640X480 video at 240 frames per second for some nice slo-mo NV video editing.

Last edited:
Here are some extremely crappy pictures through the AN/PVS-12 Aquila. I was just hand holding the scope and the iPhone 4s and the shuttered eye guard was still on. Not to mention it is just a picture of a telephone pole and some cedar trees. When I'm not being lazy I will get out and take some better pictures of something more exciting.

tfmQp5Z.jpg

HXM6LUw.jpg

Here is one that is a little cooler though. I managed to capture a picture of lightening through my Pinnacle tubed PVS-14 after about 100 tries.

MuDwOyv.jpg

Best way that I have found to catch lightening with an iPhone is to video it. Then snap a screenshot of the video. The slow-mo feature works pretty good for this.

My two English setters, one male, one female (Night Combat Solutions will be selling English Setter puppies here shortly because someone was poking around where they shouldn't have been). Range: point blank. I have security camera's all around my house and the IR lights on them were waaaayyy too bright on the dogs. Pics taken with a Pinnacle tubed PVS-14 and an iPhone 4s, hence the crappyness.
Q2oQA7C.jpg

kB1iPfC.jpg

Same dog, same range, same location, same time...but through the Spark C.O.R.E. Obviously not Gen3, but not bad for a helmet/head/weapons mountable optic that is only a little over $500.
6yoIS3r.jpg

Same as above, but Gen 2 ID. ETA, not focused really well, I will redo it. With a lot of IR supplemental light, such as in the photo's, the Spark looks a touch better than the gen 2. However, if you don't have that amount of IR light, the Gen 2 will pull ahead due to superior light gain, even thought the spark has higher resolution.
028IiGQ.jpg

Took the Armasight CO-MR 3P out tonight and hand ranges.

At 110 yds

yhape6up.jpg

At 200 yds. This is a 5 gallon water bottle on top of a dove hunting bucket
pugenu6u.jpg

There was no visible moon tonight and partly overcast is why I couldn't see it.
Scope is a SWFA 1-6x24

Thoughts?

Magnification was at full power (6)

The bucket is the shiny object at 11 o'clock in the reticle

Took the Armasight CO-MR 3P out tonight and hand ranges.

At 110 yds

yhape6up.jpg

At 200 yds. This is a 5 gallon water bottle on top of a dove hunting bucket
pugenu6u.jpg

There was no visible moon tonight and partly overcast is why I couldn't see it.
Scope is a SWFA 1-6x24

Thoughts?
You are getting better pictures than I ever do through any of my clip-ons. Are you happy with it, looking through it in person? I don't know what part of Tx you are in, but I get down that way from time to time, so if you want to see the other ones in person to compare, I would gladly make it happen.

I have been slacking lately on the picture taking. Anyone have any requests for pics from a specific unit?

Yes but not of or through specific systems.

I'd really like to see a bunch of white phosphor photos from both Photonis and Ekran WP tubes, preferably in 1x monocular systems.

It takes a lot of time to take and post photos so not holding you to anything.

Yes but not of or through specific systems.

I'd really like to see a bunch of white phosphor photos from both Photonis and Ekran WP tubes, preferably in 1x monocular systems.

It takes a lot of time to take and post photos so not holding you to anything.
I can make that happen. The photonis tubes are pretty phenominal, and the Ekran's are pretty good too.

I should add that neither is going to be up there with an L3 WP, but they are still great. I guessing you already know that, but I'm throwing it out anyway.

I have a foot long section of rail that I am going to make a mount out of that will allow me to use a clip on, day scope, and camera in conjunction.

Here is a picture through a Vampire 3x that uses the same CORE tube as the Spark. I couldn't tell you what it was like that night as it was probably 3 months ago. It is no match for gen3, but it's also pretty good for a $749 scope that comes with an illuminator, QD mounts, and finger adjustable turrets.

KT9tw78.jpg

Was the ir on in this pic? What was the range?